Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Making the most of the first 6 months post sleeve!

Go down 
+4
margd
J
kayt83
Kateh (Bluedog)
8 posters
AuthorMessage
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

Making the most of the first 6 months post sleeve! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making the most of the first 6 months post sleeve!   Making the most of the first 6 months post sleeve! EmptyFri 09 Mar 2012, 11:59 pm

you have hit the nail on the head. exercise, exercise, exercise. whatever works for the individual.
Back to top Go down
leici
Sponsor
leici

Female
Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2010-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Making the most of the first 6 months post sleeve!   Making the most of the first 6 months post sleeve! EmptyFri 09 Mar 2012, 8:26 pm

Hey Kate don't stress!

I think the window of golden weight loss is open for at least a year post op. I lost consistently ( with a few ups and downs) over 12-14 months. At 8 months out I was within normal BMI (74 kg) and thought that was it and was happy to stay there, but kept loosing and was totally delighted to surpass my own goal (66kg). I'll be 2 years out in July and never happier!

And yes, I think exercise is essential to loss and a great way to change your metabolism permanently. Like J I took up the gym at 6 weeks ( twice a week) , walked every day at least 30 mins and swam 2-3 times a week. It requires dedicaion but you can do it and can slow down once you are at goal.

I keep up the walking and swimming- and gym occassionally now.

Plateaus happen- don't panic- focus on the long term goal of being healthier and happier!
Back to top Go down
sassyred
Part of the furniture
sassyred

Female
Number of posts : 657
Registration date : 2011-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Making the most of the first 6 months post sleeve!   Making the most of the first 6 months post sleeve! EmptyFri 09 Mar 2012, 7:59 am

Very interesting thread Kate, hope we hear from a few more long term sleevers too.

My surgeon said the first 6 months is the best but up until 9 months I should still lose weight, so I'm hoping I'll slowly lose the last remaining kgs. He also warned about the bounce effect, where you gain a couple kg again before settling at a sustainable long term weight. So we've still got 4 months to go, pretty good odds I reckon!
Back to top Go down
Kateh (Bluedog)
Part of the furniture
Kateh (Bluedog)

Female
Number of posts : 1159
Registration date : 2011-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Making the most of the first 6 months post sleeve!   Making the most of the first 6 months post sleeve! EmptyFri 09 Mar 2012, 6:31 am

Thanks J & Katie, you made me smile Making the most of the first 6 months post sleeve! 217555

J you are amazing, 106 & still losing. 6 kilos since jan is nothing to sneeze at, that is FANTASTIC Making the most of the first 6 months post sleeve! 446871

Haven't been on the scales this week (I only weigh in once a week!!) but I know after a long weekend away in the wine region of WA I haven't lost any so not stressing just getting back into my exercise. The 6 month mark is coming around fast so its so encouraging to hear others ahead of me still losing. Feeling a lot more confident that I will knock the last 5 kilos off then aim for my goal weight!!

Thank you all.

Cheers
Kate
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Making the most of the first 6 months post sleeve!   Making the most of the first 6 months post sleeve! EmptyFri 09 Mar 2012, 4:51 am

weighing once a week is a great idea. everyday just gets depressing, so many body fluctuations
Back to top Go down
margd
Top Poster
Top Poster
margd

Female
Number of posts : 2628
Registration date : 2011-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Making the most of the first 6 months post sleeve!   Making the most of the first 6 months post sleeve! EmptyFri 09 Mar 2012, 12:11 am

It's probably just fluid retention,the week i was in hospital i put on just over a kilo,but within a few days it was gone plus more,i am three weeks post op and the last three days the scales have not moved,i am going to only weigh myself once a week,its so stressful seeing the scales not move,but they have to evenually.
Back to top Go down
J
Part of the furniture
J

Male
Number of posts : 761
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Making the most of the first 6 months post sleeve!   Making the most of the first 6 months post sleeve! EmptyFri 09 Mar 2012, 12:09 am

I started at the gym 3 times a week about 4 months post-op..

Then I decided to go back to playing cricket and started training twice a week and playing on a Sat, but that started from Sept. So I cut the gym down to 2 days a week so I could at least get 1 day rest in.

My weeks were.

mon - gym
tues - cricket training
wed - gym
thurs - cricket training
fri - rest
sat - playing cricket

But now the seasons finished I should pull my finger out and start going back to the gym 3 times a week..
Back to top Go down
Angelmystique
Top Poster
Top Poster
Angelmystique

Female
Number of posts : 1359
Registration date : 2012-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Making the most of the first 6 months post sleeve!   Making the most of the first 6 months post sleeve! EmptyFri 09 Mar 2012, 12:05 am

well i am not there yet but woke up to a kg GAIN ths morning - only 8 days post op!

I will be interested to see what people say re the 6mths mark :) good thread
Back to top Go down
margd
Top Poster
Top Poster
margd

Female
Number of posts : 2628
Registration date : 2011-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Making the most of the first 6 months post sleeve!   Making the most of the first 6 months post sleeve! EmptyThu 08 Mar 2012, 11:57 pm

106 kilos J that is amazing did you have to exercise a lot to get there.
Back to top Go down
J
Part of the furniture
J

Male
Number of posts : 761
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Making the most of the first 6 months post sleeve!   Making the most of the first 6 months post sleeve! EmptyThu 08 Mar 2012, 11:32 pm

My weight loss was pretty consistent up until probably 3 months ago..

Although having said that I have lost 6kg since the end of Jan, so I'm not really stalling.. just keeping having little plateau's every now and then.

I wouldn't say 6 months is the mark, but definitely 12 months is where you'll find most start to slow down.

I guess it all comes down to what weight you are in the first place, and judging from your picture you look like you've smashed it. well done :)

Back to top Go down
kayt83
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Making the most of the first 6 months post sleeve!   Making the most of the first 6 months post sleeve! EmptyThu 08 Mar 2012, 10:10 pm

Hi Kate

I'm only a couple of months ahead of you, but I hit my goal on six months and the weight loss has slowed considerably after that. Trying to lose a little more but it definitely requires a bit more work now!

Congratulations on your great results so far,
Katie.
Back to top Go down
Kateh (Bluedog)
Part of the furniture
Kateh (Bluedog)

Female
Number of posts : 1159
Registration date : 2011-10-04

PostSubject: Making the most of the first 6 months post sleeve!   Making the most of the first 6 months post sleeve! EmptyThu 08 Mar 2012, 9:51 pm

Morning all. Been continually told throughout my sleeve journey that the first 6 mths are the most crucial to weight loss. So with 5 kgs to go & a month of 6 months I'm starting to get a bit anxious!!
Did Sleevers out there past the 6 mth mark find their weight loss slowed considerably after 6 months??
Cheers
Kate
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Making the most of the first 6 months post sleeve!   Making the most of the first 6 months post sleeve! Empty

Back to top Go down

Making the most of the first 6 months post sleeve!
Page 1 of 1