11 posters
AuthorMessage
MarryMe60
MarryMe60

Female
Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2011-04-02

Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide...   Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide... EmptySat 30 Apr 2011, 6:46 am

Howdy,

Yes I was, I think from memory I was 34 ish and and although I was borderline, my Doc still agreed to do the operation. So don't be too concerned about it.

Glad you have started the process and good luck. If you have any problems with your surgeon, let me know because mine was fab too.

cheers
Back to top Go down
Moto Moto
Moto Moto

Male
Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2011-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide...   Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide... EmptyFri 29 Apr 2011, 3:50 am

Hey all :)

Thanks for your help and messages! I've finally answered the private messages and I'm terribly pleased with the warm welcome :D

Ok, so gottarhyme: Thanks!!! I'll start the process with the super fund as soon as I can. Sounds like a great idea! By the way... who is APRA? :)

Tempest: Yes, my GP just gave me a prescription for Champix yesterday and I start tomorrow :) Can't wait to be smoke free! Good luck with quitting again!

D'Girlz: Lucky lucky :) Wish quitting was that easy for me (and maybe it will be). But congrats nevertheless!

I've started a thread in The Diary now and going to document the entire process. I've made my appointment with Michael France for 15th June (seeing his assistant first on 1st June). Maybe this will become a reality soon...

My only concern really is that someone said that most/some surgeons only agree to operate on people with a BMI above 35. I'm the heaviest I've ever been at 127kg, and my BMI is 35.6... As stupid as it sounds, I've been thinking about deliberately not trying to lose weight until I see the surgeon and book a date... Mad hey?

I guess I'm asking if any of you were below 35 BMI when you saw your surgeon, and was it a problem for you?

Bye all!
A :)
Back to top Go down
D'Girlz
Top Poster
Top Poster
D'Girlz

Female
Number of posts : 1749
Registration date : 2011-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide...   Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide... EmptyFri 22 Apr 2011, 4:27 am

I was with Patrick Moore and was out of pocket around $4300 (including anaesthetist and hosp excess). my PHF covered the rest, but I agreed it is the best money I have ever spent.

As for your GP - what a total tool. Unfortunately, he will be influencing so many people. When you have the surgery and look FINE, you will have to go back and make him eat his words!!!!

With regards to giving up smoking, I smoked prior to surgery, but after surgery I just could not stomach the smell or the flavour. I am now about 9 weeks post op and still do not smoke. Was my intenion to quit a couple of months post op, but worked out better than I expected.
Back to top Go down
raspberryswirl
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2011-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide...   Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide... EmptyFri 22 Apr 2011, 3:21 am

gail i was thinking i shouldn't be too rude, i was going to write i thought he was a dick too lol!!

with ben teague the out of pocket cost is 2800 including all appointments, anesthetist, other peeps in surgery etc etcccccc

Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female
Number of posts : 3694
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide...   Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide... EmptyFri 22 Apr 2011, 2:02 am

Hi Andrew,

The others are much nicer than I am. Your doctor sounds like a complete dick, get a new one. God I hate stupid uninformed people !!!!
As to the cost. The out of pocket with Michael is without doubt the best money I have ever spent. When I think of all the diet drinks, pills and other fancy stuff that I have paid for over the years this is absolutely nothing. AND you also save that money back in food pre and post op LOL

Smoking, try champix. I gave up before surgery using that. Mind you I am stupid and started again straight after. Giving it another go at the moment before the next surgery so lets see how it goes this time.

Hugs Gail
Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female
Number of posts : 3826
Registration date : 2011-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide...   Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide... EmptyFri 22 Apr 2011, 12:07 am

LifeAdventure wrote:
Hi everyone, thanks for your answers and help :))) I have some news, and a couple more questions haha!

Firstly, Kati and gottarhyme: Can you tell me who did your surgery? Sounds great to have no out-of-pocket expenses beyond the excess!

My EXCESS (out of pocket expenses) include EVERYTHING, but it is no where near YOUR costs! The anaesthetists costs are the killer...and can add a few thousand to the surgeon's fee. $2300 for the Surgeon seems pretty standard, then add another $1'500 for assisting surgeon and anaesthestist.

My bill totaled just under $5'500.

I applied to APRA (The guys who hold our superannuation in trust) for early release of funds to cover the operation. After all, If I was going to be dead by 65 I wouldn't be able to get my super and enjoy it anyway! APRA will release funds for this operation if your surgeon (and sometimes ALSO your GP) writes a letter in support of this decision. There is a whole thread on here advising you how to apply. I have not read of ONE person who has not been approved for early release of funds to pay for this op, yet, unless they have sent in the wrong paperwork!

So, your PHI pays for most of the op, and your Super pays for the other with no out of pocket if you do it that way. Which I have. Hope this helps!

Michelle
Back to top Go down
sassysmum
Part of the furniture
sassysmum

Female
Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2011-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide...   Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide... EmptyThu 21 Apr 2011, 10:13 pm

HI,
you poor thing, what an experience. It makes a very emotional request even more difficult. I remember when I first went to my GP and asked her for a referral I was very nervous and was surprised at how tender my feelings were, I cried through most of the conversation. Just admitting that I was needing help. Fortunately she was brilliant.

I was talking to my sleeve surgeon yesterday (Ray McHenry) (my sleeving date is 27th April - next Wednesday) and talking about this very things. His view is that the most prejudicial people against sleeving are other GP's, so Ray (a very passionate man about sleeving) is doing some education of other doctors and hospital staff. He said it's hard going.

So if they (other GPs) find it difficult to talk to another doctors about the surgery, it makes it super difficult for us to come to a GP with an 19 century attitude to a 21 century problem.

Like everybody suggested .... get another GP. Don't let that one put you off.
Good luck and many hugs.
sassysmum.
jan

Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide...   Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide... EmptyThu 21 Apr 2011, 9:18 pm

Hi and welcome.

OMG yes get a new GP, he's got his head back in the dark ages!!!

I have also had a dream run with my sleeve.
No problems what so ever, can eat and drink anything, breezed through the different food stages when first sleeved.

I am now happy and healthy and for the first time ever, life is very normal.

$2000 is cheap, I paid $4500 out of pocket back in 2009.
I was completely cover on the hospital side, my expenses where for the surgeon, his assistant and the aneathetist.

I have no regrets having the surgery, love my sleeve, best thing I ever did.

Good luck with your journey.

Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide... 217555 Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide... 217555
Back to top Go down
raspberryswirl
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2011-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide...   Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide... EmptyThu 21 Apr 2011, 1:25 pm

oh man, your GP sounds like a right old arrogant tard. definitely need to change doctors :(

how frustrating too that he has such a poor attitude. i wonder how many people he has misguided being like that :/

i'm sorry you have been treated that way
Back to top Go down
Moto Moto
Moto Moto

Male

PostSubject: Re: Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide...   Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide... EmptyThu 21 Apr 2011, 1:15 pm

Oops, how's that for arrogant? I meant to say MICHAEL France :)

Yes, I've made an appointment with another GP next week so hopefully will be having my first appointment with Dr France soon. I know $2000 isn't all that much, just trying to minimise costs a little bit, but I won't compromise on the quality of surgeon either!

:)
Back to top Go down
amanda O'D
Part of the furniture
amanda O'D

Female
Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2010-11-13

PostSubject: Re: Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide...   Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide... EmptyThu 21 Apr 2011, 10:38 am

Hi

Sounds to me like you really need to change GP's

Michael France is the Surgeon i will be using come October when my PHI kicks in, as for the 2500 out of pocket i consider it a small price to pay for my life.

As for quitting smoking the inhalers are a great way to start cutting down and you can combine them safely with a patch if you need that extra nicotine hit to stop the ciggies all together.

So my advice to you get a new GP then make an appointment to see Dr France, and the best of luck with kicking the smokes.

smiles
amanda
Back to top Go down
Moto Moto
Moto Moto

Male

PostSubject: Re: Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide...   Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide... EmptyThu 21 Apr 2011, 6:51 am

Hi everyone, thanks for your answers and help :))) I have some news, and a couple more questions haha!

Firstly, Kati and gottarhyme: Can you tell me who did your surgery? Sounds great to have no out-of-pocket expenses beyond the excess!

I've spoken with Andrew France's rooms and they're saying the out-of-pocket cost will be $2,300 + whatever the Anaesthetist's gap is. My PHI covers all hospital accommodation and theatre fees and 100% of the Medicare Scheduled Fee. I'm wondering if there's a highly skilled surgeon in Adelaide who doesn't charge so high above the Medicare Scheduled Fee?

So anyway, on to my news which isn't great. I had an appointment with my GP today to discuss this procedure and I was met with complete dismissal. I told him I wanted to quit smoking soon, before I have the surgery, and asked him if nicotine inhalers were ok in his opinion. He asked me why I wanted to quit and I said it was for my health and to save money. This GP told me, VERBATIM, that "It won't work because your reasons aren't good enough." I literally said WTF? (haha) and he said "If you don't just want to quit for the sake of quitting, it won't work." Our conversation then degraded into a semi-argument and I eventually threw my hands up and moved on to the gastric sleeving queries.

I asked him for a quick referral to Andrew France so I could go and chat with him, and he point blank refused to write one. I had told him everything I've tried to lose weight over the past decase and this GP went on to tell me that I obviously don't want to lose weight enough if I can't manage it without surgery and that people who get sleeved might lose weight in the initial couple of years, but their habits mean the problem comes back.

It was at this point I told him in excrutiating detail that he was a rude *****.... etc etc etc. I asked him how much research he'd done into gastric sleeving and it sounded like very little. Eventually I left after an almost verbal brawl...

Mainly I'm angry because of his dismissive and judgemental attitude but that's kind of irrelevant here. The only thing that concerns me slightly is that he stated he had dealt with "a number" of people who'd had the sleeving and every one of them had serious complications. Perhaps I'm blind, but it's very hard to find information giving a negative opinion of gastric sleeving and everyone on this site seems of the opinion that it's almost a miracle cure (albeit with a little hard work and recovery).

Are there studies on the percentages of how many people have serious issues? I've read *Lib*'s blog and, while inspiring, she seems to have suffered through quite a lot to get where she is today (two years later). I'd really like to find detailed negative opinions and detailed positive opinions to let me make an informed decision... *shrug*

Thanks again all :) I will answer private messages soon, I promise! Busy busy at the moment :(
Back to top Go down
Kati
Sponsor
Kati

Female
Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2010-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide...   Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide... EmptyWed 20 Apr 2011, 4:14 pm

Hi Andrew,
I spent three nights in hospital, and had a dream run.
I am with Health Partners (I'm ex-Adelaide, and still loyal) and they were fantastic - covered everything except my voluntary excess, easy on the paperwork and did not quibble over anything.
I was back at my desk job earlier than I expected - I took a week and a half - and felt pretty darn good. However, if I had any complications or a more active job I bet it would not have been so easy to go back so soon. I found I could do most things except heavy lifting and was not as tired as I thought. This was not a big problem, and just meant I had to get help or plan things out.

I wish you the best of luck, and hope it all goes well for you. It feels like a big leap into the unknown, doesn't it?
This has been the best thing I have ever done for my health, self confidence and personal wellbeing. I hope it is like this for you too!

love kati
Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female
Number of posts : 3826
Registration date : 2011-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide...   Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide... EmptyWed 20 Apr 2011, 11:37 am

Andrew, I was with Medibank Private, Basic Hospital, and I was completely covered except for a $250 excess that I paid at admission. But just call the fund to check. They will let you know straight away.
Back to top Go down
MarryMe60
MarryMe60

Female
Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2011-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide...   Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide... EmptyWed 20 Apr 2011, 9:32 am

Hi Andrew,

I was sleeved just over 3 weeks ago and spent two nights in hospital. I felt really quite well, and took two weeks off work to recuperate, but if you have computer work to do and you are sitting comfortably then that will be fine, it is lifting and twisting and heavy stuff to not do at all. I was out and about 1 week later, but that was to wander about the shops and visit a few people - easy stuff and didn't overdo it. I have had no trouble being back to work and have not felt tired at all, just make sure you take some vitamins and keep your fluids up. Before surgery make sure you have plenty of protein shakes, sustagen and pureed soups at the ready. I made up a soup with lots of flavour, and not too thick which saw me through the first week. After that, I pureed a casserole which was a tad thicker and a few tablespoons was all I could muster. I don't eat yoghurt but believe that is good for you, as it also helps to regulate your bowel with good bacteria.

I saw Mr D'Onofrio and he was excellent - and had my surgery at the Calvary North Adelaide and they were fabulous too. I'm with Mutual Community and all up, I was out of pocket $3,500. It would have cost me less, had I chosen to have the operation on another day, as apparently I ended up with the most expensive anaethestist.

I also was very scared and had the op booked last year but chickened out, which was silly because it has been so much easier than I thought. So far I have lost 7.5 kgs in 3 weeks and very happy.

Good luck and keep researching, and talking to people that have had the op. There are quite a few of us out there now and all of the others I know say it's the best thing they ever did, so good luck with your decision.

cheers
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide...   Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide... EmptyWed 20 Apr 2011, 12:22 am

• Firstly, I can't find much info on long term effects of sleeving. Does anyone know much about this?
  • It was used for years for people with stomach cancer before ever being applied to weight loss. The best thing you can do to find out about this is talk to the surgeon when you make an appointment to get the latest stats.
  • Any recommendations on which surgeon I should try to see in Adelaide?
  • I haven't used him but I have met him, and many people comment on how good Dr Michael France is. He did my daughter and son-in-law's surgeries and they're both doing well.
  • I'm with Medibank Private, Basic Hospital. Should I up my cover and wait the additional waiting period?
  • You'll need to get the item number and know which hospital you're going to use, then call the health fund and check. Do this asap so that you can switch over and serve any additional waiting time asap.
    Is there any chance I'll be able to work very soon after surgery (from home or in bed)?

Hmm, depends on what 'work' means for you. Some people have gone back to work after as little as a week, but I don't think any of them have found it 'easy', though they've managed. Don't forget, it is a big op, and then there's the effects of the anaesthetic that takes ages to wear off. In about week 3 most people find they get really tired for a week or two, but it's usually quite manageable.

• Back to top Go down
    Tempest
    Sponsor
    Tempest

Female
    Number of posts : 3694
    Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide...   Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide... EmptyTue 19 Apr 2011, 11:33 pm

Hi Andrew,

I am also in adelaide and any time you would like to talk to me to get more info you are very welcome. I will pm you my numbers

Will answer after your questions

• Firstly, I can't find much info on long term effects of sleeving. Does anyone know much about this?
    • This surgery has been around for years and years. Not for weight loss but for many other things. I know a woman that had it almost 20 years ago and she is fantastic. Mind you they have been doing it for about 7 years for weight loss so there is some good info out there.
    • Michael France is without doubt the surgeon to go to. He has been doing the sleeve the longest and has done I believe over 700. Not only that he is a fantastic bloke and a very good surgeon.
    • I'm with Medibank Private, Basic Hospital. Should I up my cover and wait the additional waiting period?
    • Not sure about this, I am with the top cover so you will have to get the number from the doctor and then check with the health fund. It cost me about 2,500 out of pocket in total. Got to tell you, that money is nothing at all, I have saved that in food since the surgery.
    • Is there any chance I'll be able to work very soon after surgery (from home or in bed)?
    • I also have my own business and huge commitments at home as well. I was in hospital for 2 nights and back at work in 6 days. Obviously couldn't do the heavy stuff but had no issues with going back straight away.
    This is without doubt the best thing that I have ever done for myself, I look around me and wish that everyone could feel as fit and healthy as I do. That is what it's all about, you want to be able to be there for your family in a way that you just can't be now. I can't even begin to tell you what it feels like to be healthy and normal. The energy, the lack of pain, basically the ability to be able to do everything.

Sorry I go on a lot LOL
    If you are even considering this surgery ring Michael's rooms straight away and make an appointment. There is a waiting list and you are better off to have the appointment and cancel it than wait for the last minute and be disappointed that you can't get in.

Good luck with it all.

Hugs Gail
    Back to top Go down
    sassysmum
    Part of the furniture
    sassysmum

Female
    Number of posts : 328
    Registration date : 2011-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide...   Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide... EmptyTue 19 Apr 2011, 11:28 pm

Hi Andrew,

welcome to the most amazing journey of your life ..... and that's just talking about getting involved in this forum. A fantastic place to start. and like you, am at the beginning. The long termers are truly inspiring.

In answer to the question re Private health cover, whether you up your contribution and wait the extra time or go now ... is a matter of your own finances.

In terms of long term sleeves, it's relatively new and cutting edge surgery and there is only evidence (and conversations on this forum) out to three to four years.

good luck with everything.
    hugs

sassysmum.
    jan
    Back to top Go down
    Moto Moto
    Moto Moto

Male

PostSubject: Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide...   Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide... EmptyTue 19 Apr 2011, 2:22 pm

Hi all :)

Well, this support group seems to be the place to be, and it seems as if everyone is very helpful and friendly :) I hope to get to know you all a bit better as time goes on.

I haven't actually begun the process yet; I haven't even seen my GP for a referral! I've been researching for some time and reading a lot of the posts on here too, and I'm thinking I might be ready to make the move soon.

My story is fairly typical. I've attempted dieting but I can't seem to master my willpower. I've spent hundreds of dollars on Weight Watchers and $700 on Cohen's, all to no avail. I'm only 34 years old and my tummy is so large that it's scary to look at :( I desperately NEED this surgery, but I'm still worried about costs, recovery time and long term effects.

If anyone can provide opinions and/or information on a few things, I'd really appreciate it...

• Is there any chance I'll be able to work very soon after surgery (from home or in bed)?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited by LifeAdventure on Thu 05 May 2011, 4:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Correcting spelling!)
    Back to top Go down
    Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide...   Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide... Empty

Back to top Go down

Contemplating sleeving in Adelaide...
    Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
    Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
    Jump to: