JenBen
Part of the furniture
JenBen

Female
Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2012-08-01

What is opti? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is opti?   What is opti? EmptyThu 10 Jan 2013, 5:32 am

Yes and yes. Check out the online chemists and do a comparison. Most will give a discount for bulk orders. Watch out if looking on ebay etc, prices can be inflated cuz opti is a prescription product in some countries (and even more expensive) so there is a lucrative market.
Back to top Go down
Gail221
Gail221

Female
Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2012-05-15

What is opti? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is opti?   What is opti? EmptyThu 10 Jan 2013, 5:31 am

Hi enough is enough,

Yes, you can go online and shop around for the best price. I had to have it for 3 weeks before surgery. Hated it at the time, but well worth it to get the surgey done.

Gail
Back to top Go down
enough is enough
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 497
Registration date : 2012-09-16

What is opti? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is opti?   What is opti? EmptyThu 10 Jan 2013, 5:07 am

Can you buy this in bulk. I doubt my little chemist in Jindabyne stocks it so I am thinking once i am approved I will have to order in bulk.
Does any one shop on line?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
enough is enough
Part of the furniture

Female

What is opti? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is opti?   What is opti? EmptyWed 19 Sep 2012, 5:34 am

Thanks I thought it was something like that but wasnt sure.

Back to top Go down
Liz
Part of the furniture
Liz

Female
Number of posts : 374
Registration date : 2012-06-28

What is opti? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is opti?   What is opti? EmptyWed 19 Sep 2012, 4:41 am

Hi enough is enough

Optifast is a meal replacement program that most surgeons seem to like to put us on in the weeks leading up to the surgery. Its basic aim is to remove fat from the liver. The liver needs to be moved out of the way during surgery to get to the stomach so apparently the smaller it is the better.

Optifast can either be a shake, bar or soup. I had to do the program for 2 weeks before surgery. I used to have a shake for breakfast (chocolate with cold water, rum essence and lots of ice - made it like a frappe), veggie soup for lunch with 1 cup of vegies from a restricted list given by the dietitian and then either another shake or Opti dessert for tea after 1 cup of the vegies again. I was also able to have diet jelly and diet cordial in between the main meals.

You will see lots of comments on the forum about Opti and for most of us it is not great to have but it does the job and really helps the surgeon when doing the op. Another bonus is that most of us lose weight while doing it as well. I dropped 5.6kgs but others have dropped more and others less. I guess it all depends on the individual.

Your doctor or dietitian should tell you if you need to do the Opti program and how long you will need to do it.

I hope this helps.

Liz
Back to top Go down
JenBen
Part of the furniture
JenBen

Female
Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2012-08-01

What is opti? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is opti?   What is opti? EmptyWed 19 Sep 2012, 4:40 am

Opti is short for Optifast. It is a liquid diet program that many have to endure for days/weeks (some even a month +) prior to surgery. It is a very low calory diet (VLCD) that ensures you get all the recommended vitamins and minerals in the least amount of kilojoules/calories. It is also high protein, low carb. Most surgeons who require it do so to shrink your liver prior to surgery. Given it is so low kilojoule/calorie, you tend to lose weight as well. Some some surgeons want weight loss to give a bit more "wiggle room" during surgery. The vast majority do it for liver reasons though.
Back to top Go down
enough is enough
Part of the furniture

Female

What is opti? Empty
PostSubject: What is opti?   What is opti? EmptyWed 19 Sep 2012, 3:37 am

I have read that b4 surgery you take opti.

what is this how often do you have it.

TIA.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What is opti? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is opti?   What is opti? Empty

Back to top Go down

What is opti?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Dietitians, Dieting, Exercising and more :: Diet, Exercise and more :: Dietitions-
Jump to: