AuthorMessage
AliKat
Part of the furniture
AliKat

Female
Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-07-23

cant stomach water Empty
PostSubject: Re: cant stomach water   cant stomach water EmptyMon 01 Aug 2011, 12:03 pm

It took me a good few months to stomach water again and I used to drink it a lot.

Being so soon after surgery don't worry too much about calories, so if you can drink juice, cordial, coffee, tea, milk (flavoured or plain) go for it. When it came to fruit juice (mainly orange, orange & mango) I drank a 50/50 to water it down ... I have a serious addiction to fruit juice - seriously! Just go with any fluid ... oh yes, broth I forgot to list.

Icepoles or Paddlepops - oh yum! I didn't have the best time post-op and oh they were a joy and as I mentioned - don't or I should say "don't be obsessed or to stressed about calories" ... you have a lot to get used to and just what you can to make life easy for yourself.

You will get there and one thing you will need to sort out is if you like cold or tap/room temperature water ... I used to guzzle cold water but now it feels odd in my belly so room temperature water is good for me now.

Cheers,

Alison.
Back to top Go down
kazmac33
kazmac33

Female
Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2011-06-16

cant stomach water Empty
PostSubject: Re: cant stomach water   cant stomach water EmptyMon 01 Aug 2011, 9:32 am

I drink water with just a touch of cordial. I don't miss soda/soft drink as I was never a fan anyway.
Back to top Go down
wolfpt1

Male
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-07-31

cant stomach water Empty
PostSubject: Re: cant stomach water   cant stomach water EmptySun 31 Jul 2011, 3:06 pm

Hi, i'm 4 weeks post op now and feeling good... Im on nothing but liquids, thats tough but doable. I lost 68 lbs. so far and am so excited. Cant wait to start the gym, doctor recommened 6 weeks before weight lifting, but Walking is a must!!

I Drink 2 things.. Water (need 60oz. daily) and i drink some Apple juice for the taste to mix it up. (Motts Totts apple juice is great, has 50% less sugar) (or reg apple juice just cut the glass 50% apple juice 50% cold water)

As for soda BIG HELL NO!!! (Diet soda included) NOTHING with carbonation in it, very bad for you post op sleeve. the carbonation makes you very gasy and also stretches the stomach. PLEASE stay away from those kind of drinks.
Juice is good for a treat, just try for juices with low sugar.

Hope this helps

Back to top Go down
kazmac33
kazmac33

Female

cant stomach water Empty
PostSubject: Re: cant stomach water   cant stomach water EmptyFri 29 Jul 2011, 11:51 pm

Yay three cheers for gotarhyme!!! and the icy poles!!
Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female
Number of posts : 3826
Registration date : 2011-02-22

cant stomach water Empty
PostSubject: Re: cant stomach water   cant stomach water EmptyFri 29 Jul 2011, 12:22 pm

kazmac33 wrote:
So any information why it makes the difference?>

A HUGE THANKS to whoever suggested the icy poles. I have had three today and they are the best. Will get some more in the shopping tomorrow.

You are welcome! They saved my life too at your stage.
Back to top Go down
comforteater
comforteater

Female
Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2011-07-19

cant stomach water Empty
PostSubject: Re: cant stomach water   cant stomach water EmptyThu 28 Jul 2011, 11:55 am

yeah one week today for both of us wowo.. has gone really fast for me.

thank you all for your replies.. i am having a mixed vegie optifast soup at the moment with extra water... ive never eaten yummy soup without bread before lol..

im still struggling along with my intake doing the best i can... juices go down nice but i am worried that if i drink to much it will hinder my weight loss.... does anyone now if there is a limit? the dietician told me to have whatever i can tolerate ... but surely too much juice isnt a good thing. today i had a powerade which im guessing isnt good either........ oh and some frozen coke ... just a few sips.. gave me the hic ups that will teach me :)
Back to top Go down
wowo0302
wowo0302

Female
Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2011-07-11

cant stomach water Empty
PostSubject: Re: cant stomach water   cant stomach water EmptyThu 28 Jul 2011, 9:56 am

Hi

I also had my surgery on 21/07 and am getting in around 2100 a day. I have found the Dr's suggested diet combined with the diet/recipes in the Knife, Fork and Band book a lifesaver. I do spend the whole day focusing on getting fluid into me but purposefully took three weeks leave so I could make sure I did this as close to 'right' as possible.

I try 250ml at a time and change what I have so I have something to look forward to.

Someone on the forum had recommended Berocca vitamins and I have that as 1 250 ml hit (of course have to wait for the fizz to go),

I also use the Benefibre recommended by the dietician as another 250 ml.

I have one cup of tea a day,

1 V8 250ml popper,

a serve of home made thin soup (thanks Mum)

1 Optifast.

I try and use water to balance the rest but like a lot of others now struggle with drinking it as I find it 'hard' I try apple/pear juice as a substitute. I find this frustrating as I have always liked water and drank it a lot.

In the last two days I have also had smoothies from K, F & B.

I feel like all I do is sip and don't always manage to finish but the Dr's diet wants 2600 ml a day so I soldier on.

I must say I am a little over wet food cant stomach water 68366 and look forward to the next phase, there are some lovely puree recipes in K,F & B and you can have fruche.

Staples out tomorrow I hope it doesn't hurt too much.

Keep up the good work everyone, and thanks to all who had placed tips on here which helped me a lot and still is as today is only my one week anniversary.

from Wowo cant stomach water 63412
Back to top Go down
kazmac33
kazmac33

Female

cant stomach water Empty
PostSubject: Re: cant stomach water   cant stomach water EmptyThu 28 Jul 2011, 4:51 am

So any information why it makes the difference?>

A HUGE THANKS to whoever suggested the icy poles. I have had three today and they are the best. Will get some more in the shopping tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Rebelrocket

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-07-28

cant stomach water Empty
PostSubject: Re: cant stomach water   cant stomach water EmptyThu 28 Jul 2011, 4:20 am

Hello, It has been a year since my operation and I was having trouble drinking water for the longest time. A health food store owner suggested I try raising the PH in my water - and OMG does it help.

I found a product called Eco water, and it is mineral sachets you put in the water and it raised the PH to a higher level.

Good luck
Back to top Go down
comforteater
comforteater

Female

cant stomach water Empty
PostSubject: Re: cant stomach water   cant stomach water EmptyWed 27 Jul 2011, 12:13 pm

hi thanks for the advice. I am still concerned .. i am able to drink the 1500 mls now actually i am doing a little over.. but (sorry to get graphic) my urine is getting darker by the day ..

water on its own is still bad!! I like sucking on ice chips .. can easily drink chicken stock in hot water and just recently found the pear juice with a cup of ice chips dumped in is going down nicely.

I feel fine.. just concerned about the color.. im not sure of the other signs of dehydration but i feel ok so far.
Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female
Number of posts : 3826
Registration date : 2011-02-22

cant stomach water Empty
PostSubject: Re: cant stomach water   cant stomach water EmptyWed 27 Jul 2011, 11:52 am

Lemonade icypoles were my saviour. I swear by them. Sucking on anything icy was the best way for me to get fluid in for those first few weeks.
Back to top Go down
Isis
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2010-10-28

cant stomach water Empty
PostSubject: Re: cant stomach water   cant stomach water EmptyWed 27 Jul 2011, 9:16 am

Definitely try the cordial or lemon etc. I was using diet refresh sachets to make it easier to get down. It does get sooooo much better over time - don't panic! I can now guzzle water just like i could pre-op (provided I haven't eaten recently). Once you get past these early days they will be a distant memory :)

Isis xo
Back to top Go down
kazmac33
kazmac33

Female

cant stomach water Empty
PostSubject: Re: cant stomach water   cant stomach water EmptyWed 27 Jul 2011, 9:10 am

I too am having trouble with the water intake. I understand the statement that it feels like 'rocks' going down. I will try and soften it with a dash of lemon juice and see if this helps. I am certainly relieved I did not have this operation in a Qld summer. I reckon I would be in hospital with dehydration. Think I will try the icy poles too.
Back to top Go down
sunnie
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 422
Registration date : 2011-01-25

cant stomach water Empty
PostSubject: Re: cant stomach water   cant stomach water EmptyWed 27 Jul 2011, 12:46 am

Hi try ginger cordial I got a brand called bickfords it's in a glass bottle from woolies or iga makes the fluids go down so much easier and soothes your tummy as well. It was a lifesaver, in those early few weeks

Sunniecant stomach water 65317
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

cant stomach water Empty
PostSubject: Re: cant stomach water   cant stomach water EmptyTue 26 Jul 2011, 2:16 pm

If you are at all concerned you should go to the docs!
Back to top Go down
comforteater
comforteater

Female

cant stomach water Empty
PostSubject: Re: cant stomach water   cant stomach water EmptyTue 26 Jul 2011, 1:13 pm

im a little concerned because i really am pushing myself and drinking as much as i can.. yet my urine is still quite dark.. (sorry too much info)

I dont know if i am dehydrated too much.. im not having headaches but then again i am still taking regular panadol for pain so maybe thats why?

how do you know if you are too dry? and when does your doctor need to know?

the dietician said not to get thirsty and i am a little but yet drinking sips alllllllll day.. so frustrating.
Im even leaving bits of ice in my mouth and letting them melt to get some extra in.. that seems easier then actually drinking.
What happens if you get too dry and dont go back??

thanks.

cant stomach water 64827
Back to top Go down
soulcatcher
Part of the furniture
soulcatcher

Female
Number of posts : 541
Registration date : 2010-09-16

cant stomach water Empty
PostSubject: Re: cant stomach water   cant stomach water EmptyTue 26 Jul 2011, 12:07 pm

Hi
It's something to do with the surface water tension, but a little cordial or juice is all it needs to soften it up (otherwise it feels like it's got rocks in it). Lots of people liked flavored teas etc.
It gets easier fairly quickly, but it takes a little while to remember not to gulp (you end up swallowing in three little mouthfuls!)
K :-)
Back to top Go down
SloJo
Part of the furniture
SloJo

Female
Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2011-05-23

cant stomach water Empty
PostSubject: Re: cant stomach water   cant stomach water EmptyTue 26 Jul 2011, 11:07 am

Sorry CE this isn't going to help you but I hope your doing well...

This reply is just about water intake, I've read so many people saying that they can't stomach water...just wondering if anyone knows the reason for this? I am a big water drinker, and hoping to have op after Oct 5 and am just curious about it all.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
snowbunny
Part of the furniture
snowbunny

Female
Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2011-06-14

cant stomach water Empty
PostSubject: Re: cant stomach water   cant stomach water EmptyTue 26 Jul 2011, 9:35 am

Water gave me and still gives me heartburn.

When I was pregnant it was the same.

I drank water by the bucketful before surgery, now I can only take tiny sips.

Iced water with HEAPS of ice helps me and I drink through a straw.

A tiny splash of cordial or juice helps, or a slice of lime or lemon.

Maybe try warm/hot water since the broth is OK.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

cant stomach water Empty
PostSubject: Re: cant stomach water   cant stomach water EmptyTue 26 Jul 2011, 8:59 am

What she said!

Also, if you're drinking a litre already, I think that's great - I couldn't get anywhere near that at first.

Be patient, and try lots of different things.

Some people swear by icy poles...

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
sue
Top Poster
Top Poster
sue

Female
Number of posts : 3609
Registration date : 2008-06-15

cant stomach water Empty
PostSubject: Re: cant stomach water   cant stomach water EmptyTue 26 Jul 2011, 8:47 am

HI Ya lot of people cant stomach water in the beginning so they usually add a dash of cordial or juice and then have no problems. Ive neva had a problem with water thank goodness cause drink a fair bit of it good luck

Hugs Sue
Back to top Go down
comforteater
comforteater

Female

cant stomach water Empty
PostSubject: cant stomach water   cant stomach water EmptyTue 26 Jul 2011, 8:32 am

HI

i had my surgery last thurday so five days ago.. and i have been home from the hospital for a day.

i am having trouble with my fluid intake ... still only taking small sips and cant get to my goal each day.. yesterday i did about a litre.

chicken broth goes down probably the best.. shakes take such a long time everything does.. am drinking all day!! and still not getting enough.

my stomach hates water!! feels so harsh and yuck!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

cant stomach water Empty
PostSubject: Re: cant stomach water   cant stomach water Empty

Back to top Go down

cant stomach water
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: