AuthorMessage
LittleMissCee
Administrator
LittleMissCee

Female
Number of posts : 2103
Registration date : 2010-01-03

Effexor post op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Effexor post op   Effexor post op EmptyFri 03 May 2013, 2:37 am

Glad to hear its worked out. Best of luck with your recovery.
Back to top Go down
scoots266
scoots266

Female
Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2012-11-27

Effexor post op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Effexor post op   Effexor post op EmptyFri 03 May 2013, 12:44 am

Thought i'd just update as i'm now postop so other people looking know what happened. I HAD to be nil by mouth till the afternoon the day following surgery when my barium swallow results became available, this was in part because i was at higher risk (2% instead of 1%) of a leak due to previous stomach surgery. So i had to miss just one day of my effexor but am now taking it again as normal, just have to do so without really much in my new tummy coz its so small it can't hold a capsule and a bunch of other stuff too!
Back to top Go down
scoots266
scoots266

Female

Effexor post op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Effexor post op   Effexor post op EmptySun 28 Apr 2013, 12:20 am

thanks for that, this is all very reassuring!
Back to top Go down
butterflyfallen
butterflyfallen

Female
Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2011-04-22

Effexor post op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Effexor post op   Effexor post op EmptySun 28 Apr 2013, 12:01 am

I take efexor and i too didnt think about it until it was too late! I woke up in the middle of the night on the day i had my surgery and thought bugger! If i dont take it daily i get all fuzzy and nauseous so not taking it wasnt an option. I had some water that had melted down from the ice i was allowed to have, so took it with that and it went down fine. That was about 5 hours post op. I never had an issue with any tablets, as they started me the next day on theirs (for reflux etc, cant remember the names). So you should be fine :)
Back to top Go down
scoots266
scoots266

Female

Effexor post op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Effexor post op   Effexor post op EmptySat 27 Apr 2013, 12:55 pm

Thanks for that, good to have some previous experiences in my head when talking to the dr about it. Hopefully won't have to miss any doses! And i've managed, quite by accident, to find a brand of effexor that comes in slightly smaller capsules, so made sure i went to the chemist today that provides that brand and bought some
Back to top Go down
newlifestyle888
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2009-10-08

Effexor post op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Effexor post op   Effexor post op EmptySat 27 Apr 2013, 12:26 pm

Hi,

I was sleeved three years ago and was taking effexor and epilim, my doctor insisted I not miss a dose. So I opened effexor capsules and just had the small balls inside and epilim came in liquid form, nurse did try epilim tablets on me but I couldn't swallow them as it was only the first night of op. They were aware I needed liquid form, but didn't have it made up. Once I had liquid epilim no problems and effexor taken this way was easy.

Goodluck with your op and the medications shouldn't cause you any problems.

Take Care
V

Effexor post op 63412
Back to top Go down
Vesna

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-03-27

Effexor post op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Effexor post op   Effexor post op EmptySat 27 Apr 2013, 11:11 am

I take Aurorix for depression, and I took it the next day after surgery. It's quite a big tablet.. If you break a tablet in half it tends to have rough edges and can hurt or get caught..
Back to top Go down
scoots266
scoots266

Female

Effexor post op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Effexor post op   Effexor post op EmptyFri 26 Apr 2013, 1:54 pm

All good littlemisscee :)

I believe it is filled with little balls, but not totally sure about that
Back to top Go down
Kiley
Part of the furniture
Kiley

Female
Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2012-12-29

Effexor post op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Effexor post op   Effexor post op EmptyFri 26 Apr 2013, 11:08 am

Is it a liquid capsule? Just asking not from medical standpoint but as someone who has suffered nausea most her life.... Have you ever thrown one up? Gross I know but I always avoid them because they tend to be horrid once the capsule has dissolved and burn the throat....
Back to top Go down
LittleMissCee
Administrator
LittleMissCee

Female

Effexor post op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Effexor post op   Effexor post op EmptyFri 26 Apr 2013, 10:50 am

Sorry, didn't read that part of it being a capsule, just saw the bit down the bottom about crushing a tablet.

Hope all goes well.
Back to top Go down
scoots266
scoots266

Female

Effexor post op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Effexor post op   Effexor post op EmptyFri 26 Apr 2013, 8:32 am

the effexor is a capsule. I spoke to the practice nurse on the phone this morning (she rang to check everything was all good before surgery monday). She said to talk to the anaesthetist on monday as they would be organising my meds, she said at worst i may just not be able to have it for a few days, but that i would be having a tablet for reflux everyday from immediately post op so hopefully it won't be a problem
Back to top Go down
LittleMissCee
Administrator
LittleMissCee

Female

Effexor post op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Effexor post op   Effexor post op EmptyFri 26 Apr 2013, 2:43 am

If all else fails get a pill cutter. Will taste far better than a a crushed pill.
Back to top Go down
scoots266
scoots266

Female

Effexor post op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Effexor post op   Effexor post op EmptyThu 25 Apr 2013, 2:51 pm

Thanks, unfortunately as my surgery is monday and its now thursday night talking to the gp won't be an option, not sure if he'd have the answer anywyas, i will talk to the surgeon at the hospital, just hoping to get an idea fro others. I havr spoke to a pharmacist about whether it comes in liquid etc, but it doesn't, he said if necessary i could open the capsule and just take the innards but it will affect the absorption of it. I also discussed with the oharmacist whether if necessary a change could be made to pristiq, which is very similar in chemical makeup to effexor (i should mention here that i am a nurse), and i can without having to have any washout period or decreasing dose of effexor first, so if for some reason i can't tolerate effexor capsules taht is an option because pristiq is a small tablet, and it can be crushed.
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

Effexor post op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Effexor post op   Effexor post op EmptyThu 25 Apr 2013, 12:28 pm

go talk to your gp, I am on 150 and know I managed to get them down but can't remember what I did in the hospital, I know if I don't take for a few days my body goes into shock.
Back to top Go down
scoots266
scoots266

Female

Effexor post op Empty
PostSubject: Effexor post op   Effexor post op EmptyThu 25 Apr 2013, 8:37 am

Hi all,

I'm being sleeved on the 29th (just four more sleeps) and just wondering if anyone was taking effexor at the time of their surgery? And if they had any problems with it post op?

I forgot to mention it to the surgeon on my last appointment and i wasn't on it at my first appointment. I did ask the clinic nurse but all she could tell me was that some people have trouble with it post op due to its size. I am only on 75mg, so not a super huge capsule.

I am particularly interested in the immediate post op period, the first few days and weeks.

This is the best i've ever felt since first becoming depressed 3 or 4 years ago and i don't want to change my meds or go off them unless absolutely necessary....i quite like feeling normal!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Effexor post op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Effexor post op   Effexor post op Empty

Back to top Go down

Effexor post op
Page 1 of 1