D'Girlz
Top Poster
Top Poster
D'Girlz

Female
Number of posts : 1749
Registration date : 2011-01-09

new to this and getting a sleeve in june Empty
PostSubject: Re: new to this and getting a sleeve in june   new to this and getting a sleeve in june EmptyTue 12 Apr 2011, 1:29 pm

It is called a nasogastric tube and goes in through your nasal passage into your oesophagus and into your stomach. There are not many people who have had them. I did not.
Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female
Number of posts : 3826
Registration date : 2011-02-22

PostSubject: Re: new to this and getting a sleeve in june   new to this and getting a sleeve in june EmptyTue 12 Apr 2011, 12:31 pm

No. Never had a nasal tube. I think it goes into your stomach and provides you with fluids.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: new to this and getting a sleeve in june   new to this and getting a sleeve in june EmptyTue 12 Apr 2011, 7:08 am

I think it is called a nasal tube... I am not sure what it is for.. But I have read in a couple of people diaries that they have had to have them...
Back to top Go down
killerbabe82
killerbabe82

Female
Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2011-04-08

PostSubject: Re: new to this and getting a sleeve in june   new to this and getting a sleeve in june EmptyTue 12 Apr 2011, 6:12 am

what do you mean nose thing? and yes its the vomiting and leaks that scare me:(
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: new to this and getting a sleeve in june   new to this and getting a sleeve in june EmptyTue 12 Apr 2011, 6:02 am

I am in Perth my Dr is Dr Armstrong... I am lucky I don't have to do optislim which I thankful for...
I might do it maybe the week before surgery...
I would have been able to get it done earlier but I am going to Bali in March and I didnt want to get it done before I went..
I feel sorry for my work, I am taking a week of for Bali and then 2 and a bit for my surgery...
it will be great to see how we each go...
to be honest the only thing that scares me about this whole thing... it waking up in pain and vomiting.. as I have read that some people have that... and also this nose thing.. I wonder if everyone has it???
Back to top Go down
killerbabe82
killerbabe82

Female

PostSubject: Re: new to this and getting a sleeve in june   new to this and getting a sleeve in june EmptyTue 12 Apr 2011, 5:31 am

hi leishy i am just on the count down wish time would hurry up so can get my sleeve, i am booked in for 27th june, i to did a fasting test thing last week to test for diabiteis, was horrible made me feel sick, but i had it done when i was pregnant with my son so i remembered what it was like:)
i am not looking forward to the optislim stuff for 3 weeks prior to surgery as i think i will find it hard to stick to but will see:)
who are you getting to do your surgery and where abouts are you?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: new to this and getting a sleeve in june   new to this and getting a sleeve in june EmptyTue 12 Apr 2011, 2:14 am

Hi Killerbabe82..
I am booked in to get my sleeve done in June also the 15th...
I am so super excited... How is it all going?? I have my fasting blood test this morning...
xxx
Back to top Go down
killerbabe82
killerbabe82

Female

PostSubject: Re: new to this and getting a sleeve in june   new to this and getting a sleeve in june EmptySat 09 Apr 2011, 12:29 pm

that sounds great kylie and thats for your detailed reply:) i had a glucose test done the other day and have to go back to doctors next week to see if i have diabeties. i am really hoping i dont
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: new to this and getting a sleeve in june   new to this and getting a sleeve in june EmptySat 09 Apr 2011, 6:37 am

I also have a sleeve, was orginally referred for banding, didn't even know about the sleeve until I went along to the seminar. Mind made up on the night that I would get the sleeve.

Love it!! Happy and healthy now and loving life.

Last edited by Janette on Sat 09 Apr 2011, 6:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
killerbabe82
killerbabe82

Female

PostSubject: Re: new to this and getting a sleeve in june   new to this and getting a sleeve in june EmptySat 09 Apr 2011, 6:36 am

opps sorry yes getting the sleeve, i was going to get the band untill i did more research and decided the sleeve would be better for me plus hopkins said you get a better quality of life with sleeve:)
sorry should proof read what i wrote before sending lol
Back to top Go down
crazy_ma64
Part of the furniture
crazy_ma64

Female
Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2010-12-06

PostSubject: Re: new to this and getting a sleeve in june   new to this and getting a sleeve in june EmptySat 09 Apr 2011, 6:14 am

Hey Kileerbabe
I had the sleeve tooo. LOVE MY SLEEVE

JUls
Back to top Go down
Smurfette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Smurfette

Female
Number of posts : 1272
Registration date : 2010-08-15

PostSubject: Re: new to this and getting a sleeve in june   new to this and getting a sleeve in june EmptySat 09 Apr 2011, 6:13 am

killerbabe82 wrote:
hi thanks janette, smurfy and gail for the advise and your experience, its one thing to read about it and hear what your surgon tells you but to hear from people who have had the band is nice.
kind of freaked my self out last night when i read the problems and complications section on here, rand hubby in tears, the hardest part is hearing excellent stories but also the horror stories and not knowing which one is going to happen to me.
but regardless of the things that can go wrong i will still go ahead as i need to be heatlhy and happy and i not stuck in constant pain and emotional termoil of being over weight:)
thanks guys xx

Killerbabe82; I had the gastric sleeve, not the band; I thought in your first post you were going to get the sleeve done?
Back to top Go down
killerbabe82
killerbabe82

Female

PostSubject: Re: new to this and getting a sleeve in june   new to this and getting a sleeve in june EmptySat 09 Apr 2011, 4:14 am

hi thanks janette, smurfy and gail for the advise and your experience, its one thing to read about it and hear what your surgon tells you but to hear from people who have had the sleeve is nice.
kind of freaked my self out last night when i read the problems and complications section on here, rand hubby in tears, the hardest part is hearing excellent stories but also the horror stories and not knowing which one is going to happen to me.
but regardless of the things that can go wrong i will still go ahead as i need to be heatlhy and happy and i not stuck in constant pain and emotional termoil of being over weight:)
thanks guys xx

Last edited by killerbabe82 on Sat 09 Apr 2011, 6:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female
Number of posts : 3694
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: new to this and getting a sleeve in june   new to this and getting a sleeve in june EmptySat 09 Apr 2011, 1:07 am

Hi and welcome,

I am 18 months out and honestly best thing I ever did.
You are very welcome to have a look at my diary and it gives blow by blow descriptions LOL

Hugs Gail
Back to top Go down
Smurfette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Smurfette

Female
Number of posts : 1272
Registration date : 2010-08-15

PostSubject: Re: new to this and getting a sleeve in june   new to this and getting a sleeve in june EmptyFri 08 Apr 2011, 1:48 pm

Hi there new to this and getting a sleeve in june 355206

I had my sleeve two months ago today

What was the recovery period like? pain? Nearly non existant; just a little sore the day after, and knowing that one had a sore tummy for a couple of weeks; vertually no pain at all.

Did you have trouble vomiting alot? None at all until I couple of days ago, and I think that was only a reaction to the flu injection.

Was it painful to drink for the first time after the op? Not really, just had to take it slow.

Was it easy to stick to the diet plan of mushy food etc? Very easy, though by the end of the couple of weeks on fluids I was hanging out to start to chew foods again.

Were the cravings for food and sweets etc gone? No cravings whatsoever. I also eat by the clock as I actually forget to eat; and today I forgot to drink which is probably worse; got too caught up with my work and as I was so busy I never thought about it until lunch time, then too late if I wanted to eat lunch; and the same in the afternoon. Especially hectic today, but this was a normal thing pre-op, so shall have to break the habit.

How long till you were able to eat properly again, was there things you can eat at all anymore? About four weeks; and I have not had any problems at all progressing to each stage of my dieticans guidelines. I have not eaten much steak though; as I can only fit in one or two small pieces and I would rather eat half a cup of something else, may change at a later date.

All the best.
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: new to this and getting a sleeve in june   new to this and getting a sleeve in june EmptyFri 08 Apr 2011, 1:27 pm

Hi Jasmine and welcome to the forum.
Congrats on your decision to be sleeved, you are going to love it.

what was the recovery period like? pain?

First 24 hours are a bit rough, but I had a PCA so plenty of pain meds, and I was able to get up to the toilet. After that I just had Panadol IV for pain, No pain after the first 2 days just soreness.

did you have trouble vomiting alot?

I have been sleeved 16 months and I have had no nausea or vomiting at all.

was it painful to drink for the first time after the op?

I was on Nil By Mouth for the first 24 hours, then started on 50 mls of water hourly, no pain and I tolerated it well.

was it easy to stick to the diet plan of mushy food ect?

You have to stick to the diet plan of pureed foods while your tummy heals, which is around 4 weeks. Remembering that all surgeons are different. I followed my dieticians guidelines to the letter.

were the cravings for food and sweets ect gone?

Yes, no longer crave sweet stuff, and I have no hunger what so ever. I have to eat every 3 hours or so and I do it by the clock.

how lomg till you were able to eat properly again, was there things you can eat at all anymore?

I started on a normal diet 6 weeks post-op. I can eat and drink anything but a lot smaller amounts now.

