AuthorMessage
glenmaree
Part of the furniture
glenmaree

Female
Number of posts : 745
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Going from band to bypass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going from band to bypass   Going from band to bypass EmptyWed 30 Oct 2013, 9:08 am

Hi Shelly

I can't help with the surgeon in Melbourne as I am in Qld but if you check this forum there is a thread on surgeons which may be useful.  This forum is mainly sleevers so your post may not get an answer so if you have no  response post your question again in the general chat and I  am sure you will get a result.

Good luck
G
Back to top Go down
shelleytas

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Going from band to bypass   Going from band to bypass EmptyWed 30 Oct 2013, 8:52 am

kazbo wrote:
thanks for your reply glenmarree! I see my Canberra surgeon next week and I have an appointment with a third surgeon in October...I'm thinking I might make appointments with other surgeons in Sydney to get a 4th, 5th and 6th opinion! better to invest the money now seeking opinions than make a decision to regret later.
Hi I am new to this site and waiting to find out if I can get bypass done as lapbanding 3 yrs ago has not worked for me. Does anyone know of a reputable surgeon in Melbourne and how has everyone gone post op? what did it cost you if you havent got health insurance as I will be self funding mine. Going from band to bypass 369315 Going from band to bypass 697586
Back to top Go down
kazbo

Female
Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2012-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Going from band to bypass   Going from band to bypass EmptyFri 30 Aug 2013, 1:39 am

thanks for your reply glenmarree! I see my Canberra surgeon next week and I have an appointment with a third surgeon in October...I'm thinking I might make appointments with other surgeons in Sydney to get a 4th, 5th and 6th opinion! better to invest the money now seeking opinions than make a decision to regret later.
Back to top Go down
glenmaree
Part of the furniture
glenmaree

Female

PostSubject: Re: Going from band to bypass   Going from band to bypass EmptyThu 29 Aug 2013, 11:44 pm

Hi kazoo

I didn't have a band but had had stomach surgery many years ago.  I went for a sleeve in sept 2011 and had lots of complications, most likely direct cause was the history of previous surgery and an incompetent doctor.  It's all in my diary if you want to know the detail.  12 months later I had to be bypassed because of chronic reflux and limited capacity to tolerate any food texture above mince or mash consistency.  The surgeon (different guy) who did the bypass told me that he would never have considered as sleeve, let alone do it laparoscopically and he would have gone bypass the first time because of the risk of complications caused by scarring and adhesions.

I no longer have reflux, but can't tolerate clear fluid, unless my stomach is completely empty, I get instant nausea which passes just as quickly but it has the effect of making hesitate on clear fluids.

I do know from the forum and another that I am a member of, that some surgeons are refusing to sleeve following a band and want to go bypass.  If I had my time over I would have skipped the sleeve bit and gone with the bypass from the outset. Bypass is reversible in most cases, a sleeve is not.  Ex-bandits report a slower weight loss with the sleeve than do those with "virgin" stomachs. Whatever you decide to do, make sure you have done lots of research, including a second opinion if need be. 

Hopefully someone will respond to you who can answer the question from their experience.  There are not many active bypassers on this forum.  If you need more info please send me a pm.  I can arrange to add you to the Facebook bypass support group where I know there are several members who will be able to answer you question. The group is closed so doesn't appear on your timeline.

Good luck
G
Back to top Go down
kazbo

Female
Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2012-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Going from band to bypass   Going from band to bypass EmptyThu 29 Aug 2013, 12:06 pm

I'm hoping to get a reply, I see this thread has been quiet a long time.

Long story short - banded in August 2010, want it out. Saw a surgeon today in Sydney about a band to sleeve revision.

he said that due to scarring from the band, better results are seen with a band to bypass and the risk of reflux problems occurring are minimised (as opposed to a sleeve). He said that if he does a sleeve and I end up with bad reflux, then the next step is a bypass.

Which has made me think...should I just skip the sleeve and go straight to the bypass? I don't want to have MORE surgery after this.

Has anyone on here gone from band to sleeve to bypass?
Back to top Go down
glenmaree
Part of the furniture
glenmaree

Female

PostSubject: Re: Going from band to bypass   Going from band to bypass EmptyMon 25 Mar 2013, 9:25 pm

Your. Welcome

G
Back to top Go down
mariejayeff

Female
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2013-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Going from band to bypass   Going from band to bypass EmptyMon 25 Mar 2013, 12:46 pm

Thanks to both of you for your honesty. These are valid points and definitely things that are on my priority list when it comes to the questions I have for my potential surgeon.

I have been recommended to a surgeon who has performed the bypass surgery on two people I know personally. So great feedback there and also great feedback on this board for that particular doctor. Have yet to meet with him for the first time though, so will obviously make up my own mind and do more research, too.

Pregnancy isn't something on the cards for me any time soon, not within the next couple of years at least. It is however something apart of my life plan in general, so yes, I'm definitely in need of solid information, good, bad and ugly. After going through the band already, I certainly don't need anything sugar coated or skimmed over this time around. It is definitely important to me to know exactly what I'm getting myself into all over again.

Thanks again for the input, I still have some weeks to go before my appt with surgeon, so will continue to spend my nights skimming this forum and the internet and reading, reading, reading.

Back to top Go down
Garfield99
Part of the furniture
Garfield99

Female
Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2012-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Going from band to bypass   Going from band to bypass EmptySun 24 Mar 2013, 10:07 am

elizbarron wrote:
if faster weight loss is what you're after, then bypass would be the surgery to have. Have also read that with either sugeries, if you've had a band previously, there will most likely be a slower rate of weight loss compared to if no band to begin with- especially with the sleeve..

Hi Eliz, but I am going to disagree with you on this.

I have no idea where people get this false information that people lose more weight and more rapidly with the bypass compared to the sleeve but it's simply not true. It's a tool and how you use the tool will depend on how you lose the weight, plus many other factors including how your body responds.

My girlfriend had the sleeve and I had the sleeve- then bypass by emergency around the same time. She has lost more weight then me. We both had the band previously. She can tolerate lactose, I can't. What we eat is pretty much on par. She has continued to lose weight steadily, mine has plateued and in fact I have gained weight in the last 3 months.

The only difference is she recovered quicker from the surgery, doesn't need to take vitamins every day and doesn't suffer from fatigue/diarehea as much as I do, yet she dumps more often. She also gets fuller then me when eating.

I wouldn't be agreeing to a surgery due to one particular surgeons personal point of view regarding weightloss - all factors need to be considered and malabsorption is a major issue. I would also be concerned if you were contemplating pregnancy any time soon because I had my bypass in September and six month later, no way near healthy nor recovered enough to be carrying a child any time soon.
Back to top Go down
glenmaree
Part of the furniture
glenmaree

Female

PostSubject: Re: Going from band to bypass   Going from band to bypass EmptySun 24 Mar 2013, 7:12 am

Hi

I am a failed sleeve to bypass. Malabsorption, dumping syndrome, constipation or diarrhoea depending on your body, the risk of becoming lactose or wheat intolerant and vitamin deficiency which in my case causes also causes mouth ulcers are all side effects of bypass surgery and you need to ask questions about all of this with your Doctor. Then add the overlay of pregnancy you need to know how it will all work. If you have a lot scarring from the band you may end up with open surgery so you need to ask about this as well. This is not a decision to be made lightly or quickly, you need to be fully informed. Ask lots of questions, read as much as you can, get recommendations regarding you surgeon and hospital, find a good dietitian and discuss life with a bypass and most importantly see a psychologist because if nothing changes in your head regarding your relationship with food no weight loss surgery will be successful. Going with alcohol is no big deal!!!

Good luck
G
Back to top Go down
mariejayeff

Female

PostSubject: Re: Going from band to bypass   Going from band to bypass EmptyFri 22 Mar 2013, 6:05 am

Hi Elizabeth - It sounds like bypass is probably the best option for me. I'm 25 so I'm hoping that the problem of sagging skin will be one I can control with a trainer and/or exercise regime. I'm definitely more determined this time, I feel that I'd be going into this procedure with a much more mature mindset than I did with the lapband a few years back.

The malnutrition thing is something I've read about, and it sounds like a concern. I suppose with eating such small quantities you would have to be quite selective on what you're eating so you're getting all the nutrients and things that you need in small serves. I'm also at a concern with pregnancy. I have not yet had any children and certainly would like to one day.. so that is definitely a top list question I have for Dr Game.

Fortunately I'm not a big drinker myself, so I'm hoping that won't be too difficult. Though I do like a glass of wine here or there....

I'm also hoping I'll be able to have my surgery laproscopically, it sounds much less invasive. Like I said I have significant trauma from the first time around and having that hole in my stomach. So I feel for poor Chocchook, that is so horrible. I'm crossing my fingers on a two-in-one procedure, but we will see. I suppose health and little risk as possible is most important here.

Btgirl - Thank you for that, I will defintely keep an eye on your thread. Appreciate your effort!
Back to top Go down
btgirl
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 874
Registration date : 2012-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Going from band to bypass   Going from band to bypass EmptyThu 21 Mar 2013, 11:56 pm

Marie, I have put up a post asking people if they have gone from band to sleeve/ bypass in one go and if they are in Adelaide and who their surgeon was.
Hope it helps
Btgirl
Back to top Go down
elizbarron

Female
Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2012-10-17

PostSubject: Re: Going from band to bypass   Going from band to bypass EmptyThu 21 Mar 2013, 11:43 pm

Hi- well, I'm certainly no expert, but have done EXTENSIVE research on information. (just quietly, have become obsessed)- but if faster weight loss is what you're after, then bypass would be the surgery to have. I was actually a bit concerned about losing too quickly, because I don't have good skin elasticity, and I was concerned about more chance of saggy skin with rapid weightloss compared to slow. Have also read that with either sugeries, if you've had a band previously, there will most likely be a slower rate of weight loss compared to if no band to begin with- especially with the sleeve. The thing I was concerned about with the bypass is the malabsorption of vitamins and nutrients that can be more of a problem with bypass than sleeve, because I have poor bone density for my age, and that will be something that will have to be carefully monitored after surgery- more so, than if I had a sleeve. And, as you've probably gathered, I like my wine, and it is really best to avoid alcohol completely after a bypass, compared to a sleeve, because it gets absorbed 4 times more quickly than a sleeve, and there is a lot of problems with people with alcoholism issues with transferring addictions after having a bypass- so that would be a big adjustment for me- although probably good thing for me to do, for a lot of reasons, least being that I'm pretty sure has caused my poor bone density and been a huge contribution to my obesity. My surgeon said that he doesn't have statistics, but he has observed better weight loss success and less regain with his bypass patients compared to sleeve.

I know that Chocchook has a hole in her stomach after having a bypass with open surgery, and has to go to hospital daily to have the wound dressed, so don't know how common that is. My surgeon does surgery laproscopically,(if that is a proper word), so don't know if there would be less chance of it happening with that? I guess it would be up to your surgeon as to whether both surgeries would be done in one go. I have seen a couple of people that have that done on this forum, and others where the doctor prefers to do in 2 separate surgeries so that the stomach can heal after having the band removed, and because of scar tissue on the stomach from the band. Guess these are questions that your surgeon will give you better answers to

Thanks Elizabeth
Back to top Go down
btgirl
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 874
Registration date : 2012-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Going from band to bypass   Going from band to bypass EmptyThu 21 Mar 2013, 11:41 pm

Hi, some people have had band removed and sleeve done at the same time, you may have to travel to find a surgeon that will do it all in one go. I have to wait between 4-6 months before I can be sleeved with my surgeon.
I will have a quick look to see who has had it done and who their surgeon was.
Btgirl
Back to top Go down
mariejayeff

Female

PostSubject: Re: Going from band to bypass   Going from band to bypass EmptyThu 21 Mar 2013, 10:59 pm

Hi elizbarron! Thank you for your response.

I have heard many stories like yours, with complications and bad experience with the lap band. To be honest it bothers me sometimes and I have had a couple emergency saline removals from blockage..but more than anything I just haven't lost the weight I wanted. And some people might consider it a bad mentality but by now I'm not prepared to spend 3 years of clean eating and exercise to get to my goal. I want to eat clean and exercise but I want a quicker weight loss. I've tried So much and have been like this my entire life so far. I'm ready for rapid.

So in saying that what is the difference between sleeve and bypass? I hadn't considered it yet no, only because I have a couple friends who had bypass and their results are outstanding.

I would love to hear from th other users too. I had complication with my wound through lap band surgery. I had a hole in my stomach, infection, it was horrific. So I too am scared at the thought of anything like this or worse happening again, if I go revised.

Do you also know if go surgery can be done in one go? As in, removal and bypass in the one sitting of anesthesia? The thought of going under twice within close proximity of time makes me a bit nervous too.

Thanks again for your response, I really appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
elizbarron

Female
Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2012-10-17

PostSubject: Re: Going from band to bypass   Going from band to bypass EmptyThu 21 Mar 2013, 12:39 pm

Hi mariejayeff -I had a lapband put in in 2007-then out in 2009. I had very little success with it and really disliked it. I have been finding it hard to decide between getting the sleeve or bypass surgery- am booked in to get the bypass done on the 22nd May. I'm going to see the psychologist at the surgery next month to discuss it further. I would like to hear from a few more people on this thread as well, to hear how they're going with their lives with a bypass. I have spoken to glenmaree and tigga, and would like to know how Chocchook is going as well, especially after her complications with the wound on her stomach. I have put on 18kgs since I had my band removed in Dec 2009- wow- worse when I actually type it. I keep having anxiety attacks about the thought of having gastric bypass surgery, and am having trouble with idea of not drinking alcohol anymore- at all- my surgeon says

:( . I'm so jealous of people that don't like to drink anyway. As much as I would love to lose weight, I think I have forgotten about what a great feeling it is to be slim, and am putting up a resistance to change my bad habits that have helped to get me to this state I'm in. I realised this after reading "Skinny Jeans at Last"- really recommend this book. Let me know how your appointment goes. Have you considered a sleeve at all, or just the bypass?

Elizabeth
Back to top Go down
mariejayeff

Female

PostSubject: Re: Going from band to bypass   Going from band to bypass EmptyThu 21 Mar 2013, 4:34 am

Hi everyone..

I can see there hasn't been a reply for some months now, but in the off chance here I am. Very new and a bit unsure.

I underwent lapband surgery in 2010, done by Dr Chisholm. I was left with the most awful scar on my stomach at the largest incision. It got infected, not much done but a "Sorry, it happens sometimes." Needless to say I'd have never worn a bikini even if I ended up at 60kgs.

But anyway, from what I can see, like many it hasn't provided me the kind of results and change in life I'd hoped. I've dieted, exercised, the whole shabang. Since my highest weight I am down 25kgs but I still weigh 105kgs. My lowest was 96kgs after a stint of living/working in Canada and living off a very low budget and 2 minute noodles.

I've been referred to and have made an appointment with a Dr. Philip Game here in Adelaide. Anyone know of? He is a lapband and bypass surgeon, so assumably he will be able to rid of one and implement the other. I'd really prefer not to go without the band for ages while waiting for my surgery.. so terrified of what might happen or the weight I'll put on.

There were a couple of you here due to have your Bypass surgery done from the band. How did it go? I'd love to hear your stories.
Back to top Go down
Trishl1976

Female
Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2012-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Going from band to bypass   Going from band to bypass EmptyFri 02 Nov 2012, 12:02 am

Hi G,

thanks so much for the offer to meet up, but Im flat out for the next few weeks, have arranged all sorts of things to keep my mind off it all.

Im not seeing a psychologist, its just the way I am.... I hate hosiptal etc etc etc I know I will be alright but I have my moments of freaking out.... :) Im guessing we are all the same at some stage

Thanks so much

Hey Kity,

You know your right when you say you feel more understood on here than by your family, my hubby is pretty supportive but I dnt think he understands much of it, he has never suffered weight problems in his entire life..

Heres to possitive few weeks ahead of me

Thanks girls xxxxxx
Back to top Go down
kity1_cat

Female
Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2012-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Going from band to bypass   Going from band to bypass EmptyThu 01 Nov 2012, 11:48 pm

Hi Trish,

Let's get this straight..you are not a big sook...lol The time is coming closer so it isn't weird that you are getting scared/ nervous.

Glen's idea is a great idea. Just take a deep breath and try and focus on how this operation is going to benefit your life. I am actually going to try it when I get nervous as I have been feeling it as well.

This is why this forum is great. I feel more understood here than I do at home and with my family. Nobody actually talks to me about what where I am with my weight and the fact that I am going to have this operation...:/

Kity1_cat

MY WEIGHT STORY

1969- NOV 2009: A Plethora of the latest and the bestest diets in the

world which cost me alot of emotional and Financial ruin.

Height: 152cm

LAP BAND SURGEON:

Dr Justin Bissell: Adelaide
LAPBAND:
10th -11-2009
Heaviest B4 Lapband
: 92 kg
Lightest with Lapband
: 77 kg
Stablized with Lapband
: 93 kg
LAP BAND REMOVED BY AND RNY SURGEON:

Dr Jacob Chisholm: Flinders Private Hosp.

REMOVAL OF LAPBAND: 22ND June 2012 at Calvery Hosp.

RNY BYPASS: due 17-12-2012
Start Optifast: 03-12-2012
Day of Surgery: 17-12-12
1st day home:
GOALS:
90 kg
80 kg
75 kg
70 kg
65 kg
Back to top Go down
glenmaree
Part of the furniture
glenmaree

Female

PostSubject: Re: Going from band to bypass   Going from band to bypass EmptyThu 01 Nov 2012, 10:44 pm

Trish

Just realised you are in Adelaide - I am coming down next Thursday 8th for a wedding on the Saturday - fly home on the following Tuesday. I am staying at the Big 4 Caravan Park Adelaide Shores - would you like to catch up. Happy to work out a time.

G
Back to top Go down
glenmaree
Part of the furniture
glenmaree

Female

PostSubject: Re: Going from band to bypass   Going from band to bypass EmptyThu 01 Nov 2012, 10:41 pm

Hi Trish

I beleive that you ned to be in a positive state of mind before undertaking any major decision and surgery is no different. Try making a list of all the positives that will come of the surgery and put that against the negatives. Are you seeing a psychologist - they may to able to help you settle some of the anxiety and of course keep posting - we will do all we can to help -

G
Back to top Go down
Trishl1976

Female

PostSubject: Re: Going from band to bypass   Going from band to bypass EmptyThu 01 Nov 2012, 10:08 pm

Hey Kity

Nope not yet, not till 27th Nov, Im just a big HUGE sook :)
Back to top Go down
kity1_cat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Going from band to bypass   Going from band to bypass EmptyThu 01 Nov 2012, 7:36 am

Aww..

Thinking about you.

Have you had your op yet?

Kity1_cat
Back to top Go down
Trishl1976

Female

PostSubject: Re: Going from band to bypass   Going from band to bypass EmptyThu 01 Nov 2012, 3:38 am

Thanks Kity1_cate, Im plodding along trying not to think about it too much

I worry so much for my hubby and son..... but I gotta be positive :)
Back to top Go down
kity1_cat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Going from band to bypass   Going from band to bypass EmptyMon 29 Oct 2012, 5:25 am

Hey Ros,

By this time you will be waiting or in theatre. See you on the other side.

Trish, nice to meet you. I think your nerves are just telling you that something important is going to happen. I am not due to have my RNY till Dec 17th and I am waking up each day with butterflys in my stomach....

Keep in touch with us as this is a great place for support...:)

Kity1_cat.

MY WEIGHT STORY

1969- NOV 2009: A Plethora of the latest and the bestest diets in the

world which cost me alot of emotional and Financial ruin.

Height: 152cm

LAP BAND SURGEON:

Dr Justin Bissell: Adelaide
LAPBAND:
10th -11-2009
Heaviest B4 Lapband
: 92 kg
Lightest with Lapband
: 77 kg
Stablized with Lapband
: 93 kg
LAP BAND REMOVED BY AND RNY SURGEON:

Dr Jacob Chisholm: Flinders Private Hosp.

REMOVAL OF LAPBAND: 22ND June 2012 at Calvery Hosp.

RNY BYPASS: due 17-12-2012
Start Optifast: 03-12-2012
Day of Surgery: 17-12-12
1st day home:
GOALS:
90 kg
80 kg
75 kg
70 kg
65 kg
Back to top Go down
Trishl1976

Female

PostSubject: Re: Going from band to bypass   Going from band to bypass EmptyMon 29 Oct 2012, 5:13 am

i Everyone,
Just having a little freak out today, its getting closer and closer to my surgery date and Im starting to get worried.

I have been doing my optifast for a week now, and have lost a couple of kilos which is pretty exciting but OMG why am I so scared????Going from band to bypass 716201

On a better note, I just booked a holiday to bali at the end of march so I have that to look forward to, I might try focussing on that and try and get my surgery out of my head for a while.

Anyways Ive had my sook.....

I hope everyone is doing well, and I hope everything went well today Ros

Look forward to reading everyones posts, certianly gets me through the hards time :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Going from band to bypass   Going from band to bypass Empty

Back to top Go down

Going from band to bypass
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Other Weight Loss Surgeries :: From sleeve/band to Bypass-
Jump to: