Magic Princess
Part of the furniture
Magic Princess

Female
Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2008-10-02

Gas & Pain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas & Pain   Gas & Pain EmptyWed 05 Nov 2008, 5:15 am

Hi guys thanks for your replies, you don't know how much they've helped. Lynette & Apple you are both correct, apple juice is not good for me. As soon as I read your posts I stopped drinking it and low and behold, what do you know? I have no way near the pain that I had on Monday. I am so thankful to you all for your thoughts, it really does help. I discovered yesterday that I could chomp on ice cubes merrily and not have any pain, so that was a God send especially since it was really hot yesterday. It now seems that my little tummy has decided it can handle ice cold water, so I am soooo over the moon. I love water and could live happily with it as my only drink and was devastated when I couldn't drink it. But now it's back baby and it's soooo goood. Yah
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Gas & Pain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas & Pain   Gas & Pain EmptyMon 03 Nov 2008, 7:27 pm

I've had a lot of problems with reflux too, and like Nic I've had to take 2 tablets a day.
But you're already taking 2 tablets a day, so I think you need to call your doc and ask about it.
Don't sit there in pain every day and not do anything about it - there's no need, when you a simple call could sort it out.
Best wishes
Chris
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Gas & Pain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas & Pain   Gas & Pain EmptyMon 03 Nov 2008, 1:45 pm

I suffer reflux and apple juice is a major no no. It really makes it worse and the stupid thing is it is offered to you straight up as your first drink after water. I take somac and if I do not eat anything savory after about 7pm I rarely if at all suffer any reflux now. Okay i was on the booze firday and saturday night, 2 nights in a row and my stomach hated me sunday *LOL* to much wine by far but you are talking a LOT a bottle a night. way to much acid in one little tummy. The body just rebeled and wouldnt tolerate anything sunday. I think it is back to being a cheap drunk for moi ;)

applesauce
Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster
nicolev1969

Female
Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-05-28

Gas & Pain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas & Pain   Gas & Pain EmptyMon 03 Nov 2008, 12:26 pm

i also suffered reflux after a got home from hospital and my dr prescribed pariet, i think its the same as nexium. But if your already taking this medication im not sure what you can do...can you up your dose at all. I started with 1 tablet then asked if i could take 2 a day instead, which i did for about 2-3 weeks after.

Nicole
Back to top Go down
Magic Princess
Part of the furniture
Magic Princess

Female

Gas & Pain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas & Pain   Gas & Pain EmptyMon 03 Nov 2008, 5:27 am

Thanks Lynette. I am actually on two different reflux meds, nexium & zantac, but so far am yet to feel any difference. I've got an appt with dietician on Wed so we'll see what she says then. I've been thinking that the apple juice was too much and have diluted it, but as soon as I do that the pain starts up. Will discus it with them then I guess. I'm just going through all the motions at the moment of trying which drinks I can and can't have, wishing the can tolerate side was a little longer. Oh well. My biggest hurdle is trying not to let it get to me too much. I'm focusing only on one day at a time, so hopefully by the end of the week I can say, phew that's over. Thanks again for your advice. I have to say that warm fluids are going down a lot easier than I thought. This was the same in the hospital. That is, the clear soups and tea seem to work well. I must remember to just keep up those, maybe even try to warm up some water and drink that instead....ha, what a wonderful idea. I shall go and try that now!
Back to top Go down
newlife
Part of the furniture
newlife

Female
Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Gas & Pain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas & Pain   Gas & Pain EmptyMon 03 Nov 2008, 5:02 am

Oh and another thought, if you are drinking a lot of pure apple juice that may exacerbate the acid. Try the water again, but if this is too difficult add a bit of apple or other juice (very weak) or cordial to the water which will help it go down a bit better.

Not sure if you have visited a dietition, but the recommended diet from mine for the Day 4 - 14/21 post op is nourishing liquid ie low fat dairy, fruit (pureed, liquid with juice, sorbet, diet jelly) vegetable soups, meat alternatives (eggnogs, puree chicken added to soups, legumes), liquid grains ie farex, protein supplements plus 1500ml - 2000ml non-nourishing fluid (water, diet cordial, tea/coffee etc) but she specifically stated to avoid large amounts of fruit juice. Should aim for between 500ml - 1000ml nourishing liquid per day plus the water.

Hope this helps
Back to top Go down
newlife
Part of the furniture
newlife

Female
Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Gas & Pain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas & Pain   Gas & Pain EmptyMon 03 Nov 2008, 4:45 am

Hi Magic Princess,

Sorry to hear you are feeling some discomfort. You may need to take some acid reflux medication such as Nexium or Somac. You will need a script for either of these two. I am surprised that your surgeon didn't prescribe already as it is standard practice with my surgeon. It is very common to get gastric reflux, particularly the first few weeks after surgery as your new tiny tummy has an excess of acid initially. This should settle down further down the tract, although I still take a Nexium on most days and I am now 8 weeks post op, but I know some others only take it for a few weeks. I do notice extra acid if I miss a day of medication.
Back to top Go down
Magic Princess
Part of the furniture
Magic Princess

Female

Gas & Pain Empty
PostSubject: Gas & Pain   Gas & Pain EmptyMon 03 Nov 2008, 3:55 am

Hi guys

I was sleeved on Thurs last week, 30th Oct. I came home from hospital yesterday. For the most part, my time in hospital was fine, no real dramas. I did find drinking water a real pain, litterally, but just swapped that for apple juice. Since coming home, I've had terrible pain in my eusophegus (sorry about the spelling, can't be bothered even looking it up) and tummy. It feels like gas or what I imagine reflux pain to be like. I feel like if I could just do an enormous burg it would settle, but every time I try to make myself burp, I can taste bile, so I don't push it. So now I'm wishing I hadn't of gone home from hospital, but I know that that's silly, but just want the pain to stop.

Did anyone have anything like this and if so, any suggestions that might help.

Thanks heaps.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Gas & Pain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas & Pain   Gas & Pain Empty

Back to top Go down

Gas & Pain
Page 1 of 1