Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeRegisterLog in

Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve?????

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kateh (Bluedog)
Part of the furniture
Kateh (Bluedog)

Female
Number of posts : 1159
Registration date : 2011-10-04

Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve????? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve?????   Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve????? EmptyMon 06 Feb 2012, 7:32 am

G'day healthymum, yes my food bill has at least halved. Hubby works away for 4 weeks at a time so it's just me & my 5 yo but because I was by myself I would be forever raiding the fridge, especially at night time so now there is only the bare essentials in there. No more grazing!! But our diggest saving by far is by not drinking. When hubby was home we would drink heaps but now I hardly drink anything alcoholic & he has cut down too so it's win win!! :)
Back to top Go down
Healthymum
Healthymum

Female
Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve?????   Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve????? EmptySun 05 Feb 2012, 10:48 am

Hey mum of four and little miss cee, can't wait to get down on that shopping (did the last big grocery shop list tonight for out trip to town tomorrow). We only have a little shop next time a week before my sleeve surgery. My DD needs to learn a bit better habits. No more junk snacks, she isn't too bad. She eats celery, cucumber and carrots straight from the fridge, but grazes all day long. The DH is another matter, so told him tonight no more junk food in the house, only when we go to town (once a fortnight). He will feel it, but I have noticed making an effort to have opti, we have less to buy this fortnight so shopping bill is better already.
Back to top Go down
LittleMissCee
Administrator
LittleMissCee

Female
Number of posts : 2103
Registration date : 2010-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve?????   Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve????? EmptySat 04 Feb 2012, 2:28 pm

My grocery bill is tiny...

BUT - I work away for 2 weeks at a time where I don't pay for any food at all... And when I'm home I just buy the bare minimum to get me through the day (ice coffee, yoghurts, etc).. Because when I separated from my partner I moved back in with my parents, sooo.. that means no cooking... YES! Haha.

So yeh, I've gone from spending $200+ a week.. to probably $100 a month. Maybe less.
Back to top Go down
mum of four (bec)
Part of the furniture
mum of four (bec)

Female
Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2011-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve?????   Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve????? EmptyFri 03 Feb 2012, 11:42 pm

I have definitely noticed a difference. Our grocery bill is lower, we eat better quality and variety and my children have also learnt portion control. They are constantly commenting that they are full or have had enough after eating half of what they would usually eat. Success all round!
Back to top Go down
Healthymum
Healthymum

Female

PostSubject: Re: Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve?????   Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve????? EmptyFri 03 Feb 2012, 10:18 pm

Thanks SloJo, can't wait.

We own a cattle property, so luckily meat isn't an issue - even though I won't eat much of it.

Just stopping my partner who is a diabetic from buying crap is the challenge. He still buys chips and all that stuff.

So a better veggie garden (we have 7 different types of friut trees alreay plus grapes and passionfriut vines) should help the budget out.
Back to top Go down
SloJo
Part of the furniture
SloJo

Female
Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2011-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve?????   Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve????? EmptyFri 03 Feb 2012, 11:22 am

Oh I want to start a vege patch now...and just saw it on better homes and gardens too so I am going to harass hubby to build me a garden bed!!!

We save a lot of money on food - pre-sleeve I always bought better cuts of meat, etc. I just ate way too much of it which was the expensive part! Also we used to get a lot of take-aways, now I don't see the point in spending so much money for say a pub meal, when I can only eat 1/20th of it.

Not sure if I'm on my own here, but I still struggle (3 & 1/2 months after sleeve) to remember not to cook huge-mongous meals. So I have to make conscious decisions on quantity when I'm grocery shopping.

My surgeon estimated that the $5000 out of pocket for my op would pay itself back in savings on food after a year. Looking at it now, I would say definitely 2 years later, but even that is awesome!!!

Good luck with your op
Back to top Go down
Healthymum
Healthymum

Female

PostSubject: Re: Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve?????   Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve????? EmptyFri 03 Feb 2012, 6:47 am

Yes I agree leici, we are just sorting out our relatively unused vege patch and putting in more of the things we actually use and some stuff that will be good for me post op, so this will save us a bit more. Definately will be saving money not buying chocolate and diet coke cartons. All good!!!
Back to top Go down
flick
flick

Female
Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2011-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve?????   Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve????? EmptySun 22 Jan 2012, 10:42 pm

If I think about it we are not spending any less at my house.......just about the same really

I am buying better cuts of meat for myself and they are not cheap, but we are not having all the crap that we use to have like everyone else is saying chocolate, chips etc.

I am trying to buy food that have less additives, mainly for my youngest, and sometimes they are at the higher end of the scale

And I have two teenage males and man can they EAT.

So yes I think my food bill is the same
Back to top Go down
leici
Sponsor
leici

Female
Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2010-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve?????   Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve????? EmptySun 22 Jan 2012, 10:17 am

Not to insult anyone but I definitely feel Scottish when I make meals! When I cook just for me I always have enough for dinner and a full meal the next day and another one for lunch at work ( which I generally freeze). Tonight I made chicken schnitzel. A medium sized schnitzel. I cut that in thirds- added potato, carrot, brocolli and a third of a corn cob. Then I sit down and can't finish one of them- so end up having those leftovers also as a snack or freezing the remains!

If I make a bolognaise or soup/ stew -whatever I freeze a LOT of small portions and keep if for ages and alternate with other frozen protein portions and just make fresh vegies to go with it. So not only save on grocery bills but time saving too! I also buy good quality and my butcher now says "You want one small one?" when I ask for different cuts.

I love having a functional vegie garden too as I can go out and pick some spinach and dig a few spuds , pick some cherry tomatoes and there's no wastage from vegies spoiling.
The vitamins etc cost me less than my pre sleeve blood pressure medication and I also shop at the discount chemists.

I do find that I still buy goodies occasionally and then- this is the best thing- forget to eat them!
Back to top Go down
Kate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Kate

Female
Number of posts : 2162
Registration date : 2011-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve?????   Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve????? EmptySun 22 Jan 2012, 2:08 am

Definitely, I am not buying the horrendous amounts of chocolate, chips and soft drink that I used to. The frozen foods aisle gets a rest as well.
Back to top Go down
PiercedMumma08
Top Poster
Top Poster
PiercedMumma08

Female
Number of posts : 1702
Registration date : 2010-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve?????   Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve????? EmptyFri 20 Jan 2012, 11:33 pm

I guess some weeks, yes it is cheaper if we are just focusing on foods. Some weeks are always more expensive with cleaning products!

Im the only small eater in our house so I guess in some aspects, yes as meals last longer so its a better saving there. We dont have take away regularly, but if we do its the cheap pizzas which 2 of them will do us 2 meals! Before I could eat almost a whole Pizza Capers pizza to myself. Bloody hell!

On the other hand like others have said, I do have my specifics protein and good quality things I wont compromise on) that do cost more but I dont care! These include good quality bread, cashews (raw), etc. I dont eat red meat but hubby and child do- so they buy good quality steak.

So I think overall we have saved more- pre sleeve, a meal made with one kilo of meat would do us 2 meals, now a meal with 500gms of meat does us at least 2, if not more for lunches.

So I guess it evens out....

Sorry- didnt really answer the question but just my 2 cents worth!

And thank GOD bananas are back down as we were still buying them at $14 a kilo as we all love our bananas here.
Back to top Go down
FNM
FNM

Female
Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2011-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve?????   Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve????? EmptyFri 20 Jan 2012, 8:16 am

We are saving a lot of money as I prefer to make my own meals now. My husband and I used to eat out and order in A LOT. I also bought lunch everyday (my husband recently commented that my home made lunches look so good that he wants them too)

So despite my 'extravagant' purchases (protein bars & powder, quality vitamins and supplements and the best food I can get my hands on) we are still WAY in front.

We estimate we're at least $150 a week better off.
Back to top Go down
J
Part of the furniture
J

Male
Number of posts : 761
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve?????   Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve????? EmptyFri 20 Jan 2012, 1:44 am

Yeah Gretchen is right..

It's not so much saving at the time when you buy the stuff but its more that things last you alot longer if you portion them out right.

Back to top Go down
Gretchen
Part of the furniture
Gretchen

Female
Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2011-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve?????   Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve????? EmptyFri 20 Jan 2012, 1:00 am

I find that it's cheaper.. for example I'll buy one chicken breast and when I get home I'll cut it up into sleeve size portions and freeze what I'm not using and it will last me ages. I made savoury mince last week and once again freezed in sleeve sized portions and I'm still going at it haha. I'll start a banana and say if I have some banana once a day it could last me 2 to 3 days. Yogurt too I buy the big tub of yogurt and that lasts me forever!! So I think in the long run (depending on what foods you buy yourself) the sleeve can end up saving you lots of money on food =]
Back to top Go down
brooke22
brooke22

Female
Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2011-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve?????   Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve????? EmptyThu 19 Jan 2012, 12:52 pm

I spend less now, but mainly because of the stuff Im not buying for any member of my family anymore.
I used to buy allot of crap: chocolate, biscuits, cakes, processed foods. The biggest killer was the cartons of soft drinks every week. Now that I am not eating any of this stuff, I dont buy it at all so no one is eating. Its saving me allot of money.

Also, Im not eating much.
Before I used to buy big roasts and meat packs because I would eat allot of it myself. But now I just need to get the smaller ones as I eat less then my 6 year old does.
Back to top Go down
Healthymum
Healthymum

Female

PostSubject: Re: Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve?????   Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve????? EmptyThu 19 Jan 2012, 12:41 am

LOL Smurfette, yeah I'm definately willing to spend the left over grocery money on clothes when I get the weight down post op!!!Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve????? 65317

Glad to know what will happen in this area post op. Thanks for replying everyone!
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve?????   Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve????? EmptyThu 19 Jan 2012, 12:03 am

Our grocery bill is way less than it used to be, too.

When DH realised that he'd put on a lot of weight, and as I was eating so little, he began to eat less too. This has made a big difference, as well.

Going out costs us half what it used to - at least. Rarely do we order separate dishes - we just get one main and share it. Or an entree each and maybe do dessert to share.

I get my multivitamins on sale when I can too, and use Swisse. I used to go for the cheaper ones, but feel I'm getting a better result with the Swisse. I have been buying protein shakes and bars lately - but only because I have put on weight over the last year and I'm feeling a bit desperate. Before that, I just used to have a couple of protein bars around, so I could chuck one in my handbag when going out - just in case there wasn't a good food choice around when I got hungry. So recently we've had to add these to the costs, but the first 3 years or so, it was just the occasional bar.

For those of you who are using protein shakes and/or bars, and for your multivitamins, try going to the online chemists - sometimes they do free postage for orders over $75 or something like that, and you can get a couple of months' supplies for heaps cheaper than the local chemists.
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve?????   Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve????? EmptyWed 18 Jan 2012, 10:41 pm

I live alone, and budget $100 a fortnight for my groceries, and this is usually spot on!

Vitamins, I only take 2 per week (as per dieticians instructions). My last box of 50 cost me $15 on special, so they will last me 6 months!

Watch out at Woollies they often have good specials on vitamins or shop online at Chemist Warehouse/ePharmacy. You don't have to pay a fortune for multivitamins.

I am over 2 years out and rarely buy protein bars anymore. I get enough protein from the food I eat. If travelling or out of town I may sometimes pick up a bar. I can get them from Coles for $1.59 each with 10 gms of protein.
Back to top Go down
Smurfette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Smurfette

Female
Number of posts : 1272
Registration date : 2010-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve?????   Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve????? EmptyWed 18 Jan 2012, 9:44 pm

In the first seven months our grocery bill was less than half (though only the two of us now). Now, I am buying the better cuts of meat etc as if I can only eat a little I may as well eat the best; so it is now costing less than pre-op; but noticably more the last couple of months. I buy seafood a lot; which is quite expensive here; though what we save on other groceries; I can afford it. My vitimans I buy are expensive; though it is less than half the cost of the medications I had to buy and take; of which I do not need any more. (my asthma has cleared up as well as all the life threatening ones); even my hay fever has improved and the only medication I take now (when in need) other than vitimans. What I have saved earlier on in groceries I more than made up for in buying new clothes; as I am generally under my goal weight and trying to get to my dream weight; the clothes are not so much of an issue now; since the food bill has gone up again.
Back to top Go down
CareBear
Part of the furniture
CareBear

Female
Number of posts : 354
Registration date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve?????   Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve????? EmptyWed 18 Jan 2012, 9:33 pm

I haven't noticed much difference as I too now go quality (and convenience) I.e buy higher grade and leaner cuts of meet, smaller portions/ packages of items e.g nuts, yoghurts, cheese etc rather than bulk buying. I also indulge in more berries, cheeses and wholegrain cerea (e.g quinoa, lsa mixes), protein, breads etc. These options are more expensive. It is definitely cheaper if/ when we eat out at a restaurant I usually share my partner's entree and main. Or I will only have an entree for main meal.
Back to top Go down
Healthymum
Healthymum

Female

PostSubject: Re: Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve?????   Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve????? EmptyWed 18 Jan 2012, 9:28 pm

Ok thanks for the heads up Isis, I have done protein shakes before and I agree that healthy food costs more. I am liking the idea of going out not costing as much though. I just need to get my partner to not eat as much - he eats about double to triple what I eat. He always has seconds and thirds. LOL
Back to top Go down
Isis
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve?????   Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve????? EmptyWed 18 Jan 2012, 9:00 pm

I spend more now than I did before, because I have protein bars (at 5 bucks each, not cheap) and vitamin supplements, which are all expensive. I also eat quality food now, whereas before I wouldn't buy things like fancy cheese or deli cuts because of the price. I could spend less than I do by going back to the crap cuts of meat etc, but I choose to do quality whereas before I did quantity.
Back to top Go down
Healthymum
Healthymum

Female

PostSubject: Re: Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve?????   Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve????? EmptyWed 18 Jan 2012, 8:46 pm

Thats great news - I've been so used to spending lots on food (family of big eaters). It will be great and unusual to save money in this area.
Back to top Go down
Asimov
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 360
Registration date : 2011-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve?????   Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve????? EmptyWed 18 Jan 2012, 8:44 pm

I definately save money at the checkout and also when we go out - it's always two for one night for us!
Back to top Go down
Healthymum
Healthymum

Female

PostSubject: Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve?????   Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve????? EmptyWed 18 Jan 2012, 8:18 pm

Just a query, I am having my sleeve on the 2nd April - YAY!!!! and was wondering if you sleevers have saved much on the weekly grocery bill, or is it about the same with all the protein powders and multivitamins etc??
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve?????   Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve????? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do you save much on grocery bill post sleeve?????
Page 1 of 1