AuthorMessage
Kyles
Part of the furniture
Kyles

Female
Number of posts : 932
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Is meat hard for anybody else? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is meat hard for anybody else?   Is meat hard for anybody else? EmptyTue 09 Feb 2010, 9:21 pm

As long as I dont eat any fat I am good with all meats :)

Did have one little episode with a pork strip once but i had just come home from the gym...was starving and think I ate it too fast...regardless I havent touched another one...lol
Back to top Go down
Barney

Male
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Is meat hard for anybody else?   Is meat hard for anybody else? EmptyTue 09 Feb 2010, 7:18 am

Hi all, I have been sleeved for about 6 weeks, I still struggle eating chicken and pork but I have no trouble at all with eye fillet steak, it took me a while to be brave enough to try steak but theres no turning back now. I also have shaved ham and corned beef for meals and have no trouble with these either.
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Is meat hard for anybody else?   Is meat hard for anybody else? EmptyThu 21 Jan 2010, 8:26 pm

Thanks Gail, will have to try it!
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female
Number of posts : 3694
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Is meat hard for anybody else?   Is meat hard for anybody else? EmptyThu 21 Jan 2010, 4:25 am

Janette,
Go the scotch fillet, Oh my god I thought that I was going to die and go straight to heaven when I ate that for the first time after surgery LOL
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female

PostSubject: Re: Is meat hard for anybody else?   Is meat hard for anybody else? EmptyWed 20 Jan 2010, 7:10 pm

I agree about the mince Sunland, it takes alot of chewing to get it down.
I haven't tried steak yet, hope to this weekend. Must remember not to over cook it. THanks for the tip.
Back to top Go down
Couchsurfer

Male
Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Is meat hard for anybody else?   Is meat hard for anybody else? EmptyWed 20 Jan 2010, 1:26 pm

Still love a decent peice of steak, easy going down. I cook 1 peice and eat half, then put the other in the fridge, then have it later or the next day. I don't mind eating it cold with some BBQ sauce on it.
Back to top Go down
manda
manda

Female
Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2009-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Is meat hard for anybody else?   Is meat hard for anybody else? EmptyWed 20 Jan 2010, 6:44 am

i have been sleeved for about 11 weeks and have no trouble eating any meat at all. i however have totally turned off steak as it just tastes like **** now. i used to love it b4 the sleeve but not now, i have turned to fish which i used to HATE!!! strange how things work out.
Back to top Go down
sunland
Sponsor
sunland

Male
Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2009-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Is meat hard for anybody else?   Is meat hard for anybody else? EmptyTue 19 Jan 2010, 10:43 pm

Hi,
I am 46 weeks post op. If you like your beef med/rare..the best option was to either cook a fairly thick piece of say eye fillet and then cut very thin slivers and put some sauce or gravy on it..the other option I found that worked was to cut the raw meat into slivers and then stirfry quickly then put it on top of a little salad..much like a warm beef salad..
I found ordinary mince had to be blended to go down well, as you tend to cook mince always well done.

Cya
Greg
Back to top Go down
pf337

Female
Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2009-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Is meat hard for anybody else?   Is meat hard for anybody else? EmptyTue 19 Jan 2010, 1:24 pm

I am almost nine months out. If I start my meal with meat or chicken, my meal is VERY small. I do not consider that a bad thing. I am at goal. Throughout these nine months, I have tried to eat the protein first. Now that I am at goal, I am careful at what I eat first. If the scale is a little down, I might not eat protein first. This way I can handle extra calories that day. If the scale is a little up, I will eat protein first at each meal. This way my calories are limited for the day. Be safe with that tiny tummy you have.......do not push it. None of us are the same and neither are our tummies. If your body is not ready for meat then get your protein some other way. You can try again in a couple of weeks. You do not want or need to vomit. This early after surgery, you do not want to hurt that tiny tummy. Good Luck. pf337
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female

PostSubject: Re: Is meat hard for anybody else?   Is meat hard for anybody else? EmptySun 17 Jan 2010, 10:50 pm

I wasn't allowed ground (mince) meat until after 4 weeks post-op.
I have since had spag bol, chilli carne and potato pie, all went down OK, but chew, chew, well!
Back to top Go down
bonitaymala
bonitaymala

Female
Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2010-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Is meat hard for anybody else?   Is meat hard for anybody else? EmptySun 17 Jan 2010, 10:05 pm

Red grong meat was not pleasant.But I try with some chicken ground meat and it was Ok.I dont use hot oil to brown.Its a family thing.We cook any ground meat in boiling water.It comes out so nice and thin.As is boiling just add the seasonings and add a bit of olive oil....
Back to top Go down
ang
ang

Female
Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2008-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Is meat hard for anybody else?   Is meat hard for anybody else? EmptyThu 06 Nov 2008, 10:36 pm

Hi Annden,
I am 6 weeks post op and the only meat I have had is cooked chicken ( have to chew thouroughly), tuna and now thinnly sliced ham. I had 1/2 a sausage last week. Take the time to chew until it is mush in your mouth. The thinner in consistancy the easier to swallow.
Ang
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Is meat hard for anybody else?   Is meat hard for anybody else? EmptySun 02 Nov 2008, 1:30 pm

Even mince at 3 weeks is a big ask. I would have thought late week 4 week 5 with lots of sauce as kali said. Pate works great on cruskets if you want meat flavour. You have to remember it is only a matter of a very short time you have such a limited diet that you are not really missing out on much. If you still want to try the mince then I would cook it then throw it in the blender to make it even finer pour extra sauce over it and heat it up in the microwave. I even went and heated my soup up a couple of times during my meal to start with as I hated my food going cold. I know it might seem a bit odd but hey it is as I said just a few short weeks. Here I am close to a year out with the male of the species and we had steak and lobster for dinner friday night with no problems at all. Okay we still did not finish it even between us but oh it was yummy :)

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Kaili
Part of the furniture
Kaili

Female
Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Is meat hard for anybody else?   Is meat hard for anybody else? EmptySun 02 Nov 2008, 1:19 pm

Hi Annden.

if you're having mince, make sure you have it in lots of sauce (like bolognese). The further you get post op, the less sauce you'll need.
Back to top Go down
untamed_angel277
untamed_angel277

Female
Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Is meat hard for anybody else?   Is meat hard for anybody else? EmptySun 02 Nov 2008, 12:45 pm

HI Annden...

just reading that you are 3 weeks post op dont think youshould really be eating any meat just yet (thats what mine told me) that you have to really chew (mine said if i can sip it through a straw in week 4 i can have it..lol..) if anything you should be just starting to try the mushy food .. im around 8 weeks now and only started trying mince or meat with heaps of gravy and puread to the max around week 5 and tried poached fish in week 4 but with heaps of cheese sauce and only really around a teaspoon so maybe its just a bit to soon for you i find that if it doesnt work or go down right try it again in a week... but check with your surgeon when you see them.. but must admit week 4 i had braised steak and onion and that worked great.. hope this helps...
Back to top Go down
http://untamedangel277.spaces.live.com/
charmaz
charmaz

Female
Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2008-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Is meat hard for anybody else?   Is meat hard for anybody else? EmptySun 02 Nov 2008, 12:42 pm

I am glad that you can eat tuna...I used to eat tuna all the time and absolutely love it but since surgery I cant eat it and it makes me feel violently ill. Meat I find takes a while to be able to digest it and perhaps is best to be tried a little bit at a time and with lots of gravy.
Back to top Go down
Annden
Annden

Female
Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Is meat hard for anybody else?   Is meat hard for anybody else? EmptySun 02 Nov 2008, 12:32 pm

Im 3 weeks post surgery and according to my dietician I should be having a little mince. I tried it but no matter how I chew it, it still seems hard on my stomach. I find I have to chew food so much that my food is going cold in my measly little bowl. Anybody else got this problem. I do find tuna palatable, but you cant eat tuna all the time. Any suggestions Ranting
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is meat hard for anybody else?   Is meat hard for anybody else? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is meat hard for anybody else?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: