6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kiwichick

Female
Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2010-05-16

im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me Empty
PostSubject: Re: im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me   im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me EmptySun 10 Jul 2011, 11:31 am

Aqua aerobics at Manurewa is either $6 or $7, thats what I was expecting for the price of this class at papatoetoe but they said $2 - although I guess if it's really popular then they will put the price up

If you are keen I would be all good with meeting you before you go to work one day a week if you want to? It would have to be on a day off for me - I work 4 days on 4 days off - so my days off change every week, I don't finish work until 0800 in the morning so on days that I work I don't get there until 0815 - 0820

I would be fine with either manurewa or papatoetoe and whatever time is good for you

I find it way easier to go and exercise when I know there will be someone there waiting for me and now that it is freezing in the mornings I need that extra bit of motivation LOL
Back to top Go down
munderwood

Female
Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2011-05-25

PostSubject: Re: im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me   im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me EmptySun 10 Jul 2011, 11:23 am

I will use the pools in Pukekohe, shame the times are so obscure, I could have joined you before work. I work in Manukau..

Thats good to know about the incisions. Guess I will be going swimming tomorrow night. Yippee.. It sucks that we pay so much compared to Auckland, you guys get things heaps cheaper. Franklin is now part of Auckland but you wouldn't think so eh?
Back to top Go down
kiwichick

Female

PostSubject: Re: im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me   im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me EmptySun 10 Jul 2011, 11:00 am

Papatoetoe pools are doing free aqua zumba this week as a trial Monday 0615 & 0900, Thursday 0730 and Friday 1915 or 1930 I can't remember (also costs $2 for Friday nite as it's ladies only) I also walk in the pool on a wednesday for at least an hour

Next week the proper classes start and I have been told it will only be $2 per class and it will still be the same times as this week

I have been to the pools a few times since surgery and my incisions were fine, I did check with my GP that all the incisions were closed, I had asked the Doctors about swimming and they just said as long an incisions were closed then I was fine to get in the pool.

What pools were you going to do aqua at? I used to go to manurewa aquatic centre but I started going to papatoetoe as my cousin walks with me sometimes and also I work graveyard in Penrose and live in Manukau so papatoetoe is on the way home.

I would like to go back to Manurewa Aquatic

I don't go back to work until Thursday night, so gotta try to get the fluid and food under control by then and also work on getting off this stupid plateau
Back to top Go down
munderwood

Female

PostSubject: Re: im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me   im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me EmptySun 10 Jul 2011, 6:57 am

I was thinking if it gets worse will call Kate. Was thinking of joining aqua robics this week but worried about the scars. Just be careful, you don't know whats in the water eh?

I have kate on 15th, jon 18th and diatician on 21st. Not sure how I am going to wangle time off. I'm back to work tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
kiwichick

Female

PostSubject: Re: im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me   im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me EmptySun 10 Jul 2011, 6:49 am

I know what people on here say about leaks - but when I left the hospital I was told that if I didn't have one at that point I wouldn't get one (and I also had to have the gastro-graph x-ray (which is the leak test x-ray) and as far as they could tell I was all good.

I was talking to a friend yesterday and we were talking about sushi and I was saying that buying sushi now is gonna be so cheap as I will only get one or maybe 2 pieces in instead of the 8 - 10 I could previously polish off LOL

I have dietitian on 19th, Kate (nurse) on 28th and no idea on when I see Richard. But I am going to call Kate tomorrow and tell her I am having issues - my mother told me that she was going to take me to the hospital today and I refused to go - I just would have sat around for hours while they pumped fluid into me and they probably would have decided that they wanted to keep me in. but I am going to Aqua Zumba at Papatoetoe pools tomorrow and I am not going to miss it!!!

Pain is not good, are you able to take panadol tablets or do you have liquid?

If in doubt I would ring Kate if I were you, what you feel might be normal???? Or could be a problem that they have to check out
Back to top Go down
munderwood

Female

PostSubject: Re: im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me   im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me EmptySun 10 Jul 2011, 6:05 am

Haha Kiwichick,..you go girl. when do you have your follow up?

I took my daughter shopping today We went to spotlight. I actually age out. I had one piece of sushi and it took me ages to eat. I did buy myself a few peices of chicken tikka to take away. I'll have a bit for dinner tonight.

I must admit, have been a fair bit of pain all day not sure what it is but feels like a stitch in my right hand side...I hope its not the staples or anything like that. I'm so paranoid about leaks.
Back to top Go down
kiwichick

Female

PostSubject: Re: im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me   im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me EmptySun 10 Jul 2011, 4:53 am

If Kate or someone was to have an issue with me eating a choc mousse for my birthday then I would have a big issue with that LOL I didn't have this surgery to eat 'good' food only for the rest of my life

If I hadn't had this surgery I would have eaten 10 times worse than a small choc mousse

I think I might try a boiled egg for dinner, I like eggs and hopefully it will go down ok
Back to top Go down
munderwood

Female

PostSubject: Re: im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me   im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me EmptySun 10 Jul 2011, 1:14 am

Yeah, the 30 min thing is definatly hard to do eh?

Chocolate mousse? hee hee. Got to be good for you. Hey, atleast have a treat once in a while. Can't hurt you. After all the fish, meat and eggs you will be eating lol

I really did enjoy my egg this morning though. I reckon soft boiled eggs are the bomb. Certainly the way to go!
Back to top Go down
kiwichick

Female

PostSubject: Re: im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me   im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me EmptySun 10 Jul 2011, 1:01 am

Yeah the once a week bathroom thing is really weird and it's not even constipation, it's just how it is LOL I don't know if that lasts forever??

I had chocolate mousse for breakfast, it was from yesterday and I had to force myself to eat it :( It was a treat for my birthday yesterday and I really didn't feel like eating it yesterday or today, which is shocking to me as I am always up for eating something that is 'bad' for me. Good sign for the future I suppose.

The nurses totally didn't need to make me walk, I walked for hours and hours, but then I didn't sleep for 3 days after surgery so needed something to pass the time LOL

I keep forgetting the 30 min thing too
Back to top Go down
munderwood

Female

PostSubject: Re: im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me   im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me EmptySat 09 Jul 2011, 11:28 pm

My friend was discharged on the monday. Sandra was awesome. She was african. Bullied the hell out of me by making me walk, drink and walk haha. Was all good though.

I'm also going to drop a card off to them. was thinking choccies but you know nurses, they probably have heaps of chocolates. Thought might bake them some cookies instead. I have my follow up on Friday with the bariatric nurse so will use that time as an excuse to drop them off.

How are you going today? Had a cruskit for brekkie spread with vegemite, dipped into a soft boiled egg. Was very nice. Didn't repeat on me and was easy to swallow. Now for my water. I keep forgetting the half hour before and after rule.

Have you been managing to go to the bathroom okay? I go about once a week which feels odd!
Back to top Go down
kiwichick

Female

PostSubject: Re: im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me   im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me EmptySat 09 Jul 2011, 1:09 pm

I was at surgical centre too and my Dr was Richard Babor

I loved all the nurses at surgical centre, I even took them chocolates 1 week after surgery (yes I totally get the irony of my just having WLS taking boxes of chocolates to the nurses who looked after me)

Arohanui wasn't my nurse but I spoke to her a couple of times

Heather was awesome and I can't believe I have forgotten the other nurses name

I was originally supposed to go to Ascot but they decided with my history that I was going to surgical centre, I felt hard done by until I was there and all the nurses were just so awesome
Back to top Go down
munderwood

Female

PostSubject: Re: im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me   im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me EmptySat 09 Jul 2011, 12:23 pm

yep was public through counties manukau. Surgeon was Jon Morrow. Stayed at the hotel Manukau super clinic haha. I thought the nurses were just brilliant.
Espcially Arohanui and Sandra. What about you?
Back to top Go down
kiwichick

Female

PostSubject: Re: im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me   im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me EmptySat 09 Jul 2011, 12:05 pm

Munderwood, where did you have your surgery again? Were you public?
Back to top Go down
kiwichick

Female

PostSubject: Re: im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me   im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me EmptySat 09 Jul 2011, 12:02 pm

Yes I should remember 1 step at a time - everyone is telling me to have patience (something I have been lacking recently LOL)

I thought my Post-Op with the surgeon was at 2 weeks but I found out that it is with the nurse on July 28th - but last week when I was struggling I went and saw her, I have my appointment with the dietitian on July 19th. So I have no idea when my appointment is with the surgeon - but I did see him 3 times after the surgery (and apparently that is unheard of LOL - he even took out my NG tube and I managed to not vomit on him LMAO)
Back to top Go down
munderwood

Female

PostSubject: My ticker updated   im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me EmptySat 09 Jul 2011, 11:37 am

im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me Weight
Back to top Go down
munderwood

Female

PostSubject: Re: im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me   im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me EmptySat 09 Jul 2011, 11:34 am

I actually think this transition time is difficult for all of us. You are doing brilliantly with the water. I managed to drink 1.4ltrs today. bloody proud of myself.
I went through a faze a few days ago of not wanting to eat but forcing myself. I too tried the soups at the supermarkets, the thing is I can't stand all the salt. Am really tasting it in pre made foods and not enjoying it at all.
When do you have your follow up with your surgeon? Mine was meant to be 2 weeks post surgery but more like 18th july. I just hope I haven't busted anything inside. Am really sore on my right hand side.

Keep well and remember, one step at a time.

im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me Weight
Back to top Go down
kiwichick

Female

PostSubject: Re: im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me   im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me EmptySat 09 Jul 2011, 11:17 am

Hey Munderwood

The last couple of days haven't been great, I am finding it difficult to eat and drink - not because I'm full or anything but just the physical act of putting something in my mouth to eat or even chew once it is in my mouth. I don't know if this is a psychological issue and I don't know if this relates to the plateau and my mind is now preventing me from wanting to eat???

But up until Wednesday I was doing really well with eating and drinking, I was getting in about 1000 - 1200 mls a day fluid and I would have weetbix for breakfast (if I was in a hurry then 2 - 3 teaspoons or if I had time I would eat a whole 1 - which takes about 2 hours), lunch has been soups, cruskits with cheese and stuff like that and dinner would be soups, chicken curry, I have been getting the soups from the fridge at the supermarket - and they have all different ones - so mostly different chicken ones.

My friends think it's hilarious the amount I eat when they look at what they eat, I have one friend that keeps trying to feed me more as she can't believe I am stuffed full after 3 or 4 teaspoons of food.

My mother has told me that if I haven't drunk a certain amount by lunch time tomorrow she is taking me into the hospital and I am beginning to think that might be a good idea. My counselor is away on holiday for 3 weeks so I can't talk to her about this issue and maybe they can get someone to talk to me at the hospital.

I don't know if this is common - does everyone go through this???

I do feel like I am being a big baby about this but I know I will get over it
Back to top Go down
munderwood

Female

PostSubject: Hey Kiwichick   im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me EmptySat 09 Jul 2011, 10:11 am

How are you doing? Just been reading all of your posts. Must say you sound like an absolute fighter. Good on ya!

My sleeve was 5 days before yours. I was discharged on my 3rd day I was lucky I wasn't tubed. I was told by my surgeon I may have to be but everything went well.

Like you, I did the circuit at the surgical ward. As soon as I came back from recovery I asked to go to the loo. Only went and got my bloody period at the same time...what a mission that was I tell you.

Nearly a month later and things have settled down. still not eating much, which is abit of a worry naturally. How are you getting on with your food?

I am on softer foods now. I can eat a cruskit for lunch. I usually have cottage cheese or salmon on it. I managed scrambled egg this morning, well half of one anyway! I had baked fish today, Poached in lemon juice, fresh dill and pepper. was lovely.

Are you taking multi vits yet? I would love to upload my ticker but the damned thing doesn't like me. Any suggestions anyone. Oh, and is normal to get stitches? I feel like I have a stitch on my right hand side where my largest incision is. Not sure if its a stitch or whether its actually my period which is due? I heard things move around a fair bit!
Back to top Go down
kiwichick

Female

PostSubject: Re: im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me   im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me EmptySat 09 Jul 2011, 12:55 am

Hi Loreli

How did your surgery go? I hope it was NOT eventful and I hope that you are doing good!!!
Back to top Go down
Lorelei

Female
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-06-18

PostSubject: Re: im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me   im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me EmptyTue 28 Jun 2011, 2:32 am

Hi KiwiChick

Hope you are recovering well. Crazy busy at the moment but hopefully will respond properly this evening. Take care.

Lorelei
Back to top Go down
kiwichick

Female

PostSubject: Re: im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me   im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me EmptySun 26 Jun 2011, 12:55 pm

Hi Lorelei

Unfortunately the Dr wasn't wrong about me needing to go into Middlemore, I went in today, thinking that I would be there for 2 hours - 10 hours later I got to go home - just got home about an hour ago Boggled

Was a little more dehydrated that I realised - had to have 2 litres of saline and 1 litre of potassium

I am going to ask my Dr tomorrow if I can just do fluids for 2 weeks and not worry about the food while the tiny tiny tum heals itself, so will see

The full feeling signal I have picked up - and it comes on quick - Is a feeling that you have been sitting at a buffet for 2 hours stuffing your face - so it is stuffed full and you go from fine and plenty of room to stuffed full in one sip. This is something that might change????? I really don't know, I don't know if this is different for different people, but this is just what I feel

When temptation strikes just remember that if your liver is too fatty they will take you off the table and NOT operate, that kept me from cheating - there is a reason they need to shrink the liver and it needs to be small

This surgery is no one elses business, so you don't need to tell anyone else. I have told a couple of people in my family and a few close friends, only the ones I knew would be supportive. One or two were concerned about the surgery aspect and my safety and risks and stuff. You may feel like you want to tell people later once you are at goal even, or not.

I can tell you right now that this surgery does not offer constraint, I look at all the commercials on TV and think about all the food, luckily I have 2 months before I can eat real food where I have to sort out my brain and not think about all the yummy things there are to eat - I know I will give myself treats just not as many and as much as before surgery, so you are still able to eat all the bad things.

I think I do have the week off after the 4th (I think) if you think you might be up for it I don't mind visiting you in hospital, let me know what you think about that idea

Better get to bed, it's been a long day - but let me know

Back to top Go down
Lorelei

Female

PostSubject: Re: im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me   im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me EmptySun 26 Jun 2011, 3:42 am

Wow - what can I say?? Doesn't sound like a lot of fun, you poor thing im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me 81722

However, you are sounding really positive and like you are looking forward to what is in store. I guess every day means you are further into recovery and getting better and learning to adapt. Sounds like your poor old stomach has had a really tough time and what you have just gone through (freeing up organs and trimming of scar tissue etc) is probably a good thing...

I hope your surgeon is wrong about you ending up at Middlemore. Have you been able to drink more fluids? When you say you "managed 5 small sips then was full", what is the full feeling like? Like you couldn't force a single thing more down or you would vomit, or just a feeling that you were content?

With only a week to go I am getting quite nervous. Have struggled not to eat this weekend. Working is fine - too busy to notice but our weekend started at the French Market in Parnell and the sight and smell of all the food there just about drove me insane. I kept on thinking, God I'll never be able to eat like that again - which is the whole point! - but there is an element of grieving that surrounds the process...

Did you tell people you were having the operation? I haven't (except my partner, daughter and two close friends). I started Opti at 93 kgs (height 1.64 or 5 and BMI 35). Have battled my weight and food issues all my life and there is an expectation by people that basically I should just get my sh*t together and lose the weight. I am a very young (of course!) 52, have a stressful job, lead a busy life, go to the gym yah de yah, and I cannot shift my weight. I can no longer exhibit any self-control and say no to food. I have dieted so long and failed so many times that I just can't do it any more. I am hoping this operation (which I realise is a real commitment and only a tool to my success) will provide the constraint that I need. I'll continue to work on the head if it can look after my tum! And I know that if I told my extended family - parents, sisters etc they would try and talk me out of it... Luckily, both my knees are giving me grief and are currently strapped for all to see. My physio told me that it is nothing that losing 20 kgs wouldn't help (my knees) so I am telling all and sundry at work that is my focus - to lose 20 kgs for the sake of my knees and my ample backside. Part of me would rather tell the truth but I just can't deal with the conversations and scrutiny leading into the op.

Enough rambling. Take care of yourself and stay well KiwiChick - I have my fingers crossed for you to stay hydrated and out of Middlemore. I wish I could meet you for a coffee but I work full time... Will you still have a week off after my op on the 4th? Maybe we could catch up then if all goes well...

I am full of admiration for anyone who commits to doing this - boy, it is certainly no easy fix.
Back to top Go down
kiwichick

Female

PostSubject: Re: im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me   im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me EmptyFri 24 Jun 2011, 8:07 am

Thanks heaps Lifechange and Lorelei for your good wishes

And Lorelei I am all good with you asking a million questions so ask away :)

I am home today, Yay. NG tube came out yesterday and I feel like a very lucky girl - I had to go to middlemore for my x-ray and it didn't go well (not in a leak way) but in that everytime I swallowed the contrast it just came straight back up in a violent manner LOL im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me 64827 Even when I swallowed and also when they put it down the tube. They were able to get one good picture which they think was a good indicator of NO leak im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me 542174

The good part was when I was in the 'recovery' area of radiology, my surgeon, Richard came in to see me (I don't know if he was told that it didn't go well), he asked me how I was and I said terrible (and pointed to the NG tube) he said why don't we just take it out then, so I pointed to the nurse that was looking after me and he said 'Oh I will just take it out' - OMG my consultant taking out my NG tube - kinda not really his job, but OMG the relief - no more throat pain, no more nausea and no more ear pain (yes that's right NG tube gave me earache)

I got back to Manukau Surgical Centre and was so tired I hadn't had any sleep since monday AND I was a good patient and was very mobile - between Wednesday morning and Thursday morning I walked up and down the ward for a total of 8 hours, not all at once though (scored LOTS of brownie points with the nurses - they thought I was the best and at times there would be 4 of us walking up and down the corridor at like 0530 (not all sleeve patients).

Yesterday afternoon was funny, I had asked one of my nurses to change one of my dressings as it was hurting, she came in to check on me at about 5pm and I was sound asleep (so she didn't have the heart to wake me) so at shift change at 7pm my new nurse came in and the same thing - I was still sleeping, I rang the bell at 8.30pm when I woke up and my nurse actually came in with my medication, BP machine to do my obs and trolley with dressing stuff - she had been waiting for my bell from 7pm

I just can't praise the nurses at surgical centre enough - they were AMAZING - every single one of my nurses!!!!! im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me 446871

I also slept for 5 hours last night after my nap in the afternoon

I was told by the surgeon that I could eat last night and sip water, that was funny, my dinner turned up and it was a pottle of jelly, ice cream, OJ, cup of broth and sustagen. I started with the broth and had about 5 small sips and was full, so I waited an hour and had half a teaspoon of Jelly and half a teaspoon of ice cream, then waited another hour and had the same again - this kept me full until 5am this morning. I had 3 sips of water at 5am and was full again.

I had the pleasure of my consultant coming into see me this morning (and I have been told that this is not something that usually happens with ANY consultants) He told me that due to the scar tissue and all the extra time he had to unstick all my organs has caused my sleeve to swell and it is currently half the size of smallest sleeve there is and this should correct itself in a couple of weeks. So that explains why I have been dehydrated since Tuesday, so I got 1 litre of fluids in an hour just before I went home and a steroid to try to reduce the swelling.

Surgeon has told me that he expects me to end up in the emergency dept at Middlemore in the next 3 - 4 days for more fluids. I am going to try my best - but I have only managed 250 mls since I got home - but for breakfast I had a teaspoon of yogurt, lunch was a teaspoon of stewed pair and dinner has been awesome, I made some mince with a mexican simmer sauce in the slow cooker and added some cheese at the end. I have had 1 teaspoon so far and am full so I am going to wait and see if I can get more in later

I am sorry I have written so much but this is such an exciting journey that I have started and I want to shout it from the rooftops im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me 557634

In answer to your questions Lorelei: I am still pain free - can't believe it (sometimes have a bit of discomfort) but I was only given panadol in hospital, can definitely feel my stomach especially when I am eating and drinking. I am glad you have found an Opti flavour that you like.

I suppose I should stop writing now, any more questions just let me know and if anyone wants to catch up for coffee (or water LOL) let me know, I have another 2 weeks off work

Back to top Go down
Lifechange
Lifechange

Female
Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2010-08-31

PostSubject: Re: im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me   im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me EmptyThu 23 Jun 2011, 1:35 am

Welcome to the other side Kiwichick and congrats on the intial loss :) (My little action people aren't working today so you will just have to imagine a little happy face dance here for you lol)

Anyway I am an ex-aucklander and was sleeved in October 2010.

Hopefully you are home again and taking it easy. The next few weeks will all be about learning and adjusting but it is all so worth it in the end.

xx
Back to top Go down
Lorelei

Female

PostSubject: Re: im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me   im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me EmptyWed 22 Jun 2011, 9:02 pm

Damn, started a reply to you and it has disappeared into cyberspace! Will begin again. If the other reply shows up somewhere, I am NOT stalking you!

im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me 65317 Congratulations Kiwichick - you are officially a sleever! And a 6 kg weight loss since Monday - I could work with that! You sound really upbeat - and still with a tube up your nose (eek! Bizarrely, that is the thing I fear the most...). Great that your liver stood up for the job, it would have been unbearable if your surgeon hadn't proceeded. Are you home today? I hope so. I am sure you will pass the leak test - it's all down hill from here. Are you still pain free? Can you feel your stomach? Hopefully you slept well last night - there is something to be said for the lasting effect of an anaesthetic. Keep me posted - it was good to hear how well you have come through all this.

I haven't quite worked out this forum. Are you posting on other threads? Are you going to post your diary and before and after photos? Are my questions sending you into a coma LOL?? Sorry.

I have discovered Strawberry Opti which is much more palatable to me (thought I was a chocolate girl but definitely not Opti choci!). I have dropped 2.6 kilos drinking Opti and eating carrots since Monday. Not surprising given the crap I managed to devour in the lead in to Opti. Even I was thinking that I probably couldn't sustain such appalling habits...

Anyway, I follow your story with interest. Take it easy, take care and be excited about your future. x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me   im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me Empty

Back to top Go down

im new to this can any new zealanders plz add me
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Sleevers Around the World :: Global Sleevers :: Sleevers New Zealand-
Jump to: