Kate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Kate

Female
Number of posts : 2162
Registration date : 2011-06-23

Dumping Syndrome Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome EmptyTue 28 Feb 2012, 1:50 pm

I totally agree with GR. Don't eat too much as you will be putting pressure on your staple line and that you definitely don't want. I am 6 months out and still wouldn't be able to eat a tin of that chicken, it is very dense. I can eat about 1/2 cup of most things but find fish I can eat a little more of, maybe 3/4 cup. Recently while I was away I ate 8 prawns at dinner one night and while I didn't eat them fast and they weren't oily or in a rich cream sauce it was just a fraction too much in one go. Normally I would eat 6 prawns and that would be a bout my limit. I didn't have any dumping as such but felt very sluggish and a bit sore in the tummy for a few hours. I would definitely try going back to really soft food for a few days and see how that goes. If you're still having trouble get in touch with your surgeon.
Back to top Go down
3rdtimelucky
3rdtimelucky

Female
Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2012-01-06

Dumping Syndrome Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome EmptyTue 28 Feb 2012, 12:18 pm

Thanks, guys for all your suggestions.

I had a much better day today. No ghastly gastric emergencies and less other symptoms in general. I'll experiment with the lactose idea. I've never liked the taste of milk but have always been a cheese addict.

I'm lying in bed as I write this and my stomach is making such a racket it's amazing the neighbours aren't complaining, I'd better put in my ear plugs!

Thanks again,

Liz
Back to top Go down
bintang
Part of the furniture
bintang

Female
Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2011-07-23

Dumping Syndrome Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome EmptyTue 28 Feb 2012, 10:50 am

I am 4 months post op and had this a few weeks ago. Diaorreah(sp?), nausea and retching, sweats, heart palpitations then had to lay down as I felt so weak. Anyway, I realised soon after that I had my lunch too soon. I'd had a late breakfast, then knowing I had to take the kids out ate lunch before going (couldn't finish what I would normally eat). I think my tummy just couldn't cope with the meals so close together (I ate nothing different to usual and haven't had a problem since). For me it was just a case of too much, too soon!

I hope it sorts itself out soon.

xxx
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

Dumping Syndrome Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome EmptyTue 28 Feb 2012, 10:37 am

zymil is a lactose free milk, zymil has cream, so look out if it has cheese etc
Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female
Number of posts : 3826
Registration date : 2011-02-22

Dumping Syndrome Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome EmptyTue 28 Feb 2012, 8:15 am

It sounds as if you have a few things working against you. Some sleevers become lactose intolerant, so try to replace milk and cheese with soy alternatives. Buy protein powder to place in your meals.

At six weeks out, you may be pushing it trying to eat a full tin of any thing!

I stayed with the half cup rule for at least 6 months. Try going back on soups for a few days to see how you go.

If you eat shredded chicken Remember, chew chew chew, and eat a TEASPOON at a time, wait, see if it is OK, then try another teaspoon. It will not kill you to eat only HALF a tin, and eat the OTHER half a few hours later. The potato may also be too starchy for your new raw tummy to handle. Eat the protein first, and limit the potato to a few teaspoons.

You are dumping because you are either lactose intolerant, or you are eating too much in a sitting.

Try some of my suggestions for a day or two. Remember, small sips of drink, and small bites of food, and no more than half a cup in a sitting!

Contact your Surgeon or Dietitian for advice as well.
Back to top Go down
3rdtimelucky
3rdtimelucky

Female
Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2012-01-06

Dumping Syndrome Empty
PostSubject: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome EmptyMon 27 Feb 2012, 1:35 pm

Help!

I am now 6 weeks post sleeve and am having quite a few problems with dumping. I'm eating mainly soft food, but still trying to have a protein shake in the mornings to boost my protein intake. Lunch is often one of those little tins of shredded chicken, I also eat those cheese sticks you can shred, and in the evening I usually mash a boiled potato with a smidge of gravy and some poached chicken or bolognaise sauce. All these things give me the dumping symptoms.

Sometimes I have diarrhoea, always get sweaty, very tired - have to lie down, feel anxious and have palpitations. It lasts about an half and hour usually, though after my evening meal I often lie down on the bed and don't wake up for a couple of hours, which is not very sociable.

The only thing I can think of is that I'm still eating too fast.

Has anyone else had this and if so what did they do to stop it? Pippa sent me some very good info, but I'd like to know if anyone else is having the same symptoms,

Cheers,

Liz

Last edited by 3rdtimelucky on Wed 29 Feb 2012, 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dumping Syndrome Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome Empty

Back to top Go down

Dumping Syndrome
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: