chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Worried I am not getting in enough.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worried I am not getting in enough..   Worried I am not getting in enough.. EmptySun 17 Jul 2011, 11:10 pm

Hey, Allure, that's great news - that's a litre of fluids, which is great for you just now.
Remember you haven't put much into your body lately, so there won't be much to come out. 5 days is a lot, though, so benefibre and drinking as much as possible should help. If it goes much longer, though, you might have to take further action...
I was pretty uncomfortable lying down in some positions for the first few weeks, but others don't seem to have much problem. I guess it depends on your position - find one that is most comfortable, and try and work with that, even if it's not your usual.
Good luck - you're doing well.
Back to top Go down
Allure

Female
Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2011-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Worried I am not getting in enough..   Worried I am not getting in enough.. EmptySun 17 Jul 2011, 9:38 pm

Thanks girls!

Yesterday I managed a little more fluid. Not a great deal but at least it was more than the day before! The water mixed with some diet cordial went down so much easier than water on it's own. I wasn't having the pains with each sip. I mixed some benefibre in with it and managed 700 mls over the day. I constantly sipped it all day! I also got in about 300 mls of watered down skim milk with milo warmed up.

I hope that benefibre kicks in today.. 5 days now since number 2.

I bought some electrolyte icypoles yesterday too but had to wait for them to freeze. So I will get started on them today.

Might get some gatorade too today!

I was soo excited just to fit more fluid in yesterday than the previous days. Baby steps! But each day will get that bit easier.

I find it pretty uncomfortable lying down at night.. And can only sleep on one side as my tummy hurts alot trying to sleep on the other. I haven't had any pain meds or panadol since day 3. Although didn't feel they made much difference. Is it normal to have the pain in your tummy when moving around? Like a burning ripping pulling sort of pain. I quickly move back to a comfy position and let it settle. But it just seems a bit full on. Is it normal? Just still healing?

Thanks for all your input girls!!

Mel :-)
Back to top Go down
Oki Doki Joy
Part of the furniture
Oki Doki Joy

Female
Number of posts : 654
Registration date : 2010-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Worried I am not getting in enough..   Worried I am not getting in enough.. EmptySun 17 Jul 2011, 6:48 am

I lived on Gatorade for a few weeks - for hydration & energy. Might help more than plain water, which hits the stomach "hard"?

My stomach still kicks occasionally, six months out!
Back to top Go down
http://www.gastricsleevesupport.com/the-diary-f8/the-big-joyful-
Smurfette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Smurfette

Female
Number of posts : 1272
Registration date : 2010-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Worried I am not getting in enough..   Worried I am not getting in enough.. EmptySun 17 Jul 2011, 4:16 am

Mel, I do not recall having that feeling (though doesn't mean I didn't have it, just probably wasn't rememberable); though I have read on here of late, that others were questioning 'fluttering' after the op; maybe that would help with an answer. Good luck with the shopping trip; I hope he gets what you want. Take it easy and sip, sip, sip; all will improve as the days progess.
Back to top Go down
Allure

Female

PostSubject: Re: Worried I am not getting in enough..   Worried I am not getting in enough.. EmptySat 16 Jul 2011, 11:54 pm

Thanks so much girls! I'm going to send my husband to the shops this morning with a little list and I will definitely try all your suggestions.

I managed 3/4 cup warm (half skim milk and half water) with a little milo this morning. That's the most volume i've drunk over about 45 mins. My skin has started getting quite dry and I no longer have much urine output at all the past 24 hours. (sorry for tmi). So I'm hoping today I can pick it up a little trying different things.

Can I ask you also.. My tummy does these really weird spasms.. I can feel it jumping around and can actually see it on the outside. Sometimes it's when i've gotten up quickly from lying down, and lasts about 5 mins. It feels really really strong like it's about to jump out of my body - and if you put your hand on it you can feel it thumping around. Tell me that's completely normal? Maybe it's because i've barely put anything in it for days?

You guys are the biggest support through this scary and exciting time...and I don't know what I would do without this amazing forum. I'd feel so lost and alone right now if it wasn't for being able to share it with you all and know I'm not alone.

Thank you!!!

Mel :-)

Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Worried I am not getting in enough..   Worried I am not getting in enough.. EmptySat 16 Jul 2011, 11:35 am

Yeah, ice blocks are great, and help with the crunch factor...
Back to top Go down
Smurfette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Smurfette

Female
Number of posts : 1272
Registration date : 2010-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Worried I am not getting in enough..   Worried I am not getting in enough.. EmptySat 16 Jul 2011, 10:22 am

Hi Mel, just to add what Chris says; in the early days a lot, and even now sometimes when I cannot down enough water/liquids; I suck on icypoles or make my own; seems to go down better and quite substantial amount more; and also fruit smoothies blended well. Also those electrolyte icypoles from the chemist work a treat in the early days. Glad to hear you are through the worst of it already and safely to the other side; will be good to watch your journey.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Worried I am not getting in enough..   Worried I am not getting in enough.. EmptySat 16 Jul 2011, 6:34 am

Hi Mel
Sounds like you are doing well, apart from the drinking issue, so that's great.
Have you tried tea or coffee? Do they go down easier?
Are you putting some juice or cordial in your water? That makes it go down easier in the early days -something about changing the water tension. What about a hot lemon and honey drink?
Everyone is different, of course, but I would expect you to be able to have a little more each day, and in a week or so to be having a lot more.
if you are at all concerned, do call your doctor to discuss it, though - as you said, you don't want to be dehydrated (though you wouldn't be the first).
Good luck and let us know how you go.
Back to top Go down
Allure

Female

PostSubject: Worried I am not getting in enough..   Worried I am not getting in enough.. EmptyFri 15 Jul 2011, 11:48 pm

I had my surgery on Wednesday afternoon 13 July... so 3 days ago. I have only managed a few small sips (with alot of discomfort with every sip) each day. I came home from hospital yesterday (Friday) morning, and over the day only managed 5 or 6 small sips or water for breakfast, 3 teaspoons runny low fat custard for lunch, and 1/4 cup warm skim milk with milo at dinner time. I had my water bottle next to me all day and tried to take small sips whenever I could.. but I only managed about 250 mls over the whole day. (I read on here some people found it easier to drink warm liquids in the early days - the skim milk with milo was easier to go down and I felt a little better I had something at least in my tummy)

I just don't want to get dehydrated. Is the pain and discomfort when taking small sips from the swelling etc? So in another couple of days it should be easier? I always drank alot of water - 2-3 litres each day. I actually love water.. so I miss it. My mouth tastes different so the water isn't tasting as good at the moment.

I just weighed myself on my scales. The last time I was weighed was the day before surgery and I was 122 kg on the hospital scales. On my scales today - 3 days post op, I am 115 kg. I have definitely lost weight as my pants are really loose.. but that's a bit too much in 3 days?! Perhaps my scales are different to the hospitals (I should have weighed myself at home before the op so I could know more accurately what I am losing). But I figure I will be weighing in regularly now on my home scales so I will go by that weight.

I'm not in any pain from my 5 keyhole sites. Just my new tummy hurts a little - and I still have that heartburn/indigestion feeling often. But I got a full nights sleep last night (my first night home from hospital)... and that always makes you feel a little better! I am just taking panadol occasionally when I feel I need it - but not regularly.

My real concern is just not to get too dehydrated or vitamin deficient in these early days/weeks. Any info on how long after your surgery before you could fit in adequate fluids (especially for those that are similar to me with only being able to fit in a few sips with discomfort in the early days) would be really appreciated. I hesitate to drink much more due to the discomfort.. I don't want to hurt myself or my new tummy or cause any damage so I don't push it.

Thanks in advance!!

Mel :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Worried I am not getting in enough..   Worried I am not getting in enough.. Empty

Back to top Go down

Worried I am not getting in enough..
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: