Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

Constipated Empty
PostSubject: Re: Constipated   Constipated EmptyTue 30 Oct 2012, 8:40 pm

four months out and I still have issues, I did abit before but not like this. I will need to take osmolax more regularly, I do have days I drink h2o alot but slack other days. So I will look at quinoa seeds to add to a cereal muffin I made awhile ago. thanks girls
Back to top Go down
Julie-Anne
Julie-Anne

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-08-25

Constipated Empty
PostSubject: Re: Constipated   Constipated EmptyTue 30 Oct 2012, 4:47 pm

Initially, I suffered from The Runs but I think that was just a result of the Barium Swallow on Day 3. I came home on Day 5 and the 3 Hour drive nearly did me in. It was awful but I survived. I'm now about 3.5 months post op and i have lost 40.2kg to date.

My biggest issue is constipation and wind. Not just little poppers every now and then. I'm talking about big ol' bugle butt blowoffs like the kids do on their arms!!! And it's every 15-20 minutes. Poor old hubby says it's even in my sleep, too. Wonderful! makes me feels very antisocial. The only positive is that they don't smell. I only have BMs every 8-9 days and even then it doesn't seem 'right'. Always soft and unformed and slow to come out. God, this is getting gross. I have asked my surgeon at the 3 month post op visit and he said I could take Movical every day for the rest of my life without any side effects. Anyone else had this issue? And, for those who now longer feel hunger, I am the opposite. Eat a small portion and feel full and 1 hour later, starving! And my stomach just bubbles and rumbles and has become quite loud at times.

What can I do? My Dietitian says I should eat my 3 small meals and 3 small snacks a day. Yeah sure!! more like about 8. I drink about 1.5L water each day and also some Coke Zero. Just got to watch the bubbles. I usually drink it flat. Any suggestions??
Back to top Go down
chrissy8582
chrissy8582

Female
Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2012-06-26

Constipated Empty
PostSubject: Re: Constipated   Constipated EmptyWed 22 Aug 2012, 1:22 pm

so relieved to read these posts, I'm 2 weeks post op and OMG worse case of constipation in my life, (normally I'm the totally opposite takes very little to get the "runs") and here I am stomach pains, n NOTHING happening......
finally all come out this morning at 4am, well most, think Ive spent half today going back and forwards as my poor body finally empty's out.
definite trip to chemist tomorrow to see about Osmolax that's mention here. something need to be done cause another build up like that will kill me....
Back to top Go down
Strawberrychick
Top Poster
Top Poster
Strawberrychick

Female
Number of posts : 1211
Registration date : 2012-02-16

Constipated Empty
PostSubject: Re: Constipated   Constipated EmptyTue 14 Aug 2012, 12:40 pm

I use osmolax now and find it extremely helpful. I think the constipation for me is clearly a side effect of not being able to have enough water and probably not enough fruit and veg.
Back to top Go down
melpaulned
Part of the furniture
melpaulned

Female
Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2010-06-22

Constipated Empty
PostSubject: Re: Constipated   Constipated EmptyTue 14 Aug 2012, 12:23 pm

my naturopath told me to eat linseeds to bulk up the poo - we don't eat enough to bulk it up

i make an apple quinoa flake bake (with linseeds and chia seeds) for breakfast (eat 1/4 - 1/2 of it) and it's great for fibre, as an added bonus the quinoa has protein in it

but the most helpful thing is drink water! i didn't for the first 18 months and had no end of constipation, this past month i've been making an effort to drink 2 litres most days of the week and the difference it makes is amazing
not perfect but much much better, i can't remember the last time i had to use movicol
mel

Back to top Go down
margd
Top Poster
Top Poster
margd

Female
Number of posts : 2628
Registration date : 2011-09-09

Constipated Empty
PostSubject: Re: Constipated   Constipated EmptyTue 14 Aug 2012, 10:13 am

Great stuff and so true you don't taste it in your tea,i think putting it in the hot tea makes it work even faster,to start with use it morning and night.
Back to top Go down
~Trishah~
Top Poster
Top Poster
~Trishah~

Female
Number of posts : 1954
Registration date : 2012-04-15

Constipated Empty
PostSubject: Re: Constipated   Constipated EmptyFri 08 Jun 2012, 9:34 am

It is awesome stuff and my doc said its non addictive and safe to take everyday for the rest of your life.... I took it every day for a month and it must have got me back in rythme because I only use it every now and again now.

It will be the best 20 bucks you ever spend... 1 teaspoon of the unflavoured powder in your cuppa in the morning and your good to go and you wont even know its in the cuppa
Back to top Go down
lilac
Part of the furniture
lilac

Female
Number of posts : 374
Registration date : 2010-08-02

Constipated Empty
PostSubject: Re: Constipated   Constipated EmptyFri 08 Jun 2012, 9:15 am

pixelgypsy wrote:
One word " Osmolax"

Works wonders. Was only going once every 8 days. Got started on osmolax then kept taking daily to get the backlog.moving then once every other day. Doesn't give you cramps or whooshka. Also makes the buggers softer to pass....so u don't tear yourself a new one!

Try it you'll be amazed ( sounds like a demtel ad)

Great reply! I laughed out loud to "whooshka" and the "demtel ad"! You oughtta be an entertainer - I'd be a fan!
Back to top Go down
pixelgypsy

Female
Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2012-01-16

Constipated Empty
PostSubject: Re: Constipated   Constipated EmptyThu 07 Jun 2012, 12:25 pm

One word " Osmolax"

Works wonders. Was only going once every 8 days. Got started on osmolax then kept taking daily to get the backlog.moving then once every other day. Doesn't give you cramps or whooshka. Also makes the buggers softer to pass....so u don't tear yourself a new one!

Try it you'll be amazed ( sounds like a demtel ad)
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

Constipated Empty
PostSubject: Re: Constipated   Constipated EmptyWed 06 Jun 2012, 9:52 pm

Doing it for me wrote:
HI

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this as I am rather concerned. I am 2 weeks post op. For the first few days i had runny stomach, now I can't relief myself and when I went for the first time after a week I was bleeding from behind?

Is this normal?? I am freaking out a bit.... I was going so well...and then this... Constipated 81722

Yumnah

Do a search on constipation, there is tons of info in here on it.
Back to top Go down
lilac
Part of the furniture
lilac

Female
Number of posts : 374
Registration date : 2010-08-02

Constipated Empty
PostSubject: Re: Constipated   Constipated EmptyTue 05 Jun 2012, 8:50 am

I also suffer chronic constipation since having the sleeve done. I'd never suffered with it before it.

I just wish the doctor had emphasised the problem before the op - he and the other doctors at the hospital underplayed it and seemed to blame the sleevers for not eating enough fibre. That's just ridiculous as I eat so much more healthily now than I did before and I drink bottles and bottles of water every day. Nothing helps at all. It can be so distressing and tiring - I feel constantly exhausted and have aching pains in my abdomen all the time. I am bleeding so much now that I have to wear sanitary pads! I fear that I will become addicted to medication at this rate - and that just makes it worse as then I get diarrhea which exacerbates the whole condition. I wonder if there's a procedure which could help the intestines work better after the sleeve?
Back to top Go down
snowbunny
Part of the furniture
snowbunny

Female
Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2011-06-14

Constipated Empty
PostSubject: Re: Constipated   Constipated EmptyThu 17 May 2012, 8:44 am

Thats great news that you got it sorted quickly.
I am so glad you are feeling better.
Back to top Go down
Doing it for me

Female
Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2012-04-28

Constipated Empty
PostSubject: Re: Constipated   Constipated EmptyThu 17 May 2012, 3:56 am

HI

Thank you all so much for your advice and you were all so right... Spoke to my surgeon and he said it is normal because of hemerroids, esp us sleevers. And that I should be taking fibre and something for bowel movement.

That is such a relief I tell you as I barey sleep last night

thank you all once again for putting my mind at ease.... Constipated 63412 Constipated 217555
Back to top Go down
~Trishah~
Top Poster
Top Poster
~Trishah~

Female
Number of posts : 1954
Registration date : 2012-04-15

Constipated Empty
PostSubject: Re: Constipated   Constipated EmptyWed 16 May 2012, 11:12 pm

Try osmolax powder.... its the same ingredient as movicol but without the lemon flavouring and electrolites (which you dont need daily anyway)

My doc told me to get it ( it comes in a tub for $19) and put a teaspoon in my cup of tea every morning... it has no flavour at all so wont impact your tastebuds ...repeat at night if nessesary.

It is safe to take daily for the rest of your life and you will not form dependancy. It is the same as the american "miralax" that american sleevers use.

It simply forces water into your waste (poo) in the bowel and keeps it soft so it moves through faster and does not damage the rectum with a hard exit.

As snow bunny said take some fibre.. though not heaps as your fibre should be directly related to your water intake or you will end up impacted.

Benefibre combined with movocol or osmolax is a good combo as is unprocessed bran. Start with a teaspoon a day of fibre and work up slowly. I found that psylium and flax seed (lin seeds) made my bowel into brick works as they required too much fluid to make them work and I couldnt get enough in
Back to top Go down
snowbunny
Part of the furniture
snowbunny

Female
Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2011-06-14

Constipated Empty
PostSubject: Re: Constipated   Constipated EmptyWed 16 May 2012, 2:15 pm

Bright red bleeding is normally from a small scratch/tear or hemerroid in the anus. This can happen if the bowel motion is large, compacted and hard.

Deep brown blood is old blood and can occur if bleeding is in stomach or bowel.

If you have no other significant pain, it is probably minor.
Try to keep your bowels moving with movicol, benefibre, prunes, sultanas or whatever works for you. Personally 3 prunes is all I need.
I get constipated when taking iron supplements, and it is extremely hard to drink the water we need after being sleeved.

Constipation is common after sleeve surgery. If you are worried, see your surgeon or GP.
Drink as much water as you can manage.
Back to top Go down
Belladonna
Belladonna

Female
Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2011-01-01

Constipated Empty
PostSubject: Re: Constipated   Constipated EmptyWed 16 May 2012, 1:20 pm

Good advice is always check with your Dr, especially with bleeding. Most people get constipation with this sleeve. Try movicol (from the chemist). It works differently to the fibre remedies (such as Benefibre) and certainly worked for me!

Good luck

Donna
Back to top Go down
Doing it for me

Female
Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2012-04-28

Constipated Empty
PostSubject: Constipated   Constipated EmptyWed 16 May 2012, 12:59 pm

HI

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this as I am rather concerned. I am 2 weeks post op. For the first few days i had runny stomach, now I can't relief myself and when I went for the first time after a week I was bleeding from behind?

Is this normal?? I am freaking out a bit.... I was going so well...and then this... Constipated 81722

Yumnah
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Constipated Empty
PostSubject: Re: Constipated   Constipated Empty

Back to top Go down

Constipated
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: Complications With The Sleeve-
Jump to: