AuthorMessage
SassyMummy
Part of the furniture
SassyMummy

Female
Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2010-08-21

thinking about a sleeve or am i wrong to get it done Empty
PostSubject: Re: thinking about a sleeve or am i wrong to get it done   thinking about a sleeve or am i wrong to get it done EmptyFri 27 Jan 2012, 3:04 am

At her stage I was probably regretting it a bit too - when you're not on real foods yet, it seems like a jerk of a thing, and you can't see that it won't be that way forever.

If you want to do it though, you should look into it. Read here, read blogs, etc. I found hearing it from people who've been there was teh most valuable info I could get - I wanted to know how much weight lost over how long (it depends on your starting weight though - the lower you start, you tend to lose less than others who start higher), what I could eat and when, how life had changed since the op, etc.

I'm thrilled with my sleeve. It's been almost 5 months for me, and I'm eating everything. Well, I don't eat everything, but I think I CAN eat just about everything. Some foods I haven't bothered with because I know they'll be too filling and not worth it (like anything with a bread roll). I can eat the tiniest amount of pasta, so pasta dishes aren't worth it (waste of belly space anyway really)... but strangely, it's not that bothersome despite both bread and pasta being my absolute favourite foods ever pre-op. I also don't really crave stuff that much. Occasionally I will crave something, but a bite or two will usually fix that... pre-op I might have wanted to eat an ENTIRE cake or SEVERAL burgers or whatever it was that I was craving. These days I tend to crave other stuff anyway - just then I had some vegemite and cheese on a vita-wheat because I craved vegemite. That was my lunch (along with half tin salmon I had about 1/2 hour ago).

So just read read read... ask questions... and if you think it's for you, why not? Your friend could easily change her tune too - when you're on a restricted diet, it's easy to hate the sleeve IMO.
Back to top Go down
http://randomchickrandomthoughts.blogspot.com/
sassyred
Part of the furniture
sassyred

Female
Number of posts : 657
Registration date : 2011-09-01

PostSubject: Re: thinking about a sleeve or am i wrong to get it done   thinking about a sleeve or am i wrong to get it done EmptyFri 27 Jan 2012, 2:26 am

Darlin you won't be doing it on your own - You'll have all of us supporting you too!!

You have been a very good friend - perhaps now it's time you did something for yourself?

I think if you can stick with Opti for as long as you have you will do well with the sleeve, I agree with Suge that it is a tool - it has to be used right - but now that I am over 3 months it is pretty easy going for me, and I love it. Not everyone will agree, for some it will be hard work, some will lose more than others, some faster than others, and for some the hard work is to maintain their goal weight, which is why it is a good use of time to immerse yourself in this site and read lots - so many different experiences with the sleeve.

Looking forward to hearing more from you :-)
Back to top Go down
jodiemelham

Female
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2012-01-24

PostSubject: Re: thinking about a sleeve or am i wrong to get it done   thinking about a sleeve or am i wrong to get it done EmptyFri 27 Jan 2012, 1:44 am

I have been to all her doc and dietitian appointments. I have been making her meals for her. I have been researching since October so I could understand what my friend was going through. I have even told her family about this forum so they can understand they wernt interested. She also has bipolar and depressed for a couple of years the doctors where hoping operation would make her feel better about herself

I know if i do go ahead with operation I feel like i have to do it on my own.

Going to talk to my local doctor again she was the one that mention it a month ago and ask her has she heard of the Oclinic.
Back to top Go down
mamaraptor
Part of the furniture
mamaraptor

Female
Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2011-11-12

PostSubject: Re: thinking about a sleeve or am i wrong to get it done   thinking about a sleeve or am i wrong to get it done EmptyFri 27 Jan 2012, 1:09 am

Totally your choice but I would HIGHLY recommend reading through this entire forum! I spent hours with these guys before making my decision and let me tell you, best decision i ever made! I started at 105 pre-opti and was sleeved at approx 96kgs. I have seen MANY people who are 70 or 80 kilos also be sleeved! It's not so much about the size of the number as the size of you, your height, the co-morbidities and your general health.

You need to make the choice for YOU based on YOUR gut feelings. Not your friends, family or us - but YOU. We love ya xx
Back to top Go down
leici
Sponsor
leici

Female
Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2010-05-27

PostSubject: Re: thinking about a sleeve or am i wrong to get it done   thinking about a sleeve or am i wrong to get it done EmptyFri 27 Jan 2012, 12:49 am

Hi Jodie,

I'd suggest you talk to your doctors and watch your friend and support her and read lots about the sleeve. Also looking at people's diaries gives you a good idea what to expect.
I have been sleeved 18 months after being obese all my life and would have to say I have a totally new life where food is in it's rightful place- not ruling me anymore!

Make the right decision for you and you alone.
Back to top Go down
Suge
Suge

Male
Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2011-11-08

PostSubject: Re: thinking about a sleeve or am i wrong to get it done   thinking about a sleeve or am i wrong to get it done EmptyThu 26 Jan 2012, 10:53 pm

As has been stated - READ, RESEARCH and ASK QUESTIONS.

Your mind set is the most vital factor - see the sleeve as a tool and not an easy solution. You need to work WITH it to make it work for you.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
sassyred
Part of the furniture
sassyred

Female
Number of posts : 657
Registration date : 2011-09-01

PostSubject: Re: thinking about a sleeve or am i wrong to get it done   thinking about a sleeve or am i wrong to get it done EmptyThu 26 Jan 2012, 9:33 pm

If it is the right course of action for you then GO FOR IT. It is not copying at all. Life is too short not to do what you want, especially cool, life changing, happiness creating stuff like the sleeve!

Your results via Opti are amazing, well done. Great way to be supportive to your friend. I am surprised she can fit in a whole banana, it took me weeks to work up to that. Perhaps pick a different surgeon, lol!

All the very best for your decision!
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: thinking about a sleeve or am i wrong to get it done   thinking about a sleeve or am i wrong to get it done EmptyThu 26 Jan 2012, 8:00 pm

I have a agree, its a little to soon to be judging the sleeve especially in the first month.

I have been sleeved for over 2 years, so plenty of experience living with it. I never had any problems with my sleeve, no complications, no problems eating or drinking, but the first 3 months are a real learning curve.

I love my sleeve, I reached my goal after 8 months, then went on to lose some more. Its a brillant tool, but you have to work with it. I was prepared to make the committment to change my life, I had lots of health issues, all of them now gone. Life is now very normal for me, I am happy and healthy after beening obese and dieting for over 40 years.

Only you can make the decision. Do your research, see the surgeon, etc etc.

Wishing you all the best.

thinking about a sleeve or am i wrong to get it done 217555 thinking about a sleeve or am i wrong to get it done 217555
Back to top Go down
happy sleever

Female
Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2011-12-09

PostSubject: Re: thinking about a sleeve or am i wrong to get it done   thinking about a sleeve or am i wrong to get it done EmptyThu 26 Jan 2012, 10:10 am

Hey Jodie

Like Melinda you need to make your own decision when it comes to the sleeve. Dont let anyone else dictate to you. Your frind had her surgery only recently it really is to soon for her to know whether the sleeve was right for her. I breezed through surgery and recovery but the first month was really tough and I sometimes wondered if I had done the right thing. It takes a while for the brain to catch up with the stomach.
Do your research, read some of the diaries on this forum and some of the experiences people have had. Don't be afraid and make your own decision. Don't let the thought of 'copying' deter you. If you need to talk to someone else feel free to let me know.

Heather
Back to top Go down
Melinda38
Part of the furniture
Melinda38

Female
Number of posts : 441
Registration date : 2011-09-26

PostSubject: Re: thinking about a sleeve or am i wrong to get it done   thinking about a sleeve or am i wrong to get it done EmptyWed 25 Jan 2012, 7:03 am

Hi Jodie
You can only do what is best for you. Do your research & watch your friend. Get the referral and ask the surgeon a million question. No one would see it as copying! At least you'll know what to expect. There are heaps of family and friends who are 'helping' each other through the sleeve. At the end of the day your friend and others will support you.
All the best x
Mel.
Back to top Go down
jodiemelham

Female
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2012-01-24

PostSubject: thinking about a sleeve or am i wrong to get it done   thinking about a sleeve or am i wrong to get it done EmptyWed 25 Jan 2012, 6:57 am

hi
My friend had her sleeve done on the 29-12-11. Had to start optifast in October. I thought i would join her for support and i need to lose weight too or i would have been put on tablets for diabetes. i weighed 112kgs now down to 94kgs

My friend had operation came through it really good eating perfected (maybe to much for my liking eg whole medium banana)

My doctor told be the other day i would qualify for a sleeve too. I have done some research and going to talk to my local doctor again.

My friend told be today not to get it done as i am wasting my money. I think she is regretting it a bit.

Im sick of living on salad optifast and sometimes since October.
Should I get it done or would it be seen as copying her.

sorry if there are spelling mistakes or it doesnt make sense.

jodie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: thinking about a sleeve or am i wrong to get it done   thinking about a sleeve or am i wrong to get it done Empty

Back to top Go down

thinking about a sleeve or am i wrong to get it done
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: