AuthorMessage
bintang
Part of the furniture
bintang

Female
Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2011-07-23

Newbie - getting sleeved October 3rd Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie - getting sleeved October 3rd   Newbie - getting sleeved October 3rd EmptyFri 02 Sep 2011, 12:28 pm

Hi LissyD
was just reading your post & not sure if you have already had your band out or not, but I had a band removed earlier this year after having it in for 10 years! I was also told that the pain would be worse, but there was almost no pain at all! I had a hiatus hernia repair and lots of adhesions fixed up at the same time and after the first night was only taking panadol. Took it for a couple of days to be safe but didn't really need it that much. I was expecting lots of shoulder tip pain as I had this with the band & gall bladder removal but didn't even suffer from that this time!

I am getting sleeved on Oct 20 (hopefully - as date isn't confirmed yet) but just wanted to let you know of my experience to hopefully ease the nerves a little.

Good luck on your Weight Loss Journey - hope it all goes smoothly for you.
Back to top Go down
LISSYD
Part of the furniture
LISSYD

Female
Number of posts : 242

PostSubject: Re: Newbie - getting sleeved October 3rd   Newbie - getting sleeved October 3rd EmptyTue 23 Aug 2011, 3:04 pm

True Amber we do over analyse when we face tough choices..add being a mother to the mix and missed antidepressant..=Irrational thoughts but that"s all they are irrational..so don't feel bad It is quiet normal..I don't think think you would be human if you didn't have some sort of fears/worries..your just being a mum! Was just looking at your dates and I could be just going out as your coming in I get done on the 29th and you the 3rd oct and he said because I live 2.5 hours away I will stay 3 nights so we will either cross paths of just miss each other :)You can do it..I am sort of sh%^$#g my self as Dr told me today having the band out is more painful than having the band in and having the sleeve done..I didn't need to hear that Newbie - getting sleeved October 3rd 595690 So monday I will have anxiety plus big time lol..cheers sweet
Back to top Go down
auntyamber
auntyamber

Female
Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2011-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Newbie - getting sleeved October 3rd   Newbie - getting sleeved October 3rd EmptyTue 23 Aug 2011, 2:41 pm

Thanks so much Lissy and Trac, I think I'm just a little hormonal today and when you mix that with forgetting my antidepressents you get a person that over thinks things.

I had a good talk to my mum tonight and she promised that bubba would be fine and reminded me also that if i don't get it done the consequences could be terrible as well so I'm feeling much more at ease.

I really cna't thank you enough for you kind words.
Back to top Go down
LISSYD
Part of the furniture
LISSYD

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie - getting sleeved October 3rd   Newbie - getting sleeved October 3rd EmptyTue 23 Aug 2011, 2:34 pm

Hi Amber it's me again,as I said your not alone..most of us are mothers/fathers..and I think we all have the same fears as you..as I said I have a 16month old son and and it's going to kill me not to be there at night to put him to bed as he is only used of me doing it and my mum will be coming up from VIC to look after him and my 9yrs.. my 16month old hardley know's her so that's another worry..Is he going to cry for me..it's going to break my heart when I have to leave them when I go under..But I keep trying to tell myself..If I keep going at the rate I'm going I will not be here to see them grow up and the chances of that happening are a lot higher than having the surgery to save my life and to give my babies back their mummy..I had my appointment today with Dr Layani and I will be sleeved on the 29th of sep but first the band will be rid of as from monday yippy yay yoo..so I will be a week before you so I can let you know how I go and that might put your mind at ease...you can do this we have to for our babies...xx I know what anxiety can do to you trust me I have lived with it for all my life but medication has helped keep it at bay...I wish we were getting it done around the same time so I could be there for you..but I will be here for you in spirit..take it easy and keep telling your self people are having this done every day and Dr Layani is a great surgeon and does not like to fail..he gives 110% and won't let you down..take care my dear I'm here any time you need to talk xxx(((hugs 4 u)))
Back to top Go down
Trac
Trac

Female
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2011-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Newbie - getting sleeved October 3rd   Newbie - getting sleeved October 3rd EmptyTue 23 Aug 2011, 11:08 am

Hi Amber

Your questions are normal and well founded, I had the same questions and did a lot of research on this site and the net world wide before making my final decision. Correct that research only shows 1% die from the sleeve but when you weigh these up with odds like being struck by a car they are very slim, and we cross the road everyday. Yes at the most extream you can die from a leak, but it would have to go undetected and left untreated and these things are monitored very close. You have to weigh up the pros of a good healty life, being there for your family and having another baby or what would like ahead if you didn't. Your age has nothing to do with the affect your BMI has on your health, anyone in the obese/morbidly obese category put themselves at risk everyday. Ultimately the only person who can make that decision is you, but just remember we are all here to support you, not judge you and if you decide to not to go ahead then you should never feel guilty about the choice you make.

I would definately look at switching my PHI if I was you, I'm with MBF and have coverage. Another thing you may want to consider to help with your headspace is speaking to your GP and asking about the Government's mental health plan, what it does is gives you a certain amount ($80 each visit) towards 10 physchologist appointments a year, part gap is then claimable from medicare and if your PHI covers it you can get even more back.
Back to top Go down
auntyamber
auntyamber

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie - getting sleeved October 3rd   Newbie - getting sleeved October 3rd EmptyTue 23 Aug 2011, 9:50 am

Thanks Everyone for your kind words and welcomes.

Don't know whats going on today, I'm currently sitting here bawling my eyes out terrified that something will go wrong and I'll end up leaving my daughter with no mother.

I don't know how realistic the thoughts of dying are but it scares the crap out of me, do people die from having a sleeve, I know my surgeon puts the risk of a leak at 1%, so if you have a leak do you just end up really sick in hospital ect, I guess I'm just asking do people actually die from leaks.

My BMI is only 42-43 and I'm only 24 so I pressume that would put me in a safer position that say someone in their 60's with a BMI in the late 50's.

I don't know if I'm doing the right thing now Newbie - getting sleeved October 3rd 697586

One of the main reasons for getting the surgery is so that we can have another baby in a few years, but does that mean i'm putting my future child above the one I already have... arghhhhh way too many questions going around my head
Back to top Go down
Emma1989
Part of the furniture
Emma1989

Female
Number of posts : 1041
Registration date : 2011-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Newbie - getting sleeved October 3rd   Newbie - getting sleeved October 3rd EmptyTue 23 Aug 2011, 3:36 am

Hi Amber,

Welcome to the forum, it's a hub of useful information! Goodluck with your surgery!!

Emma :)
Back to top Go down
Jaime
Part of the furniture
Jaime

Female
Number of posts : 1024
Registration date : 2010-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Newbie - getting sleeved October 3rd   Newbie - getting sleeved October 3rd EmptyTue 23 Aug 2011, 3:00 am

Welcome Amber :)

I have a 20 month old and have organised friends to have him while I'm in hospital (I have 100% care and his father isn't in the picture).

I am a little bit iffy but I know he'll be fine. He was palmed off onto my friends a few months ago when I had a 10 day kidney stone attack lol.

Good luck with your surgery, cheers to the NEW you!!! xx
Back to top Go down
shorty
shorty

Female
Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Newbie - getting sleeved October 3rd   Newbie - getting sleeved October 3rd EmptyMon 22 Aug 2011, 11:35 am

hi amber,

Just wanted to let u know u are so not alone. I too have two daughters one of which has had a transplant and I have only left her overnight in ICU where I was not allow to sleep and its the hardest thing to leave ur kids and with the added drepression on top of that. But try think positive we are doing this for our kids and our selves so as we have a long and happy, healhty life together. the rewards will be worth it and our kids will be safe for a few nights with partners I don't have my mother anymore she passed away couple yrs back but having supportive partners and friend will get u though. I try think of the day I soon will confident taking my girls swimming at the local pool nanf playing chasie at the park without being ashamed or embrassed or just avoiding it which means my kids miss out all because of my weight. Stay strong, the few nights will fly by.
Back to top Go down
Eringirl
Part of the furniture
Eringirl

Female
Number of posts : 633
Registration date : 2011-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Newbie - getting sleeved October 3rd   Newbie - getting sleeved October 3rd EmptySat 20 Aug 2011, 10:50 pm

hi there auntyamber

congrats and welcome to this amazing place of info and support.

wishing you all the best in your journey.

Erin
Back to top Go down
LISSYD
Part of the furniture
LISSYD

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie - getting sleeved October 3rd   Newbie - getting sleeved October 3rd EmptySat 20 Aug 2011, 10:10 am

I'm hearing you Amber..thank god for mum's hey..My Mum is coming up from VIC to look after my 2 children and she will also stay down 2 the GC with me so the kids are near as I'm from Toowoomba...plus 2-3 day's in hospital will really sux so having them up each day should cheer me up :) we could even end up in having ours around the same time lol
Back to top Go down
D'Girlz
Top Poster
Top Poster
D'Girlz

Female
Number of posts : 1749
Registration date : 2011-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Newbie - getting sleeved October 3rd   Newbie - getting sleeved October 3rd EmptySat 20 Aug 2011, 2:24 am

Welcome to the site auntyamber!!!

It is such a great place full of great people. There is lots of information in all of the threads. Good luck and I will enjoy watching your journey.
Back to top Go down
auntyamber
auntyamber

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie - getting sleeved October 3rd   Newbie - getting sleeved October 3rd EmptyFri 19 Aug 2011, 1:51 pm

Thanks Lissyd, always nice to know your not alone :-)
my mum is taking a week off work and my husband has two weeks off so they are going to come to the GC with me and stay close o the hospital sobubba can still come visit and by hving both of them there if I need someone with me (for emotional support) the other can still be looking after my little princess.
Dr Layani has told me it's a 2night stay so I'm
really hoping I'll be out after the 2 nights.
My biggest fear is having a leak and ending up in hospital for an extended period of time and not being there for my baby. I think one of my biggest issues is she was in special care for a couple of days after she was born and I still get upset that I coulnt be with her every moment.
I had my gallbladder out hen she was 5months and was able to have her with me
until they took me down for surgery and then she was waiting with my husband in my room when I got back from recovery and stayed with me the entire time after that, Im hoping my recovery is a text book case like after my gall bladder removal so I can get out asap.
Back to top Go down
LISSYD
Part of the furniture
LISSYD

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie - getting sleeved October 3rd   Newbie - getting sleeved October 3rd EmptyFri 19 Aug 2011, 1:19 pm

Hi Amber,great to hear you have made the decision to have the sleeve done..I can understand what your saying..I have a 17month old son and suffer anxiety and depression alot as well so your not alone..Dr Layani is a great surgeon and very caring..I had my Lap-band done by him 4 yrs ago now and I'm seeing him on the 23rd of this month to book in and have band out and then to have a sleeve done asap..It's such a shame you have to travel soooo farNewbie - getting sleeved October 3rd 595690 you poor thing..I can understand you missing your daughter but just think your doing this for her future so she will alway's have her mummy around..It will fly by and you will be back home with her before you know it..Good luck and I will keeping up to date on your progress..take care and I wish you well xx
Back to top Go down
auntyamber
auntyamber

Female

PostSubject: Newbie - getting sleeved October 3rd   Newbie - getting sleeved October 3rd EmptyFri 19 Aug 2011, 11:41 am

Hi All,

My name is Amber and I am 24 years old. The proudest mummy in the world to a beautiful little girl who is 17months and am super lucky to have a wonderfully supportive husband.

We live out in the middle of central Queensland and are travelling 10hours to the Gold Coast for me to be sleeved by Dr Layani. I go back on the 8th of September for my last preop appointment before surgery on October 3rd.

I am currently around 112kg @ 163cm. I have PCOS and had preeclampsia (along with other complications) with my daughter so am getting this surgery not only in hope of losing weight and becomming healthier but also reducing my pcos symptoms and hopefully reducing my chances of another high risk pregnancy 3 or 4 years down the track.

I am quite nervous about everything especially the hospital stay. I have never left my daughter for more than 3 hours (only with my mum or husband) so am extremely anxious about leaving her and how she will cope. Although i'm sure she will cope better than me. I already suffer from depression and anxiety so it is weighing on my mind alot.

I'm loving reading everyones stories and seeing the wonderful pregress everyone has made
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie - getting sleeved October 3rd   Newbie - getting sleeved October 3rd Empty

Back to top Go down

Newbie - getting sleeved October 3rd
Page 1 of 1