AuthorMessage
LittleMissCee
Administrator
LittleMissCee

Female
Number of posts : 2103
Registration date : 2010-01-03

process from band to sleeve? Empty
PostSubject: Re: process from band to sleeve?   process from band to sleeve? EmptySat 10 May 2014, 5:15 am

Ladies timeout please.

We all have differing opinions, but at the end of the day - we're all on this site because of one reason. We have a weight problem and we sought help for it.

How or why we came to that decision, is nobody's business, and for no-one else to judge.

We're here to share our stories, offer advice and TRY to be positive for others. Unless you walk in their shoes, you can't pass judgement!

Please start playing nice.

Carissa
GSS Admin.
Back to top Go down
Sugarkiwi

Female
Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2014-04-23

PostSubject: Re: process from band to sleeve?   process from band to sleeve? EmptySat 10 May 2014, 4:10 am

How nice of people to offer their advice.  Obviously my posts have got your attention, such a shame that you have felt the need to question my values and personal journey.  
Before your own weight loss it must have been amazing to have such confidence in yourselves to not question your decision and how lucky you obviously were to not have people tell you to diet, exercise, do it the hard way or that surgery is the easy way out.  I'm assuming your luck because you dare to assume my intentions. 
My band has done its job, but it's stopped doing it. I don't follow the rules as I stated but I know what and how much I can and cannot eat.  I will not provide those that want to question my intentions with personal information to justify myself.  My journey with my weight and health has been long and hard enough without sharing with those that don't matter in my life 
Lizzy, you have been my support for life prior to, during and after weight-loss, you have repaid me in education and honest Q&A time without once questioning my intent or need for a sleeve - that is what makes you a valued member to anyone on this site.  
I can take criticism,  hey!  I'm fat! Criticism is common place in my world, so bring it on if you feel your questions on my decisions are the focus of your time here.   I chose to ignore them and look for positive replies that support me in my journey.   Mooner
Back to top Go down
Lizzy.
Lizzy.

Female
Number of posts : 1477
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: process from band to sleeve?   process from band to sleeve? EmptySat 10 May 2014, 3:43 am

Although I have no idea what life is like with a band, I'm going to qualify myself to jump in here because Sugarkiwi has been my closest friend out there in the real world for almost 20 years.

Although she is very irreverent (much like me, maybe that is why we are perfect together!), I can safely say that she isn't going into this half cocked, especially not with her professional background. All her little ducks are lined up in regards to her surgeon and his team, and she is more than ready for the new commitments that being sleeved presents. She has been with me on every step of my own journey. We have spent more time than I care to imagine talking about the sleeve, how I've coped (or not) with certain issues, what to possibly expect, what not to possibly expect, and many other sleeve related subjects. I guess I've been her own personal seminar which so far has lasted over six months!

The band was great for her in the beginning, but like so many other people, it isn't anymore. Possibly tooting my own horn here, but what the hell.. beep beep.. seeing how well I have done so far, how happy I am, has given her the kick up the bum she probably needed to pick herself up and start again, the only difference is she will be travelling in the same lane as me on the freeway now, instead of two lanes over.
Back to top Go down
Ottopia
Part of the furniture
Ottopia

Female
Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2014-01-27

PostSubject: Re: process from band to sleeve?   process from band to sleeve? EmptyFri 09 May 2014, 10:05 pm

Sugarwiki, Garfield99 is correct,
Sleeving is not a quick fix or an easy way out, but it is a great tool if you are willing to put in the hard yards along with it, and to change your lifelong habits and behaviours.
Hope all is going well.
Back to top Go down
Garfield99
Part of the furniture
Garfield99

Female
Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2012-02-15

PostSubject: Re: process from band to sleeve?   process from band to sleeve? EmptyFri 09 May 2014, 9:29 pm

Sugarkiwi wrote:
Apparently I've exchanged snoring for burping all night.
This sounds like over eating and possibly reflux.  You could end up spewing up in your sleep during the night and choking on it.  Are you taking reflux meds?  And importantly are you keeping portion control and ensuring you are not eating at all a few hours before lying down?

Sugarkiwi wrote:
So..  I've made up my mind that I want a sleeve.  I'm worried how I convince my GP and surgeon to agree with me, how do I cope if they just tell me that I'm not following the rules?
This statement greatly concerned me as I it doesn't sound like you are taking WLS seriously, using it as a tool to lose weight, instead it sounds like you relying on it to do the work without having to work at it.  All WLS will work if you do not have your head in right place and use it correctly, not just short term - but for the rest of your life!

I suggest you go to a few seminars to really learn what life is about with the sleeve and even see a psychologist regularly to ensure you are in the right headspace before you have the operation and continue to see them afterwards so you continue to work at it

For those people who have had a dream run with the sleeve it's because they are working with it correctly, not fighting it in every way possible.  They eat the right foods.  They don't try to eat breads or carbs, junk, lollies or return to their old eating habits.  They are continually monitoring their weight almost daily, knowing what works for them and what doesn't.  They don't get 4weeks out and try to have a sandwich then cry about it saying when am I going to eat normal food again because they have realise eating what they used to consider normal food is what got them on the operating table and approved for WLS in the first place.  Any signs of trouble e.g. pain, reflux, tummy not feeling right, they are straight back to their surgeon or dietician to ensure they are following the plan correctly.

I had the lapband, it was shit, I hated it.  But for several people it worked - but they worked at it hard!  Sleeve is initially a little bit easier for the first 3 months for most (not all) sleevers as they have no appetite, but it does come back - with a vengence and that is when you need to kick yourself and work at it.  This is where you may here stories of people losing 15kg and never losing another kilo again, because they thought they didn't need to work at it.  Hey, that's how they sell it too - loose half your stomach, lose those gherlin hunger hormones and lose weight.  Don't be fooled into this marketing ploy.  You will need to continue to work closely with your surgeon and dietician for the rest of your life even after you hit goal so you can go into maintain phase.  Are you ready to make that commitment?  Are you seriously ready to change your life completely around to make this work?  Only YOU can do this if you work hard and for some, it's harder then others - there are tears, plateaus, depression, frustration and if you persist through that you can have success with any type of WLS!  Good luck :-)
Back to top Go down
Sugarkiwi

Female

PostSubject: Thanks   process from band to sleeve? EmptyFri 25 Apr 2014, 3:40 am

My surgeon is usually very understanding, I wonder if my concern is more that I'm actually afraid of a no now that I've made up my mind. Right now I feel older than my 50+ years and I don't like it.  Six years ago having a sleeve was not an option but banding was taking off like crazy. Have I mentioned more than 1,0000 times yet that I WANT a sleeve? Lol Arse
Back to top Go down
Ottopia
Part of the furniture
Ottopia

Female
Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2014-01-27

PostSubject: Re: process from band to sleeve?   process from band to sleeve? EmptyFri 25 Apr 2014, 3:30 am

Hi Sugarkiwi,
most of the research out there is suggesting that the efficacy of the band isn't anywhere as good as once thought- because of all the complications. It is a mechanical barrier (that can be bypassed easily with the 'wrong' food/sliders) but it does not act on our hormonal impetus for hunger which is Grehlin (hormonal).

I had my sleeve from 2009 to 2013 and I had no fills after the first month as my port rejected and had to be removed. I still had some fill though and for 3 years steadily regained all the weight I lost and more by 'sliding' frequently and throwing up pretty well everything else. Ended up with a life threatening abscess from band malfunction and had it removed in 2013.

Now in 2014 I am 3 months post sleeve and am back to what I weighed at my lightest with the band. I have thrown up once since having the sleeve (after an encounter with some too strong liquid vitamins in the first week eewwwww). I can successfully eat about 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup of food at a time if I take it slow and enjoy it. I do not have reflux. I no longer snore, or wake with bile in my throat from the band at night. I burp or hiccup if I eat too quick or too much, but I can gauge this so much better than the band. AND finally, I am not hungry. I no longer crave choccies or chip pies, or takeaway. I get hungry after exercising- good honest "i have done some work and I am hungry" and I do not need to slide or binge to fix this. I don't want to do the sliders cos I don't need to.

Everyone I see says I am glowing, and for the first time in my life I am enjoying exercise. I couldn't after the band as when I exercised the band felt constricted and I usually threw up!

I asked my surgeon should I go straight to the bypass as I was terrified of the sleeve not working. He refused and I am so glad he did.

Don't get me wrong- the sleeve is hard going at times but nowhere as difficult as the band and so much more successful (for me so far anyways). it is still only a tool and you need your headspace right to succeed with it.

Find a surgeon who is supportive and who explains the risks of the procedure. Most people have their band out and then wait for about 3 months for the sleeve. Some with no stomach (internal) scarring from the band have it all in one procedure but it depends on your surgeon. I had to wait nearly a year because of the extensive damage in my belly from my band malfunction and infection.

All the best

Llyr
Back to top Go down
Sugarkiwi

Female

PostSubject: Re: process from band to sleeve?   process from band to sleeve? EmptyFri 25 Apr 2014, 2:57 am

Six years ago when I got my band I was so so happy. Over time I've gone from 130kgs to a " happy enough" weight of around 86kgs. I haven't had a fill in years and restriction has always been good. My weight started to increase again and weight watchers/ tony ferguson/and all the diets with fancy names haven't helped. WW was the hardest because I couldn't eat all the calories and would vomit often. I actually put weight on and quickly found a reason to stop attending meetings and being weighed. I've been back to my surgeon once in the last two years who suggested removing all my fill and re-starting. I think I actually ran from his rooms at the thought of MY fill being taken and haven't returned since. I eat maybe once a day, if I eat. I do however vacuum down the large size chocolate frogs almost continually, if the frog pile looks low the licorice is always a back up. I'm feeling slow, my anxiety and depression is increasing after being quiet for some time. I want to eat without being sure that I'm within a fast walk/waddle to a toilet where I can spew. Apparently I've exchanged snoring for burping all night. Many of you understand and recognise my life. So.. That's why I'm here. I'm now thinking maybe I wouldn't need a possible knee replacement and that the bursitis in my hip would settle if I weighed less. I've made up my mind that I want a sleeve. I'm worried how I convince my GP and surgeon to agree with me, how do I cope if they just tell me that I'm not following the rules? That old feeling of self doubt is creeping back - but each time it does I'm just as sure that a sleeve is my next step. I will continue to troll through your posts for information but would appreciate any suggestions and tips you can hand over.
Back to top Go down
Suzy77
Part of the furniture
Suzy77

Female
Number of posts : 488
Registration date : 2012-08-28

PostSubject: Re: process from band to sleeve?   process from band to sleeve? EmptySun 09 Mar 2014, 3:10 am

I agree with Garfield. And incidentally myself, Goenmaree and Garfield are all failed sleeves (as in complications. We are certainly all successes in terms of weightloss!) SO If we say go the sleeve then hopefully you realise we are being objective! I'll let Glenmaree jump in herself if she needs but for me the sleeve was start of all my problems and when converted to the bypass I actually did improve a little eating wise but the complications, and the number and scale of them, from the bypass just was more than I realised. I have however met many success stories of bypass, and many many sleeve, so it really comes down to what is right for you. I know for some the band damage is so great that bypass might be your only option. And as I said, I know many successes so I'm not saying don't do bypass. Just that if your surgeon is recommending sleeve I'd be taking that. Only he really knows what's best too. Bypass can then be an option later if needed. Also to reiterate what Garfield said about the weightloss. I thought THE Bypass was the one you lost the most with but in actual fact it is comparative to the sleeve. 

Anyways these are my thoughts. Happy to answer any more questions and I wish you all the very best with your decisions!

Xx
Back to top Go down
Garfield99
Part of the furniture
Garfield99

Female

PostSubject: Re: process from band to sleeve?   process from band to sleeve? EmptySat 08 Mar 2014, 11:45 am

Don't do the bypass unless you are forced to - it is much full on surgery and you will have a lifetime of issues like malnutrition, reflux and stronger reaction to medications.

If you speak to Glenys or Suzy77, they will also advise you the same - give the sleeve a go first.

If I could of, I would of chosen a different surgeon and happily have the sleeve.  Don't let anyone fool you into thinking the weightloss will be quicker or greater.  My sleeved friends have lost their weight quicker and more then I have ever done.  For some, they go down that route due to reflux.  I never had reflux issues before but I certainly have it super bad now.  Everyday I throw up either from a combination of food not sitting properly or from reflux.

At least if the sleeve effs up - you have got the bypass option.
Back to top Go down
missmillsy

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2014-03-08

PostSubject: Re: process from band to sleeve?   process from band to sleeve? EmptySat 08 Mar 2014, 10:57 am

LauraIreland wrote:
Hi all. I have been recommended these forums by a friend. I have had a lap band for 6 years and no longer happy with it. I have regained all my 30kgs I lost within 4 months of no fill. I want to change from band to sleeve. What is the process I need to follow? I have booked an appointment with my GP for wednesday to discuss but im not sure if she will be knowledgable on all the nitty gritty things.

Hi everyone
Im in a wee bit of a pickle here, I had a band for 12 yrs and had lost 65 kgs, over time I regained 35 kgs due to breakage, I had it removed only last Thursday.My surgeon has recommended that I now have the sleeve opposed to the by pass....im a bit nervous with both and not sure on what to do??? Im 92 kgs and only want to lose 25 kgs as I looked quiet ill with the 65 kgs loss. process from band to sleeve? 302927
Back to top Go down
Garfield99
Part of the furniture
Garfield99

Female

PostSubject: Re: process from band to sleeve?   process from band to sleeve? EmptySat 01 Mar 2014, 3:18 pm

The surgeon that did your band, does he/she not do sleeving as well?  If so you can go back to them without a referral to discuss the band removal and sleeving.  Usually the band is removed and after 3 months, sleeving can be done.  This allows the stomach time to re-adjust back to it's natural position and it is assumed less chances of problems later on, although some surgeons do the two operations together (not a lot of surgeons do this).

If you have had no fill and re-gained weight, then they may request you to give it more of a go.  The band won't work without fill and it is a lifetime of fill adjustments.  I also had the band and hated it.  Either too tight so you can only get sliders in to combat the hunger or too loose and you just re-gain weight.  For many, the sleeve works perfectly and it's more of a set and forget with no ongoing maintenance.  You don't have that horrid feeling of restriction, you simply can't over eat without feeling pain or dump, and best of all you feel fuller on much smaller portions.   The main bonus is you simply are not hungry due to the removal of ghrelin but don't rely on that as many people don't adjust their eating patterns and either don't lose weight or re-gain it.

There are plenty of tricks to master the new stomach and work out the signals your body gives you to show you are full.  For me, it's eat very slowly, chew well and with the first hiccup or burp it's time to stop.  Measuring out your portions is good but even then sometimes my eyes are bigger then my stomach as it's amazing how small it can be.  I estimate mine to be around 3 pieces of sushi.  But at the same time, naughty foods still can be eaten in larger quantities and go down easier, so it's better to fill up on the good nutritious food and you usually won't want anything more.  I don't mind spending a bit more on nice food as I eat a little bit of it and there is plenty left over for a few more meals.  Other times it's hard to accept the waste especially when eating out, but it's better to waste food then it hanging on your waist!

Similar rules for eating is the same as the band e.g. no drink 30mins before or after meals, go through the liquid/puree/soft food to normal food stages although I found my stages were longer in duration from the band but it's up to your surgeon and your own healing.

Read up lots on this site, there are plenty of experiences people have shared, good and bad.  It is a much bigger operation then the band with more risks associated (I know as I was one of the people that it failed so needed emergency bypass) but I would of preferred to stay with the sleeve if I had the option.  Make sure you are fully aware of the risks and importantly after your surgery, stick strictly to the stages and not rush through as you can not only risk damage to your new stomach, it can cause you quite a lot of pain!!

Good luck on your decision and journey :-)
Back to top Go down
LauraIreland

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2014-03-01

PostSubject: process from band to sleeve?   process from band to sleeve? EmptySat 01 Mar 2014, 1:46 pm

Hi all. I have been recommended these forums by a friend. I have had a lap band for 6 years and no longer happy with it. I have regained all my 30kgs I lost within 4 months of no fill. I want to change from band to sleeve. What is the process I need to follow? I have booked an appointment with my GP for wednesday to discuss but im not sure if she will be knowledgable on all the nitty gritty things.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: process from band to sleeve?   process from band to sleeve? Empty

Back to top Go down

process from band to sleeve?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about You! :: From Band To Sleeve-
Jump to: