4 posters
AuthorMessage
wombat
wombat

Female
Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2009-03-18

The first few days home? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The first few days home?   The first few days home? EmptySun 26 Apr 2009, 10:13 am

I don't want to risk it so will avoid lumpy bits. As it turns out, yogurt is too sweet for me at the moment anyway, so I am sticking to a limited range of soups. One more week, bring on the mushies!
Back to top Go down
Deb
Sponsor
Deb

Female
Number of posts : 1924
Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: The first few days home?   The first few days home? EmptyFri 24 Apr 2009, 10:46 am

To be on the safe side (but I think you would be OK anyway) I would stick to smooth yoghurts like vanilla, honey etc.
Back to top Go down
wombat
wombat

Female

PostSubject: Re: The first few days home?   The first few days home? EmptyFri 24 Apr 2009, 4:17 am

Well I am still on 30ml every half hour, today I can start nourishing fluids so have sent hubby up to the shop to get a couple of things (including a jar of chicken something baby food).

My tastes have changed dramatically already - I could not bare the Resource fruit drink or gatorade they gave me in hopsital, made me so nauseous coz of the sweetness. The hospitals consomne made me feel ill coz it was too strong and salty, so I have lived on water and apple juice - neither of those tastes like they did pre-surgery.

The only thing that tastes nice is my Hilde Himmes organic veg soup. Hopefully the tastes buds will settle down soon, I definitely feel like I need more nutrition, I am headachey and feeling yuck, hopefully a few 30ml shots of nutritious liquids will help me out:)

On the plus side, the only reason I remember to take the 30ml shots is that I either get crampy (de-hydration I guess esp after sleeping) or light headed, there is no hunger at all...I like the idea of a big glass of ice cold water, but not if I actually think about drinking it (head thirst maybe?).

OK - so as long as it goes through a straw, so liquidey but what about if it has little bits, like in fruit yogurt, should I strain them out if they are too big, but keep them in if they will go through a straw?

I'm exhausted, need a nanny nap I think:)
Back to top Go down
annmjohnston

Female
Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2009-04-01

PostSubject: Re: The first few days home?   The first few days home? EmptyThu 23 Apr 2009, 5:05 am

Hi Wombat, hope all has gone well, Im sure it will.. when I first came home I only felt like very small bits so just a little yogurt and maybe some home made soup but i really only had a tablespoon thats all I felt like. I too dont mind the optifast and at least you know that has lots of goodness. I was only having about 50mls dont keep the left overs just keep making a new one up... lets face it your not eating (drinking) a great amount so make sure it is nice and fresh... I look forward to hearing your stories.

I am now 34days post op... and feeling great... I have losts 13kgs in that short time.... regards Ann
Back to top Go down
Deb
Sponsor
Deb

Female

PostSubject: Re: The first few days home?   The first few days home? EmptySun 19 Apr 2009, 11:34 pm

Oh and don't forget Sustagen or Up N Go for if you are in a hurry, needing a meal when you are not at home or just feeling tired and lazy
Back to top Go down
Deb
Sponsor
Deb

Female

PostSubject: Re: The first few days home?   The first few days home? EmptySun 19 Apr 2009, 11:33 pm

You can have literally anything you like as long as you can get it through a straw. That means stews, baked beans, soups- whatever. In the case of thicker things like stews, just water them down with stock, water or milk. Don't forget to use those protein powders (eg whey protein isolate is fantastic) to up your protein levels. You can add them to soups, smoothies or any foods with a bit of liquid content. 2 weeks will go before you know it.
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: The first few days home?   The first few days home? EmptySun 19 Apr 2009, 11:29 pm

Not stupid, I want to know too!!!
Back to top Go down
wombat
wombat

Female

PostSubject: The first few days home?   The first few days home? EmptySun 19 Apr 2009, 2:43 pm

I meant to do this last week but well it was one of those weeks! I'm not worried about the mushies stage, I think I have that under control, but thought I'd ask if anyone had any tips for the liquids stage (I think I am on that until day 14 or maybe it was 21).

I've read that alot of people's tastes change after surgery - does that happen quickly or over time?

I've got brothy soups and packets of jelly ready and I actually like vanilla Optifast, I'm not particulalry keen on iceypole type things, but could go with frozen fruit juices I guess or milky ones. If I freeze yoghurt in icy pole containers, would that be considered a liquid or mushie?

Course, I won't be able to read the replies until Wednesday when I come home, but I can then send hubby out for supplies. I'm not sure I am going to particulalry care what I eat as long as it is nutritious, but just in case, I'd love some alternative ideas:)

LOL this is such a silly question, I think I am tired, nervous and I really should go to bed so I am rested for surgery tomorrow.

Night everyone.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The first few days home?   The first few days home? Empty

Back to top Go down

The first few days home?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: