8 posters
AuthorMessage
Kylie enough
Kylie enough

Female
Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2010-10-10

HELP - Advice for a burn needed please. Empty
PostSubject: Re: HELP - Advice for a burn needed please.   HELP - Advice for a burn needed please. EmptyThu 26 Jan 2012, 7:10 pm

HI

My hubby once dropped freshly made coffee from belly button down to the end of the old boy and jewels. It was a good 3rd burns we used malouka honey as at the time we were flooded and couldnt get him to the doctor for 3 days at which time the doctor was amazed as i had taken photos. I put it on my cuts the day after my sleeve and Dr greenslade was fine with it and when i left on the 4th day they had healed.
Back to top Go down
Kate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Kate

Female
Number of posts : 2162
Registration date : 2011-06-23

PostSubject: Re: HELP - Advice for a burn needed please.   HELP - Advice for a burn needed please. EmptyThu 26 Jan 2012, 8:50 am

Thanks for all your help and advice everyone. I didn't get a chance to come back on and post as we have had Grace's(granddaughter) 2nd birthday here today with about 20 people for a BBQ. A friend of Bec's,(daughter) knew the nurse that was on at Casualty this morning and organised for her to go and have it dressed. They cleaned it and and put a dressing on that has to stay on for 7 days. The problem was never waiting at casualty the problem is in Leeton you never get to see a doctor when you go to there. The nurses decide if they need to ring the Dr and you get diagnosed over the phone if your lucky. The reason why we got to Griffith hospital and use a Griffith GP. Thanks again everyone, much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Sholley
Part of the furniture
Sholley

Female
Number of posts : 243
Registration date : 2011-07-10

PostSubject: Re: HELP - Advice for a burn needed please.   HELP - Advice for a burn needed please. EmptyThu 26 Jan 2012, 8:03 am

Kate, definitely go to the Dr or if necessary, to the casualty dept of the hospital. I too live in a smallish country town with the usual weekend problems getting to see someone etc but when I burnt my leg on my bike a couple of years ago, it was a very nasty burn and I ended up at the dr's and had some plastic gel dressing thing put straight on, no creams etc and it took quite a while to heal. Nurses were mostly concerned about infections so my suggestion is hustle her up to the hospital... the wait is better than the alternative of a severe infection. Good luck :)
Back to top Go down
Whisper
Whisper

Female
Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2011-08-03

PostSubject: Re: HELP - Advice for a burn needed please.   HELP - Advice for a burn needed please. EmptyThu 26 Jan 2012, 5:32 am

I suggest anyone who's interested in learning about treatment for burns or first aid in general, check out the St John's Ambulance website. They have a wealth of resources there. I especially recommend them as a training institute for First Aid certification - they do wonderful, wonderful work.

I think it's a wonderful reflection on people on this forum that they are so quick to offer help / advice when it's requested. That's becoming increasingly rare these days. :)

Kate - I apologise that with this post, I have taken your thread off tangent. My best wishes to you and yours.

W.
Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female
Number of posts : 3826
Registration date : 2011-02-22

PostSubject: Re: HELP - Advice for a burn needed please.   HELP - Advice for a burn needed please. EmptyThu 26 Jan 2012, 5:09 am

This burn is an old one!

And it has blistered, the blisters have burst, and now the skin is raw. So, listen to the RN!!!!She is right!
Back to top Go down
Melinda38
Part of the furniture
Melinda38

Female
Number of posts : 441
Registration date : 2011-09-26

PostSubject: Re: HELP - Advice for a burn needed please.   HELP - Advice for a burn needed please. EmptyThu 26 Jan 2012, 2:55 am

As a RN pawpaw cream is what we use on the wards! We also use silvers but kate wouldn't have this in her cupboard. Cold water is ok as well. Kate has already said she can't get to the drs until tomorrow! Therefore we tell pts an antiseptic cream is ok as long as it's not alcohol based. Keeping the burn clean is important as well.
Back to top Go down
Whisper
Whisper

Female
Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2011-08-03

PostSubject: Re: HELP - Advice for a burn needed please.   HELP - Advice for a burn needed please. EmptyThu 26 Jan 2012, 2:30 am

Kate, no creams, no goop, no ointment! And no ice!

COLD WATER ONLY.

Cover with non-adherent dressing if you have one..... if not, cling wrap is an excellent alternative.

Seek medical advice if you think the burn is anything other than superficial - ie, if you think it is deep, or if it's large. At work, we send people to the Dr if a burn is bigger than a 20c piece.

(My source - 14 years experience in OHS / first aid.)
Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female
Number of posts : 3826
Registration date : 2011-02-22

PostSubject: Re: HELP - Advice for a burn needed please.   HELP - Advice for a burn needed please. EmptyThu 26 Jan 2012, 12:55 am

I agree with pawpaw ointment /cream.

Do not cover the wound with anything but gauze taped on three sides (not the bottom) to allow the skin to breathe, and for any 'goop' to escape.

Get her to a Doctor tomorrow, to get an antibiotic. Although I think you will find that an emergency chemist and Doctor will be on call today if you try.

* I just completed my Senior first aid!
Back to top Go down
Melinda38
Part of the furniture
Melinda38

Female
Number of posts : 441
Registration date : 2011-09-26

PostSubject: Re: HELP - Advice for a burn needed please.   HELP - Advice for a burn needed please. EmptyThu 26 Jan 2012, 12:08 am

Kate- have you got any pawpaw cream? If you do layer it does and thick. It will help soothe it and protect it until u can c a Dr tomorrow. If no pawpaw any antiseptic cream will do. I have one here that has an aneasethitc agent in it. Great for burns and I got it from Coles best stuff ever.
Back to top Go down
Kate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Kate

Female

PostSubject: Re: HELP - Advice for a burn needed please.   HELP - Advice for a burn needed please. EmptyWed 25 Jan 2012, 11:10 pm

Thanks Angelpenny but we live in a small country town and due to the public holiday for Australia Day the doctors surgeries are shut. Our local hospital is very small and casualty is a waste of time, you never get to see a doctor. Will try our local GP's surgery tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
angelpenny
angelpenny

Female
Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2011-10-03

PostSubject: Re: HELP - Advice for a burn needed please.   HELP - Advice for a burn needed please. EmptyWed 25 Jan 2012, 10:46 pm

I think she should see a doctor asap and they can prescribe something. We've found flamazine very good. Stopped scarring too.

Good luck
Back to top Go down
Kate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Kate

Female

PostSubject: Re: HELP - Advice for a burn needed please.   HELP - Advice for a burn needed please. EmptyWed 25 Jan 2012, 10:44 pm

Thanks
Back to top Go down
aswan
Part of the furniture
aswan

Female
Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2010-11-03

PostSubject: Re: HELP - Advice for a burn needed please.   HELP - Advice for a burn needed please. EmptyWed 25 Jan 2012, 10:35 pm

OK. Get a clean polybag and stick it on with sellotape or plasters. Kepp an eye and, if it looks in the least infected, see a doc.

Enjoy outdoors - we have snow 10 miles away!
Back to top Go down
Kate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Kate

Female

PostSubject: Re: HELP - Advice for a burn needed please.   HELP - Advice for a burn needed please. EmptyWed 25 Jan 2012, 10:33 pm

Thanks Aswan. Will try but not confident it will stay on. It is quite humid and hot here today and we are outside for the day as it is my granddaughters birthday and we are having a BBQ.
Back to top Go down
aswan
Part of the furniture
aswan

Female
Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2010-11-03

PostSubject: Re: HELP - Advice for a burn needed please.   HELP - Advice for a burn needed please. EmptyWed 25 Jan 2012, 10:26 pm

Cover it with cling film in an effort to avoid infection.
Back to top Go down
Kate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Kate

Female

PostSubject: HELP - Advice for a burn needed please.   HELP - Advice for a burn needed please. EmptyWed 25 Jan 2012, 10:22 pm

My daughter has a burn on her thigh from a motorbike exhaust that she got on Tuesday afternoon. She was told not to put anything on it except a cold face washer or ice (not straight on her skin). It blistered and now has lost that protective layer of skin so it's weeping all the time and obviosly very sore. I am worried about her getting an infection as raw skin is now exposed. The burn is about 5cm long and 2cm wide, what should we put on this. I know there are some nurses on the forum and I would be very grateful if you could please help me out. Thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HELP - Advice for a burn needed please.   HELP - Advice for a burn needed please. Empty

Back to top Go down

HELP - Advice for a burn needed please.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: