wyldwitch
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Twoboys

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-08-04

Weight loss... from band to sleeve. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight loss... from band to sleeve.   Weight loss... from band to sleeve. EmptyTue 04 Aug 2015, 1:22 pm

Hi new to this group. Looking for advise, I have had two bands installed .... First band lost 70kilos. Had it removed as it slipped then had new one installed two years ago. Living regional I have no dr in my town to do a fill need to travel six hours to next dr. Very costly each visit. Decided to have band removed and go sleeve or bypass., I have done so much research that I am now confused. I have contacted several dr in Perth via email to ask about sleeve , feel like no one wants to help. Some have not responded , those dr clinic who have responded basically tell me the cost etc and then want me to travel 9hours to Perth see dr for chat then come back later on have band removed then book in four months later for sleeve. What they don't understand that each visit cost up to $1000 trip to Perth. I just like an ATM to them..... Has any one had sleeve done in regional wa hospital and if so can anyone recommend a dr. Thanks tb
Back to top Go down
Vogette
Vogette

Female
Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2014-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Weight loss... from band to sleeve.   Weight loss... from band to sleeve. EmptyFri 19 Jun 2015, 5:01 am

Hi Suzieq70

I had my band out last May (slipped) and sleeved in November.

Weight loss is definitely slower, and less drastic, however, it is much easier than the band.

It remains a good "leash" to reign in over-eating. 

My advice...go very slow...

I am very happy with it!
Back to top Go down
Suzieq70

Female
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2015-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Weight loss... from band to sleeve.   Weight loss... from band to sleeve. EmptyWed 17 Jun 2015, 11:55 am

Hi everyone , am really inspired by all of your posts . I had my band removed a month ago and see my Doc on Friday to see about a sleeve . He said to me that 50% of band to sleevers don't lose any weight which is a little scared but I am willing to take the chance . Hopefully I will be able to be sleeved in 8 weeks , fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
MissD

Female
Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2014-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Weight loss... from band to sleeve.   Weight loss... from band to sleeve. EmptyMon 27 Jan 2014, 10:01 am

Hi, I had my band out in 2009 and the sleeve surgery done in November 2013. I too was told that there was a possibility that I wouldn't lose any weight, or perhaps at a slower rate. In 2 months, I've lost 20kgs! It's been exciting, and I did lose quite a bit while on liquids. When I went to solids it slowed a little. However, I am determined to lose the weight, so I've really upped the level of exercise, because I know for my body, that's what works. If I wasn't exercising, I really don't think I would still be losing weight. At this stage it's half to 1 kg per week, but that's ok...at least I'm not putting it on! 

As Helga said though, it's very individual and it depends on your body type. I agree that the band is horrific, and I had issues when it was time to progress to actual food. I had such fear that food was going to get 'stuck' like it did with the band. I stayed on liquids and mushy food probably longer than usual, but that was because of my own fears,  not for any particular reason! Everyone's weight loss will be individual - from reading this forum  though, I've noticed those who were never banded have lost huge amounts of weight, but those of us that we're banded are still losing - albeit a bit slower. 

I too use my fitness pal to track my food and exercise.  If anything it keeps you accountable, especially if you're being honest and inputting everything!
Back to top Go down
Helga106
Helga106

Female
Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2013-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Weight loss... from band to sleeve.   Weight loss... from band to sleeve. EmptyMon 27 Jan 2014, 4:26 am

I had my band out in December 2012 and my sleeve done March 2013 - I would 100% agree that the weight loss is slower. I had my band in for 6 years so a combination of things make the weight loss slower.

1. I had major issues with my band, so I knew how to cheat with it (these habit can stick if your not careful & in time be an issue)

2. If I have one bite too much I can realise that and bring it back up with no drama, a side effect from the band weakening the lower esophageal sphincter (the part that holds your food down) first time sleeved people generally cant do this & feel terrible pain, often resulting in aversions to food/ quantity.

3. Your metabolism can be slower as you have often already experienced drastic weight loss

This is just a few of the small reasons that can add to it, but over all I wouldn't say my weight loss is much slower then anyone else who had my surgery at the same time. They are around 5 to 10kg in front of me (if that) The biggest think I needed to stop doing was comparing my loss with others.
Back to top Go down
Juicyjo
Juicyjo

Female
Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2013-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Weight loss... from band to sleeve.   Weight loss... from band to sleeve. EmptySun 08 Dec 2013, 9:59 pm

Well so far so good. I have kept up the pace with many, although at a bit of a stand still this week....
Back to top Go down
wyldwitch
wyldwitch

Female
Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2013-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Weight loss... from band to sleeve.   Weight loss... from band to sleeve. EmptyTue 03 Dec 2013, 6:55 am

Can anyone point me to any data that confirms weight loss is slower after having a band to sleeve revision?

I will be asking about it tomorrow at my appointment with Dr P but just wondered if there was actual medical data is all :)

Tazzy - good luck with your journey xx

Tara - thank you for the tip on Fitness Pal - am loving how to keep track of what I eat - even downloaded the android app to my Samsung!

xxx Wyld
Back to top Go down
Tazzy03
Tazzy03

Female
Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2013-07-04

PostSubject: Weight loss after sleeve surgery    Weight loss... from band to sleeve. EmptySat 16 Nov 2013, 11:15 am

wyldwitch wrote:
Hello all :)

I have seen mentioned in numerous posts, that after you have had a band and then a sleeve your weight loss can be a lot slower.

When people say slower - what do you mean?  I dont mean to sound stupid, but are we talking like 500g a week or less?

What has been your experience with losing the dreaded kilos since your switch?

I hope nobody is offended, but I am trying to get myself in the right headspace, so that when I do the switch, I will NOT beat up on myself for not following the masses in losing the kilos.

Thank you in advance.

xx Wyld
Hi Wyld 

I haven't had the band only the sleeve ( 3 weeks ago ) and I am losing weight in dribs and drabs - 5kg the week after surgery and then only 1.8 kgs for the last 2 weeks. It must be such an individual thing as I read so many different results. I am actually a bit down that I am not losing faster than I am but I am sure in the long run it will all work out. Hope you have a smooth transition from band to sleeve ! 

Take care Tazzy
Back to top Go down
tumultuous-tara
Part of the furniture
tumultuous-tara

Female
Number of posts : 793
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Weight loss... from band to sleeve.   Weight loss... from band to sleeve. EmptyTue 12 Nov 2013, 8:32 am

Hiya Wyld,

Yep, I count my Calories every day. 

The app I use (My Fitness Pal) counts Protein, Fat, Carbs, Sugars etc so I keep track of it all.

Protein should be about .. 40 - 70 grams per day
or 10% - 35% of your daily intake.
Fat - 20 - 35%
Carbs - 45 - 65%

It depends on what Dietician you see as to what figures you are given.

Cheers
Tara
Back to top Go down
wyldwitch
wyldwitch

Female

PostSubject: Re: Weight loss... from band to sleeve.   Weight loss... from band to sleeve. EmptyTue 12 Nov 2013, 12:14 am

Hi Tara,

Thank you for this!

17 kilos in 6 months is still fantastic!  Are you having to count your calories - or more specifically your proteins?

Im also really interested in the protein, carb, fat and sugar intake/percentage.

xx Wyld
Back to top Go down
tumultuous-tara
Part of the furniture
tumultuous-tara

Female
Number of posts : 793
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Weight loss... from band to sleeve.   Weight loss... from band to sleeve. EmptySun 10 Nov 2013, 11:12 pm

Hiya Wyld,

In 6 months I have lost 17kilos where as others have lost 30 plus.

Hope this helps,
Tara
Back to top Go down
wyldwitch
wyldwitch

Female

PostSubject: Re: Weight loss... from band to sleeve.   Weight loss... from band to sleeve. EmptySun 10 Nov 2013, 10:42 pm

That would be great Juicyjo!

All the best for today in your sleeving!

xx Wyld
Back to top Go down
Juicyjo
Juicyjo

Female
Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2013-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Weight loss... from band to sleeve.   Weight loss... from band to sleeve. EmptySun 10 Nov 2013, 1:12 pm

I will let you know how I go. I was debanded start of August and getting sleeved tomorrow😉
Back to top Go down
wyldwitch
wyldwitch

Female

PostSubject: Re: Weight loss... from band to sleeve.   Weight loss... from band to sleeve. EmptySun 10 Nov 2013, 12:16 pm

Hi Btgirl :)

Thank you so much for answering!  and hey 20 kilos is massive in the short amount of time you have been sleeved!

If I am reading it right you were sleeved at the end of June this year? and in 5 months you have lost the 20!!!  I think that is really amazing and just want to say well done!

I have a diary on when I was first banded, and it took me three months to lose 7 kilos!

I'm off to read your diary! to see how you started out.

Again thank you for the reply :)

xx Wyld
Back to top Go down
btgirl
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 874
Registration date : 2012-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Weight loss... from band to sleeve.   Weight loss... from band to sleeve. EmptySun 10 Nov 2013, 11:55 am

Hi, I had my sleeve done the same day as someone else on this site we are both the same age and about the same weight I am an ex bander, I have lost just over 20 Kgs and my sleeve buddy has lost nearly 30, I would rather have lost the 30 but I am still happy with the 20 Kgs so far.
All the best.
Love Btgirl
Back to top Go down
wyldwitch
wyldwitch

Female

PostSubject: Weight loss... from band to sleeve.   Weight loss... from band to sleeve. EmptySun 10 Nov 2013, 8:54 am

Hello all :)

I have seen mentioned in numerous posts, that after you have had a band and then a sleeve your weight loss can be a lot slower.

When people say slower - what do you mean?  I dont mean to sound stupid, but are we talking like 500g a week or less?

What has been your experience with losing the dreaded kilos since your switch?

I hope nobody is offended, but I am trying to get myself in the right headspace, so that when I do the switch, I will NOT beat up on myself for not following the masses in losing the kilos.

Thank you in advance.

xx Wyld
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weight loss... from band to sleeve.   Weight loss... from band to sleeve. Empty

Back to top Go down

Weight loss... from band to sleeve.
Page 1 of 1