Good luck with your journey.

new to this and getting a sleeve in june 217555 new to this and getting a sleeve in june 217555
Back to top Go down
crazy_ma64
Part of the furniture
crazy_ma64

Female

PostSubject: Re: new to this and getting a sleeve in june   new to this and getting a sleeve in june EmptyFri 08 Apr 2011, 6:51 am

Sorry Killerbabe82
Ive lost14kilos since the start of optipuk till 5wks post op.
started at 120.7 and was 88.6 on 5 wks anniversary. WOW 88.6 Can you believe that. I havent been this weight for I dont know how long. I think after my 2nd child. and he's 19 hahaha
I can understand your wariness with concerns to your 3 yr old.
I have 4 kids and altho they are older (youngest being 15) I would haunt meself if anything had of happened.
I felt confident going into all of this because I had heard NOTHING bad about my Dr.
I had done my research.
And no matter where you are in life bad things can and do happen. You could be hit by a bus tomorrow, find out you have something very wrong physically or any number of things.
So i would rather be healthier and more active and proactive in the choice.
I had the worst sort of post go up the nite before I was due to go in for my op but still I went ahead as I had made my decision. I didnt tell my husband or children about it but still feel it was worth it. I found when I got freaked out I just researched some more. Looked at youtube at the amazing wieghtloss pictures and just knew that I personally had no hope of doing that well on my own. Even after losing 6 kilos on opti I still thought maybe I could do it on my own, but then thought "who the hell am I kidding. I cant maintain this weightloss living on optipuk" I like food I love food. I just couldnt live on that crap forever.

BUT that was me and it is a very personal journey that we all have to make.I wish you all the best in your decision. Just keep looking and researching.
Back to top Go down
killerbabe82
killerbabe82

Female

PostSubject: Re: new to this and getting a sleeve in june   new to this and getting a sleeve in june EmptyFri 08 Apr 2011, 6:35 am

hi fraggle:)

thanks guys, yes will look through posts ect, this is the first time i have ever used a site like this so it will take some getting used to:)
can i ask how much weight you have lost in 5 weeks?
i just saw the complications part and was reading a few and now am even more freaked out:( i have a 3 year old so i am just scared of something bad happening to me, but i know i have to do this not only for me and my health but for him to make me a better mother
Back to top Go down
crazy_ma64
Part of the furniture
crazy_ma64

Female

PostSubject: Re: new to this and getting a sleeve in june   new to this and getting a sleeve in june EmptyFri 08 Apr 2011, 6:24 am

Hi Killerbabe82,
Welcome to the GSS forum. You will find all your answers plus probably many more you never thought to ask.
You could start by doing a search which is up the top next to FAQ and Profile.
Or alternatively you could just look into each section and scroll down through all the posts.
I did all of the above and found the answers to most of my questions and answers to questions I never even thought about. hahaha

Im still going through my recovery period, Im 5 wks out now and very nearly (well hopefully) at the end of recovery. It has been a little longer than some with moving onto next step of soft foods due to a Sliding hiatus repair but pain was really only upon waking in recovery. I was so surprised that you could have this major surgery and not really have much in the way of pain. Amazing. I went in thinking all the worst things tho so that may have helped me.
After that it really is up to you to take care of yourself so as not to cause any undue pain. Such as moving to quickly to start with, eating or drinking to fast or tooo much. OMG that really does hurt.
Havent vomited once but nearly did after consuming a whole stop & go In about 15 mins. Silly me
No it didnt really hurt at first I think due to the pain killers and I was sucking an awful lot of crushed ice to begin with. I was just so dehydrated due to super long fast before surgery.
No too too easy I have found Im chewing a lot of stuff Im not suppossed to but REALLY chewing it down to mush. If you dont it Hurts.
For me personally Im not actually having any cravings. I have been still feeling hunger but I think it is slowly going away. Most people are lucky in this regard as they dont seem to feel hunger.
And cant answer your last question as Im still to new to my sleeve journey.

Best of luck to you
Juls
Back to top Go down
Fraggle
Fraggle

Female
Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2011-02-24

PostSubject: Re: new to this and getting a sleeve in june   new to this and getting a sleeve in june EmptyFri 08 Apr 2011, 5:53 am

I can't answer any of your questions but i'm getting done in June by Dr Greenslade and I just wanted to say hi new to this and getting a sleeve in june 355206
Back to top Go down
killerbabe82
killerbabe82

Female

PostSubject: new to this and getting a sleeve in june   new to this and getting a sleeve in june EmptyFri 08 Apr 2011, 5:35 am

hi my name is jasmine and i am 28 and weigh about 160kgs, i am booked in for getting a sleeve with dr george hopkins, i am very excited, nervous and scared all rolled into one
i am wanting to hear from others who have had this done,
what was the recovery period like? pain?
did you have trouble vomiting alot?
was it painful to drink for the first time after the op?
was it easy to stick to the diet plan of mushy food ect?
were the cravings for food and sweets ect gone?
how lomg till you were able to eat properly again, was there things you can eat at all anymore?

i have pcos (not very bad but still have it) and also IBS, do either of these affect the weight loss?

would love to hear from you all:)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: new to this and getting a sleeve in june   new to this and getting a sleeve in june Empty

Back to top Go down

new to this and getting a sleeve in june
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: