Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
abeatty

Female
Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2013-05-18

2 weeks away and terrified!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 weeks away and terrified!!   2 weeks away and terrified!! EmptySun 19 May 2013, 12:22 am

Thanks so much, Louisa! It's definitely different, particularly in the stages where food is introduced. During the three post-op 'liquid' weeks, it's basically around the clock drinking something, with protein 'Every hour you are awake". But when the sift food is introduced, it's so comprehensive. It's basically cutting everything up small and staying away from dry things, like biscuits or breads and dry chicken.

Just being on this site has calmed me SO much, becasue my brain has been whirling. Every thought comes back to this.

I'll be sure to keep you posted!

PS. babysitting tonight, this is my last week of food before the liquid, and the kids wanted chinese food. My fortune says, "Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed" I think thats awesome.
Back to top Go down
princapia
princapia

Female
Registration date : 2013-05-04

PostSubject: Re: 2 weeks away and terrified!!   2 weeks away and terrified!! EmptySat 18 May 2013, 5:24 pm

Welcome abeatty to the group....

Certainly sounds like things are done slightly different in the US to what they are here in Australia. Although in saying that I think over here it also depends on what state you are in, the surgeon you have and the hospital. From what I can tell majority over here in OZ is pretty much the same.

For us here, it is normally recommended you go on what is called Opti-Fast (which is a brand of protein shake) prior to surgery and depending on your surgeon / dietician / weight you may be on it for either two weeks or even longer some 4 weeks, it also is differs in that some people have to have the shake 3 times a day and that's all they have where as others are allowed to have the shake twice a day with 1 small meal (which includes a protein).

Once the surgery is done people are normally in hospital for approx 2 days, that seems to be the average. I suppose this depends on your medical history etc.

I have been told that I am to expect that straight after surgery I will be in High Dependency (I believe this is common over here) and this could be for 24 hours and then moved to a ward, and that I may be in hospital for 3 - 4 days. The lengthier stay is only because I have a pre-existing medical condition which needs to be monitored. Otherwise my surgeon did say 2 days...

After surgery my understanding is that I will be on a liquid diet for about two weeks, and then onto a pureed diet for another 2 -4 weeks. My understanding is that after surgery I wont feel like eating and that I must eat every four hours and that it is very important to maintain high protein. I may be wrong but my understanding is that the surgery it self removes the portion of your stomach which makes you feel hungry (please peeps correct me if I am wrong).
After the pureed food stage you are allowed to slowly introduce solid foods, you must be careful to eat very slowly and to chew your food very well. I was told to cut everything into very small pieces. I have also been told that I am not to drink whilst eating anymore, I am to have a drink 10mins before eating, but then no drink for 30 mins after eating. Apparently this assists with you feeling full and I think there are other reasons I can't quite remember...

I too have done heaps of research and I think I have watched every you tube video under the sun. I also got a couple of opinions before deciding on my surgeon etc... I am so glad this forum is here as it has been a wealth of information and from people who have gone through are going through what I am about to.. My surgery date is the 3rd of June, so only two days after yours and as it gets closer the more nervous I am getting, but I keep thinking that in just over two weeks I will be beginning a new chapter in my life and that certainly is making me excited. I have even found myself looking at some clothes online which are smaller sizes and thinking I will be able to shop for these in the not too distant future... That makes me even more happy..... I know I have made the right decision and like some of us here am just kicking myself I didn't look into this earlier, but in he-insight I obviously wasn't ready for this earlier.

The facility you are going to sounds amazing and I don't blame you for wanting to stay there longer, they certainly get you out of there pretty quick.... Just remember that when you get home, you have had surgery and even though you need to move around don't go overdoing it, it is certainly easy to do when at home.

Trust yourself and keep remembering why you are taking this journey.... Everything will work out and you will be a new woman soon enough.... Good luck with everything I am sure all will be fine and I look forward to following your journey further....

Take care

2 weeks away and terrified!! 217555 Louisa xx
Back to top Go down
abeatty

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2 weeks away and terrified!!   2 weeks away and terrified!! EmptySat 18 May 2013, 4:12 pm

I think the hardest part for me is going to be the week before, liquid. Because one of the things they had us do was to do full liquid for 3 days and it was a horrible nightmare, I was hungry around 3pm so badly I would haven eaten a rock if that's what was available.

They don't have any specific protein shakes they recommend, but they do make suggestions and give lots of samples. BUt nothing solid at all in those 4 weeks. No meat, veggies, NOTHING. I can get away with some fruit pureed in a protein shake but thats about it. It is going to make me insane, I know it. One of my tasks this week is to go through the packet they gave of what you can eat ( I am inundated with paperwork, I seriously have a folder two inches thick of all the handouts I've gotten over the past 6 months ) and make a shopping list. ANd really plan out some things to eat, so I'm notgetting brain frazzled thinking abotu it on the spur of the moment.

THis is going to sound so shallow, but when I went for my chest xray and esophogram last week I got to see the surgery rooms, hello, like a hotel! It's a new unit specifically for this program, it's beautiful. Only 4 rooms, all private, really spacious. Hardwood floors, queen sized beds, big, BIG, luxury bathrooms. They said they realized that people in for this surgery would have specific needs like the bigger beds and showers, so they just did it all up new and so, so nice. I'm a little disappointed it's only a night!

Back to top Go down
cherrycurls

Female
Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: 2 weeks away and terrified!!   2 weeks away and terrified!! EmptySat 18 May 2013, 5:42 am

I've only heard they do open cut if there is problems. I'm on opti for 2 weeks two meals and meat portion for tea with unlimited non starch vegies throughout the day. My dietitian who works direct with my doctor she gives you a guideline on your reintroduction to food but encourages people to progress depending on how the feel without being stupid. She said it is a guide not a perscription and after the surgery she said no counting calories she would prefer me to have something higher in calories which is nutritious then something low calorie and full of crap and non nutritious. 2 weeks away and terrified!! 427584 2 weeks away and terrified!! 446871 she gives you a list of food groups that you should aim for each day.
Back to top Go down
abeatty

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2 weeks away and terrified!!   2 weeks away and terrified!! EmptySat 18 May 2013, 4:59 am

@ Cherrycurls

Thanks - I like the idea of having someone to go through this together with. And I totally get the "this is not happening to me" thing. It's a bit unreal.

Some stuff I have noticed about US vs AUS that I've been seeing just from a few days of reading the site -

All the surgeries are laproscopic here, and I'm seeing some reports of open for the sleeve on here. Thats only happening if there are complications afterward.

Unless there are problems, I've been told I'll be released from the hospital the following day. They actually want you up and walking four hours after surgery and want you doing two laps around the unit by the next day. Expected time before going back to work is 1-2 weeks.

The sleeve is so new here that there are no good stats on it, but they toss lap bands around like party favors.

the liquid diet is 1 week pre and 3 post surgery. That's it. And it's not necessarily a program although they want you having protein shakes. It's soups, broth, custard, gelatin, smoothies, etc. Nothing with seeds, 1 oz of something every 15 minutes and 2 oz of protein the top of every hour. Then 12 weeks of soft foods, then regular food.

I did the conversions because I'm the non-metric here...I am currently 113 Kg at 150 cm and hope to get to 60 Kg. (I think in metric for work but not in terms of myself!)

This is the place I am having my surgery done bariatrics.stonybrookmedicalcenter.org

My favorite part of the program is the constant support, and I like the psych part. It's really helped my relationship with food.
Back to top Go down
cherrycurls

Female
Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: 2 weeks away and terrified!!   2 weeks away and terrified!! EmptySat 18 May 2013, 4:07 am

My surgery is on the 30th so we can be wcared and excited together, ive kind of burried my head in the sand, I've done a lot of research just cant believe that this is really happening not to me anyway 2 weeks away and terrified!! 314562
Back to top Go down
btgirl
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 874
Registration date : 2012-12-17

PostSubject: Re: 2 weeks away and terrified!!   2 weeks away and terrified!! EmptySat 18 May 2013, 3:39 am

Welcome, it will be interesting to compare what happens here in Australia post op to you in America.
All the best for the 31st .
Btgirl
Back to top Go down
abeatty

Female

PostSubject: 2 weeks away and terrified!!   2 weeks away and terrified!! EmptySat 18 May 2013, 3:11 am

HI all - I am so pleased I found this site, I have a date for my sleeve two weeks from today on May 31st. I am alternately excited and terrified. I am afraid I am doing too much research and freaking myself out. I am getting obsessed with complication statistics. Seeing things here is calming me down. I decided I should make the account and take advantage of the others going through what I am.

Wait - should have done this first....

My name is Andrea, I'm 41 and married to a chef which is not the blessing you'd think when trying to control eating! I am having my surgery done at StonyBrook Medical Center in NY, in a new section of the hospital built specifically for their bariatric program. The program is great - for the past 6 months I have been meeting with the nutritionist, psychologist, and surgeon at least once a month. ALthough my insurance would have paid immediately as my BMI is over 50, the program itself will not take any patients who haven't completed their program. I am very satisfied with my surgeon and all the support I am getting, but my enemy is my own brain at this point.

Thanks for listening to my story, I know we'll all get through this together!

Ang
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2 weeks away and terrified!!   2 weeks away and terrified!! Empty

Back to top Go down

2 weeks away and terrified!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: