lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

Reflux / Indigestion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reflux / Indigestion   Reflux / Indigestion EmptyTue 04 Dec 2012, 3:30 am

Did you weigh yourself? Are you bloated? might be worth taking a look at your diet. maybe keep a food journal for a few weeks.
Back to top Go down
Ellen50
Ellen50

Female
Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2012-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Reflux / Indigestion   Reflux / Indigestion EmptyMon 03 Dec 2012, 11:00 pm

Hi Everyone! I haven't been here for a while and I thought I was going great until my father said on the weekend.... the dreaded words none of us want to hear....

"Ellen, have you put on weight?" HUH?

Arrrggghhhh.... I knew I'd been a bit norty with eating the cheese twisties that were on special at Coles... bugger!! And that I wasn't eating properly and snacking rather than eating meals.

But it got me thinking. I had my surgery on 21 March 2012. I have posted previously about different health issues I experienced, but it all sorted out when it was finally found I had an infection in my stomach.

I have been on Nexium since the surgery, well surgeon gave me something else but I hated the taste. Each time I have stopped taking Nexium, I get severe burning, that awful dry feeling in my stomach after eating anything. It is not so bad if I just have soup or some soft fruit. But even a few small spoons of baked beans sets it off. I have been taking Mylanta 2go since Sunday and having 2 tablets when I need to.

The thing is, Nexium allows me to eat reasonably well, which I think is helping put a bit of weight back on. If I persevere without the Nexium and just take Mylanta when I need to, my weight will more than likely start reducing again. I've been stuck around 70kg for a few months now and I am ok with that. I was worried about looking a bit too wrinkly in the face if I lost too much weight... Slap me now!! lol

Do you think for some of us, taking some sort of indigestion tablets/medication is just going to be the way it is long term? I am seriously considering a visit to a nutritionist/dietician to have a diet modified for me with this in mind. I was getting very norty with the twisties while on Nexium... having 1/2 a bag at a time! Crikey, did I admit that? My old foe were Kettle plain salted chips which I can't stand the taste of now. Nor my fave smoked salmon either.... sigh....

Let me know what you guys think :)

Cheers

Ellen :)
Back to top Go down
http://www.stores.ebay.com.au/extremeshoppingonline
cocorosie

Female
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Reflux / Indigestion   Reflux / Indigestion EmptyThu 12 May 2011, 11:13 am

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I have always been a fast eater and this problem is only exacerbated with my job where I barely get time to go to the toilet, let alone eat. I tried to eat my dinner really slowly tonight and was able to eat more and I didn't get any heartburn! Good news!

Will do my best to slow down as much as possible and see how I go from there.
Back to top Go down
D'Girlz
Top Poster
Top Poster
D'Girlz

Female
Number of posts : 1749
Registration date : 2011-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Reflux / Indigestion   Reflux / Indigestion EmptyThu 12 May 2011, 10:16 am

Hi Cocorosie,
I had the same problem of food sitting in my chest - it was because I was eating too fast. When I slowed down, it went away. Hope you feel better soon.
Back to top Go down
pominoz
pominoz

Female
Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2010-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Reflux / Indigestion   Reflux / Indigestion EmptyThu 12 May 2011, 4:02 am

Hi cocorosie,

I am actually having the same problems at the moment but am putting it down to a eating too fast and not chewing the meat thoroughly. I hate the feeling of the food being stuck in my throat and am being sick to relieve the discomfort.

I will mention it to my surgeon at my check up along with the reflux issues I have.

Hope it gets better for you.

Pom x
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Reflux / Indigestion   Reflux / Indigestion EmptyThu 12 May 2011, 2:56 am

That sounds nasty and probably should be discussed with your surgeon. Just one thing - how fast are you eating? Maybe try to slow down a little if you think you may be eating a little quickly. Otherwise call your surgeon for sure.
Back to top Go down
cocorosie

Female
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-05-02

PostSubject: New sleever with bad reflux    Reflux / Indigestion EmptyThu 12 May 2011, 2:27 am

Hi Everyone,

I am a new sleever (four weeks post-op) and I am having massive reflux woes. I am taking nexium 40mg every morning and sometimes ranitidine at night. Often after eating my food sits in my chest and it feels horrible and eventually I will just vomit it back up. I don't think I am eating too much (I can only manage 1/8 -1/4 cup per meal) and I can't even tell when I'm full anyway because all my food just sits in my chest.

I feel horrible all the time after eating and I am constantly getting tummy grumbling and hiccups. The worst part is that I am a teacher and I have had to rush out of my classroom a few times to vomit - it isn't very practical. I know reflux is a side effect but I feel like this is too much and I am taking my medication and feel as though it is having absolutely no effect on me.

Should I be going back to liquids? I am supposed to be on solids now but I am staying on mushees for a while because I'm scared of the heartburn.

Help me!
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Reflux / Indigestion   Reflux / Indigestion EmptyTue 03 May 2011, 9:18 am

LOL who went to see her GP today, and forgot to talk about reflux meds???????

Oh well, next visit!
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female
Number of posts : 1344
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Reflux / Indigestion   Reflux / Indigestion EmptyTue 03 May 2011, 9:08 am

Hi Pom

I have been on Nexium since my surgery 3 years ago and still need it.
I have an appointment with my surgeon for check up on Friday so will mention it to him then.

steph
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reflux / Indigestion   Reflux / Indigestion EmptyMon 02 May 2011, 8:27 am

Interesting points Emily.
I take my Losec after breakfast!

Seeing my GP tomorrow, might have to discuss it with her.
I have been on Losec for about 10 years, maybe time for a change!

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Reflux / Indigestion   Reflux / Indigestion EmptySun 01 May 2011, 11:43 pm

Try a different PPI. I was good on Nexium, terrible afternoon reflux on Losec, good on Prevacid. There is little point taking an extra PPI if you have reflux because it doesn't work that quickly, and it only works on an empty stomach. It should be taken upon waking, at least an hour before eating or drinking. That enables it to switch off the acid pumps before you put food in there to stimulate acid production. Zantac does work quickly which is probably why he said to add it.

Are you taking split doses? 20mg morning and night was much more effective for me than 40mg once daily. You should absolutely not be getting reflux every day, make sure they tweak your meds around. I did end up getting an upper GI scope to ensure everything was ok, but funnily enough didn't have any problems since then.
Back to top Go down
pominoz
pominoz

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reflux / Indigestion   Reflux / Indigestion EmptySun 01 May 2011, 10:44 pm

Hi Janette,

Thanks for that I also mentioned that to the GP and he said only for 3 days maximum that is why he said I should take zantac with the somac Reflux / Indigestion 697586

It's not horrendous just uncomfortable but I am getting used to it and can usually put up and until the next morning when I take my somac.
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reflux / Indigestion   Reflux / Indigestion EmptySun 01 May 2011, 10:38 pm

I take Losec, same thing, different brand.

If I get reflux, and I sometimes do late afternoon, I just take another Losec.
This is what my surgeon said to do!
Back to top Go down
pominoz
pominoz

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reflux / Indigestion   Reflux / Indigestion EmptySun 01 May 2011, 9:32 pm

Hi,

I have been on somac 40mg since surgery but regulary have reflux during the night and when I wake up. I saw my GP and he said to take zantac with the somac?

Is anyone else still experiencing reflux even though they are taking medication?

Will mention it to my surgeon at my 6 week post op check up.

Thanks

Pom
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reflux / Indigestion   Reflux / Indigestion EmptyTue 14 Dec 2010, 6:20 pm

*Lib* wrote:
Thats how I know my reflux is about to flare up, I get rumbly then the next day bang it hits! I am 20 months out and still on daily reflux meds.

12 months out here and still on them.
Some how I think I will be on them for the rest of my life, but its a small price to pay.
Back to top Go down
LAINEY
Part of the furniture
LAINEY

Female
Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Reflux / Indigestion   Reflux / Indigestion EmptyTue 14 Dec 2010, 5:08 pm

Thanks Emily and Lib.

We can only buy 75mg zantac so thought POM of 300mg would be ok although had begun to suspect that meds might not be strong enough

Surgeon put us on them and I continued with my GP when I got home.

Cant get any "operazoles" over the counter in UK so will go have a chat with GP.

Again - thanks

Elaine
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Reflux / Indigestion   Reflux / Indigestion EmptyMon 13 Dec 2010, 11:58 pm

LAINEY wrote:
The fact that I am on meds - how could this be reflux - but everything I've read points towards it.
Zantac is not a very strong solution to reflux. It doesn't turn off the acid pumps like the PPIs (proton pump inhibitors) do. These are the omeprazole, esomeprazole, pantoprazole, lansoprazole etc (eg. Nexium, Prilosec, Prevacid). Might be worth trying one of these? Some are available OTC here in the US, not sure in the UK.
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Reflux / Indigestion   Reflux / Indigestion EmptyMon 13 Dec 2010, 9:41 pm

Thats how I know my reflux is about to flare up, I get rumbly then the next day bang it hits! I am 20 months out and still on daily reflux meds.
Back to top Go down
LAINEY
Part of the furniture
LAINEY

Female
Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Reflux / Indigestion   Reflux / Indigestion EmptyMon 13 Dec 2010, 7:56 pm

Hi pepes!

looking for a thread for some info.

3 months sleeved and recovery amazingly quick. Eat anything accept meat at the moment .

Im on 300mg of Ranitidine/zantac.

I get an empty feeling often. Not a grumbly hungry tummy - just empty.

The fact that I am on meds - how could this be reflux - but everything I've read points towards it.

I dont get the awful burning reflux I had preop. yay!!!!!

Any info or advice would be most welcome.

Elaine
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female
Number of posts : 3694
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Reflux / Indigestion   Reflux / Indigestion EmptyTue 17 Aug 2010, 3:36 am

Hi Lee Lee

Good news, I think LOL
Well good news that you know what the problem is now and can work on it.

Hugs Gail
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Reflux / Indigestion   Reflux / Indigestion EmptyMon 16 Aug 2010, 12:44 pm

I hear you Lee Lee about assuming the op causes all our problems....unfortunately I still question if things are 'side effects' first!
Back to top Go down
LeeLee12
LeeLee12

Female
Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Reflux / Indigestion   Reflux / Indigestion EmptyMon 16 Aug 2010, 11:14 am

Well as I said before I have developed really bad reflux over the past 8 weeks and my surgeon was scratching his head. I had to drink gaviscon daily and got no relief. I have had 2 barium swallows and a gastroscopy. My surgeon called last week and told me that after a biopsy he discovered that I am Celiac - gluten intolerance. I have had no other symtons but my small intestine has severe atrophy of the villi. In other words I have had this all my life and my body has finally said enough. Back to the dietician on last friday. Have followed a gluten free diet for the last 4 days and my reflux has subsided significanlty. Amazing it was something that no-one was even considering. I know when I was suffering in the past 8 weeks alot of people were thinking that it was the surgery. But I knew it wasnt. Its funny how others still judge you even when you have had success. I could see the look in their eyes. Anyway just have to watch that gluten and give my body time to repair itself. (after 43 years of abuse from gluten)
Back to top Go down
Loz
Loz

Female
Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2010-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Reflux / Indigestion   Reflux / Indigestion EmptySat 07 Aug 2010, 2:22 pm

Thanks Mapmar - yes I was told to eat every 2 hours. I'm only just off puree. It's taken me longer to transition between food stages as I had a hernia repair. Added up my average calories and I'm only getting about 700 per day at the moment. Have been told to up my calories and the only way I ca do that is by the grazing! But thanks for your advice. I'm very wary of Nurofen as my mum has had problems with it too. Needless to say, I'm not taking them anymore.
Cheers,
Loz x
Back to top Go down
mapmar
Top Poster
Top Poster
mapmar

Female
Number of posts : 2342
Registration date : 2009-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Reflux / Indigestion   Reflux / Indigestion EmptySat 07 Aug 2010, 2:00 pm

glad things have improved for you...
just be careful of the Nurofen .... see it all the time at work.. people coming in with stomach cramps etc and they take Nurofen on an emptying stomach = ulcers!

with your grazing throughout the day, is this what your dietitian told you to do?
A lot of surgeon's/dietitian's say to eat 3 meals per day, not graze as this way you will get more out of your sleeve weight wise.... and also keeps your calorie intake under control.
You learn to feel full as well with 3 meals per day and if needed have a snack morning or afternoon either a protein or a fruit....

but glad things are better for you!
Back to top Go down
Loz
Loz

Female
Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2010-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Reflux / Indigestion   Reflux / Indigestion EmptySat 07 Aug 2010, 1:55 pm

HI Mapmar

I just wanted to thank you for your concern about my stomach spasms. I ended up calling my doctor the next morning and after much analysis of what I'd been eating, I mentioned that I had gone for my first swim... Bingo! I had thought that would be 'gentle' excercise but apparently not. Woops - I hadn't realised that swimming would affect me so much. I won't be doing that again in a hurry - the spasms in my stomach were unbearable. Not a reflux problem and I seem to be feeling much better now so hopefully I haven't done any damage. Thanks again,

Loz x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reflux / Indigestion   Reflux / Indigestion Empty

Back to top Go down

Reflux / Indigestion
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next