14 posters
AuthorMessage
Freaky71
Freaky71

Female
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-01-04

post op diarrhea Empty
PostSubject: Re: post op diarrhea   post op diarrhea EmptySun 05 Aug 2012, 11:04 am

It's now day 11 post op and I have developed diarrhea within 30 mins (usually 10mins) of having my Optifast, which I never had a problem with pre sleeve. I guess my biggest concern is that I've developed Dumping Syndrome and given my bum hurts already, I don't think I can do it fulltime.

I'm due for my post op checkup in 2 days and I'm hoping my surgeon will be able to shed some light on what's happening. If it's like this with Optifast, what's it going to be like once I start puree?

Anyone had the same thing?
Back to top Go down
Widget

Female
Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2012-01-10

post op diarrhea Empty
PostSubject: Re: post op diarrhea   post op diarrhea EmptyThu 02 Aug 2012, 12:30 am

I have diarrhea almost twice an hour. It is hell. My poor bottom. I'm able to swallow immodium now (day 6) so i actually got a good night sleep last night thank god. I'm just worried about losing all the fluid. Very frustrating.
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

post op diarrhea Empty
PostSubject: Re: post op diarrhea   post op diarrhea EmptyTue 31 Jul 2012, 1:25 pm

I was put onto osmolax for constapation. Have to use it more. I still have probs, glad that it sounds normal.

For diarrohea - pectin is great, ask at the chemist, there are a few products with this in. It is a drink thinner than mylanta etc. Was told about this from a nurse when I was in a very bad way, lucky I had a hubby back then too look after me.
Back to top Go down
Red5
Part of the furniture
Red5

Female
Number of posts : 304
Registration date : 2012-05-10

post op diarrhea Empty
PostSubject: Re: post op diarrhea   post op diarrhea EmptyTue 31 Jul 2012, 1:08 pm

Janette wrote:
No don't think this is normal, I had constripation from not eating enough!

Me too but I have IBS so it wasn't a surprise. Most of the others who were sleeved in the month I was had your problem, only a couple had mine.
Back to top Go down
Jellybean
Jellybean

Female
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2012-06-18

post op diarrhea Empty
PostSubject: Post op diarrhea   post op diarrhea EmptyTue 31 Jul 2012, 8:45 am

I'm 7 days post op and it's still happening, but I'm taking imoudium at that helps heaps
Back to top Go down
Torigirl
Torigirl

Female
Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2012-06-26

post op diarrhea Empty
PostSubject: Re: post op diarrhea   post op diarrhea EmptyTue 31 Jul 2012, 8:16 am

Day 8 for me and diarrhea for the first 5days then started on Inner heath. (probiotic)

All good now.

Good Luck

Back to top Go down
LisaVanilla
LisaVanilla

Female
Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2012-06-25

post op diarrhea Empty
PostSubject: Re: post op diarrhea   post op diarrhea EmptySat 14 Jul 2012, 10:25 am

Im almost two weeks post op and am back in hospital due to dehydration from diorreah as a side effect from blood pressure medication. Please contact ur surgeon. It's hard to stay hydrated when all fluid is escaping through your bowels.
Back to top Go down
City Beach
City Beach

Female
Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2012-04-21

post op diarrhea Empty
PostSubject: Re: post op diarrhea   post op diarrhea EmptySat 14 Jul 2012, 5:56 am

I had a "fluffy, airy" style from my initial opening of bowels in Hospital and was told that this was normal and it can be a mixture of blood etc from surgery and also from the anasthetic. I am on day four post surgery and the gassiness and windy bowels have almost stopped .

If in doubt make contact with your Dr. I was also told that the Gastro Graph stuff we drink for the xray can cause these symptoms too.
Back to top Go down
PiercedMumma08
Top Poster
Top Poster
PiercedMumma08

Female
Number of posts : 1702
Registration date : 2010-04-05

post op diarrhea Empty
PostSubject: Re: post op diarrhea   post op diarrhea EmptyMon 02 Jul 2012, 5:23 am

Oh yes. I had it also.

I cant remember for how long.

I did speak to the surgeon about it, and he said there was more than likely residual blood in the stomach from the surgery. It acts as a laxative.

But of course that was just my experience, so make sure you check with your surgeon so they can watch you for dehydration also.
Back to top Go down
Jellybean
Jellybean

Female
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2012-06-18

post op diarrhea Empty
PostSubject: Post op diarrhea   post op diarrhea EmptyMon 02 Jul 2012, 4:57 am

I really hope that I don't get diarrhea after the surgery I have panic disorder and agoraphobia and when I panic I get an upset stomach but I do take imodium and that really helps
Back to top Go down
nepratini

Female
Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2012-02-05

post op diarrhea Empty
PostSubject: Re: post op diarrhea   post op diarrhea EmptySun 01 Jul 2012, 1:41 am

I know this is a bit old but thought I would reply anyway. I'm the same with the diarrhea, I've had it every day since I was sleeved and that was three weeks ago. Sometimes its just once a day other times its upwards of four or five times. I contacted my doc and got told it is normal. I suppose it can go either way, you have diarrhea or you have constipation. Its like everything I put in my mouth wants to come out. Its just irritating when you don't know when its gonna hit you. Good luck with everything.
Back to top Go down

post op diarrhea Empty
PostSubject: Re: post op diarrhea   post op diarrhea EmptySun 18 Mar 2012, 7:52 am

try taking an probiotic....like Yakult. If you had iv antibiotics in hospital you can get the runs afterwards and it will keep getting worse.. worth a try
Back to top Go down
bella danni
bella danni

Female
Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2011-12-21

post op diarrhea Empty
PostSubject: Re: post op diarrhea   post op diarrhea EmptySun 18 Mar 2012, 7:49 am

Hi,

I would definately contact your surgeon just to be sure. I had the runs from the day I had my swallow test and it lasted about a week. I am definately keeping food down even though I am still on the liquid stage for another week....Hope it all goes well for you.

Cheers
Danni
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

post op diarrhea Empty
PostSubject: Re: post op diarrhea   post op diarrhea EmptySun 18 Mar 2012, 7:16 am

No don't think this is normal, I had constripation from not eating enough!

Agree with Tigga.
Back to top Go down
Tigga
Part of the furniture
Tigga

Female
Number of posts : 225
Registration date : 2009-09-25

post op diarrhea Empty
PostSubject: Re: post op diarrhea   post op diarrhea EmptySun 18 Mar 2012, 5:01 am

I think you should contact your dr, better to be on the safe side.
Back to top Go down
rainbowsunsets
rainbowsunsets

Female
Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2012-01-31

post op diarrhea Empty
PostSubject: post op diarrhea   post op diarrhea EmptySun 18 Mar 2012, 4:22 am

Hi all,

Not the nicest topic to talk about but i am having a lot of trouble with it since my surgery 2 weeks ago. I eat, then about two hours later i get cramps and diarrhea, i am struggling to keep myself hydrated. I have started to take immodium, however it doesnt always work. Is this normal at the mushy stage?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

post op diarrhea Empty
PostSubject: Re: post op diarrhea   post op diarrhea Empty

Back to top Go down

post op diarrhea
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: