Kate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Kate

Female
Number of posts : 2162
Registration date : 2011-06-23

Is this normal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this normal?   Is this normal? EmptySun 01 Jan 2012, 12:55 pm

Hi steevo. I haven't had any complications like you are describing but maybe re-post this as a new topic and you will get some answers that will help you. It may get a little lost under an existing topic. Just a thought. I wish you luck and hope things improve for you soon.

Kate
Back to top Go down
SassyMummy
Part of the furniture
SassyMummy

Female
Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2010-08-21

Is this normal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this normal?   Is this normal? EmptySun 01 Jan 2012, 11:20 am

5 weeks is still pretty early... give it time.

I wasn't supposed to be having breads etc at that stage... and my dietician was really lenient with my food because she felt I was younger and thus would be able to tolerate foods sooner than some of the other sleevers she's dealt with.

What kinds of meats are you trying? Mince with lots of liquid (so gravy, sauces, etc) was pretty much what I was supposed to be on in regards to meat.

I'm 4 months out (nearly) and bread is fine for me, mostly, and so are many meats... but I have to chew really really well, and eat slowly. Also small bites. I can't really do potato that well though, and rice and pasta I can manage, but in TINY TINY amounts, and VERY VERY slowly.

Maybe making some casserole-style dishes with mince instead, or a nice flakey fish with some yummy sauce will help... but def don't be trying chunks of meat anytime soon.
Back to top Go down
http://randomchickrandomthoughts.blogspot.com/
steevo

Male
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-12-30

Is this normal? Empty
PostSubject: New guy.   Is this normal? EmptySat 31 Dec 2011, 6:36 am

hi all. steevo here just had my sleeve done 22/11/11. not doing well though having head problems with it and don't know why. cant seem to eat in mornings and not much at night either. i had a lap band in which corroded its way into my stomach which the doc removed the same time he did the sleeve, i was on the table for 8 hours and was wondering if that was why i mite be having a bad time. is there anyone else out there that's gone or going through a bad time like this.
Back to top Go down
Isis
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2010-10-28

Is this normal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this normal?   Is this normal? EmptyThu 24 Nov 2011, 1:19 am

I was still on soft foods then and I was eating mainly protein with some veges as well (didn't have room for pasta/rice etc, although I do have them now).

I remember eating things like smoked salmon and avocado with soy sauce and ricotta cheese = post-sleeve sushi. Also mince with tomato sauce and veges = spag bol without the spag. I ate a lot of tuna for lunches, particularly those lemon pepper or tomato and basil flavoured cans. Also tomato and zucchini bake with cheese and breadcrumbs on top. Yoghurt, soft cheese, trim milk...I was able to eat scrambled eggs with no trouble too. Basically I could eat anything except dense protein like red meat and chicken breast. THose I began introducing in tiny amounts from 7 weeks onwards.

The time goes by so fast, soon you will hardly remember these early days and their trials. Good luck! :)
Back to top Go down
crisalida
crisalida

Female
Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2011-10-21

Is this normal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this normal?   Is this normal? EmptyThu 24 Nov 2011, 12:01 am

Thank you for your replies, and you have set my mind at ease!

I really should see my dietician again soon. What are some of the things you were eating at 5 weeks post op?
Back to top Go down
Jacko84
Part of the furniture
Jacko84

Male
Number of posts : 694
Registration date : 2011-02-14

Is this normal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this normal?   Is this normal? EmptyWed 23 Nov 2011, 6:36 pm

yeah 5 weeks out is very early on, i definately wasnt trying bread rice or pasta at that stage, i did have a little mash potatoe but since given that up aswell. just give it time.
Back to top Go down
Kate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Kate

Female
Number of posts : 2162
Registration date : 2011-06-23

Is this normal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this normal?   Is this normal? EmptyWed 23 Nov 2011, 6:33 pm

As we say on here so many times that every surgeon has different guidelines for us to follow post op so I don'y know what stage your surgeon has you up to but at 5 weeks post op I was only just coming off purees and starting soft/mushy food. Take things slow and try to take your time when eating a meal. We can't eat even a small meal in 10minutes anymore. Chew whatever it is your eating really really well, even if it's soft and mushy already, and if things don't feel right stick to softer foods for a while.
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

Is this normal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this normal?   Is this normal? EmptyWed 23 Nov 2011, 6:30 pm

Definitely agree with what Michelle and Beck have said.

On a positive note, I am now able to eat anything, bread, pasta, rice, etc etc.
BUT I choose to eat very little pasta and rice if any, as it fills me up to quickly.

If I do have spag. bol its 3/4 meat sauce to 1/4 pasta, same with rice.

I eat my bread toasted, lucky if I eat 4 slices a week.
I eat a good quality dense grain bread, hate white now, tastes like I am eating dough!!

Wishing you all the best, take it slow, we all heal at different rates.

Is this normal? 217555 Is this normal? 217555
Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female
Number of posts : 3826
Registration date : 2011-02-22

Is this normal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this normal?   Is this normal? EmptyWed 23 Nov 2011, 3:38 pm

You will never be able to eat a lot of food at one sitting again. I am 8 months post op, and I still find some foods hard to eat. I cannot eat bread, but I can eat crackers! You slowly reintroduce foods, and apparently it can take up to nine months for your tummy to fully heal.

Try cruskits instead of bread. They are easy to digest for the newly sleeved.
Back to top Go down
Beckstar77
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2011-01-01

Is this normal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this normal?   Is this normal? EmptyWed 23 Nov 2011, 3:17 pm

Everyone is different. Listen to your body. If you tummy is not ready for these foods, then it's not ready. You will eat again!
Nothing wrong with taking it slow.
It gets better but I still have foods I don't eat as much anymore because I don't like the way it sits in my new tummy, like bread and potatoe.
But it's a good thing not to eat much bread and potatoe! Just carbs anyway, lol.
Just take it easy, by my experiences it is normal. My tummy didn't like real food for a ages.
Back to top Go down
crisalida
crisalida

Female
Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2011-10-21

Is this normal? Empty
PostSubject: Is this normal?   Is this normal? EmptyWed 23 Nov 2011, 12:57 pm

I am just wondering how long it takes to heal?

I am not able to tolerate starchy foods like potato or rice, pasta etc.. and I am also struggling with meat and dairy. None of it sets well in my stomach, and in all honesty, for once in my life I don't want to eat and even avoid eating if i can until I am really hungry!

I am only really able to stomach watery soups, ice blocks, and ice cold watery drinks.. is this normal? How long does it take to feel better?

I am 5 weeks post op.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Is this normal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this normal?   Is this normal? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is this normal?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: