~Trishah~
Top Poster
Top Poster
~Trishah~

Female
Number of posts : 1954
Registration date : 2012-04-15

When To Join The Gym? Empty
PostSubject: Re: When To Join The Gym?   When To Join The Gym? EmptyFri 15 Jun 2012, 1:12 am

I joined whe I couldnt avoid it anymore and the excuses were starting to recycle.... brrrrrrrr
Back to top Go down
NoLongerA"Wanttobe"
NoLongerA

Female
Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2011-08-17

PostSubject: Re: When To Join The Gym?   When To Join The Gym? EmptyFri 15 Jun 2012, 12:47 am

That's an awful lot to be doing at 2 weeks out. Please check with the gym about what they suggest for exercise, too.

I went back to a very physically active job as a cook 8 days post-surgery, and it really knocked me around for the first couple of weeks. I did start VERY gentle walking a week post-op. I was told no strenuous exercise for 6 weeks, although between my job as cook and another warehouse-type job, I was doing a lot before the 6 weeks. I was probably back to full strength a month out (but still sore with internal stitches for 6 weeks).

I've only just joined a gym two weeks ago. Prior to that, all exercise was work-related - everything from walking kids to school, to lifting boxes at work. My muscle tone is (if I do say so myself) awesome ;)

I can't imagine how you'd manage 30 minutes of heavy weight training this early in the piece. I'm now training to become an amateur competitive athlete, and even now the most I can manage in a weights session is about 20 minutes ! Cardio I keep to about an hour.

All the best with the regime. I guess if it works for you, go for it, but please remember that muscle mass can always be built further down the track. The most important thing is to get your health back on track (which would mean keeping your cardio exercise up).
Back to top Go down
Kate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Kate

Female
Number of posts : 2162
Registration date : 2011-06-23

PostSubject: Re: When To Join The Gym?   When To Join The Gym? EmptyThu 14 Jun 2012, 11:38 pm

I have to agree with J. This sounds like craziness. Two weeks out from any major surgery whether it's weight loss surgery or not is just insane. I was told walking was fine and no sport of any kind for 6 weeks. I went back to tennis at 6 weeks and started cardio training at 9 weeks. I know I'm not a surgeon or medical professional of any kind but you have to give your body time to recover not only from the surgery but from the anesthetic.
Back to top Go down
Belle91

Female
Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2012-01-16

PostSubject: Re: When To Join The Gym?   When To Join The Gym? EmptyThu 14 Jun 2012, 2:15 pm

There's no way jn the world I could have been at the gym two weeks out. I'm nearly two months post op and am just looking into a gym. I was so cautious not to strain my belly at all as it can take a couple of months to heal properly.

I guess every surgeon is different but I wouldn't start so early.
Back to top Go down
Smurfette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Smurfette

Female
Number of posts : 1272
Registration date : 2010-08-15

PostSubject: Re: When To Join The Gym?   When To Join The Gym? EmptySun 10 Jun 2012, 4:57 am

The reason so early on Nic is as you say to stop loosing muscle mass; which assists in weight loss.
Back to top Go down
Smurfette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Smurfette

Female
Number of posts : 1272
Registration date : 2010-08-15

PostSubject: Re: When To Join The Gym?   When To Join The Gym? EmptySun 10 Jun 2012, 4:55 am

Yes same doctor and I started two weeks out; three times a week and nearly an hour each session. (easy at first) Though I am sure he said weight bearing gym exercises; not heavy weights. Though this is what he wants me to do know. Ask Laura she will give you the correct information and she will respond to an e-mail. In fact Penny will check for you and respond via e-mail also. Take care.
Back to top Go down
nic210780
nic210780

Female
Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2012-04-30

PostSubject: Re: When To Join The Gym?   When To Join The Gym? EmptySun 10 Jun 2012, 12:40 am

J wrote:
2 weeks post op and your surgeon wants you to start doing heavy weights..

He's insane sorry but that's just madness.

I guess its up to the individual - I'm coping really well & feel fine about exercising - if I feel any pain obviously I have the common sense to stop. It makes sense to be building muscle rather than loosing more muscle due to rapid loss.
Back to top Go down
J
Part of the furniture
J

Male
Number of posts : 761
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: When To Join The Gym?   When To Join The Gym? EmptySat 09 Jun 2012, 5:52 am

2 weeks post op and your surgeon wants you to start doing heavy weights..

He's insane sorry but that's just madness.
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

PostSubject: Re: When To Join The Gym?   When To Join The Gym? EmptySat 09 Jun 2012, 5:15 am

listen to your body, dont over-do it and have fun.
Back to top Go down
margd
Top Poster
Top Poster
margd

Female
Number of posts : 2628
Registration date : 2011-09-09

PostSubject: Re: When To Join The Gym?   When To Join The Gym? EmptySat 09 Jun 2012, 3:31 am

I was told to wait 6 weeks for going to gym,but for just walking,i would say when you feel up to it,just dont over do it.
Back to top Go down
nic210780
nic210780

Female
Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2012-04-30

PostSubject: Re: When To Join The Gym?   When To Join The Gym? EmptySat 09 Jun 2012, 12:12 am

Hello, I'm only 11 days Post-op but had my post op consultation with my surgeon Dr Jon Armstrong Yesterday & he insists on me getting to the gym for heavy lifting weight training.

He said to only do 20mins cardio & to do 30mins weights every day. It prevents baggy skin, and because we loose weight so fast having stronger muscles prevents the body from loosing muscle rather than fat - so get weight training - just listen to your body. He wants me to start this week which is 2 weeks post-op.

Nic
Back to top Go down
Bellshell
Part of the furniture
Bellshell

Female
Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2010-05-28

PostSubject: Re: When To Join The Gym?   When To Join The Gym? EmptyFri 08 Jun 2012, 12:28 pm

I would ask your surgeon when would the best time to start exercising. Compaired to others I have been late with starting exercise. I have been kickboxing once a week for about 3 months and today I did my first (in years) spin class.

I do like exercise, but time is my issue. The thing I promised myself this time with losing weight is I am changing my lifestyle. So I am doing a heap of exercise I can not keep up as then I will pile the weight back on. As that is what happened to me some years ago.
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
J
Part of the furniture
J

Male

PostSubject: Re: When To Join The Gym?   When To Join The Gym? EmptyThu 07 Jun 2012, 2:56 am

Give yourself a week or 2 to build into it.. going from 0-10 isn't going to help your recovery or progress by any means.

Also have you checked the rules re: joining the force after having a surgery like this ? I know the Army has pretty strict rules about it re: waiting times after having it done before applying etc.

Back to top Go down
J
Part of the furniture
J

Male

PostSubject: Re: When To Join The Gym?   When To Join The Gym? EmptyWed 06 Jun 2012, 11:58 pm

I didn't join a gym until about 3 months out..

As for what to concentrate on, they'll get a trainer to set you up with your own plan. I started out very basic, 4-5 exercises that was a all round body workout that I'd do 3 times a week.

Since then I've changed program 2-3 times and am now doing a 3 day split routine which works different areas of the body on the different days.

Take on board though that whatever exercise you do early on (at the gym) will only benefit you.. Don't push yourself to hard either.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When To Join The Gym?   When To Join The Gym? Empty

Back to top Go down

When To Join The Gym?
Page 1 of 1