nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster
nicolev1969

Female
Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-05-28

Do I have to Stop Eating Sweets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Do I have to Stop Eating Sweets?   Do I have to Stop Eating Sweets? EmptySun 26 Apr 2009, 8:36 am

i was also a big sweet tooth, i would always choose sweet over savoury. I could polish off a block of chocolate no worries.
Im now about 10 months out from surgery and i really cant eat alot of sweet stuff especially if it is really rich. I can generally fit in about half a normal size piece of cake if i dont drink anything. Since easter i have had a bit of choc as my hubby and i were given two blocks of choc and a box of the mini chocs ( the ones with the balls, snickers,mars,dove etc) I could only manage about 2 balls and 2 squares of choc before feeling like it was all a bit much. The fun size chocs are perfect size for me now.
I have really only been eating naughty things since about 5 months post op so i could maximise my weight loss early on and im now below my goal weight so i feel i can treat myself now.

I hope this helps

Nicole
Back to top Go down
suziq1040

Female
Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Do I have to Stop Eating Sweets?   Do I have to Stop Eating Sweets? EmptySat 25 Apr 2009, 12:07 am

Hi Supershrinkme

Prior to being sleeved I was THE Sweet Teeth person of all time....chocolate, cake, chocolate, biscuits, chocolate, ...you get the picture.....I'd push anything aside for a chocolate or something sweet. The thought of never eating this type of food again was daunting and not something I welcomed. However, I was reassured that all would be OK as some of the guys on the forum had said they still had treats etc. so I was happy with that and went ahead with the op.

Although I have been on mainly fluids (a couple of hiccups along the way and had to return to fluid stages) I have tried the occasional 'chocolate slowly melting in the mouth till it just trickles down the throat' thing. Nah...did absolutely nothing for me....as a matter of fact the smell of chocolate made me feel off. Now that leaves me excited....it is much easier to give up something that makes you feel off than trying to deny yourself something that is yummy.

The family were with me over Easter and there were litterly hundreds of those mini Easter eggs and they all enjoyed them no end but I didn't even have an inkling for one. We had pavlova and cheesecake and again I tried 1/2 a teaspoon full and that was plenty.

I'm sure you will feel the same Supershrink me. If you no longer have the desire for something it becomes easy as you are not denying yourself and maybe a teaspoon or two is all you may need to satisfy that sweet tooth desire.

Good luck I know you will be so much better off in the future.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Do I have to Stop Eating Sweets?   Do I have to Stop Eating Sweets? EmptyFri 24 Apr 2009, 3:04 pm

Yes exercise is good, yes controling your diet is good. BUT if you can NOT maintain this you are setting yourself up for failure. Far better to choose exercise you enjoy in an amount you like to do then go all biggest loser and quiet 5 minutes later. Same goes for your diet you like sweets, allow your treats, do not deny them just make sure you get your good foods in first. This leaves such a tiny amount of room for that bad stuff it doesnt matter.
That last 10 or so kg you might have to watch exactly what you eat to lose it, just accept that as a fact, but until then LIVE girl LIVE :)

applesauce
Back to top Go down
wombat
wombat

Female
Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2009-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Do I have to Stop Eating Sweets?   Do I have to Stop Eating Sweets? EmptyFri 24 Apr 2009, 1:36 pm

Well, I liked sweet things like cake, chocolate, biscuits, chocolate, icecream, chocolate you get the picture?

From Day one on Monday, sweet stuff just about makes me puke, I kinda hope it stays that way, coz it will be really easy to avoid anything that makes me want to puke;)

They started me on blue gatorade in hospital, well as Resource clear fruit medical drinks - they both tasted like pure undiluted cordial syrup, so I survived on water and apple juice while in hospital.

I am only day 4, but can't imagine eating a normal or even small slice of cake - I reckon a teaspoon or two would fill you up nicely.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do I have to Stop Eating Sweets?   Do I have to Stop Eating Sweets? EmptyFri 24 Apr 2009, 12:49 pm

Hi Super,

I know exactly what you are talking about. I disgust my self when i think back at some of the things i'd eat, not the things, the amount! People talk about how they can eat a whole packet of timtams, pffft! amatures!

I'm 2 months give or take post op. I found that because i could no longer eat the whole thing in one go, i've turned into a bit of a picker. I still couldn't eat the whole thing even over a few days, but it turned into a nasty grazing habit, which really affected my weigh loss. I'm making a real effort to kick it. But it is an ongoing struggle at the moment. Stubborn arse determination is the only thing saving me right now! So just be aware it can sneek up on you.

ahhh...exercise? whats that? LMAO!
Back to top Go down
Supershrinkme
Supershrinkme

Male
Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Do I have to Stop Eating Sweets?   Do I have to Stop Eating Sweets? EmptyFri 24 Apr 2009, 8:38 am

Thanks everyone for your great comments. Sometimes I forget the reason why I am doing this and that is to be healthy again!!!

Belly my problem was not that I picked at it all day it was i would have to consume the whole thing in one sitting. If something was put in front of me I would eat until it was gone, even if I was full 20 bites ago.

I did see the shrink a few weeks back and he gave me some good information and other things i didnt want to hear....like exercise.

I do hope that I loose my love of sweets but even if I dont at least my portion control will help.
Back to top Go down
Max
Part of the furniture
Max

Female
Number of posts : 390
Registration date : 2009-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Do I have to Stop Eating Sweets?   Do I have to Stop Eating Sweets? EmptyFri 24 Apr 2009, 6:49 am

Hi ,

Last night I ate 4 cadbury share chocolates, you know the little miniture ones that come in the share box. I also have sweet teeth and have up till last night just picked a little here and there. Don;t know what came over me last night, however after eating 4 of these little chocolates I felt so sick. I am 3 weeks post op so I think after 5 weeks of being good, 4 chocolates was just too much. Lesson for me, maybe 1 every now and then is ok, But I don;t expect I will again pig out on 4.
In my 3 weeks experience, I can have small amounts of sweets but I no longer want to many. Afterall I had this operation so I could control these urges.

Max
Back to top Go down
sophia
Part of the furniture
sophia

Female
Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Do I have to Stop Eating Sweets?   Do I have to Stop Eating Sweets? EmptyFri 24 Apr 2009, 1:03 am

Hi Supershrinkme,
just a suggestion... does your doctor have a pyschologist they can recommend? It may be worthwhile seeing them and working through any food issues prior to surgery. It would be far better to do this before surgery, than have you fall into a heap after surgery. The world is full of stories of people post bariatric surgery who make milkshakes with Mars Bars.

Getting your head ready for surgery can be a huge challenge - it is a major lifestyle change. I feel that nothing can prepare you 100% (it's like having a baby - no matter how much you read, the realilty is a shock!!) but the more prepared you are the better!

I still adore fried food and bakery stuff. Having a sleeve hasn't taken that away (drats!) but it has forced me to change how and what I eat. Comparitively;, I eat hardly anything... but these are fairly "bulky" foods and I literally can't fit a lot in! It's still very easy to eat sweets, which don't take up as much physical room. That's my experience anyways.
Sophia
Back to top Go down
Deb
Sponsor
Deb

Female
Number of posts : 1924
Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Do I have to Stop Eating Sweets?   Do I have to Stop Eating Sweets? EmptyThu 23 Apr 2009, 1:31 pm

I haven't counted calories since the surgery at all Supershrinkme. If you have small portions of healthy foods (mainly protein and some vegetables) for your meals and avoid picking and snacking, you won't be able to help but lose weight.
While you are trying to lose weight sweets should be an occasional indulgence (or like Newlife, have a TINY bit on a regular basis) you will do OK. You can introduce more of these things when you are at goal and maintian your weight loss without too much problem.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do I have to Stop Eating Sweets?   Do I have to Stop Eating Sweets? EmptyThu 23 Apr 2009, 6:13 am

Hi Super,

I think what your surgeon was trying to tell you is that any weight loss surgery (WSL) isn't a magic cure. You still have to hold up your end of the bargain. Even though its much easier because you can't fit a lot in.

With regards to your sweet teeth, the problem is that typically 'bad' food goes down really easily. You will need to make good food choices most of the time to consistantly lose weight. So if you pick at your cheese cake all day you could still easily far exceed a sensible amount of calories for the day. And you probably won't have eaten enough good food so your energy level will drop through the floor and you'll be really lethargic and miserable.

Its all about balance. If you're good most of the time you'll get good results. If you play up too much you won't lose as much, or possibly gain. I wouldn't worry too much about losing your addiction to cakes, baklava and donughts. You'd be better off without the empty calories :)

With regard to counting calories. I detest it as well. But there are a couple of websites which are free that you can track your daily intake on. One is Calorie King, its really popular. I couldn't work it, caveman i am! The one i use is Mikibo, i find it much easier to use. Give them a try and see how you go.

Good luck with it all. Just remember, like all things in life, you get out what you put in!
Back to top Go down
FaddingAway
Part of the furniture
FaddingAway

Female
Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Do I have to Stop Eating Sweets?   Do I have to Stop Eating Sweets? EmptyThu 23 Apr 2009, 6:02 am

Your Dr gives you a tool to help you lose weight.If you eat the wrong things YES you WILL put on weight.
You have to ask yourself?
why am I doing this?
Why am I having this op?
Do I really want to lose weight?
You should exercise too, if you are not seriuos then don't bother to have the op as if you don't try and continue to eat high calorie foods then having this op will be a waste of time and money.
Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear.
Back to top Go down
Supershrinkme
Supershrinkme

Male
Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-04-17

PostSubject: Do I have to Stop Eating Sweets?   Do I have to Stop Eating Sweets? EmptyThu 23 Apr 2009, 4:24 am

Hi All

Today I went and seen my surgeon for the final time before the sleeve op and he had said somtthing that struck me as odd and that is even if you had the sleev you could still gain weight if you ate the wrong foods such as sweets.

I have always been a big portion eater both sweets and savouries and thought that if you got the sleev you ensure that you cant eat as much. So if I used to before eat half a cheesecake after the sleeve I should eat what....1 slice? How would that increase my weight?

I have read that many people that were addicted to some types of food no longer like these foods after the sleeve...this scares me as I love baklava, cakes and donuts!

I am still trying to get my head arround this counting calories idea as the diets i usually went for were atkins and carb counting was easy.

I dont have a sweet tooth.....I have sweet teeth Do I have to Stop Eating Sweets? 878453 .....is this going to have a big impact on my weight loss post sleev?

Has anyone had problems with sweets or have to avoid them to loose weight?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do I have to Stop Eating Sweets?   Do I have to Stop Eating Sweets? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do I have to Stop Eating Sweets?
Page 1 of 1