4 posters
AuthorMessage
NoLongerA"Wanttobe"
NoLongerA

Female
Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2011-08-17

Post Surgical ileus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Post Surgical ileus   Post Surgical ileus EmptySun 18 Sep 2011, 12:56 pm

Just reading through these threads to prepare myself for any complications, but wanted to add that I had a paralytic ileus after my emergency c-section with my last baby. It was awful. Started throwing up bile, then blood - looked 10 months pregnant with tummy as hard as a drum. Had to have ng tube to suction stomach, and nothing but iv fluids for a week. Of course, once it resolved, I then ended up with the runs for a few days. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
Back to top Go down
Tash
Top Poster
Top Poster
Tash

Female
Number of posts : 1492
Registration date : 2011-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Post Surgical ileus   Post Surgical ileus EmptySun 12 Jun 2011, 12:42 pm

Thanks Girls. Yes improvement definitely. It was my GP who told me about this condition and told me it can occur after abdominal surgery. I was unlucky I guess but all is good now. GP suggested I still take half a movicol a day for a week but I don't think there is much to move right now. maybe someone else may be going through the same thing and the information may help.
Back to top Go down
Fraggle
Fraggle

Female
Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2011-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Post Surgical ileus   Post Surgical ileus EmptySun 12 Jun 2011, 11:57 am

At the risk of TMI here, when I was in hospital (day 3 I think) I told my doctor that I hadn't been able to go to the toilet and he asked if I was passing wind. I thought that was an odd question but I answered that I was. Looking back he may have been ruling out what you had.

Sorry to hear you had such a rough time of it, Tash. I hope things improve quickly for you from here on in.
Back to top Go down
Smurfette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Smurfette

Female
Number of posts : 1272
Registration date : 2010-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Post Surgical ileus   Post Surgical ileus EmptySun 12 Jun 2011, 10:25 am

Tash I am glad all is well now... hopefully smooth sailing from now on. Congratulations on your weight loss so far. Take care.
Back to top Go down
Tash
Top Poster
Top Poster
Tash

Female
Number of posts : 1492
Registration date : 2011-03-30

PostSubject: Post Surgical ileus   Post Surgical ileus EmptySun 12 Jun 2011, 9:16 am

Everything went great for me sleeved 1/6/2011. Only problem was one week after I had severe constipation and injury to my rectum. I suffered through 2 days of agonising pain, no sleep due to my bowels wanting to work all the time, topical anesthetic which was fairly useless, several enemas, Movical, hot salt baths till it was resolved over 48 hrs later. The next thing if that didn't work was to drink the stuff they give you for a colonoscopy which wasn't required thankfully. It was probably what is called Post Surgical ileus which is a partial shutdown of the intestinal tract post abdominal surgery.
I am fine now but this was the worst 48 hrs of my life.
I said to hubby afterwoods it is amazing what a big bit of poo can do to you. Sheer Hell.

This is cut and pasted from wikepedia:
Paralysis of the intestine is often termed paralytic ileus. To be termed "paralytic ileus," the intestinal paralysis need not be complete, but it must be sufficient to prohibit the passage of food through the intestine and lead to intestinal blockage.

Paralytic ileus is a common side effect of some types of surgery, in case it is commonly called postsurgical ileus. It can also result from certain drugs and from various injuries and illnesses, i.e. acute pancreatitis. Paralytic ileus causes constipation and bloating. On listening to the abdomen with a stethoscope, no bowel sounds are heard because the bowel is inactive.

A temporary paralysis of a portion of the intestines occurs typically after an abdominal surgery. Since the intestinal content of this portion is unable to move forward, food or drink should be avoided until peristaltic sound is heard from auscultation of the area where this portion lies.

Also very interesting to note: There is also evidence that sham feeding, such as chewing gum, may stimulate gastrointestinal motility in the post-operative period LOL

I hope none of you ever have to go through this!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Post Surgical ileus   Post Surgical ileus Empty

Back to top Go down

Post Surgical ileus
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: Complications With The Sleeve-
Jump to: