shelly25
Top Poster
Top Poster
shelly25

Female
Number of posts : 1776
Registration date : 2009-11-21

Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve    Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve  EmptySun 14 Aug 2011, 5:13 am

I brought some (chocolate)laxatives today as ive eaten too much pizza over the weekend and feel blocked up,ive never had problems before.

When i brought them my son said oh you brought chocolate and he was about to hoe into them until i explained what they were!!

shelly
Back to top Go down
anneg

Female
Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve    Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve  EmptyTue 09 Aug 2011, 11:27 pm

Thanks I will get on to the lentil soup
Back to top Go down
aswan
Part of the furniture
aswan

Female
Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2010-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve    Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve  EmptyTue 09 Aug 2011, 8:15 pm

The daily dose of lentil soup seems to work for me - at least it has so far!
Back to top Go down
anneg

Female

PostSubject: Re: Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve    Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve  EmptyTue 09 Aug 2011, 11:56 am

Thanks for your suggestion
I do take coloxyl and senna I will go back to see the surgeon again
I was told no long term side effects but this is becoming a long term side effect
I drink 2 litres of water daily C&S benifibre all bran prunes but still a problem
so I hope the surgeon has some suggestions he seemed to think it would settle down
but it hasnt
Back to top Go down
MiddleWoman
Part of the furniture
MiddleWoman

Female
Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2010-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve    Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve  EmptyTue 09 Aug 2011, 10:24 am

It sounds like you have been suffering acute constipation - not nice. Did the hospital stay get you back on track at all, or are you back to square one? Has your GP offered any suggestions like Dulcolax, Microlax, etc.? Once the backup is cleared, it is then a matter of maintaining to prevent a relapse.

I have heard that laxatives can cause a 'lazy bowel' if taken too often. It also seems that Benefibre can cause constipation in some people. For long term relief, you could try the Coloxyl-type stool softeners, warm water, psyllium husk (nice mixed into yoghurt) or Metamucil (more expensive than plain psyllium) along with HEAPS of water.

I really hope you can get on top of it, as it can't be very pleasant at all. Best wishes.

MiddleWoman
Back to top Go down
anneg

Female

PostSubject: Re: Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve    Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve  EmptyTue 09 Aug 2011, 9:13 am

Congratulations on the weight loss are you in the older age bracket
I am in my 60s
I do take Benifbre prunes and coloxyl and senna and my concern is that the bowel with
loose tone and I will be dependant on the tablets
Back to top Go down
Jay Jay

Female
Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2010-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve    Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve  EmptyTue 09 Aug 2011, 8:51 am

I am 11 months out and have had bouts of very severe constipation ie not goint to the toilet for five days!! (sorry if too much info). I now take benefibre at least once a day, and always take Coloxyl three tablets at least once a day. Dont take the Coloxyl and Senna if it is a long term solution because the Senna does something to the bowel if you use it all the time, and I think the bowel becomes dependent on it. Ask your chemist or GP. If you are already very constipated you can use the Movicol as a once off treatment to move your bowel and then get started on the regular Benefibre and Coloxyl. Seems to be something that comes and goes and I must say its very unpleasent but feel like it is a smallsacrificeto pay for 44kgs of weightloss. Forgot to mention that the dietician also reccomended pear or prune juice and H2O++++. I dont drink those cause im not a fan but always try to drink plent of water.

Good Luck Jay JAy
Back to top Go down
anneg

Female

PostSubject: Re: Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve    Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve  EmptyTue 09 Aug 2011, 8:37 am

Thank you I have been back to the dietician a few weeks ago
and I am following every thing she said to do
I have heard that some older sleeve people do have this problem for
an extended period of time
For me its now five months post sleeve
I have met one other person who
is now 15 months post sleeve and she still needs help with aperients
fibre water and she is finding it difficult too
She is older too
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve    Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve  EmptyTue 09 Aug 2011, 8:30 am

Maybe a trip back to your dietician to twig your diet.

Back to top Go down
anneg

Female

PostSubject: Re: Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve    Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve  EmptyTue 09 Aug 2011, 2:05 am

Thank you very much I really appreciate the suggestions that I am recieving
it has been a very difficult time and I will purchase the sugar free sweets and
make more lentil soup
has any one still got constipation a long time post sleeve 6 months 1 year or more
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve    Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve  EmptyTue 09 Aug 2011, 1:38 am

Eat some sugar free lollies.. sugar alcohols = explosive!
Back to top Go down
anneg

Female

PostSubject: Re: Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve    Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve  EmptyMon 08 Aug 2011, 11:46 pm

Thank you for that advice re lactolose and lentil soup
do you still have constipation
I do I take two coloxyl and senna each night and benifibre two litres of water
prunes and still have a problem
Back to top Go down
aswan
Part of the furniture
aswan

Female
Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2010-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve    Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve  EmptyMon 08 Aug 2011, 11:16 pm

I rsorted to drastic measures: Lactulose (massive dose), Fibogel (double dose) and copious quantity of lentil soup. Explosive result! Not reccommended.
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve    Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve  EmptyMon 08 Aug 2011, 10:11 pm

Movocol works wonders, but you have to keep increasing the dosage until it works.
I usually use it in conjuction with Coloxyl with Senna.

Touch wood I haven't needed anything the past 9 months.
Back to top Go down
anneg

Female

PostSubject: Re: Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve    Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve  EmptyMon 08 Aug 2011, 1:10 pm

Thank you I was admited to hospital to short stay emergancy for two days because I couldnt open my bowels
it was very very painful
Back to top Go down
PiercedMumma08
Top Poster
Top Poster
PiercedMumma08

Female
Number of posts : 1702
Registration date : 2010-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve    Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve  EmptyMon 08 Aug 2011, 12:17 pm

I had movocol in hospital when i had kidney cancer - it did nothing.

I took Laxettes but be warned- it gives me diarreah too. I still take them regularly as te morphine I am on gives me some constipation and i always go the next day with Laxettes.

I heard Benefibre 'drys out' and I remembr when i took it, it was to help stop constant diarreah as verything was going through me aftert the sleeve.

So good luck but be careful......

Back to top Go down
Pepperhead2u
Pepperhead2u

Female
Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2010-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve    Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve  EmptyMon 08 Aug 2011, 11:02 am

OMG yes!!! Dr said to drink more water - that has helped. Got to the point where a suppository was needed (on 2 occassions)

I use Benfibre daily and DRINK WATER. It's the water that softens things up making it easier to go.

Becareful of what laxatives you use as some suck water from your body - I was told to avoid Movocol (or something spelt like that)
Back to top Go down
anneg

Female

PostSubject: Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve    Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve  EmptyMon 08 Aug 2011, 7:38 am

• Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve  Picture2Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve  Picture2Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve  Picture2Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve  369315
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve    Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve  Empty

Back to top Go down

Has any one had severe constipation post sleeve
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: