10 posters
AuthorMessage
Aerial
Aerial

Female
Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2013-03-13

Are you with HBF? Empty
PostSubject: Are you with HBF?   Are you with HBF? EmptyWed 20 Mar 2013, 11:00 am

I have just taken out HBF specifically for gastric sleeve surgery in a years time. Has anyone had gastric sleeve surgery using Young Singles Saver Hospital Cover? It costs around $30 fortnight. I am asking as, when I did my research, this was the cheapest that covered gastric sleeve surgery but it is half the cost of other PHI cover for gastric sleeving. I have asked 4 people at HBF if they are certain it will cover and I also phoned my proposed surgeon and got the item number and provider number and HBF confirmed it WILL cover gastric sleeve surgery. I feel confused though. I don't want to get 8 months down the track, go for my pre appointment only to find out I don't qualify. They said it doesn't cover heart, plastics or knee joint replacements however it fully covers gastric sleeving - why is there such a big price difference in providers? Have I missed something?
Back to top Go down
btgirl
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 874
Registration date : 2012-12-17

Are you with HBF? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you with HBF?   Are you with HBF? EmptyWed 20 Mar 2013, 12:56 pm

Aerial, ask HBF to send you confirmation in writing that you are covered.
I am with HBF but I am on intermediate cover and I know I am fully covered.
Btgirl
Back to top Go down
sara777
Part of the furniture
sara777

Female
Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2013-01-21

Are you with HBF? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you with HBF?   Are you with HBF? EmptyWed 20 Mar 2013, 7:38 pm

Hey...

Inbox me I work for Bupa who bought out hbf....I may be able to help you out.....Australia government says as of April.......it MUST be top hospital and many companies aren't even coving the surgery .....when is you surgery ? Just in box me and I can check it out for you once I am back home xxx
Back to top Go down
getstuck
Part of the furniture
getstuck

Female
Number of posts : 478
Registration date : 2013-03-12

Are you with HBF? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you with HBF?   Are you with HBF? EmptyThu 28 Mar 2013, 3:05 am

Aerial wrote:
I have just taken out HBF specifically for gastric sleeve surgery in a years time. Has anyone had gastric sleeve surgery using Young Singles Saver Hospital Cover? It costs around $30 fortnight. I am asking as, when I did my research, this was the cheapest that covered gastric sleeve surgery but it is half the cost of other PHI cover for gastric sleeving. I have asked 4 people at HBF if they are certain it will cover and I also phoned my proposed surgeon and got the item number and provider number and HBF confirmed it WILL cover gastric sleeve surgery. I feel confused though. I don't want to get 8 months down the track, go for my pre appointment only to find out I don't qualify. They said it doesn't cover heart, plastics or knee joint replacements however it fully covers gastric sleeving - why is there such a big price difference in providers? Have I missed something?

i am on the same as you and they have reassured me 4 times that i will be covered so it must be fine

i have looked through all my paperwork and it doesnt say that it isnt covered

i dont know why it is so much cheaper but i think maybe it is because with the others they include pregnancy related things and ours doesnt
Back to top Go down
bluebags
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2204
Registration date : 2013-01-21

Are you with HBF? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you with HBF?   Are you with HBF? EmptyThu 28 Mar 2013, 6:58 am

Geez Sara I only just checked about 2 weeks ago with Bupa and with Medicare and no-one said anything about April. I do have top hosp anyway but both the girls at Bupa and Medicare stated if it has a medicare number its covered.

Many years ago I also worked for what was MBF I think all private health insurers are sharks. The private health industry needs to stop changing the ball game every time they see something costly coming this op is cheap compared to heart surgery which many obese will be heading for in the future you would hope both Medicare (Government) and health insurers would embrace operations that are going to save money in the long term.

With several pollies and high profile people coming out in recent times for having the op hopefully it will spur on some positive discussion in Parliament to late for us but good for the future.
Back to top Go down
LittleMissCee
Administrator
LittleMissCee

Female
Number of posts : 2103
Registration date : 2010-01-03

Are you with HBF? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you with HBF?   Are you with HBF? EmptyThu 28 Mar 2013, 7:09 am

I'm with HBF, couldn't tell you what cover I have though off the top of my head.

I was covered fully with my sleeve, I think at the time I may have had top hospital cover however.

Hey Sara,

Are you sure BUPA have taken over HBF? I thought it was HIF....
Back to top Go down
btgirl
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 874
Registration date : 2012-12-17

Are you with HBF? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you with HBF?   Are you with HBF? EmptyThu 28 Mar 2013, 9:51 am

I have intermediate cover and qualify to have the sleeve.
Btgirl
Back to top Go down
JenBen
Part of the furniture
JenBen

Female
Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2012-08-01

Are you with HBF? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you with HBF?   Are you with HBF? EmptySat 20 Apr 2013, 2:36 pm

I have the smart saver twin pack (covers the family) and it covered my surgery. Pretty sure single savers is along the same lines, they are both twin packs.
Back to top Go down

Are you with HBF? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you with HBF?   Are you with HBF? EmptySun 21 Apr 2013, 1:17 am

I am with HCF and my insurance "covers" gastric surgery,but most Dr's charge OVER what the cover is with your health fund.
Whilst I am fully covered I still had to pay $5000 as my DR charges more than what the health fund covers.
This was the 2nd Dr I had been too and the first Dr was the same.He was slightly cheaper but it was all more than what the health fund covered.
Back to top Go down
getstuck
Part of the furniture
getstuck

Female

Are you with HBF? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you with HBF?   Are you with HBF? EmptySun 21 Apr 2013, 1:49 am

I'm with hbf singles savers and its fully covered however I did need to pay $1600 gap for my surgeon everything else is covered but it depends on the surgeon and gas man
Back to top Go down

Are you with HBF? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you with HBF?   Are you with HBF? EmptySun 21 Apr 2013, 1:59 am

getstuck wrote:
I'm with hbf singles savers and its fully covered however I did need to pay $1600 gap for my surgeon everything else is covered but it depends on the surgeon and gas man

Yes my surgeon formed a package too(psychologist,dietician and all follow up appointments included ),which included the gas man..but it was still $5000 out of pocket .
Back to top Go down
Chongololo
Part of the furniture
Chongololo

Female
Number of posts : 479
Registration date : 2013-01-10

Are you with HBF? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you with HBF?   Are you with HBF? EmptySun 21 Apr 2013, 3:25 am

whaaat? HBF has been taken out? GAH.

Less competition is BAD. I would be double checking that all is covered once the dust settles - Sara, you are a star to offer to check things for people ((hug))

I am with HBF, smart saver twin pack, all my stuff was covered, all I got from HBF were reams of letters about all the stuff they had paid, very happy with them. My surgeon has a 4k out of pocket fee, though - you can pay it off which is nice.

the only stuff I wasn't covered for were all of the drugs in hospital (but the pain pump I WAS covered for, go figure...) I also had to pay a bit for the private room - $70 per night, wort it to me. Plus the physio have paid upfront, I can claim some of that. 274 for the drugs - but $90 of that was the iron infusion I needed :)

HBF have been magic for me, I hope they don't change too much :S
Back to top Go down
JenBen
Part of the furniture
JenBen

Female
Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2012-08-01

Are you with HBF? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you with HBF?   Are you with HBF? EmptySun 21 Apr 2013, 3:48 am

Yep, as others have said, still had to pay the surgeon's gap. My gas guy was no gap. Paid for leak test and appointments (first few after surgery were free).
Back to top Go down
getstuck
Part of the furniture
getstuck

Female

Are you with HBF? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you with HBF?   Are you with HBF? EmptySun 21 Apr 2013, 5:11 am

Hbf was not taken over by bupa

It was another company like hcf
Back to top Go down
Lana1990
Lana1990

Female
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-06-10

Are you with HBF? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you with HBF?   Are you with HBF? EmptyTue 11 Jun 2013, 6:11 am

Im with HBF - Young Singel Saver
Spent 2nights in hospital (The Mount)
I pay just under 40 per fn.

Im 4days post op.

I paid 400 Pre op appointment for GA.
100 excess on admisson tp hospital
50per night for the private room

Im yet to go and claim me rebates but im entitled to about 900 for Dr Cohen, 100 from medicare for GA. Dr cohen is not covered byHBF but i chose him as he has operated on a family member and she is doing very well. More then happy to pay for extra peace of mind.

Back to top Go down
Meow_
Meow_

Female
Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2015-07-06

Are you with HBF? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you with HBF?   Are you with HBF? EmptyMon 06 Jul 2015, 1:30 pm

Aerial wrote:
I have just taken out HBF specifically for gastric sleeve surgery in a years time.  Has anyone had gastric sleeve surgery using Young Singles Saver Hospital Cover?  It costs around $30 fortnight.  I am asking as, when I did my research, this was the cheapest that covered gastric sleeve surgery but it is half the cost of other PHI cover for gastric sleeving.  I have asked 4 people at HBF if they are certain it will cover and I also phoned my proposed surgeon and got the item number and provider number and HBF confirmed it WILL cover gastric sleeve surgery.  I feel confused though.  I don't want to get 8 months down the track, go for my pre appointment only to find out I don't qualify.  They said it doesn't cover heart, plastics or knee joint replacements however it fully covers gastric sleeving - why is there such a big price difference in providers?  Have I missed something?

did you find out as i am with HBF :) xx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Are you with HBF? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you with HBF?   Are you with HBF? Empty

Back to top Go down

Are you with HBF?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Private Health Insurance-
Jump to: