mum2jmcnb
7 posters
AuthorMessage
slimdreamer

Female
Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-11-06

struggling with fluids Empty
PostSubject: Re: struggling with fluids   struggling with fluids EmptyThu 17 Nov 2011, 9:32 pm

Hi Mum
I agree, I think you should call Ben and tell Him how your feeling. I had had horrid nausea post-op also but when u get on top of it, you should be able to drink fluids with out vomiting and pain. The other problem is the more dehydrated you get, the more nauseated you get....vicious cycle. I'm 11 days post-op and am feeling more human....can't wait to move on to mushy stage!
Goodluck!
Back to top Go down
bintang
Part of the furniture
bintang

Female
Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2011-07-23

PostSubject: Re: struggling with fluids   struggling with fluids EmptyThu 17 Nov 2011, 9:18 am

Please ring your surgeon ... As mine said clear fluids should always go down ok, if not something could be wrong. Sorry, don't mean to scare you - you may just have lots of swelling but it's better to br safe than sorry!
Keep us poster how you are going. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
mum2jmcnb
mum2jmcnb

Female
Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2011-09-26

PostSubject: Re: struggling with fluids   struggling with fluids EmptyThu 17 Nov 2011, 9:00 am

I have tried the ice blocks today and that seems to be helping a little. At least I'm not so dehydrated now. I have now vomitted several times, and crap! does it hurt! The cordial also appears to be working.

I think I'll have to stick to clear fluids for a bit longer as nothing else will go down without immense pain.

I expected pain and other issues but I never expected to have so much trouble swallowing fuids. At this point in time, I certainly wouldn't be recommending that anyone in their right mind have this done.

Please, someone, tell me it gets better! struggling with fluids 135961
Back to top Go down
Eringirl
Part of the furniture
Eringirl

Female
Number of posts : 633
Registration date : 2011-06-05

PostSubject: Re: struggling with fluids   struggling with fluids EmptyWed 16 Nov 2011, 9:23 pm

hey Chris

i was only in that place a few days back myself.

i was very nauseated in hospital, one day i had 4 different types of anti nausea drugs trying to help. the jist of this is that eventually much against protocol my Doctor allowed me to have very very flat gingerale. all the gas bubbles needed to have escaped first. then i just drank it. initially using a teaspoon at a time. i would take a teaspoon, wait about 10 minutes and then force myself to have another. the ginger in the gingerale has a calming effect on the slightly traumatised tummy from its operation.

nausea is a double edge sword, a tummy that knows its empty will go into spasm and produce nausea as will being dehydrated.

i know it sucks and is really hard to do but take the sip and then do another.

although you probably dont believe it, it really does turn around pretty quickly.

hang in there
Back to top Go down
soulcatcher
Part of the furniture
soulcatcher

Female
Number of posts : 541
Registration date : 2010-09-16

PostSubject: Re: struggling with fluids   struggling with fluids EmptyWed 16 Nov 2011, 7:53 pm

It's apparently something to do with surface water tension - but sometimes water feels like it's got rocks in it. Just add cordial, lemon juice, anything - and it just is sooo much easier.
Don't worry, eventually you can drink normally again. Just expect a few months when you take a big swig, panic, and swallow minute amounts with your eyes huge (which seems quite amusing to others).
Back to top Go down
Kate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Kate

Female
Number of posts : 2162
Registration date : 2011-06-23

PostSubject: Re: struggling with fluids   struggling with fluids EmptyWed 16 Nov 2011, 1:31 pm

I didn't have trouble with water to start with either, lovelyslim, but found at about week 7 or so post op it was getting harder to drink. So then I added some diet cordial and it was so much easier to drink. After about 3 weeks I found straight water was quite easy to drink again. Weird huh?
Back to top Go down
lovelyslim
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 894
Registration date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: struggling with fluids   struggling with fluids EmptyWed 16 Nov 2011, 1:25 pm

I don't have a problem with water Funny enough ........ But when i don't drink enough ... i take the hydro ice blocks from the chemist , they really help .......
Back to top Go down
bintang
Part of the furniture
bintang

Female
Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2011-07-23

PostSubject: Re: struggling with fluids   struggling with fluids EmptyWed 16 Nov 2011, 11:27 am

I found a lemonade icy pole really helped. other than that, my surgeon told me if that I wasn't coping with 'nutritional fluids' that I could stick to clear fluids for a bit. Also, don't be afraid to ask for some nausea meds such as maxalon (sp?)

If water isn't sitting very well, I know a number of people on here swear by adding a small amount of diet cordial.

For me, day 3 & 4 really sucked but it did get better really quickly!!!
Good luck & hope you are feeling better soon.
Back to top Go down
mum2jmcnb
mum2jmcnb

Female
Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2011-09-26

PostSubject: struggling with fluids   struggling with fluids EmptyWed 16 Nov 2011, 10:36 am

Hi guys and gals,

I'm only day 3 post op but I'm really struggling to get any fluids down with feeling extremely nauseasted.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: struggling with fluids   struggling with fluids Empty

Back to top Go down

struggling with fluids
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: