Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Will the process of eating feel 'normal' once I recover from surgery?

Go down 
+6
CherryRipe
100%-er
Janette
Gretchen
Strawberrychick
HappierAndHealthier
10 posters
AuthorMessage
HappierAndHealthier
HappierAndHealthier

Female
Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2012-05-27

Will the process of eating feel 'normal' once I recover from surgery? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will the process of eating feel 'normal' once I recover from surgery?   Will the process of eating feel 'normal' once I recover from surgery? EmptyWed 27 Jun 2012, 11:33 am

Thanks for everyone's replies :)

I'm 2 weeks post op now and I've found that the noises/feelings of eating depends entirely on what I'm eating. Some things go down no problem - no noise, no gurgling, hiccuping sensations. Then other things don't go down well and my stomach lets me know all about it.

I'm guessing some of that will go away as I am still really early on (thanks for all of you who advise patience - I need it!) but by the sounds of it some of you who are months/years post op still have problems with some types of food as well, which just don't go down as smoothly.

Thanks for the tips, it's helpful and interesting.

Tina :)
Back to top Go down
Bellshell
Part of the furniture
Bellshell

Female
Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2010-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Will the process of eating feel 'normal' once I recover from surgery?   Will the process of eating feel 'normal' once I recover from surgery? EmptyMon 25 Jun 2012, 12:18 pm

I am 11 months out. I can eat anything just smaller portions. I have gone off a lot of sweet stuff. I have not tried to get used to them again.

Personally I did not experience any reflux. I was sent home from hospital will reflux medication. After being home for 4 days I realised I had not been taking my medication so I took it, my tummy made so much noise. I did not take it again, now I get some small gurgling when I eat. First sign for me is the noise then as I slowly eat I do a small burp then I know one more mouthfull and I am done.
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Will the process of eating feel 'normal' once I recover from surgery?   Will the process of eating feel 'normal' once I recover from surgery? EmptyMon 25 Jun 2012, 2:06 am

I am more than 3 years out and I would say that eating feels normal nows. I can eat anything I want, just less of it. And while I regret that sometimes when things taste yummy, I don't ever want to go back to what I was, so am actually very glad as well (quite conflicting feelings).

When I go out, my husband and I often share a dish, or if there isn't anything we both want, I will just order a meal and leave what I don't want.

I still try and eat protein first. I limit my junk food intake (I do let myself have a little packet of smarties every now and then), and my only really naughty thing is a bottle of Diet Coke each day - which I can drink just the way I used to. I don't drink a lot of alcohol, but I never really did.

The only thing that isn't normal any more is my size - and while I've gained probably 2 kgs from my lowest weight, everyone thinks it makes me look better, not worse. I still fit into small size everything, or size 8 things (just bought some size 8 Esprit jeans for example).

What a life change this sleeve has given me.
Back to top Go down
Kazz
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 479
Registration date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Will the process of eating feel 'normal' once I recover from surgery?   Will the process of eating feel 'normal' once I recover from surgery? EmptySun 24 Jun 2012, 1:04 pm

I was sleeved last October, and my eating is back to normal, except in much smaller quantities of course ;) Can gulp down water about 4 mouthfuls at a time, have a 20 sec break, gulp again, so drinking not an issue anymore. I do find that carbs make me gassy and I burp heaps. So I try to minimise carbs, and stick to a high protein/dairy/vege diet that I can eat with no problems at all. It really is just a matter of being more aware of your eating - no more mindless eating!

Youre in the early days of recovery. Give it time. I think from about 3 months out, was when I found I could start reintroducing most things back into my diet with no issues.
Back to top Go down
Kateh (Bluedog)
Part of the furniture
Kateh (Bluedog)

Female
Number of posts : 1159
Registration date : 2011-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Will the process of eating feel 'normal' once I recover from surgery?   Will the process of eating feel 'normal' once I recover from surgery? EmptySun 24 Jun 2012, 10:12 am

Hi H&H, depends what you mean by "NORMAL:!!

I am nearly 9 months out & dont really think I am eating normal. I eat really small as you can imagine & the one time I try & eat on the run or in a hurry or forget to chew my tummy reminds me it is not normal. Bam I salivate & feel like I want to throw up, sometimes even drinking too fast, its actually a really good reminder that I dont think I will ever eat "normal" again! Maybe it will change but I really dont know as every one is so different.
But I am not at all put out by this, its a good wake up call to not to return to old habits which got me so overweight in the first place. Good luck hope the journey gets easier for you.
K
Back to top Go down
HappierAndHealthier
HappierAndHealthier

Female

PostSubject: Re: Will the process of eating feel 'normal' once I recover from surgery?   Will the process of eating feel 'normal' once I recover from surgery? EmptySun 24 Jun 2012, 4:20 am

Thanks for your replies everyone...especially those who describe the feeling of eating, which is what I'm most concerned about returning to normal! Good to know there's light at the end of the tunnel...
Back to top Go down
CherryRipe
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 492
Registration date : 2012-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Will the process of eating feel 'normal' once I recover from surgery?   Will the process of eating feel 'normal' once I recover from surgery? EmptySun 24 Jun 2012, 12:40 am

I'm three months out and can eat virtually anything. I haven't eaten bread or steak yet as that may cause issues - I've been told to wait 12 months. Otherwise I try to eat normally but in small amounts. My meals are about entree size. I LOVE my sleeve.
Back to top Go down
100%-er
Top Poster
Top Poster
100%-er

Female
Number of posts : 1217
Registration date : 2011-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Will the process of eating feel 'normal' once I recover from surgery?   Will the process of eating feel 'normal' once I recover from surgery? EmptySat 23 Jun 2012, 11:41 pm

I am well over the 12 month mark, and yes your eating does return to relatively normal... noises wise that is. I can eat any and everything, although rice, pasta etc only in very small amounts.

I eat only a small amount and about five minutes later I will hiccup a couple of times. That is my sign that I am full and shouldn't eat any more, even if tempted.

It is early days for you, just take your time, don't rush your recovery, it will happen.

Good luck
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Will the process of eating feel 'normal' once I recover from surgery?   Will the process of eating feel 'normal' once I recover from surgery? EmptySat 23 Jun 2012, 9:55 pm

Yes of course you will beable to eat normally again.

I can't quite remember how long it took me, as I am now in my third year.

I can eat and drink anything. There are things I choose not to eat and don't want them anymore, ie fried foods, anything in pastry or batter, soft drinks, takeaway food, etc. I do eat rice and pasta if, but only a very small amount, like about a tablespoon with my meal. Thats also my choice, so I can get my protein in. I eat a slice of bread everyday, no probs. But I can't eat white bread, it tastes yuck now, I eat a dense grain bread, like Burgen Soy-Lin, it has 6.5 gms protein per slice so a really good bread.

When I dine out, I can finish my small meal at the same time as everyone else. I still chew my food really well.

It all takes time, and the first year is a real learning curve.

Everything is now second nature to me, and usually don't even have to think twice about what I am eating. It becomes quality not quantity.

Wishing you all the best.

Will the process of eating feel 'normal' once I recover from surgery? 217555
Back to top Go down
Gretchen
Part of the furniture
Gretchen

Female
Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2011-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Will the process of eating feel 'normal' once I recover from surgery?   Will the process of eating feel 'normal' once I recover from surgery? EmptySat 23 Jun 2012, 3:04 pm

I was sleeved December first last year and had the same problem for a while but I think around the 2-3month mark it stopped =] some times I'll have it again but that's generally only when I eat potato haha
Best of luck with your journey!!
Gretchen.
Back to top Go down
Strawberrychick
Top Poster
Top Poster
Strawberrychick

Female
Number of posts : 1211
Registration date : 2012-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Will the process of eating feel 'normal' once I recover from surgery?   Will the process of eating feel 'normal' once I recover from surgery? EmptySat 23 Jun 2012, 12:33 pm

Well, I'm only about 2.5 months post-op but yes, it's pretty normal. I tend to steer clear of bread/pasta/rice now (the things I absolutely LOVED previously!) because firstly they feel very heavy in my stomach - they sit there like a brick - and secondly because I focus more on eating protein plus fruit or veg if I have any space left. Some things have changed, such as I probably try consciously to chew more than I did before because it helps if food is well chewed, and I can't eat as fast as I used to - if I do I feel full extremely quickly, after a few bites. None of those are bad things though, and yes it's pretty normal and has been for a while. You're still in very early days hon, give yourself time to heal. It will all come good x
Back to top Go down
HappierAndHealthier
HappierAndHealthier

Female

PostSubject: Will the process of eating feel 'normal' once I recover from surgery?   Will the process of eating feel 'normal' once I recover from surgery? EmptySat 23 Jun 2012, 12:05 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm 9 days post-op and I'm freaking out a little here. Everytime I eat I burp and gurgle and have a sensation of some of the food coming back up my throat into my mouth (at least a gross lingering aftertaste) with every meal. This is not due to overeating, or eating to quickly, as it happens no matter what I eat or how much/fast I eat.

I am REALLY hoping this is because my tummy is still swollen from the surgery, and this will go overtime?

Can some of you long term sleevers please tell me if you can eat normally now (obviously just smaller quantities) but does food go down just as easily as before you were sleeved?

Also it would be great to know how long it takes for things to settle down (I'm assuming that they do! Because nobody said I would be eating like a 1 year old baby for the rest of my life!)

Cheers
Tina
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will the process of eating feel 'normal' once I recover from surgery?   Will the process of eating feel 'normal' once I recover from surgery? Empty

Back to top Go down

Will the process of eating feel 'normal' once I recover from surgery?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: