AuthorMessage
sassyred
Part of the furniture
sassyred

Female
Number of posts : 657
Registration date : 2011-09-01

5 days post sleeve and hungry and thirsty :( Empty
PostSubject: Re: 5 days post sleeve and hungry and thirsty :(   5 days post sleeve and hungry and thirsty :( EmptyThu 22 Mar 2012, 8:19 am

Don't worry Mrs P you will be fine. I don't think I do inspriation, lol, my diary lately has been a bit sidetracked!!

Reflux is a strange and mysterious thing - my symptoms are like food is stuck in my throat, or even worse like a hair ball is stuck there, eeeeeeeewww its awful. I actually went to my surgeon about it - thinking here was a problem with my throat - and it turned out to be reflux. He quadrupled my dose and it came right in two days. But I hadn't heard about it causing hunger, and now that I think about it I haven't been taking my second tablet of the day lately and I've been crazy hungry sometimes. Must be vigilent with it and see if that helps. But even crazy hungry doesn't mean alot of food, because life is sleeve-tastic now :-)
Back to top Go down
mrspotatohead

Female
Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2012-01-12

PostSubject: Re: 5 days post sleeve and hungry and thirsty :(   5 days post sleeve and hungry and thirsty :( EmptyWed 21 Mar 2012, 10:13 am

Thanks middle woman, i am on reflux meds thought so ???

Feeling a little better now as sat down to eat homemade butter chicken with lots of water pureed about 3/4 cup and it took about 20 mins with breaks to get in. However still feel like i could eat a horse :(
Back to top Go down
MiddleWoman
Part of the furniture
MiddleWoman

Female
Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2010-12-17

PostSubject: Re: 5 days post sleeve and hungry and thirsty :(   5 days post sleeve and hungry and thirsty :( EmptyWed 21 Mar 2012, 7:29 am

Hi MPH,

I second the ice and iceblocks - really important to keep up your fluids, especially while breastfeeding (as you know).

And I thoroughly agree with trishah - if you are not on reflux tablets, perhaps you should be, as reflux can really make you feel like you are hungry. I wouldn't be surprised if this is why a lot of us became obese in the first place - mistaking reflux for hunger (I know I did). All the best with your progress. You are doing great.

MiddleWoman
Back to top Go down
mrspotatohead

Female

PostSubject: Re: 5 days post sleeve and hungry and thirsty :(   5 days post sleeve and hungry and thirsty :( EmptyWed 21 Mar 2012, 6:35 am

Thank you so much everyone!!!!! I had been feeling really down about it but you girls are so good at cheering me up.

Rang and spoke to surgeons receptionist and she said prob my brain hasn't caught up on what's happening yet.

Ginka your clever I forgot the breast feeding would be taking it out of me. Thanks Hun.

Thanks again everyone love you all.

Now try to drink lots and tell my tummy I am not hungry. Sassy red it looks like I will take after you and still get hungry. Off to search if you have a diary now to give me some inspiration ;)
Back to top Go down
amanda O'D
Part of the furniture
amanda O'D

Female
Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2010-11-13

PostSubject: Re: 5 days post sleeve and hungry and thirsty :(   5 days post sleeve and hungry and thirsty :( EmptyTue 20 Mar 2012, 8:49 am

sip sip and then sip some more and as special treats lemonaide iceblocks really help to quench thirst.
You with breast feeding need more fluids than the average sleever so your water bottle must be come part of you, where ever you go, so goes your drink bottle.

As for feeling hungry, your body is most likely confusing hunger with thirst, either way the lemonaide iceblocks also help with the hunger the fact you can actually bite into something then just let it melt in your mouth does wonders for tricking your brain into believing it is actually being fed.

smiles
Mandy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 5 days post sleeve and hungry and thirsty :(   5 days post sleeve and hungry and thirsty :( EmptyTue 20 Mar 2012, 7:01 am

Was the same Sassy... I would sit down with two glasses of water cos one was never enough... the thirst always hit insatiable as the let down reflex happend.
Back to top Go down
sassyred
Part of the furniture
sassyred

Female

PostSubject: Re: 5 days post sleeve and hungry and thirsty :(   5 days post sleeve and hungry and thirsty :( EmptyTue 20 Mar 2012, 6:58 am

Oh Mrs Potatohead if you are feeding a little spud then that would explain it. I used to curse myself if I sat down to feed (I could never walk around with bub latched on) without a drink next to me. The demands on you are great - be kind to yourself and take it easy!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 5 days post sleeve and hungry and thirsty :(   5 days post sleeve and hungry and thirsty :( EmptyTue 20 Mar 2012, 4:15 am

well no wonder the little buggar is hungry and thirsty...I forgot she was breast feeding her bub
Back to top Go down
Ginka
Part of the furniture
Ginka

Female
Number of posts : 785
Registration date : 2012-01-21

PostSubject: Re: 5 days post sleeve and hungry and thirsty :(   5 days post sleeve and hungry and thirsty :( EmptyTue 20 Mar 2012, 2:33 am

Mrs P, I think I know what is making you thirsty - YOUR BREASTFEEDING! We need additional fluid intake for milk production. It may be your body trying to compensate on reduced food/drink consumption. So, sip, sip, sip.
Back to top Go down
sassyred
Part of the furniture
sassyred

Female

PostSubject: Re: 5 days post sleeve and hungry and thirsty :(   5 days post sleeve and hungry and thirsty :( EmptyTue 20 Mar 2012, 2:18 am

Hi MrsP

I felt just the same as you but wasn't allowed yoghurt etc until two weeks post op. After 10 days I felt I could have eaten a whole bucket of KFC!! So yes I was hungry but that passes once you are on mushies and then normal food and consuming enough protein etc, tho I still get hungry now unlike some other sleevies. Definately stop when you feel uncomfortable as you are very early days and you need to be kind to your tummy.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 5 days post sleeve and hungry and thirsty :(   5 days post sleeve and hungry and thirsty :( EmptyMon 19 Mar 2012, 8:51 pm

MrsP are you on reflux meds... I have heard that acid can mask its self as hunger and thirst. Just a thought
Back to top Go down
Kate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Kate

Female
Number of posts : 2162
Registration date : 2011-06-23

PostSubject: Re: 5 days post sleeve and hungry and thirsty :(   5 days post sleeve and hungry and thirsty :( EmptyMon 19 Mar 2012, 4:42 pm

I would have a chat with your surgeon about being so thirsty if you think it is a problem as there could be underlying problems, better to be safe than sorry. I wasn't allowed to have custard or yoghurt until the puree stage which was week 3 and 4 post op but as we all know every surgeon is different and has different post op menu plans. Try and stick to the guidelines given as in the first few months while everything is healing it is all about not putting pressure on the staple line. A chat with your dietician may be helpful as well. Good luck.

Kate
Back to top Go down
buzzitozzz

Female
Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2010-10-20

PostSubject: Re: 5 days post sleeve and hungry and thirsty :(   5 days post sleeve and hungry and thirsty :( EmptyMon 19 Mar 2012, 12:55 pm

Hi Mrs P,

It doesn't sound like you are eating too much, but I would stop if you are feeling uncomfortable.

When I was on the liquid stage I had about 1/2 cup of yoghurt for breakfast, 1/2 cup soup for lunch and 1/2 cup of soup for dinner. I would add protein powder to my soup. For M/T or A/T I would have a skim milkshake with protein powder. I would also have diet jelly when I felt like it and a Nestle diet mousse at supper time which I think was more to do with head hunger than actual hunger but hey you can't fix everything.

I can drink quite a large amount of fluid and can eat and drink in the same meal which is a real relief for me as I too suffer from thirst and always have.

Since my op, 3 weeks ago I have lost 9.5kg and I am pretty happy with that.

Good luck with your weight loss and listen to your body as I find that is the best guide to what you need.
Back to top Go down
Angelmystique
Top Poster
Top Poster
Angelmystique

Female
Number of posts : 1359
Registration date : 2012-02-20

PostSubject: Re: 5 days post sleeve and hungry and thirsty :(   5 days post sleeve and hungry and thirsty :( EmptyMon 19 Mar 2012, 11:33 am

Mrs P

i found the opti make u VERY thirsty - when i stopped those my thirst seemed to be less demanding.

Try an upngo or sustegan or yoghurt(runny) for breakfast and see how you go.

If your still hungry (listening to yoru belly) then have more - but youwill find if u eat too much u will either want to bring it up or it will sit horrid for a good hour.

5 days out -it takes time to remember how much you can have - this is the hardest time i found for mentally changing what i can have vs what i used to be able to have and what my brain think it wants.

There were times i could fit the whole opti in and others i couldnt do 100ml - drink what u want when you need to. There are not set rules - your body knows what i tlikes.

there are days now i am hungry and then have 3 mouthfuls and i am full (brain thinks gosh u can fit more in) but if i do - i am not happy after - body remindsme.

Just take it easy, and try and ease yourself back in :) your doing great xx
Back to top Go down
sammyg85
sammyg85

Female
Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2012-01-08

PostSubject: Re: 5 days post sleeve and hungry and thirsty :(   5 days post sleeve and hungry and thirsty :( EmptyMon 19 Mar 2012, 11:23 am

Hi potato head congrats on ur sleeve I was soooo thirsty all of the time and still am u get the hang of not drinking b4 n after eating but other than then drink away I was told I always thought about food after my sleeve but not so much now, now it's only how can I get enough protein in as for hungry I can't help I still don't get hungry I eat by the clock n my dietition has me on 6 meals a day I still struggle for half a cup but hopefully someone else can help u out there ur doing a great job it all gets easier goodluck!!!!
Back to top Go down
mrspotatohead

Female

PostSubject: 5 days post sleeve and hungry and thirsty :(   5 days post sleeve and hungry and thirsty :( EmptyMon 19 Mar 2012, 11:16 am

Ok please can i have some advice. As the topic reads i was sleeved last wed (5 days ago). I seem to have built up my tolerance to things. I am constantly drinking and thirsty and having water and diet cordial between 'meals' but then my info says not to drink 15mins prior or 30 post meal. This is too long for me and i get so thirsty.

The main issue though is i am still hungry and thinking about food:(. Here is what happened today

Opti choc shake 1/2 = breakfast - i could have drunk it all but my info says that would be too much

morning tea = 1/2 opti shake

lunch = 3/4 cup protein soup i made

afternoon tea = 3/4 cup custard

dinner = 3/4 cup protein soup i made

in between all this i have had water or cordial and i have only stopped at these volumes becuase either i was thinking shit i am eating too much or it became uncomfortable. However when i say uncomfortable i mean i still really want to eat it but it starts to feel like i have no room.

Please help guys and girl.

Also please tell me it is just the liquid stage and gets easier. I really didnt expect to still be so full on thinking about food.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 5 days post sleeve and hungry and thirsty :(   5 days post sleeve and hungry and thirsty :( Empty

Back to top Go down

5 days post sleeve and hungry and thirsty :(
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: