LegallyBrunette

Female
Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-07-20

I'm new - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: I'm new   I'm new - Page 2 EmptyWed 20 Jul 2011, 10:46 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi Guys

I'm brand new to this and live in Auckland. Have decided to go private as was told not sick enough for public system.

Any advice for me? Surgery is booked for 6 Sep.

Biggest question I have is someone talk to me about skin. Is it is bad as I imagine, is it not that bad any thought or comments would be appreciated please.

Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
munderwood

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2011-05-25

I'm new - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new   I'm new - Page 2 EmptyThu 18 Aug 2011, 7:24 am

Hi just read your post on your sleeve. Sorry to hear you had a reaction to your aneasthetic that would have been a pain. Sorry to hear that you are having hunger pains aswell. Are you sure they are hunger pains? Do you feel hungry or was it just rumbling? Only ask as I understand the hormones are removed with the proceedure and for the first 6 or so months it should be hard to feel hungry! Maybe everyone is different though.
Back to top Go down
Newhope

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-08-18

I'm new - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Hi All    I'm new - Page 2 EmptyThu 18 Aug 2011, 6:58 am

I had sleeve done on the 8/8/2011.Have my first post-op check up with nurse tomoro.First week was so intense as I had reaction to anaestetic.Awful first 5 days ever,vomiting,etc.Got better in no time at all and am taking small baby steps in recovery.One month off work is a real bonus.Just a question "I do get kinda hungry(2nd week post-op)..like hunger pangs.Is this normal? Thank you for taking time to reply to my question fellow sleevers!
Back to top Go down
munderwood

Female

I'm new - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new   I'm new - Page 2 EmptySat 06 Aug 2011, 8:35 pm

Meant to say, how is it going on the optifast? I did it for 3 weeks and have the will power of a hungry dog, so imagine my suprise that I stuck to it!
The best motivation I can give you is stick with it and think of your liver! My liver was my motivation. I was damned if I was going to have that OP only to be told my liver was too fatty! Also if you really shrink your liver, less chance of scarring as its not rubbing against the wound (so my DR told me). When I went back for my check up with the bariatric nurse, she couldn't believe how my scars had healed so quickly! So stay motivated and think of your Liver. Good luck,.
Back to top Go down
munderwood

Female

I'm new - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new   I'm new - Page 2 EmptySat 06 Aug 2011, 8:32 pm

Pumpkin is fine, just not other starchy veggies..

I also used to make pumpkin fritters. boil them up in stock. drain and shape into patties and dry fry. Was okay.
Back to top Go down
LegallyBrunette
LegallyBrunette

Female

I'm new - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new   I'm new - Page 2 EmptyMon 01 Aug 2011, 12:49 am

Your allowed pumpkin??? It's on the list of not allowed vege's I thought, I'm only on my first day and i'm hungry :( I'll stick to it though want to have the best outcome.
Back to top Go down
skinnygreyhound
Part of the furniture
skinnygreyhound

Female
Number of posts : 969
Registration date : 2011-04-16

I'm new - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new   I'm new - Page 2 EmptySun 31 Jul 2011, 9:32 am

can't wait to go to the food show!!! free meal!
Im being sleeved in Hastings at Royston Hospital by John Fleishel I get to see my sleeve buddy who is coming to visit me !
Back to top Go down
munderwood

Female

I'm new - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new   I'm new - Page 2 EmptySun 31 Jul 2011, 9:15 am

Where are you having your sleeve done? I had mine done 15th june. Went to the food show today, just for ideas you know. Was hilarious, tried a few teaspoons of different yogurts and bam! I was full! You won't believe the change after you have been sleeved.
Back to top Go down
munderwood

Female

I'm new - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new   I'm new - Page 2 EmptySun 31 Jul 2011, 9:13 am

Pumpkin is allowed as one of the vegetables on the optifast diet. You should try making the soup, really tasty. I also used to roast it with a little spray of olive oil. kept me going. Good luck with your op. As long as you shrink that liver which I'm sure by now you well and truely have, you should be right!
Back to top Go down
skinnygreyhound
Part of the furniture
skinnygreyhound

Female

I'm new - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new   I'm new - Page 2 EmptySun 31 Jul 2011, 9:06 am

Hi I have had three surgery dates! 14 May 26 July and now ( fingers crossed) 9 August
I have a dodgey heart and always have now at 39 my chooks have come home to roost and I needed to lose weight fast I started optifast to prepare for my cardioversion, and then to prepare for surgery and didn't want to come off in-between because it was working for me Every kilo off is a kilo off heart :)
that helps keep me motivated
I havent eaten pumpkin didn't think I was allowed! but I did eat it when on my low carb diet for three weeks- basically I loved on chicken, pumpkin and salad!!
I am really over it now but glad i did it...9 days to go...
Back to top Go down
munderwood

Female

I'm new - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new   I'm new - Page 2 EmptySun 31 Jul 2011, 7:38 am

Whoops. I mean 7 weeks of optifast. I had to do 3 and must admit I stuck to that diet like glue. Must have paid off as my liver was in tip top condition and my healing for scarring has been phenomal. My doctor said when your liver has shrunk it doesn't rub against your scarring, so let your liver be your inspiration!
Back to top Go down
munderwood

Female

I'm new - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new   I'm new - Page 2 EmptySun 31 Jul 2011, 7:35 am

Do you mind me asking why you are on optifast for 9 weeks? I only had to do 3! I used to do the stirfry using fresh ginger and herbs was really tasty or pumpkin soup. 2 cups went a long way!
Back to top Go down
skinnygreyhound
Part of the furniture
skinnygreyhound

Female

I'm new - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new   I'm new - Page 2 EmptySun 31 Jul 2011, 7:15 am

hey a fellow kiwi
i am on week 7 of opti- my advice is drink it cold with ice like a smoothie- avoid chocolate!
and have a bar somewhere in your day so that you can experience chewing
I am now sticking to coffee opti, cappuccino bars, chocolate bars and berry crunch bars
I sometimes have a weeny macdonalds salad at lunch ( 2.90 and great value or 4.90 with a large diet coke!) it makes me feel normal to do something like this!
I like a huge green salad ( lettuce is easy to barely make a cup) a tomato grated carrot, bean sprouts, maybe some mushrooms capsicum whatever salady thing is cheap I have a tablespoon of ww balsamic dressing.
I drink ww jelly! as its yum and again feels like a treat I buy diet coke which I know not everyone agrees with but it makes me feel normal! and when you're surrounded by people eating and drinking it helps to normalize yourself!
I have some baby carrots in the fridge if i feel like blowing it- I also buy sugar free lollies ( don't eat too many or you will explode!!!!) I also buy sugar free gum- again good for chewing
best place to buy opti is ibuy pharmacy online massive saving from your local chemist
I recommend taking vitamins as long term opti has made my hair feel a bit dull and skin dry as
I have also in this journey had three week back eating a very low carb diet....( long story!)
anyway I wish you all the very very best :)) I have 9 sleeps to go! but have lost 25 plus kilos which obviously is a big help for my recovery and a big confidence boost.
Back to top Go down
LegallyBrunette
LegallyBrunette

Female

I'm new - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new   I'm new - Page 2 EmptySun 31 Jul 2011, 6:53 am

Hi Guys

I work in an office job so mostly sit down but have acutally asked for 2-3 weeks after reading some posts etc I don't want to go back before I'm ready.

I start optifast tomorrow! I will be doing it for 5 weeks so am nervous about starting but think I am in the right frame of mind.

With the optifast any good recipie ideas?

thanks for taking the time to reply :)
Back to top Go down
munderwood

Female

I'm new - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Tips   I'm new - Page 2 EmptyThu 28 Jul 2011, 7:32 am

Hi. Like Kiwichick, I had my sleeve done in June. I took a total of just under 4 weeks off. I guess recovery is an individual thing. Takes longer for some and hardly any time for others. I was up walking around on the day aswell. I also started walking after a few days, just baby steps mind.
The best thing I can recommend is to STICK to the optifast diet. You will see the difference if you do. I.e scar heals faster aswell due to liver not rubbing against the wound. Also start walking before the op. Just take time to heal!
Back to top Go down
kiwichick

Female
Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2010-05-16

I'm new - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new   I'm new - Page 2 EmptyThu 21 Jul 2011, 1:11 pm

Richard was my surgeon too.

I had NO pain after surgery, felt a little discomfort but no pain, I was up and walking up and down the ward in less than 24 hours after surgery.

My 1st month has been a little rocky but only because of complications from previous surgeries (not at all because of the sleeve)

I am currently also experiencing a plateau and have been for 3 weeks, dietitian is not worried about the plateau, advised that it is totally normal.

What kind of work do you do? I had 3 weeks off work and I needed it - but I was in in hospital for 4 days and then struggled with the issues so it took extra time to get my eating and drinking sorted. I also have a desk job - if I had an active job I would not have been ready to go back to work. This is different for everybody - so you maybe all good after a week

Are you public or private?

If there is anything specific you would like to know just ask I'm new - Page 2 542174
Back to top Go down
LegallyBrunette
LegallyBrunette

Female

I'm new - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new   I'm new - Page 2 EmptyWed 20 Jul 2011, 9:21 pm

Hi :)

I'm pretty excited about the surgery nervous a little, my surgeon is Richard Babor at Ascot in Newmarket/Epsom

I have the app with dietician next week for optifast diet.

How's your first month been? Any tips you can give, I have only taken just over a week off work, do you think that's long enough?
Back to top Go down
kiwichick

Female
Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2010-05-16

I'm new - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new   I'm new - Page 2 EmptyWed 20 Jul 2011, 5:14 pm

Welcome, not too long to wait for September!! Who is your surgeon?

I only had surgery a month ago so I can't answer about the skin yet!!
Back to top Go down
LegallyBrunette
LegallyBrunette

Female

I'm new - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: I'm new   I'm new - Page 2 EmptyWed 20 Jul 2011, 10:46 am

Hi Guys

I'm brand new to this and live in Auckland. Have decided to go private as was told not sick enough for public system.

Any advice for me? Surgery is booked for 6 Sep.

Biggest question I have is someone talk to me about skin. Is it is bad as I imagine, is it not that bad any thought or comments would be appreciated please.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

I'm new - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new   I'm new - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

I'm new
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Sleevers Around the World :: Global Sleevers :: Sleevers New Zealand-
Jump to: