PiercedMumma08
lin1970
glenmaree
Huggy Bear
butterflyfallen
16 posters
AuthorMessage

DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED? Empty
PostSubject: Re: DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED?   DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED? EmptySun 26 Feb 2012, 8:16 am

Funny you should say
Quote :
I actually ENJOY food more, if that makes sense! Things taste and smell amazing when you take your time to savor the flavours and aromas
Because since my band was castrated food doesnt taste the way I thought it would...as if its lost its kick somehow.

Perhaps when I had the silicone offender I imagined such glorious things about all the foods I couldnt eat, that when I could ( and OMG how I could and do) eat them, its a let down.

I wonder if the fact that eating slowly and savouring each mouthful instead of wolfing down large amounts with ravinous gulps has anything to to with it.

I sound wicked I know and honestly I was till I started my self impossed opti phase.. now I just stress about food.... *sigh* nutty as a bag full of ferrets is I
Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female
Number of posts : 3826
Registration date : 2011-02-22

PostSubject: Re: DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED?   DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED? EmptySun 26 Feb 2012, 6:02 am

I actually ENJOY food more, if that makes sense! Things taste and smell amazing when you take your time to savor the flavours and aromas.

I never feel deprived. However, I sometimes wish I could finish a sandwich! I usually eat half a sandwich, and throw the rest away.

The funny thing is, I can always eat anything sweet! Lollies, cake, etc...no problems!

Despite this, I mustn't eat TOO much, because I am at goal!
Back to top Go down
Shannon01

Female
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-01-01

PostSubject: Re: DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED?   DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED? EmptySun 26 Feb 2012, 4:54 am

Agree with everything everyone has said - I suppose the great thing is you can still have llittle bits of everything you love and in the end you are full so you dont feel like you are missing out. To be honest I am so worried about overeating and having the effect of feeling sick if I do that so there is no way I over eat.
9 weeks since sleeve and 16kgs down. Have to be happy with that!!! Love my sleeve
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED?   DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED? EmptySun 26 Feb 2012, 3:47 am

amen to all that!!
Back to top Go down
Huggy Bear
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2010-03-07

PostSubject: Re: DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED?   DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED? EmptySun 26 Feb 2012, 2:52 am

You know I have already answered on this thread somewhere below but I just wanted to add....

I felt much more deprived of LIFE than I ever feel deprived of food now.

Before I missed almost every family outing, never went to the beach, never ate in public, NEVER EVER went swimming, never exercised and was just generally miserable at over 125kg.

Now, at 83kg I am the woman who does not want to stay home! I throw myself into life with a flourish and things still go wrong and from time to time I still want to eat away any problems that arise....I am so grateful, thankful and glad I can no longer do that.

I love my sleeve and I love my new life.

xxxHuggyBear
Back to top Go down
Val 007
Part of the furniture
Val 007

Female
Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2011-11-15

PostSubject: Re: DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED?   DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED? EmptySun 26 Feb 2012, 2:36 am

Hi de hi everyone

Another ex bandit here. The band it was absolutely awful. I felt so deprived, as my band was running really tight, absolutely could not eat hardly anything - only runny foods such as custards and ice cream. I did feel very deprived. Band taken out 23rd January woo hoo now can eat !!!!!!!!!.

Cannot wait for that skinny girl inside of me to come out - sleeve date 20th March.

There is hope for us yet.

Suzy Blue
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED?   DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED? EmptySun 26 Feb 2012, 1:10 am

With the band I could eat and have the stop signals ( you knew if you ate more you would be in crushing pain) so you would stop....but you were still hungry. I hated this! It was the kind of situation that prompted you to eat a little more or a lot... the results not being pleasant. This would lead to me feeling deprived and seriously biatchy.

What everyone here is describing sounds exactly like a skinny persons reaction to food..I like that and I love this thread and am sure it will help a lot of other pre sleeve people
Back to top Go down
Kateh (Bluedog)
Part of the furniture
Kateh (Bluedog)

Female
Number of posts : 1159
Registration date : 2011-10-04

PostSubject: Re: DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED?   DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED? EmptySun 26 Feb 2012, 12:56 am

No no no never feel or felt deprived! Love my sleeve!!
Always had a problem with proportion sizes, not wrong food, so my sleeve has given me the perfect tool to overcome this. Example, last night went to a pizza restraunt (first pizza since op) I had one slice, then let that sit for 15min then made the decision I was full & didn't need anymore. Before October I would have eaten the whole pizza & gone home feeling sick!!!!!!!! But I am not deprived of anything & enjoy my food so much more without the guilt that used to constantly plague me.
I love my sleeve.
Back to top Go down
mammabear25
Part of the furniture
mammabear25

Female
Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2011-08-06

PostSubject: Re: DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED?   DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED? EmptySat 25 Feb 2012, 11:01 pm

Iv'e never thought the sleeve deprived me of anything, at the start you are restricted on what you can eat as its healing etc but this was one of my reasons i choose sleeve over the band as it lets you eat all foods, just smaller portions.

It comes done to a choice you make, when we have Maccas for tea, i can eat it but i choose not to, i've had 1/2 big mac and gave the rest to my daughter as I'm full and I don't want anymore, i don't eat the fries or drink the coke as ive chosen not to......I guess if you ate that kind of food i believe my weight would start to come back.

I believe any WLS is a restrictive procedure to enable us to loose weight but you have to learn the skills to live and maintain a good healthy lifestyle. You can have take away just a smaller portion, i have never had a band but i do have gfs that have suffered from the band, they cant eat a healthy warm chick salad, cant eat bread all because it gets stuck....

I'm nearly 7 months out and i get alot of questions about what i eat? and how much?, will i continue to loose weight? What if i cant stop loosing? I honestly say i eat everything, just in a normal small portion size, i do have junk food, chips, lollies and chocolate but nothing like i used to. I have made a choice not to eat alot of carbs, rice, bread and pasta, again i do but for example i would honestly have 1 1/2 cups of rice on my plate then my chicken stirfry, now its 1/4cup of rice with 80% more stirfry....i dont eat bread for breakfast if i do i have it with baked beans or eggs, 1 peice not 3-4 like i used to have....

The sleeve was the best thing i have ever done, ive invested in me, i did a selfish thing and put myself first for the first time in 21 years.....good luck:)
Back to top Go down
Cherrypie
Cherrypie

Female
Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2011-08-21

PostSubject: Re: DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED?   DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED? EmptySat 25 Feb 2012, 10:56 pm

No, I don't feel deprived as the pluses far outweigh the negatives for me. I feel heaps better, I'm exercising, and I look better. I'm pretty good at following the advice given by the dietician and surgeon, and I listen to my little tummy when it tells me it's getting full.
In terms of eating, I avoid the deprivation thing by making sure I'm eating food I like! I can't do the whole stuffing my face thing anymore, so I figure I should enjoy the small portion of whatever I am eating.
Back to top Go down
nesssie31
nesssie31

Female
Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2012-01-27

PostSubject: Re: DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED?   DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED? EmptyFri 24 Feb 2012, 2:09 pm

hello there,

maybe im still new at this and only 32days out ...but i was more deprived prior to the surgery and just after when i was only on liquids, but now no not at all, im really satisfied feeling full that is, once i finish that is, it still takes me a while to get through a meal:)

my hubby sits there and eats what i use to eat...and i look at it now and think how could i have eaten so much, and yet at the time i didnt see a problem with eating so much on ones plate.

acturlly today i was thinking i love chicken salad sandwiches. one problem i cant eat bread, only 1/2 slice so chicken salad sandwiches are out :( maybe down the track, thats the only think at this point in time i cant think of i would like but cant have:)

im loving it, it has been the best decison i have made for ME ever, short my hubby and son:)

toodles

nessie
Back to top Go down
mmm
mmm

Female
Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2011-09-11

PostSubject: Re: DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED?   DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED? EmptyFri 24 Feb 2012, 12:38 pm

Ah Glenmaree

You have hit the nail on the head with these words

MY new tummy said enough but my head was saying not enough - luckily I listen to my tummy very well so my dissatisfaction comes from not being able to eat as much as my head wants me too.

This is exactly how I have been feeling. I know I can only eat so much and my tummy knows it too but my brain is saying oh yes wouldnt it be lovely to each a full meal!

I am not deprived by any means and it is still a learning curve for me too.

Cheers
MMM

PS I love the new me!
DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED? 542174
Back to top Go down
CareBear
Part of the furniture
CareBear

Female
Number of posts : 354
Registration date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED?   DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED? EmptyFri 24 Feb 2012, 12:10 pm

Absolutely not!

After my sleeve experience, I Feel far more satisfied and am really enjoying the variety of food I can now eat. The portion sizes are not such an issue for me, I seem to be able to eat larger portions than other sleevers (more than I could with the sleeve too). I am enjoying eating out and no longer avoid social eating for fear of blockages and discomfort. All my friends and family have noticed I am eating "normally now" - albeit entree portions and healthy options - to me it feels normal. Not deprived at all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED?   DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED? EmptyFri 24 Feb 2012, 11:40 am

Smaller portions and feeling finished is ok...Im sure there will be times I wish I could continue to eat for taste but for the most part to feel content with the amount I have eaten is what I am looking for.

With the band I would still feel hungry under the band but would be uncomfortable and in pain on top of the band. Its a weird and completely miserable feeling.

Someone said I am prob feeling like this because I am on opti and that is mostly true... the gnawing hungry feeling and not being able to eat because I shouldnt reminds me of the times with the band when I would kill to shovel something down my throat to quell the ravinous hunger but couldnt because I knew the pain that would ensue....hence feeling deprived, sour and nasty.

I fear this kind of misery being permenant. Normal I spose to be second guessing a huge decision in ones life but it still does your head in none the less.
Back to top Go down
NoLongerA"Wanttobe"
NoLongerA

Female
Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2011-08-17

PostSubject: Re: DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED?   DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED? EmptyFri 24 Feb 2012, 9:12 am

Heavens, no ! I love that I can eat anything' except in smaller quantities. It has been the ideal solution to my eating problems from the past. It's nothing like "dieting" from my perspective.
Back to top Go down
100%-er
Top Poster
Top Poster
100%-er

Female
Number of posts : 1217
Registration date : 2011-01-21

PostSubject: Re: DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED?   DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED? EmptyFri 24 Feb 2012, 9:05 am

There are times when I wish I could eat more.... that is I really love the food, and want to continue experiencing it... eating it... etc, but I don't feel deprived. I still get to eat some of any food I want, I don't have any intolerances.

I have come to terms with the fact that if I want to have some steak, and I can't share with anyone, I can order it and not feel guilty about leaving most of it.

I do love my sleeve, it does exactly what it is supposed to, it limits the amount I can eat.

Good luck with your choices.
Back to top Go down
PiercedMumma08
Top Poster
Top Poster
PiercedMumma08

Female
Number of posts : 1702
Registration date : 2010-04-05

PostSubject: Re: DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED?   DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED? EmptyFri 24 Feb 2012, 8:50 am

Huggy Bear wrote:
I never feel deprived. Actually, maybe I have once or twice in the last 18 months when I have not been able to eat more of something delicious but as soon as it happens to me I always think 'thank god I am sleeved'......as I know I would just keep on eating and eating.

I am very lucky in that I can eat very decent sized meals for a sleever (generous entree sized for sure) and I have lost weight slowly but steadily.

I WOULD NOT SWAP MY SLEEVE FOR ANYTHING IN THE WORLD.

I am still a few kilos off goal but am maintaining my weight easily and this in itself is such a gift.

xxxHuggyBear

I am the same. I do feel sometimes frustrated in that "Man I wish I could eat more of that!" - like tonight. Its raining, we got caught in traffic and grabbed pizza for dinner.... with extra cheese! I have eaten one piece and one piece of garlic bread and am more than satisfied and am full. I was thinking 'god I just want more' but then I remember that this is the whole reason I needed the sleeve in the first place.

So I guess it just gets a bit difficult sometimes but I do not for one minute believe I have missed out or will miss out on any foods I want- its just a matter of portion!
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

PostSubject: Re: DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED?   DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED? EmptyFri 24 Feb 2012, 8:14 am

good on you for not eating too much and listening to your body. even though I am not sleeved yet I am working on portion sizes as I know that even eating something good or healthy, if it is too much it doesn't help the weight down
Back to top Go down
glenmaree
Part of the furniture
glenmaree

Female
Number of posts : 745
Registration date : 2011-05-22

PostSubject: I tried   DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED? EmptyFri 24 Feb 2012, 8:04 am

Hi

I tried really hard to not say anything but it got the better of me so I commented on the difference in quanity - she accused me of making her feel guilty which was not my intent but she did cncede too feeing completely stuffed. If I am totally truthful I was a bit envious at first but then realised that I was pleased with myself as I had the self control to stop eating when my new tummy said so.
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

PostSubject: Re: DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED?   DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED? EmptyFri 24 Feb 2012, 7:54 am

G

how did u feel when u realised that your sister ate enough food for 2 people?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED?   DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED? EmptyFri 24 Feb 2012, 7:13 am

Yes Opti sucks the nasty one alright.

Hmmmm interesting reading, makes me wonder
Back to top Go down
glenmaree
Part of the furniture
glenmaree

Female
Number of posts : 745
Registration date : 2011-05-22

PostSubject: deprived v dissatisfied   DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED? EmptyFri 24 Feb 2012, 7:00 am

Hi

I am not sure that deprived is quite the right word - dissatisfied is probably more my style. I was sleeved in Sept but due to complications commenced eating early January. My progress along the food journey has been very quick so I am eating almost anything but in very small quantities.

Today I had lunch with my sister, she ordered a baked potato with cheese, chicken, sour cream and salad. Due to the limited choice I also ordered a potato with chicken and cheese, knowing full well that I would not be able to finish it. Thinking, I would take it home to eat later, I aked for mine to be in a takeaway container. As we sat eating and chatting I watched in total amazement as she ate the lot - there was enough on the plate to feed two people. I on the other hand ate only a tiny bite of the chicken and cheese before realising that it was fatty and therefore tasted awful so I ate only about an eighth of potato. MY new tummy said enough but my head was saying not enough - luckily I listen to my tummy very well so my dissatisfaction comes from not being able to eat as much as my head wants me too. It was an interesting learning experience. From what I read on this forum - being banded limits your choices whereas being sleeved limits the quantity. The difficult part is getting the head to see this point of view.

Good luck with your surgery

PS being on opti is about being deprived so what you are thinking could be attributed to that

G
Back to top Go down
Huggy Bear
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2010-03-07

PostSubject: Re: DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED?   DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED? EmptyFri 24 Feb 2012, 6:57 am

I never feel deprived. Actually, maybe I have once or twice in the last 18 months when I have not been able to eat more of something delicious but as soon as it happens to me I always think 'thank god I am sleeved'......as I know I would just keep on eating and eating.

I am very lucky in that I can eat very decent sized meals for a sleever (generous entree sized for sure) and I have lost weight slowly but steadily.

I WOULD NOT SWAP MY SLEEVE FOR ANYTHING IN THE WORLD.

I am still a few kilos off goal but am maintaining my weight easily and this in itself is such a gift.

xxxHuggyBear
Back to top Go down
butterflyfallen
butterflyfallen

Female
Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2011-04-22

PostSubject: Re: DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED?   DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED? EmptyFri 24 Feb 2012, 6:46 am

omg i just wrote a thesis length reply and i accidently hit the back button and it disappeared grr!

This time around, my answer will be much shorter lol - but yes, i do feel deprived.

Alot of ppl seem to be able to eat what they want and rely on the smaller portion sizes to lose weight, but im simply not one of them. My dietician the other day said i need to stick to 800 calories a day, which i simply cant do and am aiming for 1000 which means eating very healthy food. I feel i can eat more than the average sleever so to counteract the slightly larger than the average sleevers size meal, i have to eat less calories in each meal. Which means very healthy and very boring and monotonous. I miss tasty, greasy food. I miss being able to have a pack of m&m's every now and then. If i do, its 1/3rd of my daily calories and then im smothered by guilt. So yes, i feel for those like me whose body doesnt simply react to the smaller portions and need to really watch what they eat and exercise to lose the kils, i do feel deprived and limited in choice. Prime example, i got a taste for the "other side" again at xmas and started picking at naughty foods and consequently i havent lost weight pretty much since xmas because id fallen off the healthy rails. Have only started this week eating healthy again and im hoping the weight starts coming off again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED?   DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED? EmptyFri 24 Feb 2012, 6:32 am

Ok Im sitting here feeling sorry for myself because Im on my pre op Opti and started to wonder...then started to stress... so here goes.

Do you feel deprived after your sleeved?

When I was banded I remember being at my lowest weight and sitting at a table of friends and relatives who were eating drinking and being generally merry. I was the one in the middle with the sour look on my face throwing squinty eyes at them when they werent looking.

Though I loooooooved being thin...I also looooooove food and I missed it.

Now does this go or will I always feel like that person on WW who wants it ....would chew their left elbow off to get it but cant eat it and feel satisfied.

I once said to my husband " I am so bloody miserable and being thin is not worth all this suffering and deprivation.... I think I would rather be fat and be able to eat something nice that I like!"

I got my wish....10 months later band out and gaining weight... still not happy cos now I want to be thin again....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED?   DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED? Empty

Back to top Go down

DO YOU FEEL DEPRIVED?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: