Does eating hurt?

Go down 
+2
Kate
Ktk
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Does eating hurt? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does eating hurt?   Does eating hurt? EmptyTue 24 Jan 2012, 10:41 pm

Hi Kate

I am guilty of both vomitting and pain. I say 'guilty' because it is definitely my fault. I have some terrible old habits like bolting my food down. I really have to pause between mouthfuls, especially after the first one. My stomach seems to need some warning that food is coming down. it is so tempting to take a swig of water to wash the food in, but DON'T DO IT. The pain is excrutiating. Just be very patient and wait between mouthfuls. After the first 2 mouthfuls are safely in, I seem to be able to speed up a little. I don't find overeating a problem at all. Your stomach just tells you to stop and it is almost impossible for me to eat another mouthful. I think you are going to be fine. You've had tons of practice with your band, this will be a sinch

Alex
Back to top Go down
Ktk
Part of the furniture
Ktk

Female
Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2012-01-17

Does eating hurt? Empty
PostSubject: Awesome   Does eating hurt? EmptyWed 18 Jan 2012, 10:59 pm

Thanks all! Sounds perfect!
Back to top Go down
CareBear
Part of the furniture
CareBear

Female
Number of posts : 354
Registration date : 2011-07-24

Does eating hurt? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does eating hurt?   Does eating hurt? EmptyWed 18 Jan 2012, 10:56 pm

Experience / practice with the band is helpful in transition to to life with a sleeve. You will have the basics down pact I.e chew chew chew, small meals, eat slowly, mindfulness of what your tummy is telling you, no fluids with meals I have found the sleeve a huge relief. As mandi described any discomfort is temporary and is not a constant every meal. I am really enjoying the greater variety of foods I can eat since the band has been removed. I have not vomited once and can eat comfortably in public without looking for the nearest loo. Loving my sleeve!
Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female
Number of posts : 3826
Registration date : 2011-02-22

Does eating hurt? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does eating hurt?   Does eating hurt? EmptyWed 18 Jan 2012, 10:27 pm

Had severe pain ONCE about three weeks out when I tried to eat scrambled egg.

I was stupid, and took things too quickly, as I was only supposed to eat soft mushies at that stage. Apparently eggs are quite hard to digest for some people in the early stages!

Now, I am fine. If I listen to my body, and recognise the 'full' signal, I never have a problem.

Life is normal. I eat anything I like, now!
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

Does eating hurt? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does eating hurt?   Does eating hurt? EmptyWed 18 Jan 2012, 10:14 pm

The only time I have had pain with my sleeve is when I overeat! You won't do that too often, its not nice!!

Kate is right, you have to listen to your new tummy, its a bit of trial and error in the beginning, and we are all different, no one journey will be the same. I have had no nausea or vomiting since I have been sleeved. I just followed my dieticians advice to the guidelines and had a pretty easy journey.

I am over 2 years out now, and lifes so normal. Things you will always have to do with your sleeve is eat slowly and chew really well. It becomes second nature after a while, no scoffing your food anymore. I find the chewing really well, slows my eating down anyway.

Wishing you all the best.
Back to top Go down
Ktk
Part of the furniture
Ktk

Female

Does eating hurt? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does eating hurt?   Does eating hurt? EmptyWed 18 Jan 2012, 12:58 pm

Thankyou both for that. Needed to hear both of you!

Kate I will remember the cordial for sure! Wish I had had someone to tell me a few things in 2005 when i had the band and then was just sent out on my own with it and all the problems!

Mandi, i cant tell u how comforting your story is to me! I have worried that i would have similar issues with the sleeve. Hearing how well your doing now finally gives me peace of mind I made the right choice.

Ahhh now I can breath!

Kate
Back to top Go down
mandi5508
Part of the furniture
mandi5508

Female
Number of posts : 446
Registration date : 2011-04-05

Does eating hurt? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does eating hurt?   Does eating hurt? EmptyWed 18 Jan 2012, 12:48 pm

Hi Kate, I used to have a band and had no end of problems, I had a sleeve 13 days ago, so far I have had no pain while eating but I am still on purees, this experience is totally different to the band, I feel full without discomfort, I always felt uncomfortable with the band.

I'm sure others who have had the band will agree.
Back to top Go down
Kate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Kate

Female
Number of posts : 2162
Registration date : 2011-06-23

Does eating hurt? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does eating hurt?   Does eating hurt? EmptyWed 18 Jan 2012, 12:46 pm

Everyone is different Kate. I was on liquids only for the first 2 weeks, then puree for 2 weeks then soft/mushy food for 4 weeks then back onto a full menu. To start with if I drank too quick it definitely hurt and putting cordial in water is probably the best tip you will ever be given by anyone. It makes water so much easier to drink. I am almost 5 months post op and on occasion I still get pain when I eat but it is usually because I am not concentrating and eating a bit too fast. Just take everything slowly and after being sleeved just because you can move onto the next stage of food doesn't mean you have to if you don't think you are ready. Two days after Xmas all my visitors left and hubby went away for 5 days and while I didn't over eat at Xmas I ate more often than I usually do so I found going back to soft/mushy food for a couple of days really helped. Take everything at your own pace and just because something works for one person doesn't mean it is the best thing for you. Listen to your new tummy and and be guided by it's reaction to what you are eating. Good luck with everything.

Kate
Back to top Go down
Ktk
Part of the furniture
Ktk

Female

Does eating hurt? Empty
PostSubject: Does eating hurt?   Does eating hurt? EmptyWed 18 Jan 2012, 12:37 pm

Hi there all,

I am getting my sleeve on Valentines day and I previously had a band for 6 years.

I found eating uncomfotable and threw up a lot. Does anyone get these side effects from their sleeve?

KateDoes eating hurt? 697586
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Does eating hurt? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does eating hurt?   Does eating hurt? Empty

Back to top Go down

Does eating hurt?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: