9 posters
AuthorMessage
Vivace

Female
Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2015-03-31

Dr Bowden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Bowden   Dr Bowden EmptyTue 31 Mar 2015, 4:02 am

Ladies, I know this thread is a few months old, but I've been searching for some information on changing from my lap band to a sleeve and Blair Bowden was my surgeon back in 2009 when I got it. I attended upon him again last night because of the issues I'm having and he needs to remove my band and asked me to decide whether he repositions it or removes it and then does a sleeve in 4 months time. My surgery is this Thursday 2 April 2015.

6 years down the track to the day, I'm having issues eating and drinking everything and anything. I have always struggled with my weight even with the band. When I first got it, I lost about 25kgs and then slowly it crept back on and at the beginning of last year I was actually 13kgs heavier than when I first had my surgery. Last year I lost 33kgs by really watching what I ate and I guess the band also helped. The last few weeks, I've struggled to keep food down regardless of what and how much I eat.

Blair is a fantastic doctor and yes, his bedside manner is wonderful. My sister and I both find the band difficult to live with and maybe this is my chance to finally fix my weight issues. I know I would still have to monitor what I eat, but it's sounding like it's a much better option and I could tell Blair would like to see me do this, even if he didn't come straight out and say it.

I will post this as a new post also, but I particularly wanted to hear from some of you given the conversation you've already had in here. What are your thoughts on changing to a sleeve?
Back to top Go down
mama29

Female
Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Dr Bowden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Bowden   Dr Bowden EmptyTue 02 Sep 2014, 3:40 am

Hi, Just want to add a thumbs up for Dr Bowden.  I am due to be sleeved in October with him.  Due to our gypsy tendencies (we just moved to bris late last year after 15 years of moving every 18 months - 2 years), I don't have a proper GP that knows me.  I went to a local GP who wanted me to try other things first (like I haven't already), so then I went to the GP that works from Dr Bowden's rooms.  She was good, a little clinical and explained all 3 procedures very thoroughly.  To be honest I did kind of feel like she was pushing the band, but that's probably because I had already decided I did not want the band, so didn't want to really hear about it?  

I had my first consult with Dr Bowden himself yesterday.  He is absolutely pro sleeve.  He needs to update his posters and literature in his rooms, and his website, I agree as it seems from all that that he is much more pro band. I am sure he still has many people coming into his rooms for band adjustments etc, so the info is good for them. 

He didn't so much as blink when I said I wanted the sleeve, and in fact was very encouraging and said I'd probably get results faster (and any longer term weight gain is all about the maintenance after all).

His bed side manner is so great, I have a friend who was banded by him and she has nothing but praise for his bedside manner also.  He is extremely professional without the clinical coldness some surgeons have.
Back to top Go down
bringingbackme
bringingbackme

Female
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2014-04-10

Dr Bowden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Bowden   Dr Bowden EmptySun 08 Jun 2014, 9:24 am

I was sleeved by Dr Bowden, never once did he push me towards the band. I've had a great recovery, no gas pain, no reflux, no nausea, very minimal pain. He is so caring, as was the entire team I had - Dr Brown for anthetist, and the theatre nurse. He came and visited me everyday in hospital, go extra checks done, as I had an issue with a leg vein whilst in hospital. 

All the nurses spoke so highly of him too.
Back to top Go down
BadWolfB

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-06-12

Dr Bowden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Bowden   Dr Bowden EmptySat 07 Jun 2014, 3:40 pm

Hi everyone, this is my first post on here - although I am a long time stalker :P

Dr Bowden did my band operation and I have always felt supported by everyone at the clinic through the whole banding thing. Unfortunately, the band just isn't worth the stress for me any more and I had no interest in seeing any other surgeon other than Dr Bowden (@ Wesley hospital) for my sleeve operation. That is just me though.

I know he is experienced with sleeves and bypasses although he is still an advocate of the band. My band has sprung a leak and while I was encouraged to give the band another chance (less risk), I am also fully supported in my decision to swap to the sleeve.

Since he did my band, he will remove it no-gap and then sleeve for $500 gap. I am just having trouble nailing down surgery dates!! Swapping jobs can be such a pain sometimes...

IMO, arrogant is one of the last words I would use to describe him. I like that I have never felt judged by him. Again, just my experience. 

Sorry to ramble, I just wanted to add some info since there isn't much to find on him :)

Thank you to everyone who has posted B2S stories - I am still researching as much as possible and particularly worried about weight gain in the 3 month wait...
Back to top Go down

Dr Bowden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Bowden   Dr Bowden EmptyFri 30 May 2014, 8:15 am

Mandas,  this reply might be a bit late for you, but helpful to others :)   I was not banded by Dr Bowden but his rooms was where I went to get my band filled.  I was there 2 weeks ago and as far as I can tell he is a huge advocate for the lapband.  He has posters on his walls, all about the band and no other types of weight loss surgery.  Perhaps you can share your experience of sleeve surgery with him?  In my research, he has not once crossed my mind as someone to consider for this :)
Back to top Go down
Mandas
Mandas

Female
Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2013-08-07

Dr Bowden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Bowden   Dr Bowden EmptyTue 20 Aug 2013, 11:19 am

Tara who was yours? What hospital did you go with?
Back to top Go down
tumultuous-tara
Part of the furniture
tumultuous-tara

Female
Number of posts : 793
Registration date : 2011-11-29

Dr Bowden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Bowden   Dr Bowden EmptyTue 20 Aug 2013, 7:46 am

Hahaha GOOD point !!

I don't know !!

I think I heard, I can't remember who (Hopkins.. Greenslade?) were doing like 20 per week.

I mean it's totally up to you with what you feel comfortable with. I would just want a very experienced (at that surgery) bloke cutting in to me.

Tara
Back to top Go down
Mandas
Mandas

Female

Dr Bowden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Bowden   Dr Bowden EmptyTue 20 Aug 2013, 6:43 am

Thanks Tara, 
How many sleeves per week would be appropriate do you think?
Back to top Go down
tumultuous-tara
Part of the furniture
tumultuous-tara

Female

Dr Bowden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Bowden   Dr Bowden EmptyTue 20 Aug 2013, 6:33 am

Manda,

I would be asking him how many sleeves he has done in total and how many he does per week.
The same with Bypasses.
And what his complication % is.
If he is not doing many it tells you a lot.

I had already been Sleeved when I asked my surgeon all this stuff but he was very forthcoming with the answers.

Good luck on Friday,
Tara
Back to top Go down
Mandas
Mandas

Female

Dr Bowden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Bowden   Dr Bowden EmptyTue 20 Aug 2013, 4:56 am

Thanks Shelli & Glenmaree for your experience!

But Glenmaree that is worrying about the pouch being too big :( 

I have my appointment with him on Friday.
Back to top Go down
glenmaree
Part of the furniture
glenmaree

Female
Number of posts : 745
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Dr Bowden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Bowden   Dr Bowden EmptyTue 20 Aug 2013, 4:10 am

I have heard that he can be quite arrogant and know of one person who was bypassed by him.  Her pouch is to big so she has not lost any weight and he won't fix it for her.

Have you googled him, often times there is interesting info.

Check the thread for questions to ask your surgeon and good.uck with the decision making

G
Back to top Go down
~shelli~
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2013-08-15

Dr Bowden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Bowden   Dr Bowden EmptyTue 20 Aug 2013, 1:06 am

Hi Mandas

I had Dr Bowden do hernia surgery on me about 7yrs ago. I had no problems with him at all and was happy with his work.

I'm considering him for my sleeve so am looking for info as well. Are you able to share costs if you know them yet?

I'm also looking at Dr Greenslade as he is so highly recommended here. It's further to travel though so I have to take that into consideration for pre and post op appointments.
Back to top Go down
Suzy77
Part of the furniture
Suzy77

Female
Number of posts : 488
Registration date : 2012-08-28

Dr Bowden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Bowden   Dr Bowden EmptyFri 09 Aug 2013, 8:32 am

Hi Mandas, I didn't have dr Bowden as my surgeon but have met him when he has stood in for my surgeon when he has been away. He has a lovely bedside manner. Definitely one of the best.
Surgically though I've heard of one or two minorissues so he wouldn't be my surgeon of choice but these are second hand stories and also inappropriate to share on here so hopefully one of his patients can come forward to chat to you.
All the best with your decision,
Xxx
Back to top Go down
Mandas
Mandas

Female

Dr Bowden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Bowden   Dr Bowden EmptyThu 08 Aug 2013, 8:30 am

Thanks for your reply Tara!

Hopefully others will reply.
I'm so scared the sleeve won't work.

Last edited by Mandas on Tue 13 Aug 2013, 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tumultuous-tara
Part of the furniture
tumultuous-tara

Female

Dr Bowden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Bowden   Dr Bowden EmptyWed 07 Aug 2013, 12:59 pm

Hiya Manda,

I did a bit of a search on here but it seems there are no real threads on Dr Bowden.

I know 4 years ago he was very popular with people being Banded but it's weird I can't find anything on him sleeving.

It will be interesting to see what replies you get.

All the best with your research,
Tara

PS- have you a look at Justin Greenslade in Greenslopes - he's excellent.
Back to top Go down
Mandas
Mandas

Female

Dr Bowden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Bowden   Dr Bowden EmptyWed 07 Aug 2013, 9:34 am

Dr Bowden is in Brisbane
Back to top Go down
Mandas
Mandas

Female

Dr Bowden Empty
PostSubject: Dr Bowden   Dr Bowden EmptyWed 07 Aug 2013, 9:22 am

This is my very first post and I'm trying to navigate around this site.

Has anyone got any good/bad news about Dr Bowden? All comments welcome. :-)

Thanks,
Mandas
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dr Bowden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Bowden   Dr Bowden Empty

Back to top Go down

Dr Bowden
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about You! :: From Band To Sleeve-
Jump to: