3 posters
AuthorMessage
suzyhomemaker
suzyhomemaker

Female
Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2011-07-19

Super... Centrelink... Finance...?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Super... Centrelink... Finance...??   Super... Centrelink... Finance...?? EmptyThu 05 Jan 2012, 9:20 pm

Didles pretty much covered it.

Another option, rather than a loan from an institution, is to get a loan from a friend or family member. You can then apply to APRA to get your super to pay them back. Getting your super isn't guaranteed though. There a lots of lots of positive stories about people getting it, which is wonderful, but just keep in mind that it may not get released.
Back to top Go down
didles
Part of the furniture
didles

Female
Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Super... Centrelink... Finance...??   Super... Centrelink... Finance...?? EmptyWed 04 Jan 2012, 2:11 pm

I had private cover and paid the gap myself so can't help too much with experience but from what I have read you are taking this into you own hands and there may be a chance that funds might not be released. When you apply for funds from your super to repay loans you need to provide hardship so be on a centrelink benefit and get a certain certificate (forgotten name).

If you have gone out and got a loan you have had to show them (the bank etc) that you can afford to pay the loan back and have the financial means to do so, but if you want your super funds to repay that it is not going to go in your favour, I feel, as you have only just got the loan, so you have recently have had the capacity to repay it. So they may see that you can continue to do so. As in you have a job, and it is hard to get super out to repay a family member that has loaned you the money. Super is used if you are defaulting on the loan and you don't have the immediate means to repay and continue to repay the loan in the short term or outright.

I don't want to upset you as I can imagine how excited you are but I would hate for you to get into a bit of difficulty over this. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Steff86

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-01-04

PostSubject: Super... Centrelink... Finance...??   Super... Centrelink... Finance...?? EmptyWed 04 Jan 2012, 1:23 pm

Hi everyone,

This is the first time I've posted so I hope I'm not asking a stupid question...
Today I had my consult with the surgeon and Im hoping to be sleeved in just over 2 weeks... (19th)
I know it may seem a bit rushed, but have been researching this for a long time and I'm ready... Also my family live on the Gold Coast (I live in Syd) and am here until the end of the month and would really like to have it done here so mum can look after me... so am some what time restricted... Otherwise it'll have to wait another 6ish months until I have more leave...

So my question is, I dont have private health and am planning to cover the cost with my super (Australian Super), now I realise under APRA it was a 6 weekish wait for approval, but the centrelink application says "if you're applying to repay borrowed money", etc.... Does that mean you can apply for a medical loan and if approved your Super will repay that loan?

The part hay scares me is they want you to apply for the loan first, what if I'm approved and they reject me? Or they say well you got the loan so you can clearly afford to fund the surgery yourself?

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any words of wisdom would be great...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Super... Centrelink... Finance...??   Super... Centrelink... Finance...?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Super... Centrelink... Finance...??
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Accessing your Superannuation-
Jump to: