Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reflux after sleeve

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Reflux after sleeve Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reflux after sleeve   Reflux after sleeve EmptyWed 13 Nov 2013, 12:41 am

Scoots, you just wrote about my main fear.

I had a Nissens too and I have Barretts. I dread getting reflux again because despite the Nissens I still have to take Pariet because I still get oesophagitis (asymptomatic...no reflux sensation). So I just know it'll get real bad post sleeve. I was going to ask straight out for the bypass but someone else on here told me that the surgeon I'm going to see doesn't like bypasses.

I hope it settles down for you and please let us know how you get on.
Back to top Go down
scoots266
scoots266

Female
Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2012-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Reflux after sleeve   Reflux after sleeve EmptyTue 12 Nov 2013, 10:29 pm

I had a previous fundopkication that was undone when my sleeve was done, it was all done in one op though i was warned there was a chance they wouls have to undo it in one op then wait 3 months to do the sleeve, similar to when people have the band removed.

I had bad refkux while everything was still swollen for the first week or so, then it settled, was on somac all this time. In recent months reflux has gotten worse for i'm not entirely sure what reason, i've increased meds and it got better temporaraily but lately gotten worse again.  I'm hoping to get it to settle by being very strict with diet, seeing gp tomorrow and dietician next week.  Very much hoping not to need to have bypass to fix it, though i did know it was a potential risk when i had the sleeve done.
Back to top Go down
Acer1
Acer1

Male
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2013-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Reflux after sleeve   Reflux after sleeve EmptyMon 28 Oct 2013, 4:15 am

THX for the replies Sleevehis and Sleevehers,

I've been off my Somac for the last 2 weeks and I am starting to get all gassed up.. I had my surgery 11 weeks ago. I was under the impression that the reflux was not a biggy, However its good to be well informed and for what its worth I do not regret my Sleeve procedure..only thing is...should have done it earlier...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reflux after sleeve   Reflux after sleeve EmptyMon 28 Oct 2013, 2:43 am

When I saw the surgeon two years ago, he said having Fundo made a sleeve more difficult but it was still able to be done at the same op.

Since then I've read that a bypass is a better option if you have reflux.
Back to top Go down
Nini
Part of the furniture
Nini

Female
Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Reflux after sleeve   Reflux after sleeve EmptyMon 28 Oct 2013, 2:27 am

I guess they would have to take the Fundopliction down to do the Sleeve and then you would be at risk of bad reflux which you definitely don't want. Did the other surgeon say if it's possible to do a Bypass after a Nissan Fundo? 

Good luck
Nini
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reflux after sleeve   Reflux after sleeve EmptyMon 28 Oct 2013, 1:33 am

That's one of the things I want to ask the surgeon about.

I had a Lap Nissens Fundo in 2003 for reflux because I already had Barretts and they didn't want more acid making it worse.

That's why I'm thinking the bypass might be better. It's supposed to be good for reflux.

That's if I'm ever accepted for surgery, of course...
Back to top Go down
Nini
Part of the furniture
Nini

Female
Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Reflux after sleeve   Reflux after sleeve EmptyMon 28 Oct 2013, 12:52 am

That's a really important video for people to see, Acer1. I knew about acid reflux causing Oesophogeal cancer, my husband had a Nissan Fundoplication on his stromach 20years ago because of his severe reflux (not related to obestity or weight loss surgery). His GP told him then that in 20yrs time he could develop Barretts Disease (Cancer) if he didn't do anything about it. 

I think that Drs. should be mentioning it to people so they can make an informed decision and also that they may need to have follow up if they do develop severe acid reflux. But people should also know that he is talking about years of severe reflux not just the couple of weeks that most of us Sleevers get post-op. Luckily I had only a couple of weeks of mild reflux that was bought under control with medication. At three months out I no longer have to take anything and I have had no more symptoms.

cheers Nini
Back to top Go down
jagxclusive
Part of the furniture
jagxclusive

Female
Number of posts : 390
Registration date : 2013-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Reflux after sleeve   Reflux after sleeve EmptyMon 28 Oct 2013, 12:11 am

thanks for that Acer. I watched it - good to know.  Many of us who are already morbidly obese suffer from reflux prior to the surgery and the rates actually decrease after the surgery. The study is interesting, I think for those who odon't have reflux and then develop it after surgery probably worth getting endoscopy every few years to check on the eosophagus.  My dr did mention about 15%of his patients end up with reflux, and also I note that most of us are sent from hospital on reflux meds for a while. Some need it long term, some don't need it. This finding would not stop me from doing the sleeve, just good to keep in mind for the future to keep a check on it if i do have reflux.
Back to top Go down
Acer1
Acer1

Male
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2013-08-12

PostSubject: Reflux after sleeve   Reflux after sleeve EmptySun 27 Oct 2013, 9:54 pm

Hi everyone,
I just found this on the net and was wondering what your thoughts are about it...my surgeon did not mention anything about. Reflux causing throat cancer after sleeve
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4sBRDaH2gJA&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D4sBRDaH2gJA
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reflux after sleeve   Reflux after sleeve Empty

Back to top Go down

Reflux after sleeve
Page 1 of 1