Part of the furniture
MiddleWoman

Female
Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2010-12-17

Operation done Empty
PostSubject: Re: Operation done   Operation done EmptyFri 22 Jul 2011, 5:12 am

Hi kazmac,

Congratulations on getting through all the hard parts so far! Usually, a surgeon will have a preferred dietitian who works closely with him and has a good working knowledge of sleeve requirements. It must have been a big surprise to your doctor that you hadn't seen one! While it was good of your surgeon to give you a quick rundown, this is a specialty area and I think that visiting the dietitian will give you the best chance of longterm success and health. Even one visit would give you much more specific info which is tailored to your needs, rather than the general advice any one of us could give (as well-meaning as we all are!).

Do you have an Enhanced Primary Care (EPC) form from your GP? Could you get one (this is a detailed care plan for anyone with chronic health issues, eg. diabetes, heart risks, etc.)? It would then entitle you to visit the dietitian for a reduced, probably nil cost up to 5 times per year. This is what I do. I know my dietitian's quoted package is expensive, like yours, but I have paid nothing so far, due to having an EPC. I find the visits invaluable. Just a friendly suggestion! Best wishes for a healthier lifestyle!

MiddleWoman
Back to top Go down
kazmac33
kazmac33

Female
Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2011-06-16

Operation done Empty
PostSubject: Re: Operation done   Operation done EmptyThu 21 Jul 2011, 10:30 pm

Thanks Bec that is really good information re the liquids. I will follow that regime. I don't know why the dietician was so expensive. It seemed extortionate to me. Probably because the operation is a private on the doctor and dietician set up fees together most likely. Also I was not given a choice of dieticians either so just seemed a bit like a rort to me. I can probably go to my GP and get a health plan to a dietian if I need one. They have one in their practice. In total my weightloss to be at goal weight is 30kgs. My probelm was what I have been overeating but in saying that eat well. We make all our meals and eat lots of fresh vegetables, meat etc. I don't binge on anything either. ALso I have two girlfriends that have had this operation before and I will pick their brains too.

Thanks again. I really value your info. Cheers Karen
Back to top Go down
mum of four (bec)
Part of the furniture
mum of four (bec)

Female
Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Operation done Empty
PostSubject: Re: Operation done   Operation done EmptyThu 21 Jul 2011, 12:08 pm

My regime was liquids for 3 weeks. 50mls per hour for the first week. 100mls per hr for the second week and then 200mls every two hours. Liquids have to be thin enough to pass through a straw. You can have milk drinks, smoothies, up and go, protein shakes, custard, yoghurt, fruit juice (but not too much), and thin soups.

After that you move onto blended foods and then mushy foods, finally onto soft foods, all these stages take at least a week. There is a lot of information on this forum or look around for another dietician. $400 does seem expensive. I pay $65 per appointment and have to go to 4 appointments in total.

Good Luck!
Back to top Go down
Shazbotzski
Part of the furniture
Shazbotzski

Female
Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Operation done Empty
PostSubject: Re: Operation done   Operation done EmptyThu 21 Jul 2011, 11:38 am

I havent had my op yet, but I have seen surgeon, anaethetist (sorry cant spell), dietician and bariatric nurse, and had to go to a seminar, all before my dr would agree to do it. I would be asking for further info and search this site it is fantastic. Good luck
Back to top Go down
kazmac33
kazmac33

Female
Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2011-06-16

Operation done Empty
PostSubject: Operation done   Operation done EmptyThu 21 Jul 2011, 10:05 am

HI All, have just gotten home from hospital today. Had op on Tuesday afternoon. Have been really disappointed in the lack of pre-op information. bascially none. Was sent home with tablets, nexium and buscupan. Told to take 1 nexium per day and no instructions for the other. Dr said to me that I should have all information from dietician. I told him I did not go and see the dietician as it was only 'recommended' and I thought nearly $400.00 was extremely excessive to pay. He was surprised and I asked him to give me the information I needed for post op. So he said liquids for 2 weeks, shakes, yogurts, custards, soup etc. So I guess this is what I will do. I am struggling to swallow anymore than 30mls and I leave it for about 30 mins and then have some more water or shake. I have managed to drink 1 optislim for the day. Can anyone give me some more advice? Thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Operation done Empty
PostSubject: Re: Operation done   Operation done Empty

Back to top Go down

Operation done
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: