Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Difference Between Band and Sleeve - Vomiting (Sorry folks)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Janey
Sponsor
Janey

Female
Number of posts : 2872
Registration date : 2008-11-22

Difference Between Band and Sleeve - Vomiting (Sorry folks) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Difference Between Band and Sleeve - Vomiting (Sorry folks)   Difference Between Band and Sleeve - Vomiting (Sorry folks) EmptySun 15 Mar 2009, 12:10 pm

Thanks so much everyone for your honest replies.
I know what to expect now and you have helped educate me even more about the sleeve. With all the great advice on this site I should be an "expert" by the time I am done.
Thanks once again,

Janey
Back to top Go down
Bee
Bee

Female
Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Difference Between Band and Sleeve - Vomiting (Sorry folks)   Difference Between Band and Sleeve - Vomiting (Sorry folks) EmptySun 15 Mar 2009, 8:35 am

I threw up constantly with my band, due to band rejection. Everytime I ate bam! But since the sleeve, the only time I have thrown up is when I had morning sickness. It isnt the same as throwing up when you have a band blockage, it is normal throwing up, except I find that I dont have stomach acid, so when I throw up due to sickness, it is just food really. I have been sick twice though with the sleeve from over eating, but now I know my limit and it hasnt happened again.
Back to top Go down
Kaili
Part of the furniture
Kaili

Female
Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Difference Between Band and Sleeve - Vomiting (Sorry folks)   Difference Between Band and Sleeve - Vomiting (Sorry folks) EmptySat 14 Mar 2009, 10:32 pm

I'm six months out from the sleeve and have never been banded.

I hate throwing up as well, and I've only done it once since the surgery. And that was a choice to throw up and I felt so much better for it.

Kaili.
Back to top Go down
Shanna
Sponsor
Shanna

Female
Number of posts : 633
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Difference Between Band and Sleeve - Vomiting (Sorry folks)   Difference Between Band and Sleeve - Vomiting (Sorry folks) EmptySat 14 Mar 2009, 3:33 pm

Six months out from sleeve date - never banded

Almost never vomited before the sleeve... maybe once or twice a year if that. Since the sleeve I could easily upchuck five times a week. Generally if I eat meat, crunchy veggies, spagetti, regular pizza (lean cuisine is OK), celery, or have a beverage after I eat - almost guaranteed to upchuck then. Noticed that anything with a stringy quality or long fibers does not work yet. As for vomiting- as long as I can get to a bathroom or a deserted street corner, it doesn't bother me at all... usually a big relief to get it out of me.

As you can imagine, I try to lean towards egg salad, wheat thins- almost every meal and snack, bread crusts, low fat cheese (but not string mozzarella). I was eating shrimp and tuna salad but that is not working well these days. I also eat lite ice cream, yogurt, skim milk, cottage cheese, lite cream cheese, apple without skin. Planning to add in cucumber but I will admit my diet is pretty repetitive particularly since I am a crunchy not a mushie muncher. Anyway - off to eat my egg salad and wheat thins now.

Still would I do it again... ABSOLUTIVELY.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Difference Between Band and Sleeve - Vomiting (Sorry folks)   Difference Between Band and Sleeve - Vomiting (Sorry folks) EmptySat 14 Mar 2009, 3:28 pm

vomiting is just the same as before the surgery, or it seems that way for most people. If you where somebody who when they over ate threw up you will still do that. I do. If you are somebody who hates throwing up and will hold it and hold it and stop yourself you should be very much the same after the sleeve. The only real exception to this might be if you experence nausea for a bit after the surgery which some people can have. Again it is pretyt much the same as before surgery if you threw up at the drop of a hat before you still will. The only difference I have found if any is you throw up just that small amount of food and I got no dry heaving or stomach wretching feelings. I am one of those that always felt it was far better out than in so could throw up very easily and would do so if I felt nauseous or over full. I just felt better for doing it. I know that there are others tho that will go to any length not to vomit.

Telling you are full to start with is difficult. put the spoon down between bits and stick to 1/4 teaspoon per go to start with. My sure sign I have over done it is my nose runs.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Janey
Sponsor
Janey

Female
Number of posts : 2872
Registration date : 2008-11-22

PostSubject: Difference Between Band and Sleeve - Vomiting (Sorry folks)   Difference Between Band and Sleeve - Vomiting (Sorry folks) EmptySat 14 Mar 2009, 1:42 pm

Hi all,
I just posed this question to Caz who was kind enough to answer via her diary.
I'm now hoping to hear from ex bandsters about the difference re vomiting with the sleeve.
Is it much the same or completely different and what are the warning signs? Caz mentioned saliva building in the mouth and I'm sure I've read this symptom before on here.
I will just about do anything to prevent myself from vomiting with a normal stomach but found upchucking with the band easy peasy though not something I got excited about. Just not really unpleasant physically at all.
How is it with the sleeve? Of course any sleevers input would be gratefully received, ex bandsters or not.

Hugs,
Janey
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Difference Between Band and Sleeve - Vomiting (Sorry folks)   Difference Between Band and Sleeve - Vomiting (Sorry folks) Empty

Back to top Go down

Difference Between Band and Sleeve - Vomiting (Sorry folks)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about You! :: From Band To Sleeve-
Jump to: