11 posters
AuthorMessage
Blackchook
Blackchook

Female
Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2012-04-29

does the sleeve change emotional eating Empty
PostSubject: Re: does the sleeve change emotional eating   does the sleeve change emotional eating EmptyMon 24 Sep 2012, 1:45 pm

I have found it has helped my emotional/boredom eating habits as well.

I am almost 14 weeks out and I have no interest in junk food at all, and I used to be a junkaholic - I loved lollies, cakes, hot chips, pizza and the rest. Now I don't want any of those things.

I no longer have cravings for junk foods and my body now naturally wants the healthy options - I really look forward to fresh foods and protein because of the way I feel after eating it.

I can't believe how my eating habits have changed.
Back to top Go down
lilac
Part of the furniture
lilac

Female
Number of posts : 374
Registration date : 2010-08-02

PostSubject: Re: does the sleeve change emotional eating   does the sleeve change emotional eating EmptySat 22 Sep 2012, 6:59 am

From my perspective the answer is YES. It has changed my emotional eating a lot.

As you lose weight, your insulin resistance goes down which means the 'sugar cravings' also reduce in severity. Most overweight people are insulin resistant (it doesn't mean you have diabetes though). Insulin resistance creates sugar highs and lows which influences cravings.

However although the body changes - I have found that my brain will still cause my hand to reach out to junk food when feeling depressed. The good thing is that the damage is minimal as you just can't eat like you used to do.

The other strange thing I've discovered is this - my taste in food has completely changed. I've not read other people mentioning this so maybe it's just me. I have no interest in McDonalds at all any more (I do like an occasional diet coke) and I was always in the drive-thru before the op. I can easily resist sweet foods -which I could never do before.

But everyone's different so I suppose it's up to the individual to see how they respond.
Back to top Go down
killerbabe82
killerbabe82

Female
Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2011-04-08

PostSubject: Re: does the sleeve change emotional eating   does the sleeve change emotional eating EmptyFri 21 Sep 2012, 10:50 pm

i was a masive chocoate eater before op then after op it changed my crvings, i didnt like chocolate, icecream, maccas and stuff, BUT its just starting to come back, not as bad as it was before but i now can eat a bit of chocolate, i dont want the whole block anymoew but i like a few pieces, but i am worried it will go back to what it was before op i liked that it was gone and so sad that its come back, though i still dont like maccas or iceceam
Back to top Go down
Jessica2008

Female
Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2012-06-29

PostSubject: Re: does the sleeve change emotional eating   does the sleeve change emotional eating EmptyFri 21 Sep 2012, 9:57 pm

im only 8 weeks post op but have not had the emotional attachment to food i used to have i was chocolate crazy especially at that time of the month but i have not had a peice of chocolate scince the preop diet and if i do feel like it i just go nah dont need it and then i forget about it where as before i would just think about it and crave it untill i went to the shops to get some so i hope it stays like this

Jess
Back to top Go down
killerbabe82
killerbabe82

Female
Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2011-04-08

PostSubject: Re: does the sleeve change emotional eating   does the sleeve change emotional eating EmptyFri 21 Sep 2012, 12:22 pm

it did for about 12 months untill something major happened and now i am back to sqaure one and emotion eat:(
Back to top Go down
lililei87

Female
Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2012-06-06

PostSubject: Re: does the sleeve change emotional eating   does the sleeve change emotional eating EmptyWed 19 Sep 2012, 7:00 am

Does it change emotional eating? According to the endocrinologist and surgeon and dietitian and psychologist I saw, nope. You have to be conscientious eater. It's not just about calories, but about food groups.

On the other hand, my Aunty and some people on here have said that after the surgery they felt that element in their life diminish significantly. Perhaps from the shock of surgery itself or the preop and post op diet.

I wouldn't worry about it. Emotional eating is very treatable. And it's okay to eat food as a treat once in a while and enjoy it. The sleeve easily allows that. From what I've read people are satisfied with just a small bite of chocolate.
Back to top Go down
shelly25
Top Poster
Top Poster
shelly25

Female
Number of posts : 1776
Registration date : 2009-11-21

PostSubject: Re: does the sleeve change emotional eating   does the sleeve change emotional eating EmptyWed 19 Sep 2012, 5:42 am

enough is enough wrote:
Thanks what has been said makes senses. I want to change but am worried that I wont kwim.
I have lost weight in the past but never reached goal.
I guess knowing I can have the 1-2 peices helps as well. I know it sounds strange I want to loose and I want to change my eating but I also want the odd small treat as well.

I still have a long way to go. b4 I am mentally ready to make an appt but being on here now helps greatly.

thanks

That the thing with the sleeve you can have it all! Just in smaller portions!! i would also suggest some extra support like councilling and a dietition to support you on your journey

shelly

does the sleeve change emotional eating 217555 does the sleeve change emotional eating 217555
Back to top Go down
enough is enough
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 497
Registration date : 2012-09-16

PostSubject: Re: does the sleeve change emotional eating   does the sleeve change emotional eating EmptyWed 19 Sep 2012, 5:25 am

Thanks what has been said makes senses. I want to change but am worried that I wont kwim.
I have lost weight in the past but never reached goal.
I guess knowing I can have the 1-2 peices helps as well. I know it sounds strange I want to loose and I want to change my eating but I also want the odd small treat as well.

I still have a long way to go. b4 I am mentally ready to make an appt but being on here now helps greatly.

thanks
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: does the sleeve change emotional eating   does the sleeve change emotional eating EmptyWed 19 Sep 2012, 5:20 am

In my opinion it doesn't stop you being a *** eater (insert here emotional/boredom/stress/etc etc).

What it does do is limit the damage you can do to yourself. Where once you might have eaten a packet of something, you might have 1 or 2, where you would have had a whole family sized block of chocolate, now you might have 1-2 squares.

But on the whole, if you consistently make rotten food choices, you WILL suffer the consequences. I'm sure everyone would agree with that.

Back to top Go down
sassyred
Part of the furniture
sassyred

Female
Number of posts : 657
Registration date : 2011-09-01

PostSubject: Re: does the sleeve change emotional eating   does the sleeve change emotional eating EmptyWed 19 Sep 2012, 4:19 am

Hi enough is enough

I am an emotional eater and I would agree with what Shelly and Gail have said. The sleeve is an awesome tool but it won't work so well with bad choices. It varies between us all, but I have found that I am so much more easily satisfied, I really don't want to eat any more when I am full so I don't feel that I am missing out. I know that others wish they could eat more when the emo eating hits though. Also many of the bad choices - takeaway foods etc - can be hard to stomach so you might find that the sleeve stops you from eating those food anyway. I ate popcorn chicken from KFC once post sleeve and I reacted so badly I will never ever try it again! Any fried foods I struggle with - missing them is no great hardship though!

Good luck with your journey.
Back to top Go down
MissMelly
Part of the furniture
MissMelly

Female
Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 2012-02-12

PostSubject: Re: does the sleeve change emotional eating   does the sleeve change emotional eating EmptyTue 18 Sep 2012, 11:07 pm

Hi enough is enough welcome!

I am not an emotional eater but I am a boredom eater, and will eat not because I'm hungry but because I am bored. I find if I am in the car I tend to chew on gum as I just seem to want something in my mouth.

Good luck with your journey.
Melissa
Back to top Go down
shelly25
Top Poster
Top Poster
shelly25

Female
Number of posts : 1776
Registration date : 2009-11-21

PostSubject: Re: does the sleeve change emotional eating   does the sleeve change emotional eating EmptyTue 18 Sep 2012, 1:05 pm

I am also an emotional eater and eat when bored.As said below the sleeve does noy FIX/CURE these aspects. I still have ups and downs with eating and will always be this way.The sleeve keeps me in control now!

With travelling y Id say you will have to conciously make the desicion to pack protien drinks/bars, fruits etc- healthy option instead of junk.Otherwise initially you will loose weight but eventually it would be likely youll gain weight from eating junky snacks.You may even find your not hungey and qont need to snack in the car

So basically you have to choose to eat right(most of the time-we are human after all!!).People can regain weight-ive not heard of anyone regaining all the weight back but definately regaining a few kilos or more back.I know Sue regained aroung 20kgs.

I dont want to put you off but you must be realistic that you will have to make changes with food choices or the sleeve will not work to the best it can if you still eat junk daily.

Start practicing now and pack healthy stuff when you travel-with the sleeve you wont eat much so make what you eat the best nutrition you can give your body-especially preop and early post op as you need heaps of protien and maybe choose one day when you have a treat

goodluck and the sleeve will work-ow well will be up to you

shelly

shelly
Back to top Go down
enough is enough
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: does the sleeve change emotional eating   does the sleeve change emotional eating EmptyTue 18 Sep 2012, 11:04 am

Thanks Gail,

I am not a coffee person but I could find a alternative drink.
great tip.
Back to top Go down
enough is enough
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: does the sleeve change emotional eating   does the sleeve change emotional eating EmptyTue 18 Sep 2012, 11:03 am

Thanks Gail,

I am not a coffee person but I could find a alternative drink.
great tip.
Back to top Go down
Gail221
Gail221

Female
Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2012-05-15

PostSubject: Re: does the sleeve change emotional eating   does the sleeve change emotional eating EmptyTue 18 Sep 2012, 9:58 am

Hi Enough is enough, welcome!
The sleeve will not cure emotional eating, but it will limit the amount that you will e able to fit in.
Having said that, it is merely a tool to assist you in your weight loss. If you choose to eat the unhealthy options while sleeved, I imagine that you could still struggle to lose, after a while.

There are a lot of us on this forum who were/are emotional eaters. We will all slip up at times, but hopefully not all the time. I've only been sleeved for a little over a month, but am very glad that I have done it.

Like you, I also drive an hour to work each day, instead of snacking, now I have a large coffee which I sip on the way, and on my return trip I sip on an iced tea. Works for me!

All the best with your decision, only you know if this is the right option for you.
Gail
Back to top Go down
enough is enough
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: does the sleeve change emotional eating   does the sleeve change emotional eating EmptyTue 18 Sep 2012, 9:04 am

hi
I know my biggest issue is emotional and habitial eating. Will having the sleeve help change this?

eg I work an hours drive from home in the country so I often stop for a snack. I know I dont need the snack I know I can pack healthy snacks from home but I am lazy and choose junk.
I am concerned that having the sleeve wont change my habits.
I have lost weight in past but always gained.
How do I make this the last haurrah!
thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: does the sleeve change emotional eating   does the sleeve change emotional eating Empty

Back to top Go down

does the sleeve change emotional eating
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: