Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jonbonjovi66
jonbonjovi66

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-07-26

Dietician Advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dietician Advice    Dietician Advice  EmptySat 27 Jul 2013, 6:02 am

Hi Liz.  I am new to the site, but I noticed you are having your Op in August the same as me.  Good luck.
Back to top Go down

Dietician Advice  Empty
PostSubject: What can a dietitian do and how to find one   Dietician Advice  EmptySat 13 Jul 2013, 3:18 am

What can a Dietitian do?
Dietitians don’t just help people lose weight. Some people who have weight loss surgery will have medical conditions with specific dietary needs. Only an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) is qualified to advise on the nutritional management of chronic health conditions such as diabetes, heart disease, gastrointestinal disorders and food allergy and intolerance.
APDs will often distinguish themselves with the words Accredited Practising Dietitian or the following logo:

APDs can educate patients, families, partners and carers on life after weight loss surgery to achieve weight loss. They can also help with advice on:
obtaining all the nutrients needed for good health
managing specific health conditions
vitamin and mineral supplementation
practical meal ideas
meal planning and shopping
reading and understanding food labels
recipe modification.
Long-term success following weight loss surgery involves changes to many aspects of your life. If your surgical team does not include an APD, ask for a referral to one. Alternatively you can search the Dietitians Association of Australia website (www.daa.asn.au) for APDs in your local area. Go to Find an APD, choose your state and then under Area of Practice select Bariatric/Weight Loss Surgery. There is also a Find a Dietitian link on the Obesity Surgery Society of Australia and New Zealand website (www.ossanz.com.au).
Back to top Go down
Tracey_379
Part of the furniture
Tracey_379

Female
Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2012-09-19

Dietician Advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dietician Advice    Dietician Advice  EmptyThu 06 Dec 2012, 8:14 am

Hi again

That link did not work so I will try again
http://www.greatideas.net.au/
Back to top Go down
Tracey_379
Part of the furniture
Tracey_379

Female
Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2012-09-19

Dietician Advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dietician Advice    Dietician Advice  EmptyThu 06 Dec 2012, 8:09 am

Hi

I get the nutrichews from www.greatideas.org.au it also has lots of other useful things like portion perfection book, bowl and plate good luck
Back to top Go down
sassyjane
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 557
Registration date : 2012-11-04

Dietician Advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dietician Advice    Dietician Advice  EmptyThu 06 Dec 2012, 8:04 am

[quote="Janette"]Nutrichews you buy online from Band Buddies. I took them 3 months post op then moved onto ordinary multi vits after that.

Sorry can't give you the link my anti virus software is deeming this site as dangerousDietician Advice  697586[/quote
Thanks for that,at least i can go in the right direction now.
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

Dietician Advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dietician Advice    Dietician Advice  EmptyThu 06 Dec 2012, 7:56 am

Nutrichews you buy online from Band Buddies. I took them 3 months post op then moved onto ordinary multi vits after that.

Sorry can't give you the link my anti virus software is deeming this site as dangerousDietician Advice  697586
Back to top Go down
sassyjane
Part of the furniture

Female

Dietician Advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dietician Advice    Dietician Advice  EmptyThu 06 Dec 2012, 7:31 am

Hi, does any one know where you get these Nutrichews ? i checked in my chemist today but they dont have them. Are the a health food shop line ? i get a bit restricted with shops as i live in the country.Maybe you can get them online ?
Back to top Go down
scoots266
scoots266

Female
Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2012-11-27

Dietician Advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dietician Advice    Dietician Advice  EmptyTue 04 Dec 2012, 9:16 am

When you are in hospital also ask to see a dietician before you are discharged (ask early on o there is time for them to come see you), one would hope that there is a dietician in the hospital that knows stiff about post sleeve diet.

I read the skinny jeans over the last few days, found it an awesome read and will definitely be reading it again in the future, the thing that really stuck with me was about that we feed people as a way of showing love, and that this includes ourselves, therefore when we feel crappy we feed ourselves to show ourselves that we love us, never thought about it like that before!
Back to top Go down
sassyjane
Part of the furniture

Female

Dietician Advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dietician Advice    Dietician Advice  EmptyTue 04 Dec 2012, 5:54 am

hi, have got a couple already on my amazon Fire,one was very good by a uS doctor and i have yet to load the one called skinny jeans which is supposed to be very good also.At the docs tomorrow so hopefully he can find me a dietician with a brain lol. will be seeing you next week on the big day.
Back to top Go down
jenineelise
jenineelise

Female
Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2012-09-26

Dietician Advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dietician Advice    Dietician Advice  EmptyTue 04 Dec 2012, 5:17 am

Hi Jane

I have downloaded a couple of books onto kindle. I started reading one the other night that was mentioned on here and I'm finding it quite good. Information about stalls, hunger so far that I have not heard before. When I get my sh1t together I will message you the names of the books. I tried to copy the dietician notes and they came out too light to read. I will try to do it again.

It's a pitty you can't see Lana while you are up here.
Back to top Go down
sassyjane
Part of the furniture

Female

Dietician Advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dietician Advice    Dietician Advice  EmptyTue 04 Dec 2012, 4:00 am

hi,yes i have been thinking about getting that book as i can get it for my amazon fire,also been loading a few books to read while in hospital as i am not a good sleeper. Will keep you posted on how my complaint goes at my docs tomorrow about the dietician. thanks.
Back to top Go down
shelly25
Top Poster
Top Poster
shelly25

Female
Number of posts : 1776
Registration date : 2009-11-21

Dietician Advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dietician Advice    Dietician Advice  EmptyTue 04 Dec 2012, 3:52 am

Yep im from a country town too,so I know its hard to get much choice.And yep,you know they info/support on here is available and you can use that as guide.

Also Id highly recommend the book-skinnyjeans at last,there is alink in the resource section and in the preop section( you can even download it free from the doctors website that link is there too). It covers heaps of stuff and is a great resource to have.It is written by a surgeon in the field,so he knows what hes talking about and how to have long term success.

shelly
Back to top Go down
sassyjane
Part of the furniture

Female

Dietician Advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dietician Advice    Dietician Advice  EmptyTue 04 Dec 2012, 2:27 am

Hi Shelly,thanks for your message. Both my own doctor/GP and the Dietician are here in town where i live and they are 400 ks away from my surgeon and the hospital where i am having the sleeve done,i have a 4 hour drive in the wee hours on my op day the 13th. i do see my gp tomorrow and will be putting in a complaint,as this dietician comes to the medical practice each Friday,yesterday i was near her actual office so i thought i would chase up my info .As i live in a country town there are sometimes not too many options but i do know there are other dieticians here so will get the doc to point me to another tomorrow when i see him,and hopefully one that has some brains and is not a total air head.So far they have been faxing my details over to my surgeon (hopefully) but he said he did have some data there from them so i can only hope it's ok and this ditzy one has updated it from my visit 3 weeks ago,possibly not though if she cant get her act together in 3 weeks to get the info i want..Hope fully if my doc can find me a good one i will just use her when i come out on the other side after the 13 th dec,watching this site and what others are having has been a big help and i think i have the home pantry/kitchen well prepared for what i need.
Thank you.
Back to top Go down
shelly25
Top Poster
Top Poster
shelly25

Female

Dietician Advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dietician Advice    Dietician Advice  EmptyMon 03 Dec 2012, 11:36 pm

sassyjane I would tell the surgeon how you feel so they have feedback.It is a shame to not have a decent dietition,you could suggest they train a dietition specifically for thier practise and for the sleeve.I wouldnt be shy!!

shelly
Back to top Go down
sassyjane
Part of the furniture

Female

Dietician Advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dietician Advice    Dietician Advice  EmptyMon 03 Dec 2012, 12:03 pm

Hi, i also have copped a ditzy dietician, i have my op next thursday on the 13 th,i last saw my dietician 3 weeks ago,this one was filling in while the usual one was away (even the usual one was not the best) well the one i saw 3 weeks ago didnt know much,gave me a page with the lap band crossed out and wrote down the size my stomach would app hold and then gave me a page of little varied affirmations over it which i could cut out and stick around the place,like what the !!.Well she said she was going to post some more info out to me,like,i am still waiting so i called into her office today to see if i could perhaps pick the info up as my op is next week,oh i havent done it yet so you cant pick it up,i will post it out,yea right lady. I have a docs app on Wednesday and as she comes into this surgery once a week to work from there i am going to put in a complaint,i did not pay her 60 bucks(going to try and get that back too) to get a page of affirmations that i dont need and to still chase up what i want 3 weeks later,so you guessed it i am going to ask if there is another decent one in town who is not a quarter of my age and is not so dam dizzy,this one was a true space cadet and i dont know where they got her from.Just as well i have kept myself pretty well informed and have also learnt heaps by watching others on this site.Do be careful and make sure you get a good dietician and not a total ditzy clutz like i got and have now got rid of,i wont be even bothering to se her again.
Back to top Go down
margd
Top Poster
Top Poster
margd

Female
Number of posts : 2628
Registration date : 2011-09-09

Dietician Advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dietician Advice    Dietician Advice  EmptyTue 25 Sep 2012, 10:24 am

I have a dietician that works with my surgeon,i don't feel i have been taught enough about as to what i have to eat,i struggle big time i either eat to much or not enough.I did buy a few books for after being sleeved but most of them are american and obviously the foods are a bit different.I actually see her tomorrow again so will see how that goes.
Back to top Go down
snowbunny
Part of the furniture
snowbunny

Female
Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2011-06-14

Dietician Advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dietician Advice    Dietician Advice  EmptySat 05 May 2012, 1:13 pm

Maybe I am just easily pleased, but i love my dietician. I have managed to 'squeeze' into appointments that others have cancelled a couple of times. Rescheduling is never a problem and I can ring any time for advice or if I have problems. She does not judge me and is always really encouraging. I do find it strange however that I am told one thing, and others are told another. They even email me a 'newsletter' they have made up for people who have had WLS.

Happy Camper Here

Back to top Go down
ozrick33
Part of the furniture
ozrick33

Male
Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2012-03-12

Dietician Advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dietician Advice    Dietician Advice  EmptyThu 05 Apr 2012, 7:59 am

Mt Dietician, attached to the O Clinic is great. She lives in the real world. I told her I could not stomach opti-fast post surgery but were taking alternatives that tasted ok and she was fine with it. Even said I can nibble at a cracker when I start "mush" phase tomorrow. YUM
Back to top Go down
http://www.sydneyinsurancebroker.com.au
LittleMissCee
Administrator
LittleMissCee

Female
Number of posts : 2103
Registration date : 2010-01-03

Dietician Advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dietician Advice    Dietician Advice  EmptyThu 05 Apr 2012, 6:52 am

I saw my dietician twice after surgery, then never went back.

I didn't like her, and I had to cancel my third appt one afternoon when I had to go into a meeting at work, so I left a message on their "answering machine" to reschedule, they never rang back, so I never went.

I'm going to go and see an independent dietician/nutritionist now however, as I want to know what the best stuff is going to be to eat whilst pregnant.
Back to top Go down
Nickk012
Nickk012

Male
Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2011-12-20

Dietician Advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dietician Advice    Dietician Advice  EmptyThu 05 Apr 2012, 4:15 am

Hello Mrs Potatoehead

I think it is critical any surgeon who is providing gastric sleeve surgery links up with a dietician who knows what we are all going through and can advise us professionally. I suggest anyone who is going through this procedure needs to be find one if they are not already attached.
Back to top Go down
ozrick33
Part of the furniture
ozrick33

Male
Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2012-03-12

Dietician Advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dietician Advice    Dietician Advice  EmptyThu 05 Apr 2012, 3:35 am

My dietician said scrambled eggs qualify as mushy food. Music to my ears!
Back to top Go down
http://www.sydneyinsurancebroker.com.au
PiercedMumma08
Top Poster
Top Poster
PiercedMumma08

Female
Number of posts : 1702
Registration date : 2010-04-05

Dietician Advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dietician Advice    Dietician Advice  EmptyFri 23 Mar 2012, 11:11 pm

My dietitian Michelle Graham was (and still is) FABULOUS!

Lots of GREAT real advice, support and help.

I think Michelle is attached to a couple of surgeons around Brisbane.
Back to top Go down
JustHayley
Part of the furniture
JustHayley

Female
Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Dietician Advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dietician Advice    Dietician Advice  EmptySun 04 Mar 2012, 11:22 am

I'm seeing my dietician for the first time tomorrow! She didn't have any avaliable time before the surgery which I would have preferred but anyway... looking forward to a bit of insight and assistance to get this ball rolling!!
Back to top Go down
mrspotatohead

Female
Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2012-01-12

Dietician Advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dietician Advice    Dietician Advice  EmptySun 04 Mar 2012, 10:45 am

You girls are lucky to have dietitians. We dont have one that works with our dr france. I would like one and have researched ones in adelaide that focus on wls however it wount be the same as they dont work in conjunction to my dr :(
Back to top Go down
shelly25
Top Poster
Top Poster
shelly25

Female

Dietician Advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dietician Advice    Dietician Advice  EmptyFri 02 Mar 2012, 10:59 pm

It is very interesting to hear the many differring advice/guidelines given by dietitions.This is a great thread.

My dietition that works with Dr harrison in Wagga Wagga, works from Dr H's office and is up to date with the sleeve/requirements etc, so I think us Riverina people are very lucky to have a team that work closely together to support thier patients.

shelly
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dietician Advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dietician Advice    Dietician Advice  Empty

Back to top Go down

Dietician Advice
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Dietitians, Dieting, Exercising and more :: Diet, Exercise and more :: Dietitions-
Jump to: