4 posters
AuthorMessage
Peta
Peta

Female
Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2011-04-10

Need help with food choices - PLEASE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need help with food choices - PLEASE!   Need help with food choices - PLEASE! EmptySun 31 Jul 2011, 9:56 pm

Thanks Emily, my problem has been that my taste buds changed after the operation. Did yours? Weird!! On my soft stage I made myself mashed potato etc, but the first 2 mouthfuls were disgusting. I was in shock at how different it tasted. I think that may have scared me from eating the things that I love. I didn't want to have negative thoughts about the foods like mash and vegies in case my taste buds did eventually come back.

And, I'm happy to say that they seem to have come back. I have had a great w/e with food since posting this. Seeing what Janette was eating and knowing that that is exactly what I would be eating if not for my taste buds, I thought I would see where they are at. I actually had a chop off a lamb rack that I cooked the family on Sat night as well as a bit of mashed potato and pumkin and some soft steamed vegies. The yoghurt also tastes normal now. I've been having premiums already for lunch, but I got some avocados yesterday to have on them instead of the tomato and cheese for somthing different. It's all finally starting to fall into place hopfully. The first 2 months after the op, for me, have definately not been enjoyable. I see my surgeon again next week so will ask him if it is normal that I'm vomiting after my evening meal. Only managing a few fork fulls, but still too much?? This doesn't happen during the day, only at night. I am stopping with the liquid an hour before the meal as well.

Anyway, thanks again for your encouraging and helpful food ideas.
Back to top Go down
lisagraham
lisagraham

Female
Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2011-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Need help with food choices - PLEASE!   Need help with food choices - PLEASE! EmptySun 31 Jul 2011, 9:55 am

Peta,

Here is what I have been eating. I am now almost 6 weeks post op:

Breaky:

Porridge

Optifast Shake ( I am in love with the coffee one!!) I also mix with Low fat milk and 400mls instead of 200ml as I didnt like the water and it was too think with only 200mls.

Stewed Apples

Lunch:

Cup of chicken noodle soup

Cruskits w' Tuna, Avocardo, Cream cheese, or even just s bit of strawberry jam!!

Scrambled Egg: 1 whole egg and the white of another straight into a non stick pan. keep moving in the pan. Then when cooked I add a little bit of tomato chuckney on the siode of the plate.

Dinner:

Baked Salmon

Thai Snapper

Chow mein

Mashed potato w' brocolli and cauli - all boiled together in chicken stock.

The insides of home made sausage rolls. - The pastry still hurts going down.

Chicken and Cashew Nut with hoikken noodles.

Homemade potato salal

I am a stay at home mum, so I find if I am not keeping myself busy during the day I want to snack. If I do snack it is usually fruit.

I have also found that I want different tastes now that I have been sleeved. So I have been on the net finding different recipes. I cook for my husband and 2 year old son and I just have a tiny taste of everything they are eating.

Good luck with it.

Lisa
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Need help with food choices - PLEASE!   Need help with food choices - PLEASE! EmptySat 30 Jul 2011, 6:28 am

First, stop eating Oreos! They have absolutely no nutritional value and will not help you to achieve your goals.

There are lots of lists online of good protein based meals. I did eat a lot of cruskits, soup, yoghurt, cheese once I started solids. Soup and casseroles were easy to get down and easy to freeze and thaw small portions. Once you can tolerate eggs, a poached egg or little omelet work too. Cheese sticks were a staple early on. Peanut butter with apple slices.

I don't know why you haven't tried veggies, but esp now it's important to get whatever nutrition you can. Protein first, but round off the meal with veggies if you need more.
Back to top Go down
Peta
Peta

Female

PostSubject: Re: Need help with food choices - PLEASE!   Need help with food choices - PLEASE! EmptySat 30 Jul 2011, 5:19 am

Thanks Janette, I just went to the shops and got some lamb cutlet chop things (long skinny ones) to bake in the oven (lamb rack) and got some vegies. I loved my vegies before the op', but haven't tried them since. Don't know why. I also picked up some yogurt and some light cheese and crackers. My tummy seems to be so small. I can't fit a lot in. What you've put there seems pretty self explanatory, I think I just needed to see it typed down by someone else.

If I can get into a routine of having similar foods everyday, then hopfully my stomach will get use to it and I will stop throwing up.

Thanks

Pete x
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Need help with food choices - PLEASE!   Need help with food choices - PLEASE! EmptySat 30 Jul 2011, 4:52 am

Sample meal plan...........

Breakfast:
1-2 weetbix and skim milk
Sachet of porridge made with skim milk
Egg on toast
Baked beans on toast
Lite cheese on toast

Morning and Afternoon Tea:
Yoghurt
Cheese and crackers
Nuts and dried fruit

Lunch
1 slice bread (toasted or not) or 3-4 crackers (vitaweat 9 grains) topped with cheese, cottage cheese, chicken, meat, tuna, salmon, avocado, etc

Dinner
Small serve fish, chicken or lean meat with a few steamed or baked vegies.

Supper:
Small piece of fruit

Hope this is helpful.
Need help with food choices - PLEASE! 217555
Back to top Go down
Peta
Peta

Female

PostSubject: Need help with food choices - PLEASE!   Need help with food choices - PLEASE! EmptySat 30 Jul 2011, 3:48 am

Hi, I'm 8 weeks post op' and I'm struggling to make good food choices. Foods just seem too hard, so I am taking the easy option. I'm wanting to correct this ASAP but I just need to get an idea on food choices that everyone else is making. My taste buds have changed, so things that I use to love don't really make it past my lips.

A normal day for me at the moment is:

Breakfast: Cup of tea

Snack: 1 - 2 small packets of oreo bikkies (I know!!)

Lunch: 2 - 4 premium bikkies with cheese and tomato OR 2 party pies

Snack: packet of oreo bikkies

Dinner: nothing or a couple of mouthfuls of soft meat or mince that I've cooked - then I usually throw it up.

For some reason I throw up a lot at night.

I'm sticking to eating the same things during the day because they seem to agree with me. I'm too scared to try anything else because I don't want to throw up at work. But in saying that, I really do need to improve the quality of food that I'm eating.

Can you guys let me know what foods I should be "trying" especially the protein side of things. The other morning I had a small can of baked beans on a slice of toast, but could only manage about a quarter of the meal. I was bloated.

Tips would be appreciated and perhaps you are eating things that I hadn't even thought of?

Thanks

Peta
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need help with food choices - PLEASE!   Need help with food choices - PLEASE! Empty

Back to top Go down

Need help with food choices - PLEASE!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: