Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet?

Go down 
+18
100%-er
Kazz
amanda O'D
Cherrypie
SassyMummy
LittleMissCee
sassyred
sunnie
Countrygirl_WA
*Lib*
melpaulned
J
Tash
Janette
Isis
gottarhyme
CareBear
Nicole
22 posters
AuthorMessage
Bellshell
Part of the furniture
Bellshell

Female
Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2010-05-28

Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet?   Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet? EmptyWed 27 Jun 2012, 12:31 pm

For me I found the fluids stage the hardest. I was not hungry on the opti and did not cheat once. I would have an opti bar for either lunch or dinner so I was eating something.When I was in the fluid stage the first week was ok, the second I just wanted to chew something. I did end up chewing then spitting it out. I really struggled till I could have a cruskit near the end of my soft food stage.
Back to top Go down
miss kate
miss kate

Female
Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet?   Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet? EmptyWed 27 Jun 2012, 5:12 am

Nicole wrote:
Hi all, I'm on day 6 of opti and due to be sleeved on 8th November. I'm struggling with the opti diet, very hungry and light headed. I'm eating my allowed veggies and drinking plenty. My doctor had told me I will be on a fluids only diet for around 4 weeks post op. I'm just wondering which people found harder? The opti plus veggies or fluids only?

Hello

I too hard the same problem as this and then with major headaches aswell from detoxing, called my Dr's and said that I was putting out more than i was putting in and to add some lean protein to my salads, but i'd call to see what the Dr's say as everyone is different, I was freaking out thinking i had stuffed up and they wouldnt do surgery but as it turns out the surgen what very impressed with me and my liver, recovered well and was out of hospital and having my first small skinny latte in over 3 weeks, oh my gosh it was pure heaven.... but I thought the clear soup in hospital tasted great too lol.

I can't wait to go home to made soups and stuff, staying in a unit for a few days before the drive home. Still having opti but with a babana mixed up in it... it's quite nice!

Good luck with it all everyone we are all fighting the same battles!

xoxoxo
Back to top Go down
Nicole
Nicole

Female
Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet?   Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet? EmptyFri 04 Nov 2011, 3:14 am

Thanx again everyone, it's so good to get so many different people's opinions. Everyone has a different experience and I'm so lucky to be able to learn from you all!
Back to top Go down
Jaime
Part of the furniture
Jaime

Female
Number of posts : 1024
Registration date : 2010-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet?   Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet? EmptyTue 01 Nov 2011, 10:05 am

I didn't find Opti hard, but I kept myself focused and my eyes on the prize. But having said that, in comparison I would say Opti is harder than liquid stage ... you will find you will just cruise on into it all pre op and you'll stop thinking about everything being so strict, like most people do with Opti etc. Good luck on the 8th! xx
Back to top Go down
shorty
shorty

Female
Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet?   Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet? EmptyTue 01 Nov 2011, 7:48 am

def opti harder for me, at least after the op I did not really feel like eating anyways but on opti temptations were so everywhere!! goodluck
Back to top Go down
100%-er
Top Poster
Top Poster
100%-er

Female
Number of posts : 1217
Registration date : 2011-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet?   Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet? EmptyMon 31 Oct 2011, 11:57 am

My surgeon wanted me to continue with Opti for my liquid phase after my op.... I did have one shake a day for the liquid stage, but sooooo needed other tastes, so did have soups etc.
So for me, opti was harder.
Back to top Go down
Kazz
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 479
Registration date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet?   Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet? EmptyMon 31 Oct 2011, 11:31 am

Opti. But then I had to do 6 weeks of it, so hands down for me, 2 weeks of fluids post op was much easier!
Back to top Go down
amanda O'D
Part of the furniture
amanda O'D

Female
Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2010-11-13

PostSubject: Re: Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet?   Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet? EmptyMon 31 Oct 2011, 11:05 am

Hate to say im finding the post op fluids much harder than Opti, i want to be able to chew something and at least with Opti i could have veggies for crunch.

One more week then purees.

smiles

Mandy
Back to top Go down
Cherrypie
Cherrypie

Female
Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2011-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet?   Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet? EmptyMon 31 Oct 2011, 7:06 am

I definitely found Opti harder. I was on fluids for less than a week before progressing to puree. Although I didn't find opti unpleasant to taste, it was just sooo boring and I was hungry a lot of the time. I know a few people who continue on with Opti after the op as a protein source - e.g. a shake or bar once a day, but I hated the Opti experience so much that I just can't face it ever again!
Back to top Go down
SassyMummy
Part of the furniture
SassyMummy

Female
Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2010-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet?   Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet? EmptyMon 31 Oct 2011, 4:34 am

I think they're both too different to really say.

But Opti relies on your will power... eating (or drinking) post-op is difficult, not like starving and having to eat gross opti.

I haven't had opti post-op simply because it's so revolting and I don't have to... lol. But managing to actually get enough fluids in at all was a challenge in the first week post-op. So that side of it was hard... I could feel I needed more liquid than I was getting, but couldn't fit enough in... and it kinda hurt to drink a little.

I guess I'd have to say Opti though - it was much harder because my will-power sucks.
Back to top Go down
http://randomchickrandomthoughts.blogspot.com/
LittleMissCee
Administrator
LittleMissCee

Female
Number of posts : 2103
Registration date : 2010-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet?   Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet? EmptyMon 31 Oct 2011, 3:09 am

I never did opti - so I found post op fluids pretty challenging. But at least you can mix it up with different things post - op.
Back to top Go down
sassyred
Part of the furniture
sassyred

Female
Number of posts : 657
Registration date : 2011-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet?   Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet? EmptyMon 31 Oct 2011, 3:02 am

I'm going against the flow here, but while I found Opti hard (and I didn't cheat) I found fluids harder. I struggled to get my protein in post-op and couldn't stomach opti for a while so I was hungry and I really really wanted to eat / chew something. Once I reached two weeks and moved to purees the hunger went away.
Back to top Go down
Tash
Top Poster
Top Poster
Tash

Female
Number of posts : 1492
Registration date : 2011-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet?   Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet? EmptyMon 31 Oct 2011, 2:39 am

I was sipping my first cuppacino on day 3. LOL!
Back to top Go down
Nicole
Nicole

Female

PostSubject: Re: Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet?   Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet? EmptyMon 31 Oct 2011, 1:23 am

Thanx all, I'm going to hope that majority rules and my post op diet won't be so bad. I am dying for a latte!
Back to top Go down
sunnie
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 422
Registration date : 2011-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet?   Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet? EmptySun 30 Oct 2011, 11:07 am

Definately opti!!! After my op I tried to drink one and just the thought of it made me gag : (

Sunnie xWhich is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet? 842349
Back to top Go down
Countrygirl_WA
Countrygirl_WA

Female
Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2011-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet?   Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet? EmptySun 30 Oct 2011, 10:00 am

Definitely opti! Like others have said, your post op stomach doesn't need much in it to feel satisfied and your options are so much more varied post op eg smoothies, icypoles, soups, powerade, protein shakes etc
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet?   Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet? EmptySun 30 Oct 2011, 9:58 am

Opti. Hands down. 2 and a half years out and I still can't bear the thought of drinking another one. Ever.
Back to top Go down
melpaulned
Part of the furniture
melpaulned

Female
Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2010-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet?   Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet? EmptySun 30 Oct 2011, 9:46 am

Opti!
Back to top Go down
J
Part of the furniture
J

Male
Number of posts : 761
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet?   Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet? EmptySun 30 Oct 2011, 9:16 am

Having Opti is definitely harder.. After surgery you won't feel the urge or want for anything even fluids. Opti phase is easily cheated and many people slip up once or twice depending on how Lin they have to do it for.

Back to top Go down
Tash
Top Poster
Top Poster
Tash

Female
Number of posts : 1492
Registration date : 2011-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet?   Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet? EmptySun 30 Oct 2011, 6:11 am

Opti. Fluids was much easier and better with each passing day! Best of Luck!
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet?   Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet? EmptySun 30 Oct 2011, 5:56 am

Honestly, I didn't have a problem with either.
Back to top Go down
Isis
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet?   Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet? EmptySun 30 Oct 2011, 5:56 am

opti was horrible, cos your stomach is still big and it just doesn't fill you up. I was very light-headed and grumpy on the pre-op diet, but it did get easier after about day 5 and my energy levels improved. Post-op I was never hungry and I could have soup, which was lovely. I was only on fluids for 2 weeks and towards the end I was definitely ready for more substantial things. I really just wanted to chew something!
Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female
Number of posts : 3826
Registration date : 2011-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet?   Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet? EmptySun 30 Oct 2011, 5:54 am

Opti is the hardest thing I have ever done, diet wise. The only benefit as far as I could see was that it was the last EVER diet I will EVER do!

Post operative fluids were not too bad. I found soup and lemonade icy poles got me through it, although I REALLY wanted to bite into something by the second week, and mushies were a godsend!
Back to top Go down
CareBear
Part of the furniture
CareBear

Female
Number of posts : 354
Registration date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet?   Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet? EmptySun 30 Oct 2011, 5:49 am

I found fluids easier, not so hungry and tastier options than you have on OPTI. I was only on fluids for 7 days before transitioning to purees / mushies.
Back to top Go down
Nicole
Nicole

Female

PostSubject: Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet?   Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet? EmptySun 30 Oct 2011, 5:02 am

Hi all, I'm on day 6 of opti and due to be sleeved on 8th November. I'm struggling with the opti diet, very hungry and light headed. I'm eating my allowed veggies and drinking plenty. My doctor had told me I will be on a fluids only diet for around 4 weeks post op. I'm just wondering which people found harder? The opti plus veggies or fluids only?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet?   Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet? Empty

Back to top Go down

Which is harder? Opti or post op fluids diet?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: