AuthorMessage
Oki Doki Joy
Part of the furniture
Oki Doki Joy

Female
Number of posts : 654
Registration date : 2010-09-04

Drain- How many had one?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drain- How many had one??   Drain- How many had one?? EmptySun 04 Sep 2011, 11:15 am

My surgeon was Doctor Craig Taylor - no oozing, no drain. Don't know about the others...
Back to top Go down
http://www.gastricsleevesupport.com/the-diary-f8/the-big-joyful-
Bellshell
Part of the furniture
Bellshell

Female
Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2010-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Drain- How many had one??   Drain- How many had one?? EmptySun 04 Sep 2011, 10:58 am

No drains for me. No ozzing either.

When I asked my surgeon he said he has only used them once on a patient that had a leak.

Last edited by Bellshell on Sun 04 Sep 2011, 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SassyMummy
Part of the furniture
SassyMummy

Female
Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2010-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Drain- How many had one??   Drain- How many had one?? EmptySun 04 Sep 2011, 9:25 am

Gross... I dunno whether I'll have a drain tomorrow or not but now I feel kinda queasy thinking about it.

Let's hope I can come back post-op and say "No drains here!" lol.
Back to top Go down
http://randomchickrandomthoughts.blogspot.com/
smeggles
smeggles

Female
Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2011-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Drain- How many had one??   Drain- How many had one?? EmptySun 04 Sep 2011, 8:52 am

thanks for all the responses... I asked because when i read up about the op before proceeding with it, i thought it was part of the process. I had also read about people mentioning drains even on this website so i assumed i would have one.
I am more than happy not to have one..... and glad i didn't need one too...I guess i was interested to know how many docs actually use drains but it sounds like most don't..
Back to top Go down
Synna
Part of the furniture
Synna

Female
Number of posts : 436
Location : That twilight space between sleep and consciousness
Registration date : 2010-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Drain- How many had one??   Drain- How many had one?? EmptySun 04 Sep 2011, 2:40 am

Just echoing sleevetwin Kate - Dr Taylor doesn't use drains as far as I know. He does keep you fairly limited on intake of fluids while in hospital. I was often given 1 icecube in a glass and told that's all I could have for the next hour or so (and at other times nurses brought me a whole cup full of ice) - IV fluids are maintained. I guess he doesn't use drains because he's confident in his technique, and because your intake by mouth is so limited.
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Drain- How many had one??   Drain- How many had one?? EmptySun 04 Sep 2011, 12:06 am

meggles wrote:
HI everyone,

After my op i was surprised to notice that i did not have a drain on one of the 5 incisions So when my doctor came around to visit i asked him about it.
He said he found they were more of a nuisance and only necessary in a few. In his opinion he said they were unnecessary and can cause other problems. He did say that his opinion was contrary to 'some' other doctors
I haven't had any issues so far and the plasters i currently have on will come off in about 5/6 days. It suits me not have a drain but i was wondering about what must be happening to the 'ooze' that comes from the wound.
I guess the body reabsorbs it???
Drains are a surgeon's preference, and are one of those things that if you don't need them, you don't need them, but if you do you are glad you had one.

The drain is not for drainage from the incision, so you don't need one at every incision. It is for bleeding, drainage or leaks internally where the stomach was sutured/stapled/glued. Usually you only need about 2 drains for the size of this operative field. Small amounts of fluid are certainly reabsorbed by the body.

I had 2 in for 4-5 days and removed before hospital discharge. No problems with any of them and my wounds healed beautifully. Then again, my surgeon is extra cautious/conservative and also left the nasogastric tube in for 3 or 4 days to ensure there weren't any leaks.
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Drain- How many had one??   Drain- How many had one?? EmptySat 03 Sep 2011, 10:57 pm

None for the sleeve but I think he uses them now. Had one for the tt though - for 3 weeks
Back to top Go down
LAINEY
Part of the furniture
LAINEY

Female
Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Drain- How many had one??   Drain- How many had one?? EmptySat 03 Sep 2011, 3:17 pm

Hiya

I had one drain for mmmmm 24hrs... removed it - no problems.

Also no stitches or staples.... my surgeon used glue.. no wound problems at all..

All good

Elaine
Back to top Go down
100%-er
Top Poster
Top Poster
100%-er

Female
Number of posts : 1217
Registration date : 2011-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Drain- How many had one??   Drain- How many had one?? EmptySat 03 Sep 2011, 1:05 pm

I asked my surgeon before my op, so I knew that I wouldn't have any drains upon waking up.
Back to top Go down
CareBear
Part of the furniture
CareBear

Female
Number of posts : 354
Registration date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Drain- How many had one??   Drain- How many had one?? EmptySat 03 Sep 2011, 12:19 pm

I had a drain in situ for 7 days post op, no problems though. The nurse told me it ran along the staple line of my tummy - it would also help to detect a leak if occurring. She described cases where patients would drink blue Gatorade if they suspected a leak - if the color of the drainage fluid changed color it would confirm suspicion. It was draining up to 200mls a day to start with. I never really asked the surgeon why.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Drain- How many had one??   Drain- How many had one?? EmptySat 03 Sep 2011, 12:14 pm

I didn't have a drain, either.
I had asked the doc beforehand, so no surprise for me
No oozes, either...
Back to top Go down
melpaulned
Part of the furniture
melpaulned

Female
Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2010-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Drain- How many had one??   Drain- How many had one?? EmptySat 03 Sep 2011, 11:50 am

nope no drains here either
Back to top Go down
Kate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Kate

Female
Number of posts : 2162
Registration date : 2011-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Drain- How many had one??   Drain- How many had one?? EmptySat 03 Sep 2011, 11:26 am

My surgeon doesn't use drains either. My plasters are due to come off tomorrow night in preparation for my 2 week post op appointment on Monday. I've had to replace them all at some stage as they started to come off. Nothing was coming out of any of my incisions. I don't think that all incisions necessarily have "ooze" that comes from them. I think it depends on the type of op, where the incisons are and what the surgeon does. I could be wrong though.
Back to top Go down
LittleMissCee
Administrator
LittleMissCee

Female
Number of posts : 2103
Registration date : 2010-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Drain- How many had one??   Drain- How many had one?? EmptySat 03 Sep 2011, 11:05 am

I had 2 drains. I didn't have any drains when I came out of surgery, but I was taken back into surgery with a suspected leak less than 48 hours later & woke up with two in the left side of my stomach.
No idea why I had drains, as I never actually asked!
Back to top Go down
Jacko84
Part of the furniture
Jacko84

Male
Number of posts : 694
Registration date : 2011-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Drain- How many had one??   Drain- How many had one?? EmptySat 03 Sep 2011, 11:00 am

no drain here although i did have one incision get abit infected, stuff ouzed out of it all good now. my surgoun said drain not needed
Back to top Go down
smeggles
smeggles

Female
Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2011-06-21

PostSubject: Drain- How many had one??   Drain- How many had one?? EmptySat 03 Sep 2011, 10:54 am

HI everyone,

After my op i was surprised to notice that i did not have a drain on one of the 5 incisions So when my doctor came around to visit i asked him about it.
He said he found they were more of a nuisance and only necessary in a few. In his opinion he said they were unnecessary and can cause other problems. He did say that his opinion was contrary to 'some' other doctors
I haven't had any issues so far and the plasters i currently have on will come off in about 5/6 days. It suits me not have a drain but i was wondering about what must be happening to the 'ooze' that comes from the wound.
I guess the body reabsorbs it???
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drain- How many had one??   Drain- How many had one?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Drain- How many had one??
Page 1 of 1