Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I'm new & considering becoming a sleever!

Go down 
+6
cartay
lovelyslim
D'Girlz
Emma1989
foober
twistedbydesign
10 posters
AuthorMessage
cartay
Part of the furniture
cartay

Female
Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2010-05-22

I'm new & considering becoming a sleever! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new & considering becoming a sleever!   I'm new & considering becoming a sleever! EmptyWed 14 Sep 2011, 12:51 pm

Good on you for making progress on the journey to the new you. As for whether this is 'cheating' or not ... who cares! If you've tried everything else and you are still struggling, then go for it. You are the one who has to live with the decision, so if you can embrace surgery as a valid tool to weight loss then who cares what anyone else thinks?!

My nan passed away last year - a few months before I had surgery. While clearing out her things I came across a weight-watchers card. She had been struggling with her weight for so much of her adult life, and even at 80 it was obviously something she was desperately trying to manage. Why wait until your 80 to do something about this? At the end of the day the sleeve can offer you a new found freedom. Of course you've got to be prepared to put in some effort, but the effort is nothing compared to the daily struggles I faced as a morbidly obese person just a year ago.

As for who to tell, that's a personal choice. I told anyone and everyone who'd care to listen, and have found that 99% of those around me are supportive. That support has helped me through what I can honestly say has been a rollercoaster ride.

Best of luck.
Back to top Go down
Jaime
Part of the furniture
Jaime

Female
Number of posts : 1024
Registration date : 2010-08-24

PostSubject: Re: I'm new & considering becoming a sleever!   I'm new & considering becoming a sleever! EmptyWed 14 Sep 2011, 12:17 pm

Good on you twisted! He's so lovely. Things are definitely moving along! I'm just down the road from you in Boronia :)
Back to top Go down
twistedbydesign
twistedbydesign

Female
Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2011-09-10

PostSubject: Re: I'm new & considering becoming a sleever!   I'm new & considering becoming a sleever! EmptyWed 14 Sep 2011, 12:04 pm

Got my referral to go see Ian Michell. Booked an appointment which is in about a month. I'm going to take a friend who is like a sister, but she is also highly competitive about our weight, so I was thinking by taking her, she will realize that this is a very serious option for me and she'll get the information for her if she wants to do it too.

My gp advised that my hormone levels indicate I have PCOS. Not interested in having kids, so I'm not devastated, but it makes sense. It's just annoying.

I told my mum and she said, "good for you" in a really nice way so that's a weight off my shoulders. She has been dieting for as long as I can remember and is up & down constantly, but I was worried she would think it was extreme.

Things are moving along!!

I'm out in ringwood, btw...
Back to top Go down
Jaime
Part of the furniture
Jaime

Female
Number of posts : 1024
Registration date : 2010-08-24

PostSubject: Re: I'm new & considering becoming a sleever!   I'm new & considering becoming a sleever! EmptyTue 13 Sep 2011, 4:45 am

Hey twisted, welcome to the forum.

Where in Melbourne are you? There are a bunch of Surgeons from all states in the Surgeons section. I am being sleeved next week by Ian Michell, who is based in Richmond and does his surgery at the Epworth (Richmond). He does hold seminars also. I read somewhere that the Epworth Eastern (Box Hill) has an Obesity clinic now, maybe you could call them and see if they hold any seminars.

Best of luck with your journey, I'm sure you wont regret it :)
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female
Number of posts : 3694
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: I'm new & considering becoming a sleever!   I'm new & considering becoming a sleever! EmptyTue 13 Sep 2011, 3:20 am

Hi,

I am gonna sound like a Nike commercial but

JUST DO IT !!

I finally have a life and wish that I had had this option when I was your age.

As to do people see it as cheating, who gives a rats !!

People will judge you regardless what you do so just ignore them and have a great life just to spite them.

Hugs Gail
Back to top Go down
green stargazer
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 588
Registration date : 2011-03-11

PostSubject: Re: I'm new & considering becoming a sleever!   I'm new & considering becoming a sleever! EmptyTue 13 Sep 2011, 1:09 am

It's hard to know who to tell twisted. Some you thought would support your decision 100% can be negative nellies and others you tell with trepidation shower you with acceptance.

You have to remember that whoever you tell, they will be judging you through their own circumstances. For instance, I have a gorgeous friend who gives me heaps of moral support but she is petrified of when the time comes that I weigh less than she does. I am her "fat" friend and as long as she weighs less than I do than she can justify her own weight issues because in her mind "at least I'm not as fat as" ...

Who cares if people think you've taken the easy way out? They'll never be able to walk a mile in your shoes and you just have to let that go. When you feel like that, come on here and get a reminder of how we all still struggle post op. All of our issues run deep and the sleeve isn't a cure.

I have to say though, I've never had so many family and friends all actively trying to lose weight as they have been this year. Our decisions appear to put a rocket under some bums. The great thing about that is you are less likely to self-sabotage if those around you are also behaving.

My surgeon does both surgeries and explained the differences but I said in no uncertain terms that I was not interested in the Lap Band ... tell me everything about the Sleeve.

No regrets!!

Good luck with your appointment, I hope you get some great information and can weigh up whether or not you want to start this adventure.

I'm new & considering becoming a sleever! 217555

Back to top Go down
twistedbydesign
twistedbydesign

Female

PostSubject: Re: I'm new & considering becoming a sleever!   I'm new & considering becoming a sleever! EmptyTue 13 Sep 2011, 12:30 am

Thanks everyone!! I'm off to my gp today to get a referral.

After reading more and more horror stories about the band, I am pretty certain I don't want to go down that path. I am wondering if any surgeon that does both the sleeve and band try to convince you into the band rather than the sleeve??

Also, I'm a bit filled with panic regarding who I tell. I mentioned to a co-worker who said "you don't NEED surgery, you can do it on your own, it's easy!"

Bleh, if it was easy, no one would be overweight. It has left me quite unsettled and freaked out about telling anyone in my life that this is something I want to do. My husband is okay with it, he thinks it's a bit crazy but has seen me struggle with dieting for so long that he has said he will support me in whatever I do.

Do people see it as cheating? Or do they want you to continue to be overweight? Or do they really not see that dieting can fail some people? Sigh...
Back to top Go down
Bella77
Part of the furniture
Bella77

Female
Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: I'm new & considering becoming a sleever!   I'm new & considering becoming a sleever! EmptyMon 12 Sep 2011, 5:02 pm

Hi twisted

Welcome to the site. I am a newbie too, although I have just returned to the site after a break because this is the best website to get the info and support you need. So you've made a great decision coming here to start your journey...after all what better place to get advice and hear stories about the band or sleeve than from the people that have gone through it.

I can also say like others have that only you can decide which way to go but I can offer advice on my experience. I had a band and for the most part it was great. I lost 34 Kg's was a size 10 but then my band failed. The last 6 months living with it can only be described as hell. I vomitted regulary and toward the end after every meal no matter what I ate. I had severe indegestion and suffered from acid regurgitation. During the last 6 months I had my band filled and unfilled then some put back in then a little taken out etc constantly until even with the littlest amount I could have in there, I still couldnt keep anything down, it had to come out and come out that day.

I still dont regret it and as hellish as the last few months with it was for me I was devestated to lose it, but I cannot even describe the relief I felt after it was out. The minute I woke up in theatre I felt instantly so much better and so much relief...despite I had just had surgery and even despite the vomitting post op I felt so much better. Just proved to me that inside of me, the band was a foriegn object and it had to come out...and my body thanked me for it!

So its 2 years later (I was booked for the sleeve last year but had to post pone and have also had my 2nd baby) I am back to square one as I was when I went to see my surgeon for the very first time for the band. I am hoping to have the sleeve done soon and start all over again.

Whenever someone is debating what to do I always say that again, only they can decide but I feel compelled to tell my story (you can always read it in detail in the diaries section page 23) because my experience really was hellish and I would never ever have a band again or recommend one, when the sleeve is an option. Regardless of my story, everyone is different. I know people that have bands for a long time and still have them with no probs but I do know alot of stories of them going wrong.

I just always say take the time to CONSIDER the sleeve and look into it as well because I know that after what I went through, if I had known more about the sleeve when I had my band done (it wasnt as common then) I wouldnt have had the band. I wouldve done the sleeve and I wouldnt be back to square one now.

Whatever you decide you have to decide what right for you at the time.

Good luck with your journey and keep us posted on how it all goes x
Back to top Go down
cartay
Part of the furniture
cartay

Female
Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: I'm new & considering becoming a sleever!   I'm new & considering becoming a sleever! EmptyMon 12 Sep 2011, 12:23 pm

If you're looking for overwhelming support of the band you've probably come to the wrong place ... most of us on here are PRO-SLEEVE (for obvious reasons!).

As for whether this option is right for you, only you can decide that. I made the decision to finally tackle my long standing issues with weight - so one week before I turned 29 I went in for the sleeve. I was determined to be a healthier weight by the time the dreaded big 3-0 rolled around. I weighed 125kg when I had surgery, and when I celebrated my 30th this year I weighed almost 45kg less than the previous year. It was a decision that was amazingly difficult to make, but one I can now look back on and be proud of.

I hope your journey is one that you too can be proud of. Keep us posted!
Back to top Go down
lovelyslim
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 894
Registration date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: I'm new & considering becoming a sleever!   I'm new & considering becoming a sleever! EmptySun 11 Sep 2011, 2:07 pm

I say ..............Go For It ...................
Back to top Go down
D'Girlz
Top Poster
Top Poster
D'Girlz

Female
Number of posts : 1749
Registration date : 2011-01-09

PostSubject: Re: I'm new & considering becoming a sleever!   I'm new & considering becoming a sleever! EmptySun 11 Sep 2011, 1:59 pm

Welcome Twisted,

I had my sleeve in Feb, and it was the best decision I have made for myself.

You really need to make an informed decision. I agree with what foober said. You will know what feels right for you and your lifestyle!
There are a few melbourneites around for you to question and meet if you need/want to.

Good luck, and if you go ahead, I look forward to following your journey.

Last edited by D'Girlz on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Emma1989
Part of the furniture
Emma1989

Female
Number of posts : 1041
Registration date : 2011-06-15

PostSubject: Re: I'm new & considering becoming a sleever!   I'm new & considering becoming a sleever! EmptySun 11 Sep 2011, 12:07 pm

Hi Penny,

Welcome to the forum! I myself have a band and am getting it removed on Thursday (I'm sick and tired of eating the exact same thing and still being sick all the time!!). I hope to then get the sleeve 3 months later.

Goodluck with your journey!

Emma :)
Back to top Go down
foober

Female
Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2011-07-31

PostSubject: Re: I'm new & considering becoming a sleever!   I'm new & considering becoming a sleever! EmptySun 11 Sep 2011, 4:04 am

Hi twistedbydesign

The decision to go with weightloss surgery can be a hard one. I am booked in and Op in 11 days . All I can tell you is what I did.
1. Found someone who had a band and talked really honestly with them and their partner. ( their lifestyle well really sucked,vomiting a couple of time a week, and their partner wishes she'd take the band out)

2. Found someone who has had the sleeve and did the same - (health benefit,lifestyle good,can manage easily and as she is approaching 60yrs this was a good option i.e no future ops and no vomiting)

3.Went to a surgeon who did lapbands and spoke to them

4. Went to an information evening on weightloss surgery - just happened to be be with a surgeon that in my opinion was pro sleeve so got a whole new lot of info

5. Saw a surgeon that was pro sleeve

6.Discussed with family,balanced up pros and cons

7. Logged onto a bandit site ......now that was an eye opener

8.Logged onto this forum.And wow I got all the info I needed to decide to go with sleeve

9. Decided what I wanted to get out of the surgery

The only thing I would really recommend if you can is find someone you can sit down with who has had the sleeve or band. To be honest the surgeons don't live with the result of and OP. My GP was surprised when I said that I spoke to someone who had the sleeve done..."why did you do that I was asked" because they have had the procedure done . Not even a surgeon can give you the nitty gritties of what to expect.

This site is great the guys and gals here really tell it like it is.

Take your time and all the best with making your final decision.
Back to top Go down
twistedbydesign
twistedbydesign

Female

PostSubject: I'm new & considering becoming a sleever!   I'm new & considering becoming a sleever! EmptySun 11 Sep 2011, 3:28 am

hi group! my name is penny and i'm currently in the process of looking at weight loss surgery. a little background... i've been overweight most of my life and have had enough! i calculated recently that i've lost 100kgs in dieting and am still where i was when i started to diet. it makes me so frustrated and angry.

after reading several articles about how sustained weight loss is almost impossible and spending the last year trying to get weight off (unsuccessfully) before i turned 30, i decided i would start looking at my options.

first, i thought, the BAND! it seemed to be the easiest option, being reversible and quick recovery time. however the more research i did, the more i was turned off it. and did i want it to be reversible? i've been trying to lose weight for 12 years and have managed to get absolutely nowhere.

so, i think i've decided on the sleeve & am looking to do it in the new year. i'm in melbourne and would love to get any recommendations for surgeons. also, it seems there are a lot of information sessions on the band, but not that many for the sleeve? am i just not looking in the right spot?

i am LOVING this board for all the honesty and stories and information! it has been tremendously helpful!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'm new & considering becoming a sleever!   I'm new & considering becoming a sleever! Empty

Back to top Go down

I'm new & considering becoming a sleever!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: