9 posters
AuthorMessage
tigerjane75
tigerjane75

Female
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2013-10-20

I don't know I am full now so why would I know after my sleeve Empty
PostSubject: Re: I don't know I am full now so why would I know after my sleeve   I don't know I am full now so why would I know after my sleeve EmptySun 10 Nov 2013, 7:16 am

2 days post op and battling with it all. Have test tomorrow so have had to wait extra day without anything to drink. Can only rinse and spit. Vrry painful lots of burping bad reflux hope this ends soon. Not sure what happens after test do I get to drink something. Any advise please.
Back to top Go down
sassyjane
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 557
Registration date : 2012-11-04

PostSubject: Re: I don't know I am full now so why would I know after my sleeve   I don't know I am full now so why would I know after my sleeve EmptySun 10 Nov 2013, 5:12 am

Hi nightowl, yes just as hopeful has said you do learn your boundaries, push it and you do learn your lesson. Many vary with what they suffer by eating too much or by eating too fast etc. Pain is a great deterrant to say the least and so would bringing everything back up again. I have been lucky with not having those problems but i do have to listen to my stomach so i dont over eat,it is the most uncomfortable feeling for sure and you certainly would not want to be doing it every meal. I still,with the rare meal have a small drink,for me it is a very hard habit to break,not alcohol or fizzy drinks which i have not touched for years,i dont get sick from it though,and i know it should not be done as you just flush through your good foods,the rare time i do it i wait a little while and have a protein drink or something similar to boost me back up. The fear of stretching the sleeve also puts many off over eating.It seems to go through your head as a different way of thinking in regards to the quantity of what you want to eat,you do know mentally you cant do it so you dont do it,try it and you do learn a painful lesson which puts you off doing it again.That last bite you may want to take can make a very big difference from big time uncomfortable pain to throwing up.I did find it very easy to adjust,more by the awful feeling of it all as i have never thrown up.
All the best.
Back to top Go down
nightowl

Female
Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2013-11-10

PostSubject: Hi and thanks   I don't know I am full now so why would I know after my sleeve EmptySun 10 Nov 2013, 1:58 am

Hi BBe and repliers

Thanks for asking and answering a question I had been pondering. As my BMI of 61 shows, I have never had an "off" switch when it comes to food, so I had been wondering if I will develop one postop. I can easily eat until I am physically uncomfortable, with no real warning that I am filling up, until I suddenly think, Man I shouldn't have eaten those last couple of bites. I'm not a fast eater, just seem to have an enormous appetite and capacity. I know the surgery won't stop me making bad choices, just reduce the quantity.

Good luck to all :-)
Back to top Go down
hopeful22912
hopeful22912

Female
Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2013-06-07

PostSubject: Re: I don't know I am full now so why would I know after my sleeve   I don't know I am full now so why would I know after my sleeve EmptySat 26 Oct 2013, 5:48 am

Hi Bbe
Like you I tried many different diets and never stuck to one of them or lost weight and put it all back on, the sleeve has changed how I view food, I no longer emotionally eat I don't know if that is a result of not being able to get the food in or whether it is actually in my head. I know I am a much happier healthier person. I still have 30Kgs to go but I know I can do it.

I can easily tell when. I am full and when to stop eating I have pushed the boundaries once or twice by drinking with my meals and have brought it all back up again not a pleasant feeling and I have learnt my lesson. 

I have no regrets re my sleeve, at times I find cooking so little food for one very frustrating and question whether actually turning the stove on is worth the effort, but I only have to look at the scales to re assure myself it is all worth it.

Good luck 
Nita
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

PostSubject: Re: I don't know I am full now so why would I know after my sleeve   I don't know I am full now so why would I know after my sleeve EmptySat 26 Oct 2013, 4:22 am

Bbe - I am about 16mths out. I found the sleeve very helpful in  initial weight loss and I want to still lose about 10kg. I do have excellent restriction and I do get very uncomfortable if I over-eat and I have vomited from time to time. I still get very bad indigestion if I eat things that I have intolerance too.

I am still trying to work some of these out. But do know that I can't eat spicy food and only a little bit of choc otherwise I get very sick. I do 'dump' if I eat too much sugary stuff. Also greasy food - I had some chicken and it was greasy and made me throw up.

I do see a physch and started before the surgery and then added food/emotions to my therapy. I do recommend people do this when they are thinking of the sleeve if they are an emotional eater etc. You can cheat the sleeve by consuming high cal drinks, alcohol.

Also, I find if I don't drink enough water my body gets confused and thinks it is hungry, just like before the sleeve.

Good luck
Back to top Go down
sassyjane
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 557
Registration date : 2012-11-04

PostSubject: Re: I don't know I am full now so why would I know after my sleeve   I don't know I am full now so why would I know after my sleeve EmptyFri 25 Oct 2013, 11:54 am

Hi, the awful feeling of eating too much will surely put you off over eating.You will know very early on what this causes if you eat too much or too quick,either by pain in the upper section or you will be sick/dumping. Many have their taste change after the sleeve and cant even eat what they used to like,stick to and stay with healthy eating afterwards and you wont go wrong,if you need some help with a dietician etc do it to help you along. Most on this site will at one time or another still eat just that little too much,it surely pulls you up and is a great deterrant.It never ceases to amaze me after all the pain I have had with other surgeries the pain you can get after the sleeve,i have found is a dam good deterrant,you listen to it. I was one of the very lucky ones ,my taste did not change,the only thing I cant tolerate too well is strong garlic,i still eat a lot of sweetish things but in VERY much SMALLER quantities,no where near like before where I would eat the whole big block and cakes etc.Your new stomach will tell you it's limit so use it as your guide.
Back to top Go down
emmybell83

Female
Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: I don't know I am full now so why would I know after my sleeve   I don't know I am full now so why would I know after my sleeve EmptyThu 24 Oct 2013, 8:42 am

You sound like i used to be - I am only 9 weeks post op. But it is nearly impossible to overeat - the feeling of fullness is more intense now and completely different - if you keep eating you would vomit. At first its hard to distinguish if you are full or just have a pain or something but over time it gets better.   I too had doubts about the op and i am having days where i struggle in one way or another, but 21kilos lost in 9 weeks isnt too bad - would never have been able to do that on my own. I cant say what the future will bring but im optimistic. My taste has changed too  - used to love chocolate flavoured things now I cant stand the taste of it! I hope you decide to go ahead with the operation - you will feel better for it i believe in the long run. Good Luck!
Back to top Go down
jaleci12

Female
Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2013-05-04

PostSubject: Re: I don't know I am full now so why would I know after my sleeve   I don't know I am full now so why would I know after my sleeve EmptySun 20 Oct 2013, 1:35 am

I used to overeat all the time and even now if I am eating something really yummy I go for one more bite but the feeling you get really stops you in ur tracks. And if you ignore that then you vomit. I havent got to that point yet. What I do though which I am sure I'm not suppose to is wait 10 mins and have couple more bites til full again. I was told by my surgeon that with the sleeve if you keep eating to over full you will gradually stretch it. But with the sleeve that full feeling is so exaggerated that you do get the message pretty quick. If you are worried after ur sleeve that u are still overeating make see a psych...
Back to top Go down
Jasmellea

Female
Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2012-10-03

PostSubject: Re: I don't know I am full now so why would I know after my sleeve   I don't know I am full now so why would I know after my sleeve EmptySun 20 Oct 2013, 12:52 am

At the moment when you over eat do you get to a point where you feel uncomfortable? After the sleeve you just get to this point lots earlier. I also feel like it is easier to stop but i cant explain why. Some people see psychologgists to help with the over eating compulsions.
Back to top Go down
BBe

Female
Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2013-10-02

PostSubject: I don't know I am full now so why would I know after my sleeve   I don't know I am full now so why would I know after my sleeve EmptySat 19 Oct 2013, 12:48 pm

Hi all,
I feel really apprehensive. I need your experience please. I have my sleeve date but why should this work when nothing has never worked. I over eat now even when I am full.  So why will having a sleeve be anything different? Everyone says it is a tool but I have tools now I could use and I don't so why would I use my sleeve?  Food soothes me. I am quiet afraid I will fail with just like everything else I have tried. Sorry to be so negative especially when I generally have a very positive outlook on life for everything except my weigh control. If you have had similar feelings I would love to hear from you.
Regards
BBe
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I don't know I am full now so why would I know after my sleeve   I don't know I am full now so why would I know after my sleeve Empty

Back to top Go down

I don't know I am full now so why would I know after my sleeve
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: