Tash
Top Poster
Top Poster
Tash

Female
Number of posts : 1492
Registration date : 2011-03-30

Have I missed something?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Have I missed something?    Have I missed something?  EmptySat 12 May 2012, 12:52 am

When I went to Concord Public self funded the only extra cost was the Anesthetist. Get it in writing though. Sure you will be fine.
Back to top Go down
danstar
Part of the furniture
danstar

Female
Number of posts : 317
Registration date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Have I missed something?    Have I missed something?  EmptyFri 11 May 2012, 1:14 pm

Ho JoJo
I'm self funding too with DrDavid Martin as a patient in Concord public.
All up mine will be costing just under 10k...only reall difference is your surgeon is cheaper..DrMartin. charges approx 8000 .
I know how you feel though I'm still nervous about unforseen or unexpected costs.
My advice ..get it on paper.
Back to top Go down
Jojo78
Jojo78

Female
Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2012-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Have I missed something?    Have I missed something?  EmptyFri 11 May 2012, 12:47 pm

Thanks everyone for your replays..

I'm beginning to think that I should prepare myself for a big bill from the hospital. My surgeon did tell me that he does work at the PA looking after the public patients in general surgery and assured me that there are no extra cost and I am happy with him. He was very straight up and has an excellent rep at the hospital that I am going to. I met him when I had my previous surgery in july. He is one o the dr's that teacher other surgeons. I guess that's why I'm confused.
Back to top Go down
Lady bug
Lady bug

Female
Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2012-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Have I missed something?    Have I missed something?  EmptyFri 11 May 2012, 12:32 pm

Hey JoJo,

I'm having mine self funded at Ipswich Public Hospital with Dr Lockie and I think he is one of the most expensive but here is the quote I got:

Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy = $1997
Partial Gastrectomy= $2900
+/- Antireflux operation by cardiopexy=$326
+/-Laparoscopic Division of Adhesions=$217
Hospital fee (includes 2 nights, excludes ICU)=$5000
Practice Program including Perioperative Services=$4040
Anaesthetist=$1500
Gastroscopy=$1225

Total=$17206

I expected it would be that much. Yours sounds very cheap -might have to think about changing surgeons hehe.

Kate
Back to top Go down
Strawberrychick
Top Poster
Top Poster
Strawberrychick

Female
Number of posts : 1211
Registration date : 2012-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Have I missed something?    Have I missed something?  EmptyFri 11 May 2012, 9:22 am

Hi Jojo

It sounds right to me, but check of course for your own peace of mind. I'm not self funded but I paid $4,900 for the surgeon, $1,300 for the anaesthetist, $200 out of pocket at the hospital. Surgeon's consult and dietician consult were about the same. The only difference for me was the theatre fees and bed fees per night - those were billed direct to my private health insurance.

How exciting that your surgery date is so close!
Back to top Go down
Tash
Top Poster
Top Poster
Tash

Female

PostSubject: Re: Have I missed something?    Have I missed something?  EmptyFri 11 May 2012, 9:17 am

No it is right. The public system subsidised the hospital costs. I was only charged $300 for 3 nights at Concord Public Hospital. But call your surgeons office and check to put your mind at rest anyway. But all's good in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
snowbunny
Part of the furniture
snowbunny

Female
Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2011-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Have I missed something?    Have I missed something?  EmptyFri 11 May 2012, 9:06 am

The hospital looks too cheap.
HDU bed is about 5K per day
Normal Bed is about 1K per day
Maybe as it is a public hospital it is cheaper.

I would ring to clarify. I would hate it if you had to pay a big unexpected bill.
Good Luck
Back to top Go down
Tash
Top Poster
Top Poster
Tash

Female

PostSubject: Re: Have I missed something?    Have I missed something?  EmptyFri 11 May 2012, 8:44 am

Sounds right. Mine was self funded at Concord Hospital with Dr Taylor from OClinic in Sydney. Cost about $9000 then another 1100 for the Anesthetist. I got only 250 or so back from Medicare as the other portion was claimed by the OClinic to offset their costs. Still a pretty good deal though.
I think yours sounds about right. Good price. Lucky you. Best of Luck
Back to top Go down
Jojo78
Jojo78

Female

PostSubject: Re: Have I missed something?    Have I missed something?  EmptyFri 11 May 2012, 8:41 am

Thanks for the reply Hayley.

I'm still not convinced. Maybe I need to call them on Monday. I am sure I haven't missed anything. Just seams cheap.
Back to top Go down
JustHayley
Part of the furniture
JustHayley

Female
Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2012-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Have I missed something?    Have I missed something?  EmptyFri 11 May 2012, 8:32 am

Hi jojo
I did it all self funded and I think the only difference for me was my surgeon only operated in a private hospital, which cost me over $12,000 for a 3 night stay.

All up I paid $20,000

Have I missed something?  878453
Back to top Go down
Jojo78
Jojo78

Female

PostSubject: Have I missed something?    Have I missed something?  EmptyFri 11 May 2012, 8:20 am

Hi everyone,

I am a little bit concussed. I was expecting to pay about $12000+ to have my sleeve done as I am self funding. I am having it done at the Princess Alexandra hospital (public) as a private patient. I am booked in for the 19th June and got my paperwork today. I don't know if I have missed something as it seems rather cheap. I just don't want to get to the day and get stung with another huge bill.

Initial consultation with surgon $140
Initial consultation with dietitian $100
Clinical assessment with nurse $100
Surgons fees $6000
Anaesthetist $1060
Hospital $320.

So all up $7720.

Does that sound right to other people that self funded.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Have I missed something?    Have I missed something?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Have I missed something?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Medicare Assistance-
Jump to: