AuthorMessage
Heidi
Part of the furniture
Heidi

Female
Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2010-10-29

Nights in hospital? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nights in hospital?   Nights in hospital? EmptyFri 07 Oct 2011, 3:04 pm

I stayed in for 4 nights... try not to put added pressure on yourself by giving yourself a timeline.

Patients are often kept longer in hospital than anticipated all the time. If I was you I would just leave it at that and say you're staying in on doctors orders if you don't feel comfortable telling everyone.

All the best x

Back to top Go down
100%-er
Top Poster
Top Poster
100%-er

Female
Number of posts : 1217
Registration date : 2011-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Nights in hospital?   Nights in hospital? EmptyFri 07 Oct 2011, 9:23 am

I was home within 48hrs. My surgeon said to allow 3 or 4 days, but I was good to go. I didn't need any pain relief for the op, had no problem sipping, was more than ready to go home.
Back to top Go down
slimmer

Female
Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2010-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Nights in hospital?   Nights in hospital? EmptyFri 07 Oct 2011, 9:05 am

Hi, to now answer my own question, I had four full days and nights in hospital and needed every minute! The first two days I was so sorry for myself and so sore that I could not have coped at home. I was on pain relief every four hours and was struggling to get any drinks at all and wondered why I had done this myself. It was only on day three that I started sipping high protein drinks and saw some real improvement.

While it is wonderful to get home I think if I had come home earlier I would be right back where I started in no time!
Back to top Go down
Shrinky Dink
Shrinky Dink

Female
Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2011-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Nights in hospital?   Nights in hospital? EmptySat 24 Sep 2011, 2:18 pm

My doctor has a standard two night stay and I was very ready to get out of there by then. Everything had gone to plan and I was able to start sipping water the morning after my op the previous afternoon. He warned me about the stages of post surgical swelling, made sure I understood everything, gave me my drugs and let me go 47 hours after I was admitted.

Different strokes for different folks :O)
Back to top Go down
mammabear25
Part of the furniture
mammabear25

Female
Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2011-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Nights in hospital?   Nights in hospital? EmptySat 24 Sep 2011, 4:45 am

My doctor was reluctant for me to go home i pleaded to him...with my hubby on workcover (back injury) and 5 kids i needed to get home...he agreed so it was a 4 night 5 day stay...normally its a 6 night 7 day stay...but he is one that makes sure everything is going smoothly..
Back to top Go down
Jaime
Part of the furniture
Jaime

Female
Number of posts : 1024
Registration date : 2010-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Nights in hospital?   Nights in hospital? EmptyFri 23 Sep 2011, 7:05 am

Ok so now I'm post op, my hospital stay was 4 full days. I was operated on first thing Monday morning and went home Friday morning. My surgeon said he doesn't usually send his patients home so early, but I am doing really well :)
Back to top Go down
Hannah
Part of the furniture
Hannah

Female
Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2010-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Nights in hospital?   Nights in hospital? EmptyWed 21 Sep 2011, 10:01 pm

3 to 4 nights in hospital seems to be the norm. Even though there are only 5 tiny holes there is a fair amount of healing needed on the inside. You need to rest and recover.

I had a hernia repair at the same time and needed 2 weeks off work as the diaphragm area was tender and I needed to have a nana nap every afternoon.

Take Care all.
Christa
Back to top Go down
slimmer

Female
Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2010-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Nights in hospital?   Nights in hospital? EmptyWed 21 Sep 2011, 11:38 am

I spoke with my surgeon this week and he said three nights, possibility four depending on how well I can drink the glass of water. I am really happy with his approach as even though it is slow, his leak rate is almost non-existant.

And no lying required, I do have a hiatia hernia that needs to be fixed!
Back to top Go down
embelly
embelly

Female
Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2011-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Nights in hospital?   Nights in hospital? EmptyWed 21 Sep 2011, 11:34 am

I'm not telling anyone either. My dr said 3 to 4 nights depending on recovery.

My boss knows I'm having surgery, and he casually was trying to ask what I was doing, so I tried to look as uncomfortable as I could and said it was abdominal stuff - that way he thinks it's women's business and will leave me alone!!! It's no ones business.

I'm taking 2 weeks off work, and am starting to wonder if I'll be able to go back sooner. How long did everyone take off?

Back to top Go down
Ryjackmama
Part of the furniture
Ryjackmama

Female
Number of posts : 317
Registration date : 2011-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Nights in hospital?   Nights in hospital? EmptyWed 21 Sep 2011, 10:53 am

Jay Jay, I didn't even consider discharging myself lol, how silly! I'm sure I'll be fine......I'm a student Midwife and have worked with a number of "Nurses" who really should not be allowed to be in the same room as humans, let alone be caring for them! I'm sorry that you copped one of them!
Back to top Go down
Jay Jay

Female
Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2010-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Nights in hospital?   Nights in hospital? EmptyWed 21 Sep 2011, 7:55 am

I was in for one night only. The nurse on the second day was an awful woman and I discharged myself within 24 hours of having the surgery. Im sure that you would only need 2 nights assuming no complications. Was pretty knocked for a week afterwards. Good luck,

Jay Jay
Back to top Go down
Ryjackmama
Part of the furniture
Ryjackmama

Female
Number of posts : 317
Registration date : 2011-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Nights in hospital?   Nights in hospital? EmptyWed 21 Sep 2011, 7:13 am

Hmmm, my surgeon is Michael France at Ashford SA and I have been told 2-3 nights; am hoping it's only 2 as I am travelling 600km, leaving my 2 boys behind and have made an appointment for an MRI late Wednesday afternoon after my surgery (Monday).......Hopefully I'll be fit and healthy (I usually bounce back well after stuff) enough for him to let me go Wednesday! Maybe if I tell him I have my MRI he'll let me go anyway? Might have been better to make it Thursday lol
Back to top Go down
oliviafoster2008

Female
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Nights in hospital?   Nights in hospital? EmptyMon 19 Sep 2011, 11:23 am

Mine took 4 days, but they had told me 3 days. But I also agree with LittleMissCee. All this depends from person to person and as per his/her recovery capacity or ability. I am sure Wolverine would be up the next moment of the surgery.
Back to top Go down
sassyred
Part of the furniture
sassyred

Female
Number of posts : 657
Registration date : 2011-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Nights in hospital?   Nights in hospital? EmptyWed 14 Sep 2011, 11:31 pm

Hi

I had a hysterectomy in 2006 and was supposed to be in for only 2 nights.... they were unable to do it laparascopically so opened me up and I lost lots of blood, needing two transfusions. I was in for 5 nights - probably should have stayed longer but was desparate to go home! Complications are so common, you can pass off a longer stay with that excuse if necessary, and not go into too much detail - it's your business after all! My surgeon has told me it should only be a 2 night stay. Best of luck to you.

Ffion
Back to top Go down
Jaime
Part of the furniture
Jaime

Female
Number of posts : 1024
Registration date : 2010-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Nights in hospital?   Nights in hospital? EmptyWed 14 Sep 2011, 1:21 am

Ian's told me 4 - 5 days. I was hoping I'd be out by 3 ... but going by Emily's post, looks like I'll be in for 4 at least.

Back to top Go down
barbie
Part of the furniture
barbie

Female
Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2011-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Nights in hospital?   Nights in hospital? EmptyTue 13 Sep 2011, 2:24 pm

I saw my surgeon's locum last week and he told me if I didn't want any others to know, just say your having a hiatus hernia as that would explain the eating that you have to do and are in for the same amount of time.

Most of the people at work know now what I am having done, not from me but the boss, as she is also having the GS on the 26Sept. I had asked her not to say anything, but that certainly didn't stop people finding out. Also told a few of my other friends and they also have been very supportive.
Back to top Go down
NutMeg
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 769
Registration date : 2009-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Nights in hospital?   Nights in hospital? EmptyMon 12 Sep 2011, 10:04 am

I was in for 8 nights as I did have a few complications. My stomach went into spasm and that had to be brought under control before I could start drinking.

I told most people that I was getting a hernia repaired.
Back to top Go down
Shazbotzski
Part of the furniture
Shazbotzski

Female
Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2010-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Nights in hospital?   Nights in hospital? EmptyMon 12 Sep 2011, 8:02 am

I was in for three nights, and while I was keen to go home, I really should have stayed one more night, to get a hang of the sipping thing, and keeping it down, then maybe I would not have ended back in hospital a few days later.

Take as long as you need, better that extra day at the start than a whole lotta days later!!
Back to top Go down
cocosnuts
Part of the furniture
cocosnuts

Female
Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2011-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Nights in hospital?   Nights in hospital? EmptyMon 12 Sep 2011, 7:25 am

ill be in for 4 nights.

i have told everyone in my family and all my friends what im having done. they are all supportive. ive heard alot of people say a hiatus hernia because the surgery site and recovery is similar to a sleeve.
Back to top Go down
http://chloereed.blogspot.com/
Kate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Kate

Female
Number of posts : 2162
Registration date : 2011-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Nights in hospital?   Nights in hospital? EmptyMon 12 Sep 2011, 12:12 am

I was in for 4 nights and no way could I have come home after 2 and I didn't have complications. Don't be in a hurry to come home as the Doctors no what is good for you. Listen to their advice and rest up while you can. You don't want to bring on any complications by leaving hospital too early. Just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
amanda O'D
Part of the furniture
amanda O'D

Female
Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2010-11-13

PostSubject: Re: Nights in hospital?   Nights in hospital? EmptySun 11 Sep 2011, 11:06 pm

My Surgeon says minimum of two nights, i'm telling myself because my Op is in the Afternoon i will be in for three.

So fingers crossed i'm hoping it works in on the monday for the Op home on Thursday.

warmly

Mandy
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Nights in hospital?   Nights in hospital? EmptySun 11 Sep 2011, 6:26 pm

slimmer wrote:
Surgeon is Ian Michell, and unfortunately my gall bladder has already been removed or I would use that! Thinking more about it, I think stuff it, they can believe what they want.

I am hoping it is only two nights though as I will miss the kids too much. I don't want them to visit while I am there as they did when I had my gall bladder out a few years ago and it was a nightmare. Not scared of me in hospital, didn't want to go home and I could hear them all the way to the car park!
I had Ian as my surgeon and he had me stay 5 nights. I think that is standard for him; he is the cautious type. My friend was recently done by him and she stayed 4 nights. I did not have any complications except the postop swallow study showed things were pretty tight so he wanted to make sure I could tolerate enough fluid before going home. I had the NG tube for 3 days. 1 drain out day 3 and the other day 5 before going home.
Back to top Go down
Bellshell
Part of the furniture
Bellshell

Female
Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2010-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Nights in hospital?   Nights in hospital? EmptySun 11 Sep 2011, 10:18 am

I stayed in for 3 nights. The way I recoverd I would not have been able to go home after 2 nights. I was still hooked up to a drip and not taking in much drinking much fluid without needing some medication through my drip.

I told alot of people I was having surgery, most people I told the hernia story. I did tell some people the truth and even those people I was sure to tell them that I was not telling everyone the truth and told them the hernia story.
Back to top Go down
Goldie oldie

Female
Number of posts : 192
Registration date : 2011-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Nights in hospital?   Nights in hospital? EmptySun 11 Sep 2011, 9:04 am

Don't bother telling anyone as it is none of their business. I didn't want to tell anyone for fear of failing again as I did with all my other attempts to lose weight.

For those close to me I told them after the operation but only told them about the hiatus hernia discovered during surgery.

I wanted to go home the next day but had to stay two nights but I was fine
Back to top Go down
SassyMummy
Part of the furniture
SassyMummy

Female
Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2010-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Nights in hospital?   Nights in hospital? EmptySun 11 Sep 2011, 8:14 am

You can give whatever lie you want (hiatus hernia is one I've heard as a good one to give), and if they question why it's for so many nights, you can say that you has some complications or your BP rose or you had a fever or whatever, so they kept you in longer to make sure you were alright. There was no way I'd have been allowed home when I was (I was there 3 nights) if my BP was like it was when I was in recovery.

My surgeon said 2-3 nights and yeah, I was in for 3. :)
Back to top Go down
http://randomchickrandomthoughts.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nights in hospital?   Nights in hospital? Empty

Back to top Go down

Nights in hospital?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next