7 posters
AuthorMessage
freedom2Bme
freedom2Bme

Female
Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2010-07-29

Need advice on post op diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice on post op diet   Need advice on post op diet EmptyMon 11 Apr 2011, 2:36 pm

Hi just thought that I would add my two cents worth ;-)

when I was released from hospital 4 days after surgery I was told that I could have anything you are able to drink with a straw some of the things I had on my list where

drinking yoghurt
runny custard either home made or shop brought (just add extra milk to make runny)
soup soup and more soup all different kinds
up and go drinks
juices
milk
smoothies (runny)
icecream (yes it is counted as a liquid)

One thing I was told by my dietician was that I didn't need to stick to a shedual eg don't just have three "meals" a day but to have a nutricious drink when ever I was hungry, as at this stage the liquids pass through the system so quickly you need to keep topping up to get plenty of sustinance. ps I was also told to add some benifiber to one of my drinks each day to ensure I got the necessary fiber.
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female
Number of posts : 2601
Registration date : 2009-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on post op diet   Need advice on post op diet EmptyMon 11 Apr 2011, 2:20 pm

"Moved from "General Chat"
Back to top Go down
James
Sponsor
James

Male
Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on post op diet   Need advice on post op diet EmptyMon 11 Apr 2011, 10:19 am

Hello I would hold off Cruskits if your only 6 days out. Remember your not even at mushy stage yet. anything that can be puree'd is for the mushy stage. Hence means soft. Cruskits would still be a little hard.

all the best

James.
Back to top Go down
http://www.renshiforex.com
pominoz
pominoz

Female
Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2010-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on post op diet   Need advice on post op diet EmptyMon 11 Apr 2011, 8:26 am

Thanks all, managed to have some soup today which was yum.

Another question when are we allowed to have cruskits?
Back to top Go down
Paisley
Paisley

Female
Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2011-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on post op diet   Need advice on post op diet EmptyMon 11 Apr 2011, 2:55 am

Hi Pominoz

I am after my op and I am on

Breakfast 1 weetbix made mushy with milk

Morning tea 100ml yoghurt

Lunch soup or 1/2 opti

Afternoon tea 1/2 opti or custard

Dinner Soup or the rest of the opti

And of course - the water - sip sip sip

Everyone's different but I think pureed foods would be fine. I made my own soups because I find the cup a soups very salty

Otherwise check with your dietician

Good luck
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on post op diet   Need advice on post op diet EmptyMon 11 Apr 2011, 1:54 am

I lived on cuppa soups at that stage, I would get the spring veggie ones and strain the bits out, was just great to have something tasty and non-sweet!
Back to top Go down
realme
Part of the furniture
realme

Female
Number of posts : 763
Registration date : 2010-04-20

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on post op diet   Need advice on post op diet EmptyMon 11 Apr 2011, 1:08 am

Hi Pom
Im 14 days post op and at your stage I was definitely having soups. I have made chicken/lentil and veggie soup and blended it to a soup consistency and I have also bought some Musashi P30 protein drinks from Woolies (the choc one is the best) and they have some protein (1/2 cup = 10g protein). They say you should aim for 50g of protein a day. Im still struggling with that. It is important to keep up liquids at this stage so aim for at least 1 litre a day on top of your food. If you have tea my dietician said you can include that as part of your 1litre of liquids a day BUT if you drink coffee you can include this as your liquid intake cause coffee dehydrates you. Also have a look at the Post op section and you'll find lots of soups and recipes. Keep drinking soups until you can tolerate them well. After a couple of weeks I am feeling good eating soups and next comes mushies!!!

I usually have this as my daily intake;

cup tea dash of skim milk morning
optifast or musashi protein drink breakfast
water
soup for lunch 1/2 cup
water
tea or coffee for afternoon tea
soup for dinner
water
tea at night

Hope this helps. xxx
Back to top Go down
pominoz
pominoz

Female
Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2010-12-21

PostSubject: Need advice on post op diet   Need advice on post op diet EmptyMon 11 Apr 2011, 12:25 am

Hi,

I'm after some advice on post op diet. I am 6 days post op today and have been doing well. My surgeon put me on water for three days post op and then clear liquids followed by 1 optifast lasting the whole day for three days increasing to 2 opti per day I think for three days. Other than that I have had no clear instructions and when to introduce purees or mushies and what types of food are acceptable.

Now I am really giddy at the moment and feel like I just need something more, I have tried a bit of runny custard and blended chicken soup from the fresh section in the supermarket and both have gone down fine. Does that mean I would be ok to start soups??

In desperation I have bought a leek and potatoe soup kit from the supermarket.

Any advice much appreciated.

Pom x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on post op diet   Need advice on post op diet Empty

Back to top Go down

Need advice on post op diet
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